Promontory Interfinancial Network

Promontory Interfinancial Network Co-Founder, President & CEO Mark P. Jacobsen
Mark P. Jacobsen

Worst workplace ever!

I worked at Promontory Interfinancial Network

Pros

Cant think of any. Maybe Free coffee, tea?

Cons

Horrible working environment (physical working environment is like manufacturing factory with electric lines, plumbing pipes right over your head), and hostile working environment too. poor quality management team, poor quality products. Management always lies and never believes a single word from them. Frequent overtime, no lunch time... Pay is not good considering the time/efforts you put in. Worst workplacE ia have ever been.

Advice to Management

If you cant have good products to compete in the market, at least keep your integrity not to lie! Let employees to review and rate their managers to see if you put the right managers at right spot!

2. You learn a great deal; terrible work environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Arlington, VA

I have been working at Promontory Interfinancial Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- I learned a great deal while working at Promontory. Many of the skills I learned i still use to this day.
    - The company will continue to grow on the back of smart employees and a great product line

Cons

- The work environment is uncomfortable and filled with passive aggressive behavior
    - There is a tangible feeling of "us against them" between managers and subordinates. Managers tend to band together against their subordinates
    - No trust between employees, which is a conscious decision be management in order to control employees better
    - Employees are reprimanded for every slight they make, big or small, which easily knocks down employee confidence and engenders fear
    - Employees are often patronized by management with statements such as this: "knowing that the steps you took were incorrect, how do you think you will handle a similar situation in the future?"
    - No formal training for employees
    - HR is worthless. My exit interview was half an hour long and we only addressed work related issues for 10 of the time.

3. Not great, could be better..

I have been working at Promontory Interfinancial Network

Pros

Pay is decent. Nice facility.

Cons

Management that is out of touch with employees.
    A lot is expected of employees with little to no recognition.
    Work load can consume your life and it is expected that you give up personal plans or pre-scheduled vacation.
    Company does NOT match any portion of 401K contribution.

Great company to work for - working on lot of innovative financial products

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Arlington, VA

Pros

Great Environment with zero politics. Everybody including the senior management share the work load which I have seldom seem in other companies.

Cons

Growth prospects minimal and very low salary hikes

Advice to Management

Create a growth plan for employees which involve financial incentives and pay raises

Luckiest Day Of My Life When I Accepted PIN's Offer

Current Employee - IT Professional in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Promontory Interfinancial Network full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Upper-management only hires managers that really care about people
    Everyone helps others to succeed
    Friendly work environment and co-workers
    Interesting work
    Strong benefits package

Cons

I cannot think of a drawback or negative. There is no "Cons" to working at Promontory.

Advice to Management

I've been treated so well over the years, I hope I have lived up to your expectation.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

I've been working at Promontory for over three years now. I was thrilled when I began here, since it was such a stark contrast to my previous job, where employees were either ignored or micromanaged, and the President of the company seemed always on the verge of an angry outburst.

I immediately saw that there was no "hierarchy" at Promontory and that each employee was valued and treated with respect. Upper management was approachable and welcoming. I was amazed that when I provided feedback (both positive and negative) to my supervisor, she took it seriously and made efforts to either improve things or continue down roads that were working. That's something I've seen play out over and over while I'm here. My work and opinions are valued and when I do the right thing, I'm backed by management- all the way to the top.

Benefits here are great and comprehensive- generous leave and flexible schedules when you need it, great medical at a good cost, dental, vision, 401K match, paid portion of life insurance, paid short term and long term disability, etc. But, the benefits that really make work life enjoyable are monthly themed birthday parties, yearly company picnic, Halloween party, holiday party, monthly brown bag lunch and learns, etc. Not to mention food served throughout the week, casual Fridays, and a laid back, but professional environment.

What makes Promontory great is that everyone works as a team- a team that's diverse, capable and kind, and where everyone is considered important. Hands down, that makes Promontory one of the best places I've worked and why I plan to continue working here as long as I can.

Cons

A few long-term staff have become bitter and jaded over the years and their negativity can be difficult to be around. But, I think, unfortunately, you'll find folks like this at any company.

Advice to Management

Continue valuing diversity and including everyone in decisions made, especially when it comes to employee benefits, work/life balance and creating a positive work environment. Don't allow the "bad apples" to poison others, and keep those who value the company, enjoy their work and are motivated to do better, a priority.

Steadily growing, becoming better and better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Promontory Interfinancial Network full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with the company for over 5 years now. I can honestly say each year has been better than the last, both for the company and for my position. The company is relentless in trying to get better. The bar gets raised continually. Yet at the same time, management, particularly the CEO, seems to have a steady hand. We don't whipsaw from one priority to the next as I've experienced with prior employers. We set a course, make alterations as needed, and move ahead.

I think the company in general gives its sales staff and other managers a great deal of autonomy. We have goals but they are realistic. And the company is always aware of the bigger picture. If we miss the mark because of the economic environment, our goals adjust.

In short, this is a young company (I think its only 12 or so years old) but it behaves like a mature one. Except when it doesn't. It sill has a start-up feel and culture. We have monthly parties, fruit Mondays, bagel Wednesday and sweets on Fridays. We wear jeans all summer and every Friday. And the management structure is pretty flat. If you want to talk to the CEO, just talk to him. Or ask him questions at his all-hands meetings. He never shirks them.

One year he spoke to the sales force and their spouses and outlined all the mistakes he made the prior year. Pretty impressive. And the company shares all of its financial information with every employee -- no matter their rank. Frankly, I'm not sure I need to know where we stand with respect to our budget, in detail, every single month. But we can see it if we want to. Our core numbers regarding sales are updated daily on our intranet. This openness is all a legacy of when the company was a genuine startup but I appreciate it.

Cons

The company just started matching 401k benefits last month. Before then, that was a gap. The only other thing that springs to mind is the relative lack of turnover in senior management. While good from the perspective of continuity and that folks don't want to leave -- it does result in fewer vacancies for internal promotions. The only way to get more responsibility is for the company to grow.

Advice to Management

Steady as she goes.

Innovative, thoughtful, customer-centric company with a great future ahead of itself

Pros

This company invented a new category of deposits. It's a tightly run ship, taking care to do everything by the book. As it must, with over 3000 banks as its clients. I like how it goes out of its way to give the small banks a fighting chance to retain large clients. The company also goes out of its way to work with community development banks. As for perks, there are no dogs but the place is otherwise pretty laid back for a financial company. The CEO often pulls April Fools gags.

Cons

Senior management has largely remained intact for the past decade or so, thus the opportunity to advance is through growth in the overall business rather than via departures.

Advice to Management

The salary is solid, bonuses are nice, health and other benefits are good, but it's time to match on the 401k. The company promised to add it next year if we hit our financial targets. Presume it will.

Promontory Interfinancial Network Response

Feb 18, 2015CAO

The 401(k) plan started matching on Jan 1, 2015. It also has an Annual Profit Sharing Plan which has paid competitive bonuses for the past five years.

Adaptive, Ambitious, Good-Hearted, & a good place to work

I have been working at Promontory Interfinancial Network

Pros

The company is flexible and forward-thinking, with regards to both employees and external market considerations. The tech dept. is effectively transitioning to that of a departmentalized organization and adopting the latest processes, technologies, etc.

Cons

The company is transitioning a bit, so it may not appeal to those seeking a narrowly-defined role or stagnant stability.

It is great to work with competent folks who treat you with respect.

Current Employee - IT Department in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - IT Department in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Promontory Interfinancial Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Your opinions are heard and valued. The location is really nice. Benefits and compensation are good. They are willing to use cutting edge technologies and methodologies. They pay for training, which was a major plus for me. Most of all they treat you like a human being and not just an employee.

Cons

For me personally, there is a long commute it, but once you get to the office it's worth it. There is a metro stop across the street and I will likely start using that then dealing with traffic.

Advice to Management

I am really happy with my management, they trust you to do your work, but maybe a few 'hey, how do you think everything is going?' conversations to provoke some dormant ideas.

RSS Feed </> Embed