Promega

Be The First To
Add Photos

Promega Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Linton

Bill Linton

Helped confirm my desire to become a scientist

Research Scientist (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsWonderful work environment. Everyone is friendly and welcoming and they are accepting of college students who are thriving to learn. Not only a great place to work, but a great place to learn.

ConsVery hard to get hired in R&D unless you have a Master's or PhD. Many of the interns and project employees are found through company connections, making it hard for anyone not connected to get in.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. You do an excellent job at motivating employees and creating a place where you can work and feel respected.

Family atmosphere is more like a small town environment.

Production Scientist (Former Employee) Fitchburg, WI

ProsLearned alot about production and performing independentaly. People can be nice and are generally professional ! Nice facilities, good curb appeal and some of the perks are nice, but realize its a PR stunt. The CEO knows marketing and it shows especially with the media.

ConsCroonizism is high, and seniority seems to win out. Don't correct people when they are wrong because they will make your life hard. High number of older workers who happen to be insecure with their positions and are often forgetfull about directions or what they said or didn't say. Not much accountability for certain individuals and integrity is questionable.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, because I know most of the management will retire shortly and are only going to do enough to get by and aren't able to or just don't want to change.
    Advice to possible buyers of the company...has good marketing, a decent product line, good R&D, but needs alot of cGMP work and guidance. Their QA is a joke!

Farm team for Madison biotech community

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsWith an advanced degree, you have lots of opportunity to shape your career development. I was fortunate to have managers who truly did care about my development and used their own time and company resources to invest in me. In return I worked my ass off.
    Non-cash perks are numerous
    Beautiful working conditions with lots of natural sunlight

ConsPay is below average
    CEO is a nut who runs the place like a fiefdom. If you're in, you're in.
    Business decisions and strategy is dictated by who has the CEO's ear, not a sound business case
    Global offices ignore any direction from home office: Tail wags the dog.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in some professional managers and C-suite executives. Founder has outgrown his ability to drive the company and lacks the skills to manage a large global organization.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Could use a litte more direction and organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood People, Fairly relaxed work environment

ConsLittle direction given, Little training, Asked to complete tasks by figuring out on your own how.

A good company with great products

Fas (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsExcellent products and training programs

ConsToo much Cronyism among upper management

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the folks in the field

It is fun to work at Promega

Sales (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsA lot of good dedicated and hard working folks. Try to help as much as possible. They do beleive in the team concept.

ConsFrom a sales point of view, they me be a little too slow to in adjusting to the changing needs of the customers

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be a bit more clear in describing the goals of the company.

Promega corporation review- marketing and sales

Product Manager (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsFlexible scheduling
    Friendly, competant co-workers
    Privately held company

ConsPay is significantly less than other similar positions at other companies

Good experience. Healthy, up-beat, bottom-line attitude.

QA Manager (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsGreat benefits, wonderful healthcare facility. Management is eager to be successful, and it trickles down to employees. Good support for technical teams.

ConsToo darn cold and snowy in winters! Sometimes, when things get too exciting, management tries to take shortcuts - which lead to mistakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't immediately shift to outside consulting to fix things. In-house staff is very smart and dedicated, and should be a part of the process for improvements.

Promega is a leading edge company in life sciences with a wonderful campus and environment to work.

Administrative (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsThis company has plenty of great and interesting people from a broad spectrum - scientists to home beer brewers. Many midwesterners with a good sprinkling of people from around the world. Their flagship headquarters building is unique and the company cafeteria was far better than many restaurants I've experienced.

ConsIn a competitive world and crowded job market, you'll need to be amongst the very best and well educated. There is good training, but as with many larger organizations, you should be pretty self sufficient.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a contract worker, I received a good initial welcome and guidance to fit in. However, that faded over time. At the point in which my time was up, my departure was pretty anticlimactic with almost no recognition that I was leaving. I didn't expect any grand send-off. However, even HR seemed to just go through the minimal requirements to send me on my way, with barely a "good luck".

My experience was regular working in Promega

Small Volume Dispensing Tech (Former Employee) Fitchburg, WI

ProsGood food in the cafeteria, however, it gets boring after a while. Fitness facilities in each building. Flexible when it comes to take a day off ( at least for people with higher positions).

ConsPromotions depends on who you know. Therefore, you might end up with a terrible supervisor in your department. A person that will have not idea where things are, or how to get them done. So you will be better off asking a more experience co-worker for directions. So if you want to be promoted, you better start kissing your boss rear end.
    A lot of gossip goes around which make your work environment uncomfortable.
    Poorly pay, and miserable salary rise. In the meantime you will be invited to a company meeting where they will spit on your face how much money is the company making every year. And show off about the company private hangar and jets.
    Lastly, you better have a decent salary position in order to take advantage of the fitness program and facilities, and the schedule flexibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring supervisor out of the blue and promote those who really deserves it.
    Give a better rise and salary to those who make possible the success of your company, that means everyone! you know the company can afford it..

Worked for Promega? Contribute to the Community!