Promontory Interfinancial Network

Reset
4.5
Promontory Interfinancial Network Co-Founder, President & CEO Mark P. Jacobsen
Mark P. Jacobsen

The fact that many employees have been with the company since it started speaks for itself

I have been working at Promontory Interfinancial Network

Pros

Incredible teams - You are always part of a team when solving business or technology challenges. You are working with some of the best and the brightest in their respective fields Everyone makes an impact - Promontory has a rigorous hiring process because every hire is a critical hire. As an employee in any role, there are opportunities to shape the company and make an impact. Opportunities to do new things - No matter what role you come in as, the company is always looking for smart and enthusiasic individuals. If you work hard and take initiative, there are plenty of new opportunities, even though this is a small company Great facilities - Recently moved to new space with nice common areas, great views, and plenty of space.

Cons

Valued work ethic - Employees who excel typically choose to go the extra mile. There are places for everyone, but this is a young company and people believe in working hard and playing hard. Small and relatively flat company - This is a challenge for many people who are accustomed to getting a promotion every year or two. Promontory strives to be a flat company (where everyone has an equal say in decisions) and does not place a lot of value on titles.

2. Terrific Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Promontory Interfinancial Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Promontory Interfinancial Network is a great place to work for many reasons. Here are a few: (1) Senior management regularly informs employees regarding the state of the company and new iniatives, something that many companies will not do. The company is run efficiently, but with a personal touch. (2) There are many opportunities for professional growth. (3) The company has a sterling reputation in the financial services industry and offers an interesting array of products. (4) The people are great. On a professional level, my colleagues are top notch in their field and always helpful and supportive. On a person levek, my colleagues are very welcoming and have a great sense of humor. Promontory is a great place to work! I would highly recommend it to anyone!

Cons

So far, there are none!

3. Best Place I've Ever Worked

I have been working at Promontory Interfinancial Network full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Promontory Interfinancial Network is filled with very smart people who are also very collegial. It has the positive aspects of a startup (the company is only about ten years old), but it also has the strength and security of having The Bank of New York Mellon as a substantial investor and business partner. There is always something new going on and it's a company in which creativity is not only rewarded but required. A number of people have joined in one job and then moved into another job or an entirely new area based on their skills and interests. The company culture is very focused, very hard-working, but at the same time very laid back in comparison with the up-tight firms across the river in Washington, D.C. And last but not least, the company is in a very cool area of Arlington, near the Court House Metro and just down the street from Clarendon.

Cons

There really aren't a lot of downsides that I can think of. I suppose if you can't get along with your peers or you want to hide out in a bureaucracy, you won't like it here, but for people who are intelligent and open and have a sense of humor, I don't really see any cons here at all.

5. Company Culture Promotes Open Communication and Great Teamwork

I have been working at Promontory Interfinancial Network full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1) President/CEO really cares about the well being of employees and their families. He also ensures complete transparency of the business - how each key area is doing and financials. 2) CIO provides work-life balance like I've never seen in my 20 years of working at various IT companies (e.g., he makes every attempt for IT EEs to not work late evenings or weekends). He also is very interested in employee development. 3) Great place to work if you are creative. Promontory is always seeking to develop new and innovative services. 4) High performers are recognized by increased responsibility and through the profit sharing annual bonus pool. 5) Company has a high bar both for technical competence and interpersonal skills. With both being equally important - some employees can't meet the company's high standards. I imagine that's the case with former employees who wrote negative comments about the company on this site.

Cons

Company is pretty flat and not into fancy job titles so if you seeking recognition through job title - may not be the best fit.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing - caring about employees and finding them growth opportunities.

6. Excellent Place to Work

I have been working at Promontory Interfinancial Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at Promontory for a few years, and it has been an excellent place to work. The environment is collegial, collaborative, and fun. But, the standards and expectations for work performance are high. I have learned a ton by working here and have been given additional responsibilities as I learn more. The company has been successful over the past decade since it started and has built an excellent core business. But, it has the feel of a "start-up" because of the dynamic and exciting new services it launches.

Cons

The company does not match 401(k) contributions and has no equity compensation plan.

I've worked at many jobs/functions over the course of a long eclectic career... here is where I will choose to stay put!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Promontory Interfinancial Network full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

By far the best working environment I've ever experienced. The company believes in creating innovative and unique products that make a difference in the world for average folks and large/successful organizations alike. Management is fair, transparent, rewarding, knowledgeable, visionary, confident and genuinely interested in creating a positive working environment and supportive culture for ALL employees and their families. The company is committed to being a leader in its space and to grow the business in new directions both for the benefit of the owners and to create career growth opportunities for those who labor to create the success. Entrepreneurship and hard work efforts are noticed, acknowledged and rewarded. The company is not overly concerned with structure, titles and hierarchy but instead allows each employee to customize their job function and role to their best purpose (understandably, within reason). Managers routinely "pitch in" alongside less seasoned employees to boost morale, afford educational opportunities and to simply accomplish a task. There is never any question about how the company is doing as the very down to earth and forthright CEO regularly shares news of the company's vision and performance. And it is doing well (for which we are routinely thanked). Customer service is this company's creed and its customers are loyal and respectful and appreciative of the talent assembled as well. In short, this coming to work for Promontory Interfinancial Network made me finally feel like I had found a HOME for my career aspirations.

Cons

Not many to speak of but I suppose if you are looking for a company where you can punch a clock or phone it in this is not for you. Managers and employees work hard to accomplish the task at hand because there is shared vision. This is also not the place to come to work if you can't be part of the defined "culture"... this is not the place for those who want to be strictly results oriented or in any way abrasive. The culture of the company is highly important to management and the system tends to self police those who don't manage to adapt.

Advice to Management

Nothing I can think of... try not to change too much as you continue to succeed and keep up the good work at creating and growing a great company that considers employees important to the future!

8. Excellent Place to Work

Pros

- Brilliant CEO with great vision, who also cares very deeply about the employees. - People work hard here but are rewarded for it. It's great to work around people who care about the success of the company and their fellow co-workers. - Senior management has made a conscious effort to make the place fun. I could go on and on but will just list a few examples, including holiday parties, monthly birthday parties, casual dress all Summer, office decorating contests, costume contests, picnics, team outings, and April Fools' Day pranks. - The company has a community heart. A matching program was established after Haiti's earthquake and special offers were made for those affected by Katrina, just to name a couple of initiatives. - Management is very supportive of employees (or their loved ones) facing serious illness. - We have an environment of mutual respect and one in which diversity is valued. Domestic partnership benefits have been offered since Day 1. -Creativity is encouraged and recognized.

Cons

- No 401k matching. - If you are a person who doesn't like change, this may not be the best place for you to work.

9. Great place to work!

Pros

-Strong compensation -Smart and nice colleagues -Market-leading and innovative products -Great work-life balance -Management is capable, experienced and motivated - clear that they are committed to bolstering the strength and resilience of the company (which makes me sleep better at night) -Company did a nice job navigating through a tough economic and regulatory environment and seems well positioned for the future. -CEO is very good at keeping everyone informed (through monthly reports and periodic All'Hands meetings). Information shared is quite detailed, which is nice.

Cons

Nothing really jumps to mind.

Advice to Management

None

It is great to work with competent folks who treat you with respect.

Current Employee - IT Department in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - IT Department in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Promontory Interfinancial Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Your opinions are heard and valued. The location is really nice. Benefits and compensation are good. They are willing to use cutting edge technologies and methodologies. They pay for training, which was a major plus for me. Most of all they treat you like a human being and not just an employee.

Cons

For me personally, there is a long commute it, but once you get to the office it's worth it. There is a metro stop across the street and I will likely start using that then dealing with traffic.

Advice to Management

I am really happy with my management, they trust you to do your work, but maybe a few 'hey, how do you think everything is going?' conversations to provoke some dormant ideas.

Adaptive, Ambitious, Good-Hearted, & a good place to work

I have been working at Promontory Interfinancial Network

Pros

The company is flexible and forward-thinking, with regards to both employees and external market considerations. The tech dept. is effectively transitioning to that of a departmentalized organization and adopting the latest processes, technologies, etc.

Cons

The company is transitioning a bit, so it may not appeal to those seeking a narrowly-defined role or stagnant stability.

RSS Feed </> Embed