Promega

Add Photos

Promega Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Linton

Bill Linton

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Supportive environment, great people, outstanding place to work

Production Scientist (Former Employee)

I worked at Promega full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCollaborative place to work. Your opinions matter and you will be given all the tools you need to succeed. They treat their employees very well. The leadership team is top notch and very supportive of career goals. The company is expanding rapidly and Mr. Linton is extremely committed to growing to company and expanding Promega's footprint on the biotech community. Overall, the relationships I built while I was there were extremely valuable and I grew as a professional and a person while I was there.

ConsPromotions will be slow but steady if you prove yourself.

I know people who work hard every day for Promega that can barely afford to feed their families.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Madison, WI

I worked at Promega full-time for more than a year

ProsBeautiful buildings and work spaces. Supportive and friendly people. If you are a scientist or management, you can expect decent pay.

ConsMany are underpaid for a company that makes this much money. "Money only has value when you apply it to something that creates stuff. You could have a million dollars stuck in your back pocket, but if you never took it out and did anything with it, it's worthless. It's just paper."

Your employees create stuff. They deserve to live a good life too. Don't forget about them.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour real treasure is your employees. Not statues and paintings.

Promega is state of art biotech company. It is full of creative force with gentleness and firmness.

Technical Support (Current Employee)

I have been working at Promega full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWhen you go for interview you can expect at least 18 people to interview you. Humans choose a human. They can not make a mistake and if they do it will be a small one.
Company trains you through a close supervision of experienced colleagues and sends you to courses that are beneficial for your future professional carrier. I feel as if I had finished a business school after working there for a couple of years.
People that work there resemble me of my family or school friends.
All space is full of art and each building offers sports activities. Restaurant serves organic food grown in Promega’s garden.
If you need a doctor she or a nurse are right there for you. No need to waist money and time.

ConsSalary is small - it does not increase with the inflation rate. Few vacation/holliday days.
There is pre-set pace of advancement in every aspect; however, this is inherited by system of the society. I wish to see more California spirit in Promega. I believe that would drive up creativity at least by one log scale.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more self-confidence. Do not obey meaningless rules. Do not categorize people according to a recent course that you have just taken, or do not obey blindly a command of upper management.Get a bigger picture for each and every one. Then you can unlock a full potential of each person. Relax and get more vacation outside of your home-job setting. Experience something new.

Constraining

Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Promega full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPhysical environment and surrounding property is very attractive and well kept; there are on-site cafeterias and workout facilities; the company contributes to the community

ConsQuite a bit of turnover in upper management; management in general does not have authority to make decisions; there is an undertone of fear and second guessing.

Good team environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Promega full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAll of the people I worked with at Promega were interested in strong relationships and getting a good product out to customers. Technical Support is considered VERY important and this leads to happier customers. Most groups within the organization see career path as a key component to keeping their folks happy.

ConsPromega isn't always the highest paying company in biotech. There is variability in the strength of work-life balance between different areas of the company.

Helped confirm my desire to become a scientist

Research Scientist (Current Employee)
Madison, WI

I have been working at Promega as an intern for less than a year

ProsWonderful work environment. Everyone is friendly and welcoming and they are accepting of college students who are thriving to learn. Not only a great place to work, but a great place to learn.

ConsVery hard to get hired in R&D unless you have a Master's or PhD. Many of the interns and project employees are found through company connections, making it hard for anyone not connected to get in.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. You do an excellent job at motivating employees and creating a place where you can work and feel respected.

Farm team for Madison biotech community

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Promega full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWith an advanced degree, you have lots of opportunity to shape your career development. I was fortunate to have managers who truly did care about my development and used their own time and company resources to invest in me. In return I worked my ass off.
Non-cash perks are numerous
Beautiful working conditions with lots of natural sunlight

ConsPay is below average
CEO is a nut who runs the place like a fiefdom. If you're in, you're in.
Business decisions and strategy is dictated by who has the CEO's ear, not a sound business case
Global offices ignore any direction from home office: Tail wags the dog.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in some professional managers and C-suite executives. Founder has outgrown his ability to drive the company and lacks the skills to manage a large global organization.

It is fun to work at Promega

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Promega full-time for more than a year

ProsA lot of good dedicated and hard working folks. Try to help as much as possible. They do beleive in the team concept.

ConsFrom a sales point of view, they me be a little too slow to in adjusting to the changing needs of the customers

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be a bit more clear in describing the goals of the company.

Promega corporation review- marketing and sales

Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Promega full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible scheduling
Friendly, competant co-workers
Privately held company

ConsPay is significantly less than other similar positions at other companies

Good experience. Healthy, up-beat, bottom-line attitude.

QA Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Promega

ProsGreat benefits, wonderful healthcare facility. Management is eager to be successful, and it trickles down to employees. Good support for technical teams.

ConsToo darn cold and snowy in winters! Sometimes, when things get too exciting, management tries to take shortcuts - which lead to mistakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't immediately shift to outside consulting to fix things. In-house staff is very smart and dedicated, and should be a part of the process for improvements.

Worked for Promega? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Promega reviews and ratings in Madison, WI — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Promega CEO Bill Linton. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Promega employees.