Promontory Interfinancial Network

Add Photos

Promontory Interfinancial Network Co-Founder, President & CEO Mark P. Jacobsen

Mark P. Jacobsen

Worst workplace ever!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCant think of any. Maybe Free coffee, tea?

ConsHorrible working environment (physical working environment is like manufacturing factory with electric lines, plumbing pipes right over your head), and hostile working environment too. poor quality management team, poor quality products. Management always lies and never believes a single word from them. Frequent overtime, no lunch time... Pay is not good considering the time/efforts you put in. Worst workplacE ia have ever been.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you cant have good products to compete in the market, at least keep your integrity not to lie! Let employees to review and rate their managers to see if you put the right managers at right spot!

You learn a great deal; terrible work environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) West Arlington, VA

Pros- I learned a great deal while working at Promontory. Many of the skills I learned i still use to this day.
    - The company will continue to grow on the back of smart employees and a great product line

Cons- The work environment is uncomfortable and filled with passive aggressive behavior
    - There is a tangible feeling of "us against them" between managers and subordinates. Managers tend to band together against their subordinates
    - No trust between employees, which is a conscious decision be management in order to control employees better
    - Employees are reprimanded for every slight they make, big or small, which easily knocks down employee confidence and engenders fear
    - Employees are often patronized by management with statements such as this: "knowing that the steps you took were incorrect, how do you think you will handle a similar situation in the future?"
    - No formal training for employees
    - HR is worthless. My exit interview was half an hour long and we only addressed work related issues for 10 of the time.

Not great, could be better..

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsPay is decent. Nice facility.

ConsManagement that is out of touch with employees.
    A lot is expected of employees with little to no recognition.
    Work load can consume your life and it is expected that you give up personal plans or pre-scheduled vacation.
    Company does NOT match any portion of 401K contribution.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for - working on lot of innovative financial products

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsGreat Environment with zero politics. Everybody including the senior management share the work load which I have seldom seem in other companies.

ConsGrowth prospects minimal and very low salary hikes

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a growth plan for employees which involve financial incentives and pay raises

Innovative, thoughtful, customer-centric company with a great future ahead of itself

ProsThis company invented a new category of deposits. It's a tightly run ship, taking care to do everything by the book. As it must, with over 3000 banks as its clients. I like how it goes out of its way to give the small banks a fighting chance to retain large clients. The company also goes out of its way to work with community development banks. As for perks, there are no dogs but the place is otherwise pretty laid back for a financial company. The CEO often pulls April Fools gags.

ConsSenior management has largely remained intact for the past decade or so, thus the opportunity to advance is through growth in the overall business rather than via departures.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe salary is solid, bonuses are nice, health and other benefits are good, but it's time to match on the 401k. The company promised to add it next year if we hit our financial targets. Presume it will.

Adaptive, Ambitious, Good-Hearted, & a good place to work

ProsThe company is flexible and forward-thinking, with regards to both employees and external market considerations. The tech dept. is effectively transitioning to that of a departmentalized organization and adopting the latest processes, technologies, etc.

ConsThe company is transitioning a bit, so it may not appeal to those seeking a narrowly-defined role or stagnant stability.

It is great to work with competent folks who treat you with respect.

IT Department (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsYour opinions are heard and valued. The location is really nice. Benefits and compensation are good. They are willing to use cutting edge technologies and methodologies. They pay for training, which was a major plus for me. Most of all they treat you like a human being and not just an employee.

ConsFor me personally, there is a long commute it, but once you get to the office it's worth it. There is a metro stop across the street and I will likely start using that then dealing with traffic.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am really happy with my management, they trust you to do your work, but maybe a few 'hey, how do you think everything is going?' conversations to provoke some dormant ideas.

Great place to work!

Pros-Strong compensation
    -Smart and nice colleagues
    -Market-leading and innovative products
    -Great work-life balance
    -Management is capable, experienced and motivated - clear that they are committed to bolstering the strength and resilience of the company (which makes me sleep better at night)
    -Company did a nice job navigating through a tough economic and regulatory environment and seems well positioned for the future.
    -CEO is very good at keeping everyone informed (through monthly reports and periodic All'Hands meetings). Information shared is quite detailed, which is nice.

ConsNothing really jumps to mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Excellent Place to Work

Pros- Brilliant CEO with great vision, who also cares very deeply about the employees.
    - People work hard here but are rewarded for it. It's great to work around people who care about the success of the company and their fellow co-workers.
    - Senior management has made a conscious effort to make the place fun. I could go on and on but will just list a few examples, including holiday parties, monthly birthday parties, casual dress all Summer, office decorating contests, costume contests, picnics, team outings, and April Fools' Day pranks.
    - The company has a community heart. A matching program was established after Haiti's earthquake and special offers were made for those affected by Katrina, just to name a couple of initiatives.
    - Management is very supportive of employees (or their loved ones) facing serious illness.
    - We have an environment of mutual respect and one in which diversity is valued. Domestic partnership benefits have been offered since Day 1.
    -Creativity is encouraged and recognized.

Cons- No 401k matching.
    - If you are a person who doesn't like change, this may not be the best place for you to work.

I've worked at many jobs/functions over the course of a long eclectic career... here is where I will choose to stay put!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsBy far the best working environment I've ever experienced. The company believes in creating innovative and unique products that make a difference in the world for average folks and large/successful organizations alike. Management is fair, transparent, rewarding, knowledgeable, visionary, confident and genuinely interested in creating a positive working environment and supportive culture for ALL employees and their families. The company is committed to being a leader in its space and to grow the business in new directions both for the benefit of the owners and to create career growth opportunities for those who labor to create the success. Entrepreneurship and hard work efforts are noticed, acknowledged and rewarded. The company is not overly concerned with structure, titles and hierarchy but instead allows each employee to customize their job function and role to their best purpose (understandably, within reason). Managers routinely "pitch in" alongside less seasoned employees to boost morale, afford educational opportunities and to simply accomplish a task. There is never any question about how the company is doing as the very down to earth and forthright CEO regularly shares news of the company's vision and performance. And it is doing well (for which we are routinely thanked). Customer service is this company's creed and its customers are loyal and respectful and appreciative of the talent assembled as well. In short, this coming to work for Promontory Interfinancial Network made me finally feel like I had found a HOME for my career aspirations.

ConsNot many to speak of but I suppose if you are looking for a company where you can punch a clock or phone it in this is not for you. Managers and employees work hard to accomplish the task at hand because there is shared vision. This is also not the place to come to work if you can't be part of the defined "culture"... this is not the place for those who want to be strictly results oriented or in any way abrasive. The culture of the company is highly important to management and the system tends to self police those who don't manage to adapt.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing I can think of... try not to change too much as you continue to succeed and keep up the good work at creating and growing a great company that considers employees important to the future!

Worked for Promontory Interfinancial Network? Contribute to the Community!