Propylon

Updated August 11, 2014
Updated August 11, 2014
3.8

CEO

Started my career in Propylon, learned more during my time there than all of University

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Propylon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing on-the-job learning, really helpful staff, get to work in multiple areas. Great opportunities for progression. Great atmosphere, made friends with colleagues there that are now friends for life.

Cons

Learning curve can be tough but very rewarding.

Focus on people, 121's career progression plans, vital

Good Company - badly managed

I worked at Propylon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to enterprise projects, flat management structure, opportunity to travel

Cons

Bad morale, high turnover, poor benefits, No over time but expected to work evenings and weekends. no bonuses either!

Higher management is holding the company back. Still pining over a successful project over 6 years ago. Cannot embrace change, hate new ideas, do not deliver quality products which is directly related to management inability to adapt to change, embrace new technologies. The company would prosper if they looked a little closer to home on why projects are failing aka - bad management..... Need to hire experienced people, not graduates!

Excitement and technical challenges a real opportunity to show some flare

I worked at Propylon

Pros

I was about 25/26 when I started in Propylon, I'd worked in 2 large companies before that. I took the role in Propylon because I wanted to be less anonymous in my contribution (often big company's dilute individuals good ideas, morphing them into something else by the time they hit production) and have a direct opportunity to see my code/ideas and suggestions impact customers in a positive way, with fast routes to market and rolling technical problems that needed solving.

In Propylon I made some life long friends, I was surrounded by a best in breed technical solution driven workforce, and as someone whom at the time was relatively young in their career - it was an outstanding opportunity to learn, grow and ultimately pass on skills to those coming in behind me.

The techniques, mindset, and problem solving skills passed onto me by Propylon have become the backbone to my development ethos. It will certainly remain one of the best idea/solution driven melting pots I've ever worked in. Where architects took on board suggestions from all contributors in the SDLC - and development had a lot of craic along the way!

Cons

There was a steep learning curve. This caught people out from time to time. With such a dynamic development team it could often be daunting for new starters to figure out where to focus their efforts in order to make the most impact.

Continue to foster the ideology that builds a better mouse trap.