Prometric

Updated Mar 31, 2014

Prometric President and CEO Michael Brannick

Michael Brannick

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Lots of challenges and opportunities!

I have been working at Prometric full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people are great - really smart and hard-working. The company has great benefits and time off.

ConsThere's alot of work, and some find the pace pretty challenging. I personally love it...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep communicating with the employees; encourage all managers to do the same.

Heartless example of corporate America

I worked at Prometric full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMost employees care and are friendly.

ConsManagement uses employees as if they were thoughtless cogs in a machine. Work yourself to death and then get thrown out like yesterday's trash.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO should stop writing his little stories about his trips to his beach house. People who haven't received raises in years don't care about his beach house. Oh, I forgot; executives still get a bonus and a raise while everyone else goes without. Get out of your office, stop scowling at people and see what it is like in the real world.

A good starting point for a job with okay pay

Network Engineer (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Prometric as an intern for less than a year

ProsLearn a lot of technical details

ConsDoesn't seem like much room for advancement

Blood From a Turnip

I worked at Prometric full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou can develop a lot of skills, as you can take on as much work as you can handle. The service they provide allows people to work to get ahead in life, so it can be fulfilling if you're able to keep sight of that.

ConsSenior management will tell you that they know how valuable you are, but it will trickle down that the reason you can't get what you need to do your job is that the sun doesn't shine on people like you who represent more cost than revenue. They are obsessed with putting metrics to everything, to the exclusion of having any grasp of what they're trying to count. Any problem, no matter how stressful, ridiculous, or shamefully obvious a sign of organizational incompetence is "working well enough" if it doesn't impact the CEO or his inner circle.

Advice to Senior ManagementAging technology that isn't working very well doesn't need a cost justification to fix it, it puts the revenue you already generate at risk. Stop making people struggle with a lack of leadership on how to accomplish their responsibilities while burying them with paperwork to track which client is taking up their time.

Run do not walk away from working at this company.

Systems Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Prometric full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThey will take a chance on people who may be psuedo qualified.

ConsThis company used to be a great company to work for. I was there for 15 years and up until the last 2 years it was an enjoyable place to work. Now they no longer offer training, competitive salaries or job advancement opportunities. They have been systematically monitoring long time employees with high salaries for any possible infringement they can use to justify firing them instead of laying them off. The new management has been taking a tack of getting rid of high salaries and replacing them with people fresh from college even though they do not have the necessary experience. I checked with my old client and even though they were Prometric's largest client she has not even been contacted in the 2 months since I left.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to valuing what your empoyees do and not how much the cost. Your product is really going down hill. Regain the commitment to integrity that you once had.

Racism? Nepotism? Cronyism? Here's a Place with All Three!

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I worked at Prometric full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you need some BIG COMPANY experience on your resume, Prometric is somewhere to get it - providing you are prepared to suffer for your entire tenure. In this case, that experience comes at a very high cost.

ConsIn my more than 20 years of experience, Prometric is, without question, the worst place I have ever worked. Ironically, one of my challenges while working there was overcoming poor Glassdoor reviews in order to get people to accept job offers. Looking back, I feel a little bad about the ones I did manage to convince.

It's difficult to articulate everything that makes Prometric such an abysmal place to work, though I was surprised by several things. First, this is the only place I've ever worked where yelling is considered an acceptable and effective method of communication. Worse still, thinly veiled racism is accepted, and even encouraged by Senior Staff. "What about HR?", you may ask. Prometric HR does an excellent job of assisting management in flouting the law - doing just enough to make a legitimate EEOC complaint an uphill struggle. Oh - and did I mention I'm Caucasian?

Beyond the obvious problems I've already pointed out, there's a sense of despair on the part of the employees. Maybe it's because the default response to any problem at Prometric is to fire someone. For the record, I was not fired (despite how bitter I may seem), but I had many close scrapes, and more than once was forced to terminate one of my subordinates against my own wishes. The project is late? Fire someone. The budget is low? Fire someone. A C-level executive is having a bad day? Definitely fire someone!

Many here have pointed out that Prometric might provide an opportunity for growth - a ticket punch, as it were. One thing to keep in mind: in a year and a half, I was not allowed to spend a single penny on training for any of my 18 subordinates.

I could continue, but I think I've provided enough information to motivate anyone who can get a job someplace else to do so. There is one exception to what I've outlined here: if you're related to someone in a high place, this could be a cushy job for you. Prometric may not promote family values, but they certainly promote family members!

One final point: Prometric has more than 5,000 employees spanning all 50 states and more than 150 countries. I worked at the corporate headquarters in Baltimore, and that is the experience I write about here. Experience from one test center to another can vary widely, so if you're considering a test center position, I recommend you continue your research.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement won't listen, but in order to fix things, it has to start at the top. This company is sick, and sometimes the only way to remove infection is to cut it out. I don't know how many corporate executives would need to be replaced in order to break this morally bankrupt corporate culture, but replacing the CEO and all his direct reports would be a decent start.

Good for beginners or training, No hope for career growth.

QA Tester (Former Employee)

I worked at Prometric full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood amenities in office
Sea side view

ConsExtremely poor management, no respect for employee, blame game, don’t believe hiring skillful people, politics, policies keep changing, poor salary appraisals.
Good for beginners or training, No hope for career growth
Good amenities in office
Sea side view
Horrible Management
Salary is belowwww market rate
No Training
Very little value placed on employees.
Height of Micromanagement
Very Greedy company
Company expect you to work long hours and expect nothing not even thanks.
Poor project planning and scheduling
No leadership quality in team leads

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your policy and useless people in management. Respect your hard working employee.

I do not recommend to work there.

I have been working at Prometric

ProsCompany provide adequate benefit package. 401K, Medical, Dental, Vision.

ConsPoor, almost unexcited communication. No training.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more respect to your employee – they make your company.

Okay

I have been working at Prometric

ProsThe team I work with is really nice.

ConsIt is not a very organized company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training would have been nice.

Honest feedback.

I worked at Prometric

ProsMiddle and upper level positions have competitive salaries.

ConsThe company culture is thin and often negative.

Advice to Senior ManagementHealthy company culture cannot be built on the profit motive alone. People need affirmation and inspiration.

Worked for Prometric? Contribute to the Community!

Prometric – Why Work for Us?

Prometric is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Educational Testing Service (ETS) and a trusted provider of technology-enabled testing and assessment solutions. Our more than 20 years of experience providing the right test… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Prometric reviews and ratings in Baltimore, MD — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Prometric CEO Michael Brannick. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Prometric employees.