Progressive International

Updated April 9, 2014
Updated April 9, 2014

2.7

Bill Reibl

Great people and rewarding work!

I worked at Progressive International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing housewares product category, fun research in marketing, fast-paced and time sensitive projects. Good work-life balance. Creative and development departments work together well. Strong growth opportunities. If you're passionate about consumer products and like to cook this is a fantastic company.

Cons

At times the company had growing pains. The company has moved since I left, but we did have gray cubicles that weren't very inspiring.

Not the best place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kent, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

I worked at Progressive International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some really great creative people who create great products.

Cons

Thinking is very backward. Good people are not rewarded and therefore many have left. Pay scale is low compared to other companies. People are afraid of change. Too many low performers have been there a long time and control the culture of the company.

Bring in strong people. Don't be afraid of change. Don't let the sales people be the only creative voice in the company. Stop being reliant on manufacturing in China.

If you're new to the workforce then this company will love you.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

I have been working at Progressive International

Pros

They offer a great benefits package, paying for full health and dental of all employees. The PTO policy is pretty good and they are flexible with some needing an altered work schedule. The CEO is doing a good job of trying to motivate the employees and I feel he truely does care about the thoughts and feelings of the workers.

Cons

Very hard to grow and advance in this company. The head of one department is too much of a ruler, only allowing growth in those that they like. Too much of their history in their career development is used to base whether they feel someone is ready for something, not that persons actual performance. If they weren't ready to take something on at that age, how could anyone else be, right? Only those that can be manipulated and molded will do well in their realm. I also feel that they are also big on employing those with little to know experience because they are easy to manipulate but then throw them into situations that require some experience to test if they can float. Being set up to fail seems like a constant theme. Oh, and don't even think of talking to anyone about anything without their knowledge, especially the CEO. At times I'm afraid to be around him in a social setting for fear I'll say something that might be deemed below his level or unfiltered.

Listen to and trust your employees. They are the one's doing the research and working hard to do the best they can provide. Why do you treat them as little kids that don't know anything? Why must they ask permission to do anything? I feel like we can't create anything without everyone in the building and outside signing off that we've done it right.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Upper management turns a blind eye to true employee feelings

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

I have been working at Progressive International

Pros

The employees that work here are dedicated and hard working. The company is on the rise as far as sales is concerned and is trying to change the way they operate in terms of strategies, policies and getting things done.

Cons

There are a couple of people in management that are abrasive, hard to work with and very demoralizing. That's the hardest part of the job is not being appreciated and made to feel that you are 2 inches tall.

I would recommend that they take a step back from looking at the sales $$ and bottom line and look at their employees. Are they really happy? Are they being compensated for the hours and time they put into their jobs?

Small minded company

I worked at Progressive International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some great people work at Progressive. They are very committed to what they do. They produce some really great products.

Cons

This is a company that rewards people who are average performers. Good performers are kept down. They don't want new ideas. If you want to succeed just do the minimum. Don't work overtime and don't take ownership over what you do. It isn't respected and most will find it threatening.
    They pay below other companies in the Seattle area.
    They have diluted their brand by selling it to a large retailer (located in Arkansas). As a result they have lost a lot of respect in the industry.

Worked for Progressive International? Contribute to the Community!