Promethean World

Updated October 13, 2014
3.3

Promethean World CEO and Director Jean-Yves Charlier
Jean-Yves Charlier

Passionate about education, but continuously changing priorities leads to poor delivery and follow through.

I have been working at Promethean World full-time

Pros

There is a lot of autonomy in the field roles. You are truly managing the territory. The travel demands can be extensive, but there is also freedom for flexibility with your schedule as well when in the home office. As a company, they recognizes the urgency to transition to a device agnostic, software and assessment solution provider, due to K-12 education market demand. The company is well known in the education market.

Cons

While the need to transition is acknowledged, the path to do so and the product to deliver is not clear. It seems like the feedback and suggestions from the field team is not readily considered. An upward career path/management opportunity is limited unless you are willing to move to Atlanta. Coaching and mentoring by management is also limited- it was much better, but has declined quite a bit within the last year as the company trimmed back on its field team, but increased upper management responsibilities.

Good place to work! Great team

Current Employee - Global Marketing Intern in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Global Marketing Intern in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Promethean World part-time

Pros

- During my interview they were super nice
    - Great team atmosphere
    - Goo upper-management

Cons

I have nothing negative to share

Good company to work for...

Former Employee - Channel Sales Manager - South America in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Channel Sales Manager - South America in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Promethean World full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good compensation and benefits. Freedom to execute and focus.

Cons

Focus on hardware and missing the software business opportunity

Software is competitive but the company does not know how to monetize it

Good people; Company Strategy execution lacking

I have been working at Promethean World full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great People dedicated to the work

Cons

Poor company vision and execution of direction

Have a clear vision and execution plan

Learned a lot; internal communication weak and inconsistent in message and vision for company employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Promethean World full-time (more than an year)

Pros

New CEO working hard to turn the company around which is being supported with fresh thinking from reorganization and mission efforts

Cons

Pipeline development weak; some leaders do not agree or support new direction that undermines progress and a positive and trusting environment

Watch ageism perception influencing personnel decisions, inappropriate relationships by senior leadership with others, the perception of not honoring input from talented personnel by dismissal of ideas presented because it was not the senior level person's "idea" - all will impact growth and future of company

Flexible, Understanding Management

I have been working at Promethean World

Pros

Although the economy is still rocky and most companies are shafting their employees to stay afloat, Promethean is still offering competitive salaries and premium benefits. Most managers seem to be tuned into the needs of their people and are accepting and understanding of things that may come up.

Cons

It seems as though the management doesn't plan too far into the future. There are always long-term goals that are communicated, but the short-term planning seems a bit fuzzy. Even simple things like internal growth and space planning. The office was too small when we moved in it. People are constantly being shuffled around to accommodate more people.

Great people working there, new stuff coming

Former Employee - Front End Dev in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Front End Dev in Seattle, WA

I worked at Promethean World full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Innovations are going on, in transition

Cons

A little bit too relaxing, but the situation is changing

Wonderful group of individuals. Shame that politics and current profit margins get in the way of moving forward.

Former Employee - Test Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Promethean World full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The Seattle office was a great place to work. I worked with some of the greatest people I'd ever gotten the opportunity to work with. The new office was very nice. There was a casual atmosphere where open communication/collaboration on projects was encouraged. The product was interesting, and I felt good working on something that I thought would benefit education by making it easier on teachers to teach and students to learn.

Cons

Sometimes things felt a bit disorganized. The Seattle office felt very isolated from the other major office locations. The regular non-management employee is often out of touch with what's really happening in the company until big changes/updates are made. The company is suffering in the current educational software market which is shrinking due to poor economies.

The best group of people to work with!

Current Employee - Customer Care Technician in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Technician in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Promethean World

Pros

The tech support team is very diverse personality wise and ethnically. We're a fun bunch and it's a pleasure to spend time with them. Promethean as a whole is a cool company. Although we're growing, at times it still feels like a mom & pop shop. Because of what Promethean does you get to feel like you're affecting change in the educational world.

Cons

There isn't much room to grow in most departments. There's no definite path for advancement. If you want to "move up," then you basically need to "move out" and go to another department because there's no place else to go. Working here is cool and all, but you should have other interests if you get antsy. Also, there's very little possibility of getting into upper management unless you've had that type of job before or have had untold success at your current position in the company. We also don't hire from within much although the jobs are advertised internally first.

Find a way not to pigeon hole the employees. "Once a worker bee, always a worker bee" should not be the reality.

One of the best company I had worked at

Former Employee - Channel Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Channel Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Promethean World

Pros

great people with great passiion for education and technology

Cons

I got laid offf too soon.