Prosper.com Reviews

1. SDET

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test

I have been working at Prosper.com

Pros

Great place to work and young good crowd

Cons

Sometimes it gets a bit busy here.

I have been working at Prosper.com

Pros

Apart from good pay checks, I do not see any other major benefits coming our way. 401K, stocks and health insurance are provided.

Cons

Not well organised at technology level. Also, managers keep changing frequently. Did not feel like a stable place to work at.

Nothing.

Technology team needs better management

I worked at Prosper.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Successful development of features that predate the current management team have helped propel the company into the growth it's seeing today. The rest of the technology team below management has several very talented individuals who are otherwise a pleasure to work with. Salary and other miscellaneous perks (health benefits, etc) are competitive.

Cons

A year into new technology management and nothing has changed – except our loss of some exceptional engineers and frustration across the entire team. Our systems have not appreciably gotten better, our processes are relatively unchanged, and we still lack anything that resembles a roadmap – moving from project to the next without a game plan.

In exchange we have gotten management that belittles their engineering staff, their code and skills, without actually possessing those skills themselves. Finger pointing and blaming game played daily, management never seems to take the blame for mistakes. Actual shouting matches have occurred. Sexist and racist remarks appear to be encouraged via their email chains and in meetings. HR is not competent to deal with the situation (friend of management).

Their attempts to re architect into a totally different language have been a disaster, they make no effort to understand the system before proclaiming to a team of senior and seasoned engineers “this is how you’re going to do it”. Their Wikipedia like knowledge of everything is very helpful when telling engineers how to do their jobs – it’s a comfort knowing management will tell me how to do my job – a load off my mind, and thankfully, “it’s easy”. Someone read an article about all the mistakes new managers make, and they misread the title as “good practices for a new manager”.

Executive management attempts to project they want to facilitate growth of the team, while at the same time technology management is actively looking externally to replace all their leaders. At least they have seemed to have exhausted their network of bros that they can slot into leadership roles.

Hiring unqualified friends is really not working out for executive management. This is a hostile working environment for anyone in technology who isn’t a friend. If you do brave it, expect a chaotic environment, leaders who can’t lead, burn out and equity that amounts to a small bonus (over 4 years of course). Additionally, consider calling one of our ex-top engineers to learn about the systems, they are still more helpful than management. Good Luck Brave Soldier!

Listen to the team's complaints. The issues with management have persisted long enough with no direct action being taken that it's apparent the issue is not a single person.

Go big or go home!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Prosper.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, salary, autonomy, collaboration, & an exec team that empowers you and stands behind you. The time off is unlimited, the healthcare paid, and company takes care of it's people. It's a fantastic place to call home during work hours and everyone seems thrilled to be a part of it all.

Cons

A lot of moving parts, tons of teams building different things at the same time. This can always get frustrating. Growing pains are difficult, but when you are successful, it's going to happen. It's sometimes a waiting game, but it's all for good reason.

More focus on mission/values, differentiators and branding would help drive focus and success. Employees want to see more branding and advertising, sponsorships and good PR. We are proud of who we are and want others to know it.

Dynamic, focused, explosive growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Prosper.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fast paced environment where you can see ideas take flight in weeks without all the big company red tape. Benefits are top-notch and management is looking to have fun while working hard.

Cons

Rapid growth means there aren't a lot of "veterans" to learn from.....but it also means there isn't a lot of "because that's the way we've always done it" to discourage great ideas.

7. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Prosper.com full-time

Pros

Great people to work with - smart, motivated co-workers who take pride in their work and in the product. Pay is good, with some cool benefits. My time here for almost 1 year has been a breeze. I look forward to work every day and love the work environment. Being surrounded by smart people does help and helps you grow not only in the company but also as a professional.

Cons

Open work environment can get noisy/crowded at times.

Great initiative by management in having an open door policy. Keep up the good work.

Excellent workplace

I have been working at Prosper.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company invests in its employees. If you work hard it is rewarded. The Executive Team are all very approachable, knowledgeable and incredibly helpful. Salary and benefits are amazing, perks such as a brand new espresso machine and new food items make it difficult to work from home! I'm really looking forward to the future with Prosper.

Cons

Communication between departments is getting better but has a long way to go. I think a company like this will always have communication issues since everything is so closely tied together, however I believe we are all working towards a better environment where communication is shared more frequently, ie the use of social media tools, ticket management systems, company townhall meetings, etc.

Keep up the great job. We're all excited to see where Prosper becoming a larger contender in the p2p lending space.

Exciting company and prospects - technology is a mess

I have been working at Prosper.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salaries and benefits aren't bad (competitive, 401(k) match, good health insurance). The company is in a very hot space at the moment, which gives you a nice bullet on your resume and assures that there will be plenty of good press and continued growth. Most people below management are a delight to work with, care, and are good at their jobs.

Cons

Technology management is woefully inadequate with backgrounds that do not fit - little to no understanding of the financial sector or building a software platform. Very poor leadership skills, no road map to shed their aging core non-scalable infrastructure. Nepotism has lead to the hiring of unqualified people who are friends, who mean well, but are not suited for the job at hand. Their lack of experience comes out as a show of overconfidence to hide extreme inadequacies.

Work life balance doesn't exist, you will be expected to work nights and weekends often. Short cuts are taken too often.

The amount of stock offered to new engineers is near meaningless - expect it to equate to a small bonus if and when they sell or go public in several years. You are likely better off at a bigger company with better perks and budgets for conferences and the like, or a much smaller company where the equity has more meaning and job growth opportunities exist.

There is heavy unrest for those who have been in technology for more than 6 months, as an engineer I would avoid this company.

You can probably limp along fine - you're in a hot area, Lending Club is doing it right, making you look good to the outside regardless of the internals of your operations. Replace your technology management.

rapidly expanding company with a massive market opportunity

I have been working at Prosper.com

Pros

To me, the combination one looks for when joining a rapidly expanding technology company in an ideal world is the combination of: a proven/experienced management, a massive addressable market, and a good work environment. Prosper seems to be one of the few firms that has this combination and as a result, is growing very rapidly in both revenue and headcount.

Cons

Benefits have been improving rapidly and now are close to industry norms, which is great. Previously, that would have been my only complaint.

keep executing and hiring top talent to ensure continued rapid growth and expansion.

11. Significant changes for the better across the board

I have been working at Prosper.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Prosper is well-capitalized and growing rapidly, which makes for an exciting place to work. Teams are still small enough that individuals can create real change, and the management seems very focused. The general vision of disintermediating consumer lending is a cool vision to get behind, too.

Cons

Rapid growth in hiring has led to lots of new faces, but there aren't many opportunities to mingle across silos. Benefits are improving but still not as good as top-tier start-ups.