Proofpoint

Proofpoint Reviews

Updated Jun 28, 2014

Proofpoint CEO and Director Gary L. Steele

Gary L. Steele

Pros
  • Good people, promising technology that is doing well in the marketplace(in 4 reviews)

• Some great people to work with as well(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management style is subpar or non-existent(in 3 reviews)

• Many good people have left recently and I may do the same soon(in 2 reviews)

Been a great place for me to grow

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGood mix of people and talent. I work a pretty standard 40 hour week, giving me time to balance out my life on nights and weekends. Developers are treated with great hardware to work on

ConsThere's been a bit of a brain drain recently, but I can see this being a temporary issue. Lack of cross product communication

Professional

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsSalary, medical and stock options

ConsWorking hours are long and very intense

Advice to Senior ManagementCracking the whip is not a strategy

Great experience. Very well-run company.

Senior Director, Channel & International Marketing (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsLeadership communicates well. Great team of director-level talent.

ConsAs company has succeeded and grown the culture has changed from scrappy startup to established market leader.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, and keep the team motivated by maintaining great exec - employee communications.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales

ProsGreat technology. There is no better product on the market.

ConsAll focus on "leads" and "deals" from marketing and sales. Little focus on brand and lacking in good sales culture.

Public company, upstart mantality

Data Center (Current Employee)

Prosflexability to do what you want

Conslittle direction, the structure of the company needs revamping

Advice to Senior Managementneed more structure, collaboration. ditch the locker room mantality

Challenging work - wrong direction?

ProsGreat people and great products. The progress Proofpoint has made over the years is impressive. The stock and valuation are in good shape.

ConsThe vacation policy is not that great. You can take vacation any time but you use it or lose it. There is no set amount of days. As far as personal growth goes, I don't feel like I have grown much technically because of the limits to the technology we are using and the rate of change Proofpoint is taking (slow). Many good people have left recently and I may do the same soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome to terms with the fact that what I work on is a managed service and not SAAS and we are hitting a brick wall with our technology and need to adapt and change the product from the core to make it "hostable" which it currently is very challenging.

Great company experiencing some growing pains

Engineering (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsTalented and high caliber engineers, unlimited vacation policy, new product extensions, interesting technologies/challenges, flexibility in work hours/location, continual positive growth & great market opportunity

ConsDevops is somewhat broken, resource constraints in engineering more so than at other companies I have worked for, highly sales driven culture

Penny wise, and pound foolish

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsThere are a lot of great and smart individual contributors. The occasional company celebrations held were usually done in style and a lot of fun.

ConsUpper management were out of touch with what was actually happening, and the impact of their cost saving decisions. A lot of time and energy was wasted due to making foolish decisions on capital investments. There was a lot of overcommitting to customers, entirely overriding policies that had been carefully designed to keep an engagement successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time talking to the people in the trenches and put more focus on a proper work-life balance.

Bean and paperwork counters rule here

Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsWith acquisition of Sendmail, future product is promising.

ConsTotal focus is on short term tasks, engulfed in triplicate paperwork--hours go in 3 different places, mandatory survey emails to customers on a near-daily iteration. Travel requirements take no consideration of traveling employee--3 hops to get anywhere, lasting all day, just to save $50. Contractor payments are almost constantly overdue, and require many levels of red tape approvals. Accounts Payable are non-responsive to payment queries.

Advice to Senior ManagementSTREAMLINE paperwork. Allow employees to make direct flights, even if it is slightly more expensive--the savings in employee stress is well worth it. Enforce prompt invoice payments. Improve Accounts Payable (and everyone's) responsiveness to queries. Proofpoint is a small-mid-sized business, but with more red tape, paperwork, and office politics than a huge enterprise. I've worked for huge enterprises, so I know something about this. It should not take months to get a contract written. It should not take months to pay a bill. Managers should not withhold projects from a good worker for personal reasons.

World class company

ProsInnovative thinking, top leadership, vision, a culture of winning, strong customer orientation

ConsNot always easy to do business with, very rigid finance and legal organization that lacks flexibility

Advice to Senior ManagementRelax corporate policies in legal and finance, survey recent customers to find out how negotiating experience compares to competitors

Worked for Proofpoint? Contribute to the Community!