Prosper.com Reviews

Prosper.com Chief Executive Officer Aaron Vermut
Aaron Vermut

Business Development

I have been working at Prosper.com

Pros

This is the best company I have ever worked for. They really care about values and culture and making sure this will be a fun place to work at. The industry is great and the company is growing very fast which in turn creates a ton of opportunity.

Cons

Very complex business that requires a lot of learning. The pressure to preform is immense.

Awesome Company , Happy to work here

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Prosper.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Prosper has allowed me to gain experience and learn new skills. There are endless opportunities -- there's always something new to build or improve on. Good encouragement for people to stretch and try new things. Great people, perks, and benefits too! I referred one of my best friend to Sr. software engineer position, unfortunately he get rejected , because company needs talent people. If you are talented then Prosper is best place. If you are too talkative without doing assigned work then Prosper is not good place .

Cons

Nothing I can think of

Advice to Management

Upper Management is amazing. Everyone quickly learns your name and makes it a point to make you feel apart of the team and like what you are doing matters.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Prosper.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees at Prosper are great to work with and management is very intent on ensuring that everyone is engaged and enjoying their work with the company. It is a fast growing company, which means there is excellent growth opportunity.

Cons

It is a fast growing company, which means there are a lot of procedures and policies that are missing. This could go pro or con depending on your perspective.

Care before its too late!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Prosper.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unbelievable growth in business for the company. Good working culture overall except in few groups and the senior management. Good group events and hackathans.

Cons

In engineering the culture is screwed up. Only the new engineers are respected and given new projects. CTO has been methodically getting rid of the older employees and hires people from Auction or his previous companies without interviews. The company values are preached for the crowds and are suppressed within the group. Open door policy is advertised but anyone speaking out is penalized. Safe if you follow the regime rule. Doing things right seem to be of least importance. What you are making us build is a recipe for disaster.

Advice to Management

CEO - Stay close to engineers to know their concerns. You care but are unable to support. Stop the disaster before it strikes. CTO - There is talent within the group, it existed before you and your group took over and it is still thriving. Do not suppress creativity and talent. Respect your boss in your group so everyone shows the same respect. Do not ridicule any of your peers be it the CEO, COO, President or others. Respect people for what they are. HR - Company values are wonderful, please make sure they are being followed. People, Respect, Fearless etc none are even existential in engineering. We was informed to follow the orders from CTO or be sidelined. Overall encourage the employees to build a strong company for years ahead not for near future.

Meh

I have been working at Prosper.com

Pros

-Good snacks -Great coworkers -5 percent 401k match is nice

Cons

-High/middle management in verification is weak, constantly scrambling last minute -Managers ignore input from people on the ground -Same thing day in and day out, most customers unhappy due to some bait and switch marketing

Advice to Management

There is a reason everyone experienced is leaving

Cover up with coerced reviews.

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Prosper.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company's growth is ginormous. Rewrite of the application is a unique opportunity.

Cons

An honest review triggers multiple reviews that show the group as the best - so predictable. Employees must realize that it is their responsibility to show the true picture not only for making the environment better for themselves but for the future hires. Engineers are called and given specific instructions to write good reviews. Work life balance for the engineering management is different from us. While we work long hours, management acts like its not their concern. A long day for them is to stay at office until 5. Treat the engineers right, we have families and kids too. Engineers suggesting best practices and how unit tests are important to produce quality code are shut immediately. Best practices are discouraged and the outcome is a buggy application. For a financial company, this will be a killer. Hats off to whoever wrote the "Care before its too late!" review for his honest opinion and suggestions. We need honest reviews to make the company better not coerced. All leads for the rewrite projects are engineers that were hired by the CTO, evidence enough to prove existing engineers are not respected for their talent. Hiring practices are bad. Engineers with talent are rejected and those from the managements previous companies are hired. Rewrite is being done with no understanding of the business. I call the reviews coerced because i heard the demand made to us. We do not talk in fear of retaliation from the groups management. This has happened in the past and we are now forced to act dumb. If the application breaks, blame all other departments except the group that wrote such bad code. Shame on the management for encouraging this and shame on us for letting the management force us do this.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people not to what is catered to your ear. There is a lot at play and you are being fed the information that the group management intends on. Reward people that are working hard, not the one's polluting the culture cause that sets wrong precedence. We are creative, defend the group before the creativity is lost. If this continues more good people will leave the company. You have to stand by the members of the management but also listen to the employees who are building it for the company. If the management and guidance is bad, what we build will only make the company lose its edge.

Amazing, Great Company!!

Current Employee - Loan Verification Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Loan Verification Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Prosper.com

Pros

I work at the Phoenix office, and coming from the retail baking industry, Prosper is an amazing company to transition into. They have such a great company culture and work environment. My co-workers and managers are the best!! I honestly look forward to going to work every day, and I am constantly learning and growing in my position. Every day is a new opportunity to grow and meet your goals. The company does a good job with giving you so many opportunities to succeed and be productive. This is the best company I've ever worked for.

Cons

Not enough junk food in the FULLY STOCKED break room ;)

fun and exciting

I have been working at Prosper.com full-time

Pros

Laid back fun. Work hard play hard.

Cons

Traffic in to downtown Phoenix

Fun, Fast Paced Environment

I have been working at Prosper.com

Pros

I have been working full time at Prosper for 7 months and really enjoy my job and this company. We're in a very exciting industry and this is a fast-paced, fast-growing company, so everyday there is a new challenge. Because we are still a small company but growing quickly, there is a great opportunity to be part of building the culture and part of influencing decisions that will shape the future of the company. I didn't come from a financial background, but have been able to get up to speed quickly on our industry. It's a great group of smart, motivated individuals that are working together to build a great company.

Cons

You have to love a fast-paced, results-oriented environment to enjoy working here.

Advice to Management

Keep soliciting feedback from employees and use it to shape the future of the company. Great job so far.

“Great place to work! ”

I have been working at Prosper.com

Pros

Everyday is a new experience. If you're looking for an extremely fast-paced environment, this is where you want to be. Since they are still growing, you have a chance to make your mark with creating policies an procedures. Great place to work and young good crowd Benefits Nice new office Good location in downtown SF There is a lot of good intitiave being taken in engineering which should help company prosper

Cons

Food in the party is not good :P

Advice to Management

“Great place to work! ”

Prosper.com Response

Jul 27, 2015 – Chief Executive Officer

You’re not the first person to say that. We heard this feedback from many, so we recently upgraded our kitchen with a lot of new options. We are always seeking feedback and looking to upgrade healthy ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed