Prosper.com

Add Photos

Aaron Vermut

Great place to work!

Product Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat people to work with - smart, motivated co-workers who take pride in their work and in the product. Pay is good, with some cool benefits. My time here for almost 1 year has been a breeze. I look forward to work every day and love the work environment. Being surrounded by smart people does help and helps you grow not only in the company but also as a professional.

ConsOpen work environment can get noisy/crowded at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat initiative by management in having an open door policy. Keep up the good work.

Excellent workplace

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThis company invests in its employees. If you work hard it is rewarded. The Executive Team are all very approachable, knowledgeable and incredibly helpful. Salary and benefits are amazing, perks such as a brand new espresso machine and new food items make it difficult to work from home! I'm really looking forward to the future with Prosper.

ConsCommunication between departments is getting better but has a long way to go. I think a company like this will always have communication issues since everything is so closely tied together, however I believe we are all working towards a better environment where communication is shared more frequently, ie the use of social media tools, ticket management systems, company townhall meetings, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great job. We're all excited to see where Prosper becoming a larger contender in the p2p lending space.

Exciting company and prospects - technology is a mess

ProsSalaries and benefits aren't bad (competitive, 401(k) match, good health insurance). The company is in a very hot space at the moment, which gives you a nice bullet on your resume and assures that there will be plenty of good press and continued growth. Most people below management are a delight to work with, care, and are good at their jobs.

ConsTechnology management is woefully inadequate with backgrounds that do not fit - little to no understanding of the financial sector or building a software platform. Very poor leadership skills, no road map to shed their aging core non-scalable infrastructure. Nepotism has lead to the hiring of unqualified people who are friends, who mean well, but are not suited for the job at hand. Their lack of experience comes out as a show of overconfidence to hide extreme inadequacies.

Work life balance doesn't exist, you will be expected to work nights and weekends often. Short cuts are taken too often.

The amount of stock offered to new engineers is near meaningless - expect it to equate to a small bonus if and when they sell or go public in several years. You are likely better off at a bigger company with better perks and budgets for conferences and the like, or a much smaller company where the equity has more meaning and job growth opportunities exist.

There is heavy unrest for those who have been in technology for more than 6 months, as an engineer I would avoid this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can probably limp along fine - you're in a hot area, Lending Club is doing it right, making you look good to the outside regardless of the internals of your operations. Replace your technology management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

rapidly expanding company with a massive market opportunity

ProsTo me, the combination one looks for when joining a rapidly expanding technology company in an ideal world is the combination of: a proven/experienced management, a massive addressable market, and a good work environment. Prosper seems to be one of the few firms that has this combination and as a result, is growing very rapidly in both revenue and headcount.

ConsBenefits have been improving rapidly and now are close to industry norms, which is great. Previously, that would have been my only complaint.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep executing and hiring top talent to ensure continued rapid growth and expansion.

Successful turnaround story in an industry ripe for disruption.

ProsForward-looking senior management with a stellar track record have successfully turned around a company that was executing poorly two years ago. The idea of p2p lending has always been a good one, the current team has the right mix of experience, pragmatism, and resources (including VC funding) to realize its potential of explosive growth, and the company is hiring top-tier talent at a rapid clip, in all disciplines.

ConsThe team is very committed and works extremely hard - sometimes to a fault in terms of long hours.
    HR / benefits are somewhat poorly organized, although improvements have been committed to for the near future.
    Technology has a deep "financial industry" pedigree and some of it is a bit archaic, this too is being addressed.
    Loan verification agents do not have a clear career path for promotions or other long-term rewards.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on hiring strong talent, including in HR and technology. Weed out underperforming team members.

Significant changes for the better across the board

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsProsper is well-capitalized and growing rapidly, which makes for an exciting place to work. Teams are still small enough that individuals can create real change, and the management seems very focused. The general vision of disintermediating consumer lending is a cool vision to get behind, too.

ConsRapid growth in hiring has led to lots of new faces, but there aren't many opportunities to mingle across silos. Benefits are improving but still not as good as top-tier start-ups.

Reviews added recently to make company look more appealing to work for..

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-New management team at the senior level is great, and rapidly growing
    -After last round of funding should be stable enough for a while capital wise

Cons-Middle management is the downfall. Old employees who have been around too long, unqualified and unappreciative.
    -Put in 2 weeks notice for a new opportunity, and they pretty much told me to pack my bags that day. Very unprofessional. I was with the company for several years too.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at the employees who've still stuck around. They were there when the company went almost bankrupt, are they really the talent you want to keep?

Fun, friendly atmosphere, huge opportunity to be part of a hot fintech company, it’s exciting!

Investments (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros-The people! Very smart, friendly, easy going, fun to work with.
    - The bosses! Exec’s are here because they want to be, not because they have to be. This makes all the difference in the world. They are passionate about Prosper, it inspires everyone. I talk with the CEO and president everyday, I learn so much from them.
    -Vacations! Take them when you want, you’re an adult, love it.
    -The opportunity of a lifetime. A new asset class, a growing company, a revolution! You are a part of history.
    -Flexibility. Work from home, leave early to attend a school play, whatever it may be. Get your work done, do what you need to do, when you need to do it. No pushback. They respect your life, you get to have one!

Cons-Can be hard to get technical resources for your projects, there are so many going on.
    -Not going to win a trip to Las Vegas or anything like that. Not that I expect to, just saying.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild Prosper a strong mobile presence. Build the brand. Make Prosper the biggest and baddest P2P company out there!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Pedal to the Metal Growth in Exciting P2P Lending Industry

Investor Account Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsExcellent Management team, huge market opportunity, career advancement opportunity in an exciting industry, Sequoia and BlackRock backed, Downtown SF Office, small team

ConsOffice culture has room to improve, poor internal communication, bad coffee, Not a lot of free food or other 'start-up' perks

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focus on Tech!

Change for the Good

ProsThe business is growing very quickly and management is now a lot more savvy about the impact of product and technology. Management is open to newer technologies and better ways of building the product and genuine support to improve existing systems to be more sustainable and efficient.

Management is also welcoming changes in the culture and listening to what employees want. When someone goes the extra mile it's recognized and rewarded instead of just being expected.

ConsThere is some heavy lifting that will be required to overhaul some of the systems in place. Figuring out how to make those changes without impacting the rapid growth of the company will not be easy.

Although the culture is starting to change, it needs a shot of adrenaline. Sometimes there's a real lack of urgency and responsibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to do everything you can to support the changes that are happening now. Forget about the way things were done before or the way things are now. Ask yourself where you want to be in 6 months, 1 year or 3 years and what needs to change to get there.

Worked for Prosper.com? Contribute to the Community!