Prophet Brand Strategy

prophet.com

Prophet Brand Strategy Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014
Prophet Brand Strategy – US – “Some of Our Team”

Michael Dunn

Great work, great clients, tough culture

ProsI can't imagine how you could assemble a higher-caliber list of clients to work with. The people are brilliant, our output is impactful, and our client relationships are meaningful.

ConsRecent growth initiatives have stretched the culture to its breaking point. People have left frustrated because of a lack of investment in people, and many projects are so lean it's almost impossible to achieve a "normal" work-life balance.

Go in "Eyes Wide Open"... leadership and senior management CANNOT be trusted!

Associate Partner (Former Employee)

ProsProphet has a high-profile client roster, very smart people at most levels of the company, and interesting and challenging work.

ConsExtremely poor work-life balance. Senior leaders cannot be trusted. They are two-faced and hypocritical. They will promise you one thing and then turn around and do the exact opposite. They create a facade of being a fun and collegial place to work, when in actuality nothing could be further than the truth. It is a very unhealthy, toxic work environment. It's extremely competitive/cut-throat with employees blatantly pitted against one another at all levels. Then they plan a 2-day all-firm event in Iceland and think it will make everything right. Guess what...It doesn't!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet over yourself. You're not Mercer, BCG or McKinsey and never will be. And if that's what people wanted, they'd go there! Genuinely show at least some minimal level of care about the people who work for you, instead of treating them as fungible resources whose only utility is to help you get the personal financial buyout you're seeking. Above all, be transparent and honest. You've got a long way to go to get there!

Seriously, what happened to Prophet?

Pros- Compensation is fairly competitive
    - Most people here are super smart and dedicated to their job
    - Super interesting projects with big-name companies

ConsA couple of years ago, the firm was experiencing signifiant growth, and the culture was inclusive, open, and collaborative. Since then, the company's priority has shifted drastically away from people and more towards profit maximization. After a bunch of misguided acquisitions and unfortunate hiring decisions, the firm is still grappling with retention problem among the junior ranks. Most of the senior associates I've worked with have quit in 12 months or less. I have seen way too many managers break down in the middle of the project. Like most consulting firms, work-life balance does not exist here. But unlike most consulting firms, Prophet's promotion decisions are completely arbitrary, subjective, and opaque. You can be held back from promotion even if you have the most stellar performance review, simply because a partner can make a completely unfounded comment about your personality based on one interaction alone. The firm would tell new hires, "we're casual, we're agile, and we're all part of the feedback process." Completely untrue - if you are a new associate/senior associate here, you should be especially sensitive to office politics. Whatever you do, don't try to be too opinionated, or else that one conversation will come back and follow you throughout your career here.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease introduce some meritocracy in the system - you might convince yourself that you are retaining all the best people, but you know that's not really true. All the good people are leaving, it's because the system does not reward based on merit.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A brand strategy firm with a brand identity issue

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe core vision is incredibly exciting -- but they have yet to figure out how to accomplish it. There are great benefits, competitive salaries and exposure to a spectrum of clients/companies in a variety of fields. Additionally, there are some truly great and inspiring people to work alongside.

ConsThere is little to no guidance or upfront description of expectations. While learning on the job is a fair mentality, the expectation for a starting position to have the capabilities of an employee with 5 years experience is unreasonable. They claim to hire with diverse skill-sets to bring inspired thinking to projects – that certainly isn’t the case. You will not last if you don’t fit the Prophet mode of thinking and problem solving.

They do not do well with challenges to the status quo – even if they are trying to promote a culture of inclusivity, open feedback and teamwork. There is a distinct hierarchy that creates a culture of fear and creativity stagnation. And in a questionable ethical situation, there was a decision “silence” the issue and keep the one at fault employed due to their ability to generate revenue. Their pitch makes it seem like they enjoy solving problems and helping clients – maybe that will be true one day.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to understand your employees as humans – not machines. A work hard/play hard perspective is great – but the employee proposition is fantastical. Either make a difficult change to standout and become the company you promote or accept the organization as just another consultancy designed to complete a job and not make a real impact.

Interesting work, but frustrating environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome really talented and smart people. Good client roster. Decent brand for resume.

ConsBad work-life balance: its positioned as better than other consulting/agency firms, but it's a flat-out lie. As others have mentioned, there is an unspoken expectation of 24/7/365 availability and no respect for PTO / outside work commitments. Pushing project profitability down the project manager level creates an unreasonable and unsustainable workload at the Engagement Mgr / Sr Associate level (manage up, down, project work and profitability). Also, the desire to grow the firm quickly w/o an obvious roadmap or plan was very confusing - seemed like growing for the sake of growing. And this growth came at the expense of the firm's culture, which was totally amorphous and forced.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting your "pleasers" who just look good in front of partners,but actually make project experiences terrible for their teams. The firm is shedding some talented people as a result.

Poor work-life balance and people development, but big-name clients and smart co-workers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe firm attracts very bright, motivated people. You have the opportunity to work with big-name, Fortune 500 clients on very tough strategic problems.

ConsIneffective performance review and "mentoring" system that leaves you guessing about whether or not you're on the right track. Strange culture that seems to embrace being casual, having fun, and being yourself but on the other hand is very corporate, buttoned-up, and with a bounty of unspoken rules that may leave new hires confused. The firm also has contrarian "values" for the casual atmosphere it advocates. For example, "all-in" is one of the values. All-in essentially means you're able to pull all-nighters for your team consistently, and not doing so means you're not being a team player. In general, there is poor work-life balance and some serious issues with client and project management (pressure to keep budgets lean, and the load largely falls on project teams with not enough support). The firm is also doing a lot of catching up in the digital space via acquisitions and acqui-hires, and the growing pains are evident.

Strange corporate culture..

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are some truly great people to work with here. They work with some very big name clients and seem to have quite a lot of work.

ConsGrowing rapidly with no clear vision. Need to work on helping employees develop career paths and offer proper training. The culture here is very awkward compared to other companies I've been with..

Passionate but much too rigorous. They attempt to measure EVERYTHING.

ProsGood pay, great benefits, interesting projects, company-wide retreat every two years

ConsPoor work-life balance. Expect you to always be available to make changes and answer e-mails, even on days off. No transition plan for when you plan PTO time -- day before any scheduled vacation is the worst work day ever. Leadership is always traveling -- so nobody is back at the office "minding the shop". Employee performance reviews every 6 month are time consuming and burdensome.

Too much emphasis on analytics and data crunching -- they attempt to measure everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up on workload and expectations of staff, stop trying to grow firm so aggressively -- we are bursting at the seams. Some leadership might be nice. Stop scheduling so many firm-wide meetings -- stop trying to act like a cheerleader and let me get my work done.

Diverse people, excellent benefits, challenging work

Corporate (Current Employee)

ProsA diverse group of people with backgrounds in business/marketing, design, technology, creativity, and analytics. Excellent benefits like competitive pay and bonus, generous time off (can be harder to use on the consulting side than in corporate), professional and personal recognition within the firm, and unique firm-wide gatherings.

ConsLots of travel for consultants. Career trajectory options on the corporate side is not always clear.

A gem of a company

Associate (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe people who work here are brilliant, engaged, creative and fun to be around. As soon as I joined, I knew this company was different because it cares so much about its employees. The culture is creative and fun - we love to work hard and cut loose and have fun together.

The firm has a supportive network, everyone is assigned a career coach whose job is to ensure you succeed, and stays with you throughout your career even as your bosses change from project to project. You also have a "buddy" who is more of a peer and helps you assimilate to the new job.

The work is challenging and constantly changing, and there is ample opportunity to grow.

ConsSome projects require a lot of travel, but not all.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to maintain the awesome culture even as we grow in number!

Worked for Prophet Brand Strategy? Contribute to the Community!