Prometheus Real Estate Group

Updated August 15, 2014
Updated August 15, 2014

3.2

Jackie Safier

Great company to work for, lots of room for advacement

Pros

Collaborative environment, supportive executive team, good people and properties, good work life balance. Prometheus is the best property management company I've come across.

Cons

The pay is lower than I could get at another company. Not everyone is on the same page when it comes to policy and brand. There are some individuals who bring down the brand and the company is slow to discipline.

Reevaluate compensation packages in order to retain your best people. Focus on compliance to ensure consistency across the portfolio.

I've been here over 8 years and I don't see myself going anywhere else

Current Employee - Property Manager  in  Alameda, CA
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Alameda, CA

Pros

Great America closed to the public and opened for Prometheans and their family once a year. The Prometheans I work with each day are always fun to work with. Special events for all Prometheans to attend when awards are won. Most holidays are paid days off, plenty of vacation and sick time is accrued each year. No one ever makes enough, but I am very comfortable with what I am making, plus the bonuses are always good. 401k match program to help with retirement. There is also enough advancement opportunities for those who really work hard to get to the next level.

Cons

There is some politics, but that is everywhere. Housing discount is nice, but with the rents so high in the SF Bay Area, some Prometheans still can't aford to live at the property they work at.

I love the direction Prometheus is going and I enjoy coming to work each day.

Solid management who really care about employees

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

Pros

Great culture, friendly co-workers, management does everything they can to let employees know they're valued.

Cons

New policies can seem a little silly sometimes, occasionally I feel like I'm not current or modern or cool enough to fit in.

Look into raising commissions and creating more of a reason for leasing staff to stick around.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Property Manager

Pros

Lots of properties, spread out over the bay area and pacific northwest. There are some really great people in the organization that value growth from within and fostering a positive work environment. Lots of committees to participate in, which helps develop career growth. Opportunities to move around and experience other areas/ different types of properties.

Cons

At times it can seem as though decisions are made based on a popularity contest and feels cliquish, rather than work performance. Lot's of changes and re-assignments of portfolio managers, making it difficult to have your work and your team's performance recognized consistently.

Love Where You Work

Current Employee - Recriuter  in  San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Recriuter in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Opportunities are endless; it’s a great feeling to enjoy your job while working w/ great people in a fun environment

Cons

Don’t have one but if I did it wouldn’t be big of a deal when compared to the great things

I think that we need to do more to get the Prometheus name out.

It really is amazingly different!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Prometheus cares about it's employees (aka Prometheans) and the communities that we operate in. There are numerous opportunities to participate in organized volunteer activities like Habitat for Humanity and Housing Industry Foundation, as well as being supported for projects inline with your personal passions.

Roundtable meetings happen at regular intervals and new employees get to sit down with the president and other execs to share how they feel about the company and their jobs.

Training is provided for everything from our cultural traits to positional skills.

With the growth of the company there are lots of opportunities for movement and advancement.

Healthcare benefits are as good or better than any company I have ever worked for.

Cons

Let's call this a challenge rather than a "Con"... No matter how you slice it, company culture should be the same through and through, property to property, manager to manager, team to team. This requires individual responsibility for words and actions.

Continue to develope current employees and give them every opportunity for advancement.

The very best in class experience I have had in Property Management - great culture and people to work with.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Wonderful fellow Prometheans to work with and for. I have the best boss I have ever had and that says a lot. I enjoy the fast pace as well as the results my teams are able to share with each other. The Educational allowance has come in handy and they believe in my personal and professional leadership growth. We all work really hard and with great pride in helping each other and our customers. The culture is easy going and relaxed on dress code. I can be my creative self and truly empower my teams to deliver great customer service. The properties are lovely and I am proud to oversee them. They are taken care of and the teams can do what it takes to keep them clean and well maintained. I enjoy the generous bonus program that I work hard to achieve each year as well as the time off to take care of my family as well as vacation. Overall a wonderful place to call "Home" at work!

Cons

No company is absolutely perfect. I purposely stay away from any politics and negativity - its an easy choice and isn't very prevalent throughout the company.

Keep the Vision clear and share it ongoing with all Prometheans. Work more towards a strategic career mapping plan for current Prometheans so they know what they are working towards as their next step in their career. More generous vacation policy is always welcome and appreciated - maybe 4 day work week with 10 hour days?

God of Fire? The Good of Prometheans? Or Is It The Perception They Want You To Have?

Pros

Many locations
    Nice sites
    Good Upkeep
    Great, hardworking on site teams

Cons

Work to Home Balance-Very Poor, Many, Many Property Managers Work overtime without additional pay-they are "salary". Urgency in the need of things; many times upper mgmt wants items Now or "YESTERDAY"with no time to finish tasks in a realistic manner.
    Housing-(1) Use a DIFFERENT TIME OF THE YEAR TO BASE PROMETHEAN RENT INCREASES ON-Increases to their OWN Prometheans have been over $100,$200+ in a single year. What a joke. Many cannot afford to live on site where they even work; & then at that, many hoops to do when you live there.20% off a huge Market Rate. At least to their "own" they should review this. Upper Management vs Field Prometheans-let see who can afford this the most? they SHOULD REVIEW THE RATES IN THE WINTER TIME, but no. Must make money even from their own. This is a hot subject with MANY Prometheans and MANY ARE NOT HAPPY ABOUT THIS. A CAP OF 8% has now been placed, but that is still HIGH; with your own. It should be no more than 2% especially when budgeted increases are at typically at 3%.
    Pay-(1)Commission Structure; they still have NOT revised this after Upper Mgmt said it was being looked at. People have left due to this. Much pressure to lease & get availability down; but yet Upper Mgmt NOT DOING WHAT THEY SAID THEY WOULD. (2) Low-ball on pay wages if possible-this is the South Bay-one of the most expensive places to live, wages need to coincide with area.
    Very High Medical Costs. Offer Pet Insurance instead of any break on Childcare Expenses(-that is funny.). There needs to be 2 set of Medical rates-(1) for Field and (2) Corporate. Some field Promethean wages are as low as $12 to $13 hrly.
    Very Clickish and recognition program is not well thought out. PFM's do not recognize their own PM's or teams they oversee properly or consistently. Only if they are liked & then they are promoted.PFM's have their own Clicks.
    SOS/floaters? a team here? sorry but when they are ALL WORKING AT FAIR OAKS there & there is no help this does NOT HELP OUR SITES. Many sites need help & have to plead to others for coverage for either if someone gets sick or just to take a day off. Ridiculous.

Review the Overall Brand; because the items mentioned form the brand and yet produce results you want in the end. Better Commissions, Housing, Medical, Pay, Home vs Work, Clickish and Favorite Culture, Coverage at sites-Need more SOS/Floater team members to assist.

Mean Girls Club - Regina George Exists

Former Employee - Leasing Specialist  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Leasing Specialist in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

The company is very organized and have top-of-the-line software. Their training programs are decent but few and far between and they have great community volunteer programs (even though most are related to children). The properties they do have are in good areas, making it easy to lease and maintain high availabilities.

Cons

Little to no room for promotion or expansion in the Portland/Metro area. Upper management is accountable for close to nothing and frequently pawn off their tasks on subordinates, while taking all credit. Property managers are unreliable and often use work time to complete personal errands. Upper management makes no attempt to resolve issues and concerns between and amongst team members and properties. Unless you are part of the portfolio manager and regional operations director "Mean Girl" clique you will never be promoted or even recognized for anything you do. In fact, they pretend you don't even exist, averting eye contact with anyone below property manager status. Management and upper management are very exclusive in socializing, taking out only those in their upper management clique to special events and dining, then posting it for all others to see on Facebook. Employee housing discounts are not given consistently. Several employees were denied discounted housing because of maximum employee housing capacity. Others were granted discounts and the employee housing capacity was overlooked. This is blatant inequality. Vacation hours are accumulated but office staff will be denied vacation time while upper management and maintenance staff is typically approved.

Treat your employees with respect.

Management needs to practice what they preach. Espically mid level management

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager

Pros

Pometheus has a high expectation when it comes to customer service. They allow you to be honost.

Cons

There is a strong culture towards "favorites"
    They reward bad behavior
    If you have a strong work ethic, you will be dummped on without appreciation
    They promote more from the outside then inside the company
    Pay low, commissions worse.

Upper Management needs to get in touch with reality as to what happens at the property level regarding middle management.

Worked for Prometheus Real Estate Group? Contribute to the Community!