Prosperity Bank

Okay company

Current Employee - Lending Assistant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Lending Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Prosperity Bank

Pros

401k match is great, good place to start and get to know the industry,

Cons

pay is low, each banking center is ran completely different, little room for growth unless your lobby manager like you

Does not want employees transferring...

Former Employee - Bank Teller in Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in Abilene, TX

I worked at Prosperity Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I actually liked most of the people I worked with. They were kind and hard working, in spite of constant cut-backs around the office.
    Benefits package was decent and affordable. There were two options and I had the cheaper one which only cost me about $20 per paycheck. They also offer 401K options that are easy to manage.

Cons

Hard to move around and very few job opportunities outside of the main cities (Houston, Lubbock, or Victoria). Also transferring is not as easy as it should be.
    In an environment where a teller can be fired for just about anything, it's crazy that some employees were unbearable to work with and never once got in trouble or disciplined. There was a lot of playing favorites, but that's to be expected in most office situations.
    The company buys out failing banks (which is fine with me) but then to make up for that money until their investments pay off, Prosperity is extremely stingy. Our banking center was actually not provided with facial tissues for a while and we were told we could use toilet paper. This is just unprofessional looking.

Offer the ability to transfer with a liveable wage. I moved from Abilene to the DFW area (which is an extra $150-200 rent/month) and was told I would be making the same wages. I was told it was because I was transferring, so I tried applying after I got there and was given the same offer. This doesn't even make sense. No one can live on that.

Best company I've worked for

I have been working at Prosperity Bank

Pros

Lots of opportunity to move around

Cons

Not understanding with family at all

Personal Banker

Current Employee - Personal Banker
    Current Employee - Personal Banker

I have been working at Prosperity Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I started off as a teller and was able to work up to teller supervisor and then a Personal Banker. So the opportunity to move up is there if you work hard and of course have a good relationship with the lobby manager.

Cons

Some people should've been fired for their BIG mistakes after making them multiple times. The pay is not that great. You never really get the chance to see management. The raises are not that significant. Sales aren't pushed and the loans are mostly given to the people with seniority which isn't fair since those have incentives. The training isn't all that although they do have banking center support who you can call when you need help but it's embarrassing and prolongs the wait time for customers.

Part-Time Teller

Former Employee - Teller in College Station, TX
    Former Employee - Teller in College Station, TX

I worked at Prosperity Bank part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great environment, growing company, offer a great work-life balance, and give back to the community. My co-workers were great, and they have very conservative lending practices which leads to a strong bank

Cons

Antiquated technology doesn't allow employees to better help the customer, part-time hours are not very flexible, pay was not as competitive as it should be, and management style was a bit unprofessional in my opinion.

Upgrade technology and empower employees

Management focused on acquisitions and expenses, not customers or employees

Current Employee - Vice President/Lender in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President/Lender in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Prosperity Bank full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The 401k match is well above average, although so are the 401k administrative and fund fees. The loan rates are competitive. The website is decent, and the "popmoney" money transfer feature and other customer options are beneficial.

There is no formal incentive program for loan officers and therefore not much sales pressure; there is also not much volume at many branches and not much in the way of goals there either. Because of constant turnover after the frequent acquisitions, Prosperity rarely does layoffs.

Cons

Senior management prides itself on having the lowest efficiency ratio in the industry, which means by definition this is the cheapest bank in America. Since 40% of executive incentive pay is based on keeping this ratio low, and the CEO bragged on an earnings call recently that he'd make employees bring their own toilet paper to work if he could get away with it. This mindset is the root from which all the other "cons" stem. Beyond general irritants such as no coffee or water allowed for clients in the branches, no maternity leave or short term disability, and no maintenance for branches which look ever more dilapidated, the ability of employees to do their job is compromised by some cost savings efforts:

Investments in technology are delayed until critical, meaning not only are certain systems outdated or non-existent, but we don't have enough servers and the system crashes or freezes on a regular basis.

Salaries are low, and there is no formal incentive plan for lenders. Bonuses are low and discretionary, so workers with ambition or skill move on to other employers, leaving Prosperity with more complacent and/or less competent employees who are overworked and underpaid (with the exception of many lenders and managers who were strong-armed into signing long term contracts during acquisitions). Most support centers (HR, IT, loan operations) are severely understaffed, and approved salaries for new positions are so low that lending teams are forced to hire from within and promote those with no lending experience rather than recruit good talent.

The company is still run like a $150MM old boys club community bank. From a shareholder perspective things have worked out so far, and as long as the regulators don't prevent new acquisitions it may continue. Management's strategy is to out-grow the attrition of workers and the runoff off customers by buying more banks rather than investing in existing staff and systems and growing loans or fees organically. They are open about this. All our rules and loan policy are organized around making sure the bank can continue to be allowed to make acquisitions - there is literally no talk of gaining market share, retaining customers, offering competitive products, or organic loan growth. One can only assume their ultimate goal is to sell the company to a larger competitor.

Start thinking about selling before things unravel internally, and/or start investing in better systems and retaining/recruiting quality employees. We need an incentive plan if you ever want organic growth; we need better staffed support centers, and we need modern (non email- and Excel-based) approval procedures.

Favoritism is how you "prosper" in this bank

Current Employee - Bank Teller in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Bank Teller in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Prosperity Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The job itself is just plain easy once you learn it. And there is no sales pressure like Wells Fargo and BOA... But I know that they are slowly but surely getting to selling.

Cons

Zero room for moving up. People are fighting over positions. Once you get in your place of comfort you better stay There and make friends with management because that's the only way to move up if your lucky. I got lied to about a position being mine and then FOUND OUT (not told by management) it was given to someone who didn't even apply for the position just got moved up out of no where. The new tellers that I train (all of them) in my branch are making more than me and I'm the one who has taught and guided them to where they are now. No recognition for the rights I do, only my wrongs. Management sits back while the rest of the "team" does everything. The gossip in the bank feels much like a high-school hallway every single day. I hate going to work just to be belittled and undermined by people above me. All they have for their reasoning for their actions are "it's politics, get used to it" or "it's just not your time to move up" ... My advice to ANYONE going into ANY position is FIND ANOTHER BANK.

Hard work, rude customers, great pay!

Former Employee - Bank Teller in Corpus Christi, TX
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in Corpus Christi, TX

I worked at Prosperity Bank full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers easy to work with, great pay for some of us, and I would get to come in at 12 sometimes!

Cons

No overtime aloud, customers were very rude, and the drama was outrageous.

Loans Administration -

Former Employee - Loans Administration in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Loans Administration in Houston, TX

I worked at Prosperity Bank full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flex hours -- some managers are willing to work around your schedule - nice if you are in college. Generous overtime.

Some lenders and their assistants are wonderful but they are few and far between.

Cons

Pay is poor for the work required. No direct deposit unless you have an account at their bank and if you choose to get a mailed out check and it gets lost in the mail be prepared to wait for a very long time for a replacement while your bills stack up. Overtime paid several weeks in arrears, paychecks are difficult to decipher. You'll never know if it is correct.

Be ready to step back 25 years with technology - computers often freeze for long periods of time and software as well as servers crash often.

Very thick glass ceiling that seems to be unbreakable. All senior management are men.

The biggest con for this company is attitude. Egos. Be prepared to be judged and chastised and sometimes belittled daily by your manager by what you may have done incorrectly and not at all - ever - for what you did right. There isn't any teamwork and don't expect any encouragement. If you are not a lender / banker you are considered to be lower than the lowest man on the totem pole even if you have many more years of experience than they do.

Also expect others in your area to run to management either face to face or cc'd on an email when they find even the smallest of errors and know those errors will all count against you when you get your annual review. And also expect to be called on the carpet for those errors and you're allowed to offer an explanation.

Loan policy is generic and most decisions are made on the fly. Many favors to circumvent loan policy and/or regulation are made to favorite lenders while others are left in the cold.

My advice - do not apply unless you want to work in a very old style management environment.

No advice to management - it's never going to change. Management likes it this way.

Prosperity takes your life.

Former Employee - Front-line in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Front-line in Houston, TX

I worked at Prosperity Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employer matching of up to 7% for 401 (k) is a nice benefit. Most local employees are friendly.

Cons

Constant changes in policies and procedures cause confusion for front-line employees. Christmas bonuses are a joke. Quit preaching about supporting the stock holders. We all know who owns the stocks.

The computer system is out dated and needs to be updated. Test should be run before programs are updated. It is difficult to help customers when the computers are slow or down.