Promega

Updated December 15, 2014
3.5

Promega Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Linton
Bill Linton

Good people, good company.

I have been working at Promega

Pros

As a whole, Promega does a good job of making sure its employees are happy and enjoying their jobs. There are excellent facilities (gyms in almost all buildings, cafeterias with quite good options, available massage therapy/whirlpool use, and much more). I'm most impressed by the friendly people that work here.

Cons

It can be difficult to get hired/the hiring process can be pretty long and taxing. Many new employees are hired as "project" employees, which are 6-month positions without benefits; however, many project employees do get hired on permanently.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at Promega full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing company culture, you are valued as a person and are not just treated as a number, you are given the tools you need to be successful,dynamic career growth is available, as a private company we are not a slave to share-holders, people feel good about the work they do, employees are happy which makes it an enjoyable place to be every day, wonderful work life balance,

Cons

You need to be able to roll with the punches here or you will be frustrated- things change quickly in this industry and that can be difficult at first

Work to protect Promega's culture as the company continues to grow

I was fired for reporting harrassment. I was being bullied & harrassed. thought I could trust my supervisor to help me

Former Employee - Expendable Garbage in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Expendable Garbage in Madison, WI

I worked at Promega full-time (less than an year)

Pros

you make lots of money if you are a scientist. There is the "illusion" that you matter here when you really do not.

Cons

Non-degree employees are underpaid and dont really matter here. Dont report any harrassment or problems or you will be thrown away like trash.

dont punish the person who is being bullied and harrassed. Also, I witnessed a cover up of testing that was not done properly. Probably another reason I was thrown away. They didnt want someone around that wanted to do things the right way. If only their clients knew what was going on there with their products.

Strong Company

I worked at Promega

Pros

Great Company to work for, strong family friendly environment.

Cons

A lot of turnover in upper management.

Great place to work; love the people.

I have been working at Promega full-time

Pros

Close group of people, feels like family. Products that contribute to scientific community. Perks of gym, great benefits, social events.

Cons

Can be stressful. Limited growth opportunity.

I know people who work hard every day for Promega that can barely afford to feed their families.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at Promega full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Beautiful buildings and work spaces. Supportive and friendly people. If you are a scientist or management, you can expect decent pay.

Cons

Many are underpaid for a company that makes this much money. "Money only has value when you apply it to something that creates stuff. You could have a million dollars stuck in your back pocket, but if you never took it out and did anything with it, it's worthless. It's just paper."

Your employees create stuff. They deserve to live a good life too. Don't forget about them.

Your real treasure is your employees. Not statues and paintings.

Supportive environment, great people, outstanding place to work

Former Employee - Production Scientist in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Production Scientist in Madison, WI

I worked at Promega full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Collaborative place to work. Your opinions matter and you will be given all the tools you need to succeed. They treat their employees very well. The leadership team is top notch and very supportive of career goals. The company is expanding rapidly and Mr. Linton is extremely committed to growing to company and expanding Promega's footprint on the biotech community. Overall, the relationships I built while I was there were extremely valuable and I grew as a professional and a person while I was there.

Cons

Promotions will be slow but steady if you prove yourself.

Promega is state of art biotech company. It is full of creative force with gentleness and firmness.

Current Employee - Technical Support in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Madison, WI

I have been working at Promega full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When you go for interview you can expect at least 18 people to interview you. Humans choose a human. They can not make a mistake and if they do it will be a small one.
    Company trains you through a close supervision of experienced colleagues and sends you to courses that are beneficial for your future professional carrier. I feel as if I had finished a business school after working there for a couple of years.
    People that work there resemble me of my family or school friends.
    All space is full of art and each building offers sports activities. Restaurant serves organic food grown in Promega’s garden.
    If you need a doctor she or a nurse are right there for you. No need to waist money and time.

Cons

Salary is small - it does not increase with the inflation rate. Few vacation/holliday days.
    There is pre-set pace of advancement in every aspect; however, this is inherited by system of the society. I wish to see more California spirit in Promega. I believe that would drive up creativity at least by one log scale.

Have more self-confidence. Do not obey meaningless rules. Do not categorize people according to a recent course that you have just taken, or do not obey blindly a command of upper management.Get a bigger picture for each and every one. Then you can unlock a full potential of each person. Relax and get more vacation outside of your home-job setting. Experience something new.

Love the place

I have been working at Promega

Pros

Work culture, opportunties to grow, good benefits

Cons

Mid-size company with big competitors, untapped potential

Medium Sized Company that survives against large competitors

I have been working at Promega full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, Great technologies. Can do attitude in areas that we are serious about, and there is commercial potential. Great management of the production and quality assurance areas, in particular.

Cons

Upper management wedded to building their own fiefdoms and power base, rather than doing what makes sense for the company. Not enough oversight of upper managers who have sold the organization no some direction that cannot be accomplished. R&D program run on the basis of political considerations, rather than commercial principle.

Start building metrics that reflect sales, rather than just following the lead of a senior manager who is persuasive and offers up the potential of lots of payoff. Better analysis of markets in which you plan to compete.

Promega Photos

One of Promega's buildings
Living wall in a Promega building

+ Add Photo