Prometheus Research Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Leon Rozenblit, J.D., Ph.D.

1. Really talented and caring group working on some exceptional projects

Current Employee - Connecticut in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Connecticut in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Prometheus Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really think some of the negative reviews aren't from actual employees because the information provided just isn't true. It is a small to medium sized company and we mostly all know each other and know what others are working on. Starting with the Management Team: These are really smart people without large egos. They are thoughtful and they really listen: to each other, to our customers, to the staff. They are open to and embrace change. They are willing to reassess and make changes, keeping the company light on our feet and flexible. These people really know their stuff and don't try to be something they are not. The CEO is very accessible and easy to talk to. He listens and he cares. These people are also very practical. Their goal is to do the best work possible for our clients with an eye towards future growth in both product scope and services delivered. The management team appreciates and acknowledges great work and they give credit where credit is due. The staff here are talented, smart, nerdy, fun, and super nice. We work hard but we also know how to balance what is important. I really feel everyone supports each other, which I haven't found at other companies. And the group that works here is very diverse. The company provides exceptional training for both on-boarding and continued growth. They have a weekly learning lunch to share knowledge about projects, products, personal growth, and general information. We have a great work at home policy and having flextime to support our families. The company is growing and there are many new business opportunities available. The clients we have do exceptional and interesting work. It is nice to work on projects that aren't about making money but about helping people live better lives.

Cons

Is it perfect? Nowhere is perfect. The company is growing, which is great, but that means growing pains. About 1/4-1/3 of our staff aren't located in New Haven, which creates some issues, but honestly, the company handles that very well. The pay could be better. The hours can be long at times as it is at any smallish company. But if you are the type that is able to draw the line to keep your life in balance, you'll be fine. Some upper management is keenly aware of the staff dedication and step in when people are over-extended.

Advice to Management

Make sure to reach out to all staff and ask how they are doing and for their opinion. Don't just assume that things are going well and everyone is happy. You have some really great people and some work very hard. Make sure the same few people are shouldering the bulk of the burden while others are coasting along. Look for more ways to foster communication and morale. Provide time for the people in New Haven to get together and socialize. That kind of thing is very important to short and long term job satisfaction. Snacks are great; talking to each other is much more valuable.

2. Good company with lots of opportunity to grow

Current Employee - Project Manager in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Prometheus Research (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Fully stocked kitchen with unlimited food, coffee and tea 2. No Dress code 3. Very relaxed and informal work environment

Cons

None yet but may be the staff is very inexperienced and fresh out of schools so a training needs to be enhanced

Advice to Management

Put more emphasis on planning

3. Good Company

Current Employee - Unix Systems Administrator in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Unix Systems Administrator in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Prometheus Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company seems to be fairly transparent, at least in my department. VERY friendly. Remote work is fantastic.

Cons

Sometimes things are a bit disorganized to please clients, which makes more problems later. But the company seems solidly afloat still, so maybe there's a method to the madness.

5. Great people doing challenging and important work

I have been working at Prometheus Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance (typical weeks are 40-45 hours) People are mostly really nice, smart, and easy going The work is interesting and meaningful Good opportunities to advance Relatively flat structure with collaborative teams Remote work options for most employees

Cons

HR painful to work with Comp lower than market (but hours are lower too)

Advice to Management

Ask your employees how they're feeling and what they think you should change.

6. Have to disagree with the negative reviews...

Current Employee - Client Services in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Client Services in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Prometheus Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I saw some of these negative reviews, there were just SO many untrue things said about Prometheus that I felt like I had to set the record straight. I never write reviews on these things, but Prometheus is actually a really awesome place to work, if you ask those of us who ACTUALLY work here. I'm pretty convinced that the negative reviews are a disgruntled former employee, and most likely multiple bad reviews by the same person. I think that because so much of the stuff just isn't true at all! So here's what is true: 1) There is absolutely no requirement to work more than 40 hours a week. In fact, management goes above and beyond to be completely sure that no individual employee is even planned to work more than 40 hours a week across their projects. If they are, the person's manager makes sure that it's fixed so that they never feel expected to work long hours. Anyone who is clocking 50-60 hours a week at Prometheus is either working hard instead of smart OR just plain not telling anyone that they are doing that. Any time that I've volunteered to work extra, the management team has thanked me extensively, and even offered me comp time to make up for the fact that I stayed extra to help us meet an important deadline. 2) Company prefers people with 0 experience / molding people to "The Prometheus way" is completely false. I have not seen any hires over the past several years (aside from interns) who have not held the same position that they were being hired for in at least one other company. I assisted with the BA interview process, and experience as a BA was one of the necessary qualifications. 3) No sales / business growth recently? Whoever said that *clearly* does not work here! The business development team gives quarterly updates on what they are working on in regard to new opportunities and markets. It's fun to hear about, and just because every single direction doesn't pan out does not mean that the company is stagnant or not growing. 4) The company "pushed out senior IT staff"? In reality, the average tenure of the folks on our platform engineering team is at least 6 years with Prometheus. Maybe more - they've all been here way longer than me! I've rarely seen any turnover on the engineering team (or what other reviewers are calling "senior IT staff?"). Nope, those guys are all still here and have been from the very start. The team has grown around its core members, not turned over to a whole new group. Again, completely false statement. 5) The CEO is honestly one of the most intelligent people I've ever met. It should be no surprise to anyone that he somehow managed to get his "diploma" (though most of it refer to it as a PhD these days). This comment is just disrespectful and completely undeserved. 6) There are 4 women who hold management positions at Prometheus, and at least 10 men. Someone who says Prometheus "prefers promoting young women" is really saying "One of my female colleagues got promoted and I was uncomfortable with that because I'm a man. Clearly, that means I deserved it more and that she only got promoted because she is a young woman." Seriously, the December 12 reviewer needs to get over himself. I can see *exactly* why he didn't make it at Prometheus with a sexist attitude like that. 7) I don't know how one could argue that the company is swarming with consultants. That is just an odd complaint, and from someone who actually works at Prometheus, I can tell you it isn't true. 8) The company focuses *SO* much on ethical reporting in all aspects of the job -- status reports, and ESPECIALLY client billing. I feel like the commenter who said that ethical practices are not followed must have said that only to get a rise out of people, probably knowing just how important it is to the company. There are 3 layers of review for all time reporting -- Project Manager, Functional Manager, and finally the finance team. Dishonesty in any form is simply not tolerated at this company, which makes it a great place to work in my opinion. If any manager at Prometheus knew about a team member being dishonest or unethical in any aspect of their work, that person would not be working there anymore. It's just not the way Prometheus works. 9) Right up there with honesty & ethics is data security. HIPAA compliance is taken so seriously. Again, I think whoever said that HIPAA compliance isn't followed must know how important it is to Prometheus, and said it just to get a rise out of the management team. It is again completely false. 10) The COO is a megalomaniac who controls the largest department? Lol OK, first of all, the COO is definitely not on a power trip. He is a really nice and laid back guy. There really isn't anyone on a power trip at Prometheus... it's just not the kind of place that it is. Second of all, anyone who actually works here knows that the VP of engineering runs the largest department... not the COO. Sorry, but that Dec 12 reviewer does not work here and probably hasn't for quite some time. 10) So beyond just refuting what the other reviews said, there are a ton of great benefits to working at Prometheus. The management team has been awesome. They actually care about the employees and do everything they can to make it a place we want to work. If you're offered a chance to work here, you should take it and not be dissuaded by these negative comments.

Cons

Prometheus is not for everyone. If you are one of these "fly under the radar" type people who wants to play on Facebook all day and get paid while your boss doesn't even notice, you are not going to work here for very long. You have to be willing to make an effort. It's a small staff creating really cool software for some very big names in research. That means everybody has a job to do, and you will be noticed when you're not pulling your weight. And no, pulling your weight does not = work 60 hours! :-P

Advice to Management

I appreciate that the management team really listens and tries to pivot to make changes when the employees need change. It's a growing company, so there should be growing pains expected. It's really a fun place to work with positive and smart people!

Nothing sadder than a bunch of mediocre people trying hard to be cool

Current Employee - Data/Business Analyst in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Data/Business Analyst in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Prometheus Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are just out of college and can't find another $50K/yr job, take this because you will learn so much about what not to do at your next job. If you are a consultant with nothing to offer looking to be overpaid by a company that desperately wants to pretend to be a big, cool dog, then seek out a contract here. Company swarming with consultants, hanger-onners, and remote staff taking an undeserved salary: you could be one of them!

Cons

Terrible leadership, no knowledge or understanding of management or organizational psychology (which is ironic, considering CEO somehow got a diploma in psychology). Senior staff bathing in groupthink and this will be their ultimate demise, to which they've been painfully dragging themselves since they opened. You will be expected to clock in 60+ hours and pretend that it's cool not to have a life. Perks and job nowhere near the level that would justify such dedication. Company prefers people with zero experience because leadership is not confident (or educated) enough to manage experienced employees. Senior staff don't respect each other and constantly talk behind each other's backs. If you leave or get fired, expect them to make jokes and disparaging comments about you in meetings. Company has been stagnant for years since they pushed out the only senior staff with actual development knowledge. IT company run by non IT people. Don't let the bin client names fool you, no real new contracts in years, just small potatoes here and there. Top 2 people have no clue about marketing, business development, or software, they're just playing business. COO who is in charge of largest department is a try-hard megalomaniac with no previous experience, who thinks calling his personal biases "company culture" justifies his disdain for any other opinion. People have tried to help them along the way, but since they think anyone who disagrees is either not intelligent or capable, the company will eventually die the slow corporate death they've been dying for years. Bad HR practices, shady, and no structure. Lots of mistakes in communication from HR and daily operations (finance, administrative, office management). Super high turnover, very demoralizing. Questionable ethical practices in all areas, including client billing. Negative work environment; uneven pay; preference for promoting young women; zero work-life balance; poor pay; demoralizing meetings; coercive atmosphere; incompetent senior staff; lack of self-awareness; no real future for the company. July 7 review is pathetically obvious.

Very good experience overall

I have been working at Prometheus Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really like the people I get to work with, and (most of) the clients are very appreciative. Everyone's smart and generally keeps their cool, even when things change or a fire starts. I'm not sure where other reviewers are getting their information, but everyone I've worked with has been professional and has always put the needs of the clients first. Yes, this is small company, and the management team could do a much better job of facilitating orderly changes to technology and processes ... but this is also consulting and IT company, so I think there's always going to be an element of instability (unless you're working in someplace big and boring). The work itself ranges from occasionally tedious to brag at the bar to your friends how cool it is. It's also pretty nice that the work can be traced to actually helping science and people.

Cons

This place can get hectic. As I said, fires do start, sometimes big ones. When they do though, everyone keeps their calm and puts them out. Management talks about improvements on this front, but they've been slow coming. If they actually gave everyone the time they need to focus, we'd go from good to great, and a lot of the small issues would evaporate.

Advice to Management

See above. Come through on the promises about efficiency and time to focus, and I'll have no problem giving Prometheus 5 stars. Unlike some reviewers, I like hearing about new clients and opportunities, so please don't stop. Some of the recent things I've heard about are actually exciting, and would keep me here for a while.

Still figuring out what they are doing -- Amateur directors

Current Employee - Business Analyst/Data Analyst in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Business Analyst/Data Analyst in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Prometheus Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Kitchen is full of food Free Parking in downtown New Haven

Cons

No proper documentation for new hires Amateur directors misleading job description no standard way to do things Still figuring out how to do things so if you are new and thinking someone will help you then forget it you have to have 40 billing hours a week and 50 hour work week high cost of living in northeast , however very poor compensation especially for 50 hour work week

Advice to Management

If you are hiring for help desk position then please don't call it data analyst position Data Management is not same as providing help desk support Have proper on boarding process

Incompetent and Unprofessional Management Staff

Current Employee - Web Developer in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Web Developer in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Prometheus Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food and parking!! NOTHING ELSE!!

Cons

Terrible compensation, free food because taking lunch is frowned upon by management, negative working environment, HR of no assistance, sloppy work, lazy and unprofessional IT and BDev staff, lack of training, inexperienced staff and new hires, client privacy a major issue/concern, staff is told to do things the "Prometheus way" also known as the wrong way of doing things, markets are constantly changing, backstabbing and "walking on pins and needles" environment, IT staff is unable to complete projects in a timely fashion or adhere to deadlines. I am looking forward to leaving this poor excuse for a company. They are always hiring because no one wants to work there!

Advice to Management

Hold your IT and BDev management staff accountable for the terrible job they are doing, offer a real training program, and stress professionalism and client privacy. HIPAA compliance is NOT being followed.

11. Entrepreneurial, Fast Moving and Growing Company

I have been working at Prometheus Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

See the results of your efforts in a small company, direct communication with executive and management teams. Little to no politics and all feedback is professional and handled in a positive manner. Smart, enthusiastic co-workers who truly seem to like to work with each other. Generous paid time off starting year one and lots of company provided food (lunches, snacks and drinks).

Cons

Smaller companies come with more limited/expensive benefits policies.

RSS Feed </> Embed