Prosper.com Reviews

1. SDET

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test

I have been working at Prosper.com

Pros

Great place to work and young good crowd

Cons

Sometimes it gets a bit busy here.

2. Avoid

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Prosper.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits
    Nice new office
    Good location in downtown SF

Cons

The engeneering department is a mess. Upper management has no idea what they are doing. Engineers are basically making decisions on how the product should work because the product team doesnt do their job. It is encouraged for engineers not to write tests which creates a very fragile code base. Upper management imposes impossible deadlines.

3. Lessons learned from both sides of the fence.

I worked at Prosper.com full-time

Pros

Everyday is a new experience. If you're looking for an extremely fast-paced environment, this is where you want to be. Since they are still growing, you have a chance to make your mark with creating policies an procedures.

Cons

Because things are ever revolving, the company is growing faster than they have resources available. Several individuals are not doing the job that they were hired for and are getting burnt out trying to figure out what their new role is. Management does not always listen to your concerns and you risk the feeling of being "run over".

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when they express needs and concerns. Take notice when your team is working past reasonable hours, almost every night.

Epic levels of dysfunction

I worked at Prosper.com full-time

Pros

-Company has got a ton of funding & is growing very quickly
    -Hot space with a lot of interest
    -New offices are beautiful

Cons

-Board & execs are almost all bankers, so the culture thinks of the tech & product folks as IT
    -Top-driven roadmap and deadlines
    -Company is struggling with an enormous amount of tech debt & unstable infrastructure
    -Talk of agile but really a waterfall process
    -Disagreement can be seen as disloyalty
    -Culture used to be more open to conversation and openness, now it's all about showing which team/dept can beat the others
    -Some possibly shady things being done, including some practices that are no longer standard (lack of email unsubscribe options, how long user data is stored & who has access to it, which third parties can access user data)
    -Blistering pace of hiring means unclear ownership, increasing bureaucracy, turf wars
    -Ineffectual HR department that's not equipped to handle the volume of new hires and personnel problems that can come up

Advice to Management

Pay attention to new hire quality
    Develop organization processes that maybe weren't as relevant when the company was smaller

I have been working at Prosper.com

Pros

Apart from good pay checks, I do not see any other major benefits coming our way. 401K, stocks and health insurance are provided.

Cons

Not well organised at technology level. Also, managers keep changing frequently. Did not feel like a stable place to work at.

Advice to Management

Nothing.

Technology team needs better management

I worked at Prosper.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Successful development of features that predate the current management team have helped propel the company into the growth it's seeing today. The rest of the technology team below management has several very talented individuals who are otherwise a pleasure to work with. Salary and other miscellaneous perks (health benefits, etc) are competitive.

Cons

A year into new technology management and nothing has changed – except our loss of some exceptional engineers and frustration across the entire team. Our systems have not appreciably gotten better, our processes are relatively unchanged, and we still lack anything that resembles a roadmap – moving from project to the next without a game plan.

In exchange we have gotten management that belittles their engineering staff, their code and skills, without actually possessing those skills themselves. Finger pointing and blaming game played daily, management never seems to take the blame for mistakes. Actual shouting matches have occurred. Sexist and racist remarks appear to be encouraged via their email chains and in meetings. HR is not competent to deal with the situation (friend of management).

Their attempts to re architect into a totally different language have been a disaster, they make no effort to understand the system before proclaiming to a team of senior and seasoned engineers “this is how you’re going to do it”. Their Wikipedia like knowledge of everything is very helpful when telling engineers how to do their jobs – it’s a comfort knowing management will tell me how to do my job – a load off my mind, and thankfully, “it’s easy”. Someone read an article about all the mistakes new managers make, and they misread the title as “good practices for a new manager”.

Executive management attempts to project they want to facilitate growth of the team, while at the same time technology management is actively looking externally to replace all their leaders. At least they have seemed to have exhausted their network of bros that they can slot into leadership roles.

Hiring unqualified friends is really not working out for executive management. This is a hostile working environment for anyone in technology who isn’t a friend. If you do brave it, expect a chaotic environment, leaders who can’t lead, burn out and equity that amounts to a small bonus (over 4 years of course). Additionally, consider calling one of our ex-top engineers to learn about the systems, they are still more helpful than management. Good Luck Brave Soldier!

Advice to Management

Listen to the team's complaints. The issues with management have persisted long enough with no direct action being taken that it's apparent the issue is not a single person.

Go big or go home!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Prosper.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, salary, autonomy, collaboration, & an exec team that empowers you and stands behind you. The time off is unlimited, the healthcare paid, and company takes care of it's people. It's a fantastic place to call home during work hours and everyone seems thrilled to be a part of it all.

Cons

A lot of moving parts, tons of teams building different things at the same time. This can always get frustrating. Growing pains are difficult, but when you are successful, it's going to happen. It's sometimes a waiting game, but it's all for good reason.

Advice to Management

More focus on mission/values, differentiators and branding would help drive focus and success. Employees want to see more branding and advertising, sponsorships and good PR. We are proud of who we are and want others to know it.

Dynamic, focused, explosive growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Prosper.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced environment where you can see ideas take flight in weeks without all the big company red tape. Benefits are top-notch and management is looking to have fun while working hard.

Cons

Rapid growth means there aren't a lot of "veterans" to learn from.....but it also means there isn't a lot of "because that's the way we've always done it" to discourage great ideas.

10. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Prosper.com full-time

Pros

Great people to work with - smart, motivated co-workers who take pride in their work and in the product. Pay is good, with some cool benefits. My time here for almost 1 year has been a breeze. I look forward to work every day and love the work environment. Being surrounded by smart people does help and helps you grow not only in the company but also as a professional.

Cons

Open work environment can get noisy/crowded at times.

Advice to Management

Great initiative by management in having an open door policy. Keep up the good work.

Excellent workplace

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Prosper.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company invests in its employees. If you work hard it is rewarded. The Executive Team are all very approachable, knowledgeable and incredibly helpful. Salary and benefits are amazing, perks such as a brand new espresso machine and new food items make it difficult to work from home! I'm really looking forward to the future with Prosper.

Cons

Communication between departments is getting better but has a long way to go. I think a company like this will always have communication issues since everything is so closely tied together, however I believe we are all working towards a better environment where communication is shared more frequently, ie the use of social media tools, ticket management systems, company townhall meetings, etc.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job. We're all excited to see where Prosper becoming a larger contender in the p2p lending space.