Promontory Interfinancial Network

Mark P. Jacobsen

Luckiest Day Of My Life When I Accepted PIN's Offer

Current Employee - IT Professional in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Promontory Interfinancial Network full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Upper-management only hires managers that really care about people Everyone helps others to succeed Friendly work environment and co-workers Interesting work Strong benefits package

Cons

I cannot think of a drawback or negative. There is no "Cons" to working at Promontory.

Advice to Management

I've been treated so well over the years, I hope I have lived up to your expectation.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Promontory Interfinancial Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working at Promontory for over three years now. I was thrilled when I began here, since it was such a stark contrast to my previous job, where employees were either ignored or micromanaged, and the President of the company seemed always on the verge of an angry outburst. I immediately saw that there was no "hierarchy" at Promontory and that each employee was valued and treated with respect. Upper management was approachable and welcoming. I was amazed that when I provided feedback (both positive and negative) to my supervisor, she took it seriously and made efforts to either improve things or continue down roads that were working. That's something I've seen play out over and over while I'm here. My work and opinions are valued and when I do the right thing, I'm backed by management- all the way to the top. Benefits here are great and comprehensive- generous leave and flexible schedules when you need it, great medical at a good cost, dental, vision, 401K match, paid portion of life insurance, paid short term and long term disability, etc. But, the benefits that really make work life enjoyable are monthly themed birthday parties, yearly company picnic, Halloween party, holiday party, monthly brown bag lunch and learns, etc. Not to mention food served throughout the week, casual Fridays, and a laid back, but professional environment. What makes Promontory great is that everyone works as a team- a team that's diverse, capable and kind, and where everyone is considered important. Hands down, that makes Promontory one of the best places I've worked and why I plan to continue working here as long as I can.

Cons

A few long-term staff have become bitter and jaded over the years and their negativity can be difficult to be around. But, I think, unfortunately, you'll find folks like this at any company.

Advice to Management

Continue valuing diversity and including everyone in decisions made, especially when it comes to employee benefits, work/life balance and creating a positive work environment. Don't allow the "bad apples" to poison others, and keep those who value the company, enjoy their work and are motivated to do better, a priority.

Steadily growing, becoming better and better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Promontory Interfinancial Network full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with the company for over 5 years now. I can honestly say each year has been better than the last, both for the company and for my position. The company is relentless in trying to get better. The bar gets raised continually. Yet at the same time, management, particularly the CEO, seems to have a steady hand. We don't whipsaw from one priority to the next as I've experienced with prior employers. We set a course, make alterations as needed, and move ahead. I think the company in general gives its sales staff and other managers a great deal of autonomy. We have goals but they are realistic. And the company is always aware of the bigger picture. If we miss the mark because of the economic environment, our goals adjust. In short, this is a young company (I think its only 12 or so years old) but it behaves like a mature one. Except when it doesn't. It sill has a start-up feel and culture. We have monthly parties, fruit Mondays, bagel Wednesday and sweets on Fridays. We wear jeans all summer and every Friday. And the management structure is pretty flat. If you want to talk to the CEO, just talk to him. Or ask him questions at his all-hands meetings. He never shirks them. One year he spoke to the sales force and their spouses and outlined all the mistakes he made the prior year. Pretty impressive. And the company shares all of its financial information with every employee -- no matter their rank. Frankly, I'm not sure I need to know where we stand with respect to our budget, in detail, every single month. But we can see it if we want to. Our core numbers regarding sales are updated daily on our intranet. This openness is all a legacy of when the company was a genuine startup but I appreciate it.

Cons

The company just started matching 401k benefits last month. Before then, that was a gap. The only other thing that springs to mind is the relative lack of turnover in senior management. While good from the perspective of continuity and that folks don't want to leave -- it does result in fewer vacancies for internal promotions. The only way to get more responsibility is for the company to grow.

Advice to Management

Steady as she goes.

Innovative, thoughtful, customer-centric company with a great future ahead of itself

Pros

This company invented a new category of deposits. It's a tightly run ship, taking care to do everything by the book. As it must, with over 3000 banks as its clients. I like how it goes out of its way to give the small banks a fighting chance to retain large clients. The company also goes out of its way to work with community development banks. As for perks, there are no dogs but the place is otherwise pretty laid back for a financial company. The CEO often pulls April Fools gags.

Cons

Senior management has largely remained intact for the past decade or so, thus the opportunity to advance is through growth in the overall business rather than via departures.

Advice to Management

The salary is solid, bonuses are nice, health and other benefits are good, but it's time to match on the 401k. The company promised to add it next year if we hit our financial targets. Presume it will.

Promontory Interfinancial Network Response

Feb 18, 2015 – CAO

The 401(k) plan started matching on Jan 1, 2015. It also has an Annual Profit Sharing Plan which has paid competitive bonuses for the past five years.

Adaptive, Ambitious, Good-Hearted, & a good place to work

Pros

The company is flexible and forward-thinking, with regards to both employees and external market considerations. The tech dept. is effectively transitioning to that of a departmentalized organization and adopting the latest processes, technologies, etc.

Cons

The company is transitioning a bit, so it may not appeal to those seeking a narrowly-defined role or stagnant stability.

It is great to work with competent folks who treat you with respect.

Current Employee - IT Department in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - IT Department in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Promontory Interfinancial Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Your opinions are heard and valued. The location is really nice. Benefits and compensation are good. They are willing to use cutting edge technologies and methodologies. They pay for training, which was a major plus for me. Most of all they treat you like a human being and not just an employee.

Cons

For me personally, there is a long commute it, but once you get to the office it's worth it. There is a metro stop across the street and I will likely start using that then dealing with traffic.

Advice to Management

I am really happy with my management, they trust you to do your work, but maybe a few 'hey, how do you think everything is going?' conversations to provoke some dormant ideas.

8. Great place to work!

Pros

-Strong compensation -Smart and nice colleagues -Market-leading and innovative products -Great work-life balance -Management is capable, experienced and motivated - clear that they are committed to bolstering the strength and resilience of the company (which makes me sleep better at night) -Company did a nice job navigating through a tough economic and regulatory environment and seems well positioned for the future. -CEO is very good at keeping everyone informed (through monthly reports and periodic All'Hands meetings). Information shared is quite detailed, which is nice.

Cons

Nothing really jumps to mind.

Advice to Management

None

9. Excellent Place to Work

Pros

- Brilliant CEO with great vision, who also cares very deeply about the employees. - People work hard here but are rewarded for it. It's great to work around people who care about the success of the company and their fellow co-workers. - Senior management has made a conscious effort to make the place fun. I could go on and on but will just list a few examples, including holiday parties, monthly birthday parties, casual dress all Summer, office decorating contests, costume contests, picnics, team outings, and April Fools' Day pranks. - The company has a community heart. A matching program was established after Haiti's earthquake and special offers were made for those affected by Katrina, just to name a couple of initiatives. - Management is very supportive of employees (or their loved ones) facing serious illness. - We have an environment of mutual respect and one in which diversity is valued. Domestic partnership benefits have been offered since Day 1. -Creativity is encouraged and recognized.

Cons

- No 401k matching. - If you are a person who doesn't like change, this may not be the best place for you to work.

I've worked at many jobs/functions over the course of a long eclectic career... here is where I will choose to stay put!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Promontory Interfinancial Network full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

By far the best working environment I've ever experienced. The company believes in creating innovative and unique products that make a difference in the world for average folks and large/successful organizations alike. Management is fair, transparent, rewarding, knowledgeable, visionary, confident and genuinely interested in creating a positive working environment and supportive culture for ALL employees and their families. The company is committed to being a leader in its space and to grow the business in new directions both for the benefit of the owners and to create career growth opportunities for those who labor to create the success. Entrepreneurship and hard work efforts are noticed, acknowledged and rewarded. The company is not overly concerned with structure, titles and hierarchy but instead allows each employee to customize their job function and role to their best purpose (understandably, within reason). Managers routinely "pitch in" alongside less seasoned employees to boost morale, afford educational opportunities and to simply accomplish a task. There is never any question about how the company is doing as the very down to earth and forthright CEO regularly shares news of the company's vision and performance. And it is doing well (for which we are routinely thanked). Customer service is this company's creed and its customers are loyal and respectful and appreciative of the talent assembled as well. In short, this coming to work for Promontory Interfinancial Network made me finally feel like I had found a HOME for my career aspirations.

Cons

Not many to speak of but I suppose if you are looking for a company where you can punch a clock or phone it in this is not for you. Managers and employees work hard to accomplish the task at hand because there is shared vision. This is also not the place to come to work if you can't be part of the defined "culture"... this is not the place for those who want to be strictly results oriented or in any way abrasive. The culture of the company is highly important to management and the system tends to self police those who don't manage to adapt.

Advice to Management

Nothing I can think of... try not to change too much as you continue to succeed and keep up the good work at creating and growing a great company that considers employees important to the future!

11. Excellent Place to Work

Pros

I've worked at Promontory for a few years, and it has been an excellent place to work. The environment is collegial, collaborative, and fun. But, the standards and expectations for work performance are high. I have learned a ton by working here and have been given additional responsibilities as I learn more. The company has been successful over the past decade since it started and has built an excellent core business. But, it has the feel of a "start-up" because of the dynamic and exciting new services it launches.

Cons

The company does not match 401(k) contributions and has no equity compensation plan.

RSS Feed </> Embed