Prometric Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

2.3

Prometric President and CEO Michael Brannick
Michael Brannick

Pros
  • Used to be a good company to work for at one time with decent pay (in 4 reviews)

• Great place to look out the window of a world that doesn't so closely resemble Hell (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • When a mistake actually occurs, the blame game begins with a chorus of "oh, we're not actually responsible for that (in 5 reviews)

• The particular test center that I was at had a high schoolish vibe (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Promotes top performers until they leave

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Prometric full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lots of growth opportunity for those willing to take the initiative, roll up their sleeves and "get their hands dirty". The environment is ripe for people looking to stand out among their peers and be recognized in the form of career advancement. New strategic ideas are both encouraged and accepted. Most days are fast paced and foster an atmosphere rooted in problem solving. This is an ideal company for those seeking recognition through promotion.

Cons

The combination of a high tolerance for mediocrity and a culture entrenched in outdated policies and attitudes has become an apparent limiter for the company's growth. Compensation starts low and "outstanding" performers are limited to a 3% increase in good years. This drives high attrition rate in the top employees and leads to a continued trend of mediocrity. Those looking for recognition through compensation should look elsewhere.

Introduce a fair market adjustment program in addition to the annual increases. Change compensation program to reward the top performers and encourage them to stick it out for the long haul. This will reverse the downward spiral in both culture and quality of employees and will go a long way towards taking the company to the next level.

A company that continues to go downhill.....

Former Employee - Systems Analyst
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst

I worked at Prometric full-time for more than a year

Pros

In the few years I was with the company, there wasn't many positives I was able to draw from the experience.

Some co-workers were extremely knowledgeable and always helpful, something that seemed rare at Prometric.
    Opportunities to work with several globally diverse and cross functional teams.
    Great downtown harbor view of Baltimore.
    Decent benefits and flexible schedules.
    Casual dress code.

Cons

I could probably write a book on the things I didn't like, but I'll stick to a few of the things that bothered me the most.

Poor communication between teams and upper management. I never felt apart of a team, it always felt like a bunch of people just working on the same floor. Occasionally they would ask each other questions and help each other, but if something broke or went down.....the blame game starts and fingers start pointing.

Negative company culture and the epitome of corporate politics. It felt like Office Space with the whole "what can you do for the company" mentality. Meanwhile, management couldn't care less about their employees. There was always too much work, not enough staff to do it all. The high turnover rate was pretty shocking to me at first for a big corporate company, but I now understand why.

Absolutely no career growth or training. From day one, I have next to no training. I pretty much had to figure out my job on my own for the most part. It seemed pretty common there actually. Don't expect any substantial raises or promotions. If you're good at your job, then that's where you'll be stuck.

Lots of outdated technology. They run a lot of their core business systems on ridiculously outdated and over complicated proprietary applications that no one seems to fully understand, even the so called "subject matter experts". I mean seriously....if you're running vital business functions on software that is from the 90's.....I think you may want to invest in hiring some skilled software developers and redesign everything from the ground up. That would apparently make too much sense though....As long as the bottom line says they're still making money......management couldn't care less about the ridiculous workflows employees have to put up with just to keep the company afloat.

Outdated technology does not need cost justifications to fix it, UPDATE YOUR SOFTWARE/HARDWARE when needed.
    Create a TEAM atmosphere, not a dog eat dog corporate culture that's extremely negative and unproductive.
    Treat your employees with respect and show your appreciation to them, because without them, the company is nothing.
    Hire more staff locally. Stop outsourcing everything just to save a few bucks.

Draconian

Former Employee - Test Center Administrator
    Former Employee - Test Center Administrator

I worked at Prometric part-time

Pros

There are plenty of hours available.

Cons

There are almost no benefits here. And with the security practices becoming more and more insane and stringent, working here is too stressful to make sense sticking around for.

Take care of your employees and give them room to advance. Otherwise, why would we want to stick around?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just keep dumping it on

I have been working at Prometric full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A good place to start to gain experience to take elsewhere but be ready to work. There are opportunities to move around/up in the company which is good. Many of your co-workers will be genuinely great people to work with. Pay and benefits seem to be generally adequate. If you like a fast paced company there is always a lot of work to be done.

Cons

Many departments have been cut to the bone as people have left and been gotten rid of and not replaced. There is more and more work to be done with fewer people and the answer seems to be to tell people they're not working hard enough. The few remaining subject matter experts are over-burdened. Once you move up a little higher the company is very "who you know" oriented. If you're not in the "in crowd" you won't last very long. There is also a culture of negativity that makes some parts of the company just rotten and miserable at times.

Listen to your employees. Here's a tip: you think you're doing this now but aren't; at least not when it comes to any of the real issues. The issues I'm talking about are staffing levels, lack of subject matter experts, seemingly very high turnover rates. No one wants to hear that there aren't enough people in some areas to get done what needs to be done which leads lots of mistakes and mis-steps. Senior management seems to want to know what everyone else is doing to make the company better without being clear about what they're doing. Lead with your own actions not finger pointing. What you're doing now obviously isn't working.

A Few Good Apples Won't Unspoil The Rotten Bunch!

Former Employee - Evaluator  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Evaluator in Miami, FL

I worked at Prometric as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Reasonable rate of pay. Work is not overly difficult.

Cons

Self-absorbed, narrow-minded, punitive, disrespectful, ignorant & unresponsive management. Managers assign based on personal prejudices. Workers can go months without assignments, then be chastised for not taking assignments on a moment's notice at far distance.

Pay attention. Don't keep arrogant managers in the field who scare candidates and attempt to humiliate staff. Respect your employees.

Wage cheaters

Current Employee - Test Center Administrator  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Test Center Administrator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Prometric part-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent location that is assessable by public transportation

Cons

Company wants you to lie on your time sheet so you don't have any time over 8 hours a day. If you work over 8 hours, they want you to lie and say you took a long lunch instead.

Read the California labor laws and get your act together. You can't deny people their wages.

Dictatorial, impossibly strict, profit-driven.

I worked at Prometric full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People who come for service are primarily professional, well-educated and well-mannered, and thus easy to interact with and assist.

Cons

Current parent company does not care about employees. People are fired for minor infractions. Management creates tension through distrust of employees, even those who have been in service for many years. Constant surveillance and criticism. Training time is inadequate. Every penny is pinched. Full-time employees who leave are replaced with part-timers to avoid paying benefits.

Sell the company to someone who understands people as people and not work drones.

No rewards for loyalty

I worked at Prometric full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It paid the bills while it lasted.

Cons

You could walk on water and still only receive a raise that barely kept up with cost of living increase if it even did that. Offshoring of jobs lead you to wonder who would fall next, but you were chastised if you brought this fear up to management. They lied to us right up to the moment they walked us out the door about the safety of our positions. Finger pointing in the face of a mistake was obviously more important than fixing problems. You could expect to work at least 50 hours on a slower week all the way up to 80 hours at times and still be told you weren't doing enough.

Reward your good people, they make your company. Make them feel like they're doing something worthwhile instead of creating such a negative workplace.

Unorganized corporation and low pay

Current Employee - Test Center Administrator/Test Proctor  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Test Center Administrator/Test Proctor in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Prometric part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy going. Once check ins are complete it's sit back, eat some snacks, and monitor the candidates. A great starting job to get you through college. Depending on the location, the schedule can be very flexible.

Cons

Inconsistency among corporate channels. Low pay. Constant increase in responsibility while not being compensated.
    Candidates can be extremely rude and childish, complaining about the strict rules and regulations.

Pay better, keep information updated, upgrade your software and hardware.

A big operation that hasn't outgrown it's Mom and Pop shop ways.

I worked at Prometric full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Casual dress code, you get a lot of creative license with how you develop network solutions, great place for an ambitious person to grow into a career that requires a lot of experience, liberal leave on the eve of a holiday, managers like someone who takes the lead or the initiative to oversee a project, 12 holidays a year.

Cons

Creative license here is a dble edge sword. There aren't enough group brainstorming sessions for suggested solutions so inexperienced engineers can make a lot of really un-scalable poor design and implementation decisions that cause a lot of issues down the road. Departmental heads make business decisions on operational and technology changes without understanding the implications and availability of the resources they'll need to make it work without a LOT of hurdles to overcome. Technology staff are overloaded with un-buffered workloads as a result. They rely too heavily on their most senior technology staff and there is a large gap between senior an junior capabilities. Operationally they are very intrusive into your personal life, there is no walking out of the office at the end of the day. If you have something personal going on and something falls in your lap, there is the expectation that you own the issue no matter what. Cancel your plans. The issue cannot wait til morning.

This company has grown to the point where it needs to function like so many other mid to large size companies do. They need to staff up so existing senior members don't get burnt out. Operational procedures for managers that make business functional decisions need to be defined. They make decisions on where to move business work groups and service functions without first knowing if they have the available resources. This is like planning to drive somewhere on an empty tank of gas, then getting upset at the tow truck driver because they needed someone to rescue them, and holding them accountable..

You have to have the right disposition to work here. I would only recommend working here for anyone that can handle stress really well because there is a lot of internal operational dysfunction that you will have to overlook, and take it upon yourself to try to change it. If you can work here, you can work anywhere. You need to have a leader mindset here or you won't survive.

Worked for Prometric? Contribute to the Community!