Project Time & Cost, Inc.

www.ptcinc.com

Project Time & Cost, Inc. Reviews

1.8

Joseph P. McGonagle

My time at PT&C was very rewarding.

Former Employee - Senior Cost Consultant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Cost Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at Project Time & Cost, Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The high level of Professionalism amongst the people that I worked with and the challenges presented were exceptional. The traveling to various project location was very rewarding.

Cons

The down times due to lack of work made the future employment with the company a challenge. This was not very conducive to any personal long term planning.

None

I worked there six years, then got terminated when work got slow.

Former Employee - Cost Estimator
    Former Employee - Cost Estimator

I worked at Project Time & Cost, Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Projects were interesting, and often challenging.

Cons

When I first started, I worked in the forensic division, which has since been sold. We did forensic analysis after hurricanes Katrina and Rita (2005). We typically worked 70 and 80 hour weeks, were paid for 40 hour weeks. We were promised a large bonus at the end of the assignment, but the company manipulated the books so no bonus was paid. I am still angry about that.

I moved to the cost estimating division, performed estimating and scheduling for the Department of Energy mostly. Lots of travel, some years was gone 50 weeks. The work was interesting, sometimes even challenging. For the first four years there was plenty of work, then the bottom started falling out. Eventually the company dropped from about 150 project controls personnel down to 50, at which point it was my turn to get terminated. Remarkably, they forgot to fire me the week of an all hands conference call, at which the CEO announced that the company had been forced to make some tough decisions, but everything was now OK. That call was on a Wednesday as I recall. Friday afternoon I was terminated. Pretty ugly.

If you go to work for this company, understand that you are there as long as you are employed on a project, then you are dust. Negotiate the best salary, do not believe any promises of bonuses etc., only believe what is strictly on your paycheck. And keep your resume updated at all times, and in circulation.

This is ironic, I actually liked some of the upper management. I don't imagine recommending that management be honest with employees is very useful, certainly that has never been the policy at this company, at least after they were purchased by the investment group. No doubt the company is trying to primp itself so it can be sold off, and that would probably be the best thing that could happen.

PT&C is a terrible place to work.

Current Employee - Cost Estimator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Cost Estimator in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Project Time & Cost, Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was a decent company when I started here.

Cons

A good old boys club does not begin to describe this place. They have way too many VPs that do nothing except sit around and brag about how important they are and how much money they make. The best and brightest employees get fired when work is slow. There is no communication with and no respect for workers at all. No career advancement. The person who wrote about discrimination is right - I have personally witnessed a lot of corruption. PT&C thinks itself above the law, but it is common knowledge the company is being sued by many former employees for discrimination. The personnel department is a joke and they openly badmouth current and former employees. People say the CEO is only here to dismantle the company and if he gets it ready to sell by the end of the 2014., he'll get a million dollar bonus.

Selling the forensic divisionwas a horrible mistake but I am sure they the forensic employees were glad to go with all things considered. They should have gotten rid of some of the members of "upper" management instead. The CEO is an arrogant SOB - everyone hates him.

No respect for employees

Former Employee - Cost Estimator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Cost Estimator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Project Time & Cost, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They had very interesting projects

Cons

There was no respect for employees

Company discriminates against women and minorities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Project Time & Cost, Inc. full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They do good work. (If they can find it.) The company is struggling now and people are jumping ship.

Cons

Joe McGonagle, the new CEO, manages the company like he's still in the Marine Corp. Anyone who offers suggestions or ideas is canned. Forget about talking to him - he'll consider you insubordinate. Women are not promoted in this company nor hired into senior positions. There is no support for human resoiurces, and this impacts all the employees.. Despite being a federal contrator, PT&C refuses to follow state and federal employment laws. It's notable that there are only 3-4 African American employees despite being located in Atlanta. Also, the company does not pay its bills on time.

Try following the law. Respect your employees. And break up your good ole boys club.

Weak upper management, hire and fire rapidly and often without rationality.

Current Employee - Cost Estimator in Oak Ridge, TN
    Current Employee - Cost Estimator in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Project Time & Cost, Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting projects, reasonable salary. Opportunity to work at multiple locations.

Cons

Rapid changes in personnel due to difficulty maintaining workload. Often sends untrained individuals out into field, sink or swim mentality. When it is time to reduce staff, little rationality to the process. Often skilled employees are terminated while poor performers are retained because they happen to be on a project at the time of layoff.

Replace poorly performing managers with individuals who care about the future of the company. Develop a system to rate employee performance, and retain high quality staff.

Good firm for highly motivated cost-engineers.

Current Employee - Cost Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Cost Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Project Time & Cost, Inc.

Pros

Suitable for highly-motivated engineers interested in developing project management, project controls, and cost-engineering skills. High exposure to large government contractors and agencies. Opportunity to work on numerous projects in a broad range of engineering disciplines.

Cons

Tight deadlines. For a short time, the company attempted to develop matrix management approach. Some personnel don't like extensive travel and commitment required to advance at this firm.

Most successful company model has been where small teams are utilized as independent working units. Would improve cost compensation for good performance.

Very difficult place to understand, given weak management, limited feedback, and excessive upper levels of management.

Former Employee - Anonymousost Estimator
    Former Employee - Anonymousost Estimator

I worked at Project Time & Cost, Inc.

Pros

Interesting projects, fun people to work with, and opportunity for travel (but of course this is not so good if you don't want to travel).

Cons

Management will fire people as soon as there is little or no work. Given the cyclic nature of the business, this happens frequently. The company is now owned by an investment banking group, who has little apparent interest in promoting loyalty among employees, but seems to take a very bottom line approach. The company is highly focused on federal work, which is not a good market right now, and probably will not be for the future, hence opportunities may be limited. Although they have two divisions, forensic and project controls, the two groups have very different cultures, and there is limited opportunity for cross pollination.

Although management claims that their employees are the heart of the business, you would certainly not know it from the cavalier way they dispense with even long term, loyal employees who performed well, and traveled extensively. Do not expect any appreciation for your hard work, advancement seems to be a matter of kissing up to your boss, or possibly blind luck. It is a little bizarre to see advertisements for new employees at the same time existing employees are being terminated, either they hire a collection of losers and then have to fire them later, or there is something weird about the system. I think the system is pretty weird, leading back to top management.

Reduce the number of high level managers. Take the time to understand what the field workers actually do, and try to make their life a little easier. And don't fire people as soon as they have 5 unbillable days, plan ahead, and seek to find alternative work assignments for them. Possibly keep them on part time or on contract status, you never know, you might need them again some day.