Prometric

Updated August 28, 2014
2.2

Prometric President and CEO Michael Brannick
Michael Brannick

Pros
  • Used to be a good company to work for at one time with decent pay (in 4 reviews)

• Great place to look out the window of a world that doesn't so closely resemble Hell (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • the blame game starts and fingers start pointing (in 6 reviews)

• From day one, I have next to no training (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Promotes top performers until they leave

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Prometric full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of growth opportunity for those willing to take the initiative, roll up their sleeves and "get their hands dirty". The environment is ripe for people looking to stand out among their peers and be recognized in the form of career advancement. New strategic ideas are both encouraged and accepted. Most days are fast paced and foster an atmosphere rooted in problem solving. This is an ideal company for those seeking recognition through promotion.

Cons

The combination of a high tolerance for mediocrity and a culture entrenched in outdated policies and attitudes has become an apparent limiter for the company's growth. Compensation starts low and "outstanding" performers are limited to a 3% increase in good years. This drives high attrition rate in the top employees and leads to a continued trend of mediocrity. Those looking for recognition through compensation should look elsewhere.

Introduce a fair market adjustment program in addition to the annual increases. Change compensation program to reward the top performers and encourage them to stick it out for the long haul. This will reverse the downward spiral in both culture and quality of employees and will go a long way towards taking the company to the next level.

If you need a paycheck youll get one

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Prometric full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paid snow days off
    Free cold pizza once a month
    No UA screening

Cons

Micromanaging, managers weekly beg you to work overtime on the weekends....After an 8 hour shift of hearing stupid customers on the phone last thing you want to do is come in on 1 of 2 days off.

Even if youre the top performer your manager will tell you someone else on the team is doing double the work you are which is complete hogwash, but this company lies to you from the first day of training.

3 days of training. Constant turnover. Your ideas will be stolen by upper management so dont offer any advice.

CEO loves his german cars, but his buttocks never tightened so hard when you deserve incentives. To sum it up if you need a paycheck go for it! If you want a career that you can utilize for years to come Id drive right past the building and better yourself before you go into work daily to be verbally harassed by customers and no matter how great you do for how many years you are as expendable as the illegal aliens who clean the building.

Lastly ya'll...They give you like 6.7 hours vacation per 30 days worked...thats like 11 days off a year so if you get a cold you can kiss your vacation goodbye.

Instead of having meetings daily how about you hire some managers with skill.

Weak communication, but could be better. Has potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Prometric full-time

Pros

Company makes an attempt to make it a nice place to work by having incentives (money) for perfect attendance, and outstanding performance. Building itself is very modern and beautiful inside. Most coworkers and even management are pleasant. Being global and a testing company makes it interesting at times. Benefits (insurance and 401 match) are good. Lots of paid holidays and even pay for bad weather if the building has to close because of too much snow.

Cons

Pay for hourly not too good, not sure what salaried makes. Poor communication even in small departments. Not a fair balance of workload between associates,some people doing the same job (and pay) have a lot more responsibility than others

Try being more proactive and avoid issues instead of having to scramble to fix they after they occur. Take off the blinders pay attention to what is really going on. This could be a wonderful place to work instead of just ok.

Lots of challenges and opportunities!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Prometric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are great - really smart and hard-working. The company has great benefits and time off.

Cons

There's alot of work, and some find the pace pretty challenging. I personally love it...

Keep communicating with the employees; encourage all managers to do the same.

Heartless example of corporate America

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Prometric full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most employees care and are friendly.

Cons

Management uses employees as if they were thoughtless cogs in a machine. Work yourself to death and then get thrown out like yesterday's trash.

The CEO should stop writing his little stories about his trips to his beach house. People who haven't received raises in years don't care about his beach house. Oh, I forgot; executives still get a bonus and a raise while everyone else goes without. Get out of your office, stop scowling at people and see what it is like in the real world.

A good starting point for a job with okay pay

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Prometric as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Learn a lot of technical details

Cons

Doesn't seem like much room for advancement

Blood From a Turnip

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Prometric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can develop a lot of skills, as you can take on as much work as you can handle. The service they provide allows people to work to get ahead in life, so it can be fulfilling if you're able to keep sight of that.

Cons

Senior management will tell you that they know how valuable you are, but it will trickle down that the reason you can't get what you need to do your job is that the sun doesn't shine on people like you who represent more cost than revenue. They are obsessed with putting metrics to everything, to the exclusion of having any grasp of what they're trying to count. Any problem, no matter how stressful, ridiculous, or shamefully obvious a sign of organizational incompetence is "working well enough" if it doesn't impact the CEO or his inner circle.

Aging technology that isn't working very well doesn't need a cost justification to fix it, it puts the revenue you already generate at risk. Stop making people struggle with a lack of leadership on how to accomplish their responsibilities while burying them with paperwork to track which client is taking up their time.

Run do not walk away from working at this company.

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Prometric full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They will take a chance on people who may be psuedo qualified.

Cons

This company used to be a great company to work for. I was there for 15 years and up until the last 2 years it was an enjoyable place to work. Now they no longer offer training, competitive salaries or job advancement opportunities. They have been systematically monitoring long time employees with high salaries for any possible infringement they can use to justify firing them instead of laying them off. The new management has been taking a tack of getting rid of high salaries and replacing them with people fresh from college even though they do not have the necessary experience. I checked with my old client and even though they were Prometric's largest client she has not even been contacted in the 2 months since I left.

Go back to valuing what your empoyees do and not how much the cost. Your product is really going down hill. Regain the commitment to integrity that you once had.

Racism? Nepotism? Cronyism? Here's a Place with All Three!

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Prometric full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you need some BIG COMPANY experience on your resume, Prometric is somewhere to get it - providing you are prepared to suffer for your entire tenure. In this case, that experience comes at a very high cost.

Cons

In my more than 20 years of experience, Prometric is, without question, the worst place I have ever worked. Ironically, one of my challenges while working there was overcoming poor Glassdoor reviews in order to get people to accept job offers. Looking back, I feel a little bad about the ones I did manage to convince.

It's difficult to articulate everything that makes Prometric such an abysmal place to work, though I was surprised by several things. First, this is the only place I've ever worked where yelling is considered an acceptable and effective method of communication. Worse still, thinly veiled racism is accepted, and even encouraged by Senior Staff. "What about HR?", you may ask. Prometric HR does an excellent job of assisting management in flouting the law - doing just enough to make a legitimate EEOC complaint an uphill struggle. Oh - and did I mention I'm Caucasian?

Beyond the obvious problems I've already pointed out, there's a sense of despair on the part of the employees. Maybe it's because the default response to any problem at Prometric is to fire someone. For the record, I was not fired (despite how bitter I may seem), but I had many close scrapes, and more than once was forced to terminate one of my subordinates against my own wishes. The project is late? Fire someone. The budget is low? Fire someone. A C-level executive is having a bad day? Definitely fire someone!

Many here have pointed out that Prometric might provide an opportunity for growth - a ticket punch, as it were. One thing to keep in mind: in a year and a half, I was not allowed to spend a single penny on training for any of my 18 subordinates.

I could continue, but I think I've provided enough information to motivate anyone who can get a job someplace else to do so. There is one exception to what I've outlined here: if you're related to someone in a high place, this could be a cushy job for you. Prometric may not promote family values, but they certainly promote family members!

One final point: Prometric has more than 5,000 employees spanning all 50 states and more than 150 countries. I worked at the corporate headquarters in Baltimore, and that is the experience I write about here. Experience from one test center to another can vary widely, so if you're considering a test center position, I recommend you continue your research.

Management won't listen, but in order to fix things, it has to start at the top. This company is sick, and sometimes the only way to remove infection is to cut it out. I don't know how many corporate executives would need to be replaced in order to break this morally bankrupt corporate culture, but replacing the CEO and all his direct reports would be a decent start.

Good for beginners or training, No hope for career growth.

Former Employee - QA Tester in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - QA Tester in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Prometric full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good amenities in office
    Sea side view

Cons

Extremely poor management, no respect for employee, blame game, don’t believe hiring skillful people, politics, policies keep changing, poor salary appraisals.
    Good for beginners or training, No hope for career growth
    Good amenities in office
    Sea side view
    Horrible Management
    Salary is belowwww market rate
    No Training
    Very little value placed on employees.
    Height of Micromanagement
    Very Greedy company
    Company expect you to work long hours and expect nothing not even thanks.
    Poor project planning and scheduling
    No leadership quality in team leads

Change your policy and useless people in management. Respect your hard working employee.