Project Leadership Associates

Alan Bratton

Building Right

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Project Leadership Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Restructured multiple practices by bringing in senior technical talent (still hiring), consolidated some practices to match current market trends, and transitioned from practice-director ownership of customer relationships to a dedicated sales team to drive growth. There is opportunity here both financially and for personal growth. New CEO Alan Bratton has done this before and has an open door to employees.

Cons

None. To the contrary, restructuring and growth are creating opportunities for people. Plenty of long-time PLAers are onboard with the changes and are getting it done.

Advice to Management

Stay transparent and keep adding color to the big picture. It's a changing industry we're in, visibility is important.

Tremendous Company to work for

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Houston, TX

I have been working at Project Leadership Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I started working at Project Leadership Associates about 2 months ago and have to say that I am thrilled with the company. I have worked at many companies across the US and must say that this is by far, the best company that I have worked for. Unlike many companies that say that they promote cross-training and education, PLA thrives on promoting it and there is nothing that they won't back you up on if you have the desire to learn. One of the big questions that I asked prior to accepting the offer at PLA was what their backlog was like because I don't like sitting idol and was informed that they had a large backlog and could more than keep me busy. I must say that I was not disappointed in any way whatsoever as I have more work than I know what to do with and that is the way I like it. I would highly recommend this company to anyone looking for more than just a job. This is definitely a career oriented company.

Cons

There are no cons that I have seen. Very pleasurable company to work for.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work as I am very pleased to be part of the family here in Houston and across the country.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Business Development Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Business Development Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Project Leadership Associates

Pros

Great opportunities within the company. Management really wants each employee to grow and succeed in their career. Would highly recommend PLA to others.

Cons

None that I can think of. The company is growing and I can only see it going up from here.

Steady Career Company

Current Employee - Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Project Leadership Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is opportunity for career growth and company growth. I've seen it and experienced it personally, I've seen people go from entry level Help Desk all the way up to a CCNP Network Engineer and beyond. Its all about how hard the individual works. If you want to do something at PLA, go and do it. "Coffee is for closers only." The CEO will drop what he is doing and talk to you, no matter who you are. Management will work with you if you work with them. The CEO is cutting out a lot of the ambiguity and inefficiencies within the company. Since the year began there is a better defined hierarchy in place at PLA. There's a lot of room here for people with an entrepreneurial drive. This company isn't for someone who wants a free ride.

Cons

Many people tend to publicly post negative comments of the company due to their preconceived notions about what is going on regarding recent changes without proper knowledge of what's really going on. In the past, social gatherings where more engaging and exciting and had better arrangements, but over the past 2 years they are seemingly lackluster.

Advice to Management

People are worried about the future of the company due to the unknown nature of the recent company changes and are fearful of being owned by a private equity firm. Employees could benefit from being explained the ownership structure of PLA and what the private equity firm is planning for PLA. It seems most people are thinking Gordon Gekko owns PLA vs a company that is interested in long term growth. Improve or increase company outings and post meeting social events.

Senior Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Project Leadership Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company pays their employees well.

Cons

Currently going through management changes

Advice to Management

Keep up with the changes and keep moving forward.

Version 2.0

Current Employee - Management Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Management Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

I have worked for PLA since December 2014 so I am not familiar with the "way it was" but I can share the "way it is". PLA has some VERY smart people working here. I have had the opportunity of sitting in on strategy meetings for clients where several options are presented and several of the subject matter experts or senior consultants will explain why their solution is the best for the client. These health discussions lead to excellent solutions for our clients. I also find that clients respect the staff and solutions that are presented. In summary, PLA has good people doing good work and clients are respecting the work that is being done. On the employee side, there is a monthly Town Hall meeting with the CEO to keep staff informed of the happenings within the company. There are quarterly All Company meetings to provide additional updates. Once a month there is an after-hour social in the lunch room where they provide food from local venues. My experience is that they respect a work/life balance and expect you to provide value to the clients while you are working and respect that there is also life outside of work and want you to enjoy that also.

Cons

It appears that there are some former employees that are working hard to blemish the reputation of the company and encourage current staff to quit. From experience I know that the grass is not always greener on the other side, it is just on the other side. I have encouraged some of my friends to look at PLA when they are in job search and I expect as time goes on I will be working with some of my former colleagues .

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on building the best company that you can and allowing your staff to show our true colors. You have some excellent managers in place that are building and nurturing some great teams.

Changing Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Project Leadership Associates (Less than a year)

Pros

Small, agile, paced for growth.

Cons

Stuck in a vertical rut, and unable to penetrate into the enterprise space.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. Go against the norm. Be willing to take risks.

A sinking ship, stern is in the air. Nothing but the rats left aboard.

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Project Leadership Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great personal relationships with colleagues within your team. Centrally located, many clients are walking distance from the office.

Cons

Passive aggressive, off-putting management team. There is no transparency, they will promise you the world and never deliver. Aggressive put up or shut up attitude. Employees constantly told if they do not like the environment to pack up and leave.No understanding of the consultant-client relationship. No transparency, no clear career paths, you are placed at clients according to availability and not skill set. Not much positives left, the company described in positive reviews seems like a fairy tale dream and not reality. People leave or quit and no one is communicated. You find out when attempting to email/call for work related tasks. A high level VP with over 10 years experience was UN-ceremoniously fired and a half witted reason was given. Do yourself and your career a favor, stay away!!

Advice to Management

Start from scratch, replace entrenched middle management while you still have good talent. Passive aggressiveness and stubborn ego will not restore PLA to its past prominence. Listen to your talent, make them feel like they are part of the process, be transparent, value your employees, build career paths, dont shun valuable input. Focus on what you can do better and not on what other companies are doing. Talent and clients are leaving for a reason. Focus on a product so top notch other firms wont matter.

Regional Director

Pros

Great Company to work for as long as you are not looking for a free ride. I have been empowered by management to do my job every step of the way and never held me back

Cons

More mentoring from top down

Advice to Management

Hire better talent

Senior Managing Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great place to work. I've been here 4 years, and many people have been here 15+ years. VP is the kind of guy that will take off his suit and go run network cables with you...never asks you to do something he himself wouldn't do or hasn't done before. Over the years, after such life events as car accidents, loss of a baby, etc, I always get phone calls, flowers, etc...they truly think about you. And if you work hard, it's recognized by bonuses and raises regularly. The company also quarterly reviews all its numbers with the employees, outlining revenue and net income, upcoming investments, improvements to infrastructure, insurance updates, and much much more to keep everyone informed. Good pay, excellent insurance, tons of vacation time, etc all round out the package. Overall, a good place to work that is continually growing.

Cons

This is a fast paced business, with clients expecting white glove service and zero down time, so be prepared for light travel and late nights and weekends...but I've yet to find an IT job at this level that didn't require that.

RSS Feed </> Embed