Prometric

Prometric Reviews

Updated Jun 25, 2014

Prometric President and CEO Michael Brannick

Michael Brannick

Pros
  • Used to be a good company to work for at one time with decent pay(in 4 reviews)

• Great place to look out the window of a world that doesn't so closely resemble Hell(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • When a mistake actually occurs, the blame game begins with a chorus of "oh, we're not actually responsible for that(in 5 reviews)

• The particular test center that I was at had a high schoolish vibe(in 5 reviews)

A big operation that hasn't outgrown it's Mom and Pop shop ways.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCasual dress code, you get a lot of creative license with how you develop network solutions, great place for an ambitious person to grow into a career that requires a lot of experience, liberal leave on the eve of a holiday, managers like someone who takes the lead or the initiative to oversee a project, 12 holidays a year.

ConsCreative license here is a dble edge sword. There aren't enough group brainstorming sessions for suggested solutions so inexperienced engineers can make a lot of really un-scalable poor design and implementation decisions that cause a lot of issues down the road. Departmental heads make business decisions on operational and technology changes without understanding the implications and availability of the resources they'll need to make it work without a LOT of hurdles to overcome. Technology staff are overloaded with un-buffered workloads as a result. They rely too heavily on their most senior technology staff and there is a large gap between senior an junior capabilities. Operationally they are very intrusive into your personal life, there is no walking out of the office at the end of the day. If you have something personal going on and something falls in your lap, there is the expectation that you own the issue no matter what. Cancel your plans. The issue cannot wait til morning.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company has grown to the point where it needs to function like so many other mid to large size companies do. They need to staff up so existing senior members don't get burnt out. Operational procedures for managers that make business functional decisions need to be defined. They make decisions on where to move business work groups and service functions without first knowing if they have the available resources. This is like planning to drive somewhere on an empty tank of gas, then getting upset at the tow truck driver because they needed someone to rescue them, and holding them accountable..

You have to have the right disposition to work here. I would only recommend working here for anyone that can handle stress really well because there is a lot of internal operational dysfunction that you will have to overlook, and take it upon yourself to try to change it. If you can work here, you can work anywhere. You need to have a leader mindset here or you won't survive.

There are better places out there

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of learning opportunities. Many different departments one could potentially move to.

ConsStarting salary is ok but raises are a joke. Heavy corporate atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees a bigger incentive to stick around each year.

The experience was good.

Test Center Administrator (Former Employee)

ProsWorking here gives the opportunity for a flexible-enough schedule. Nights, weekends. All of that is available and worthwhile if the staff is fun.

ConsThe antiquated software/hardware and practices at Prometric leave a lot to be desired. There can be so much more efficiency if more focus was given to lab maintenance and support and a little less to security.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to consider balancing security measures with technology at the center. We're working on slow last-decade technology while security measures are too time-consuming to balance out.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to talk to new people

ProsProfessional customer service experience is great for future jobs

ConsHigh turnover rate due to underemployment for part time employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is really involved with local offices even though they're thousands of miles away.

Enjoy working with the leader in computer based, high stakes testing.

Tca (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsConsistent growth, high value on customer service helping professionals achieve certifications and grow their careers.

ConsCustomers can be very challenging due to stress of assessments.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay ahead on technology.

Weak communication, but could be better. Has potential

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsCompany makes an attempt to make it a nice place to work by having incentives (money) for perfect attendance, and outstanding performance. Building itself is very modern and beautiful inside. Most coworkers and even management are pleasant. Being global and a testing company makes it interesting at times. Benefits (insurance and 401 match) are good. Lots of paid holidays and even pay for bad weather if the building has to close because of too much snow.

ConsPay for hourly not too good, not sure what salaried makes. Poor communication even in small departments. Not a fair balance of workload between associates,some people doing the same job (and pay) have a lot more responsibility than others

Advice to Senior ManagementTry being more proactive and avoid issues instead of having to scramble to fix they after they occur. Take off the blinders pay attention to what is really going on. This could be a wonderful place to work instead of just ok.

Age Continues to battle against the Odds.

Tca (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsA good company for test takers to do business with and to take exams, however, the structure needs to be upgraded where there is a listening ear for the employees. They should not be made to feel locked in a box where they cannot voice their opinions without repercussions.

ConsThe challenges are varied. With certain exams, one must be extremely cognizant of the test takers and all that they do in regard to coming and going. In the meantime, you as a proctor must monitor the labs and also watch the cameras for anything that is inappropriate. This comes within the line of duty.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpot check your centers from time to time. Your Managers are not all that they crack up to be. You have good workers but they are penalized if they do not agree to certain decisions made by those managers but not decisions of Upper Management.--

Not even if you're desperate!

Test Center Administrator (Current Employee)

Pros-You get a small, once-monthly paycheck.

Cons-Small, once-monthly paycheck (the pay is so little it's really hard to make it from one paycheck to the next).

-Nepotism (your Manager's sister will be streamlined through the hiring process, and given more hours than you her second week on the job, even though you've been working there since last year).

-No benefits, paid vacation, or holiday pay.

-They want you to have some amount of college experience to get hired, but you still have to clean the bathroom every morning.

-Low pay (it's a sad state of affairs when your Manager holds a second part-time job on top of working full-time at Prometric! As for myself, I was getting more on unemployment...)

-All the worst parts of working for a huge corporation (left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing).

-All the worst parts of working for a small franchise branch (the money definitely does NOT trickle down, every penny that can be saved is nickled-and-dimed out of your paycheck. They even water down the liquid soap in the bathrooms sometimes).

-Politics/backstabbing up the wazoo.

-Zero sensitivity/flexibility for different learning styles. Memorizing the break and ID policies, and the provided materials for hundreds of tests is no small thing, but there is only ONE way you are allowed to learn it!

-Terrible training! I was rushed through the company's online training, which was supposed to be on-going over time. I was not allowed to even finish it in one day. I was made to take the TCA certification test without finishing the company's online training. My Manager wouldn't let me get a sentence, much less a question out, without interrupting me and answering the simplest question she thought I might possibly be asking. Zero active listening skills on her part. Instead of letting me finish a sentence or a question, she would talk over me and treat me like an idiot, rather than listen to my complete statements/questions and help me learn.

-You will probably be micromanaged to an extreme degree.

-10 hour days which start at 7:00 a.m., most days.

-You will have to fight for breaks and meal periods.

-As with other reviews here, I have also witnessed racist attitudes and comments from one of my Managers.

-Utterly unprofessional behavior on the part of Management (texting and taking personal calls on cell phones on camera while at work, leaving the test center to take personal calls on cell phone, not having your back when candidates are being ugly to you about the security procedures, rudely reprimanding you in front of candidates when you accidentally get something wrong, ranting in hearing of customers in waiting area, etc.).

-Franchise owner has never once made eye contact with me, much less said a single word to me. I'm just the unmentionable "help," certainly not a human being to be acknowledged, much less appreciated or anything like that!

-Management has an infuriatingly "Do as I say, not as I do" style, breaking many of the rules themselves, but yelling at you for forgetting to follow a rule they were constantly breaking themselves.

-Lying to you about hours you'll be working, among other things, is highly likely.

-Concerns about security, safety and professionalism submitted to HR in Baltimore (as per the instructions on Prometric's website) go unanswered.

-Test registration online is fraught with problems on a consistent basis.

-Help Desk employees are often unhelpful when technical issues come up at test centers.
    -Customers complain that they can't get an answer on the Candidate Care line.

Advice to Senior Management-Respect your employees, especially the TCA's who are the face of the company. Pay them more, train them better, listen to their questions, respect different learning styles and ethnicities. Offering better pay, training, and benefits will help reduce turnover and get you more loyalty/longevity from employees.

-You might want to make sure an employee has actually left the premises before you start complaining about them to another employee. It's also not a good idea to rant loudly about said employee when the waiting area is full of customers.

-Lead by example! Professionalism and respect on your part will breed the same in your TCA's. You won't get those qualities in others unless you can dish them out first.

-Take a long, intensive seminar in active listening skills!

Decent Pay if You Can Navigate The BS

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Nottingham, MD

ProsCo-workers are generally supportive and willing to assist. Pay is within expected range for position, and benefits are easily and readily available.

ConsCorporate culture is downright toxic. High level of turn over from supervisors down to entry-level. Burnout causes supervisors to leave, while CSRs generally wind up being fired due to stringent attendance policy. CSRs and Supervisors have no power to enact change and no channel to have their voices heard. Senior Management is inaccessible and uncaring. I had 9 supervisors in 9 months during my time there.

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES! They are the ones hearing what customers have to say about process and procedures. They know best how policy affects test takers. Listen to their feedback. And keep in mind that 100% attendance adherence is physically impossible. People can't avoid being sick. Traffic happens. Learn to be flexible.

Lots of challenges and opportunities!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsThe people are great - really smart and hard-working. The company has great benefits and time off.

ConsThere's alot of work, and some find the pace pretty challenging. I personally love it...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep communicating with the employees; encourage all managers to do the same.

Worked for Prometric? Contribute to the Community!