Protection One Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014

2.5

Tim Whall

Probably the worst environment that I have ever worked in.

Current Employee - Commercial Sales Representative  in  Visalia, CA
    Current Employee - Commercial Sales Representative in Visalia, CA

I have been working at Protection One full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The benefits and 401k are decent.

Cons

Local management, regional management and corporate executives could care less about helping you to be successful. Plan on getting absolutely no support.

Dedicated employees make a company successful not empty speeches or theororetical stories.

terrible operation

I have been working at Protection One full-time

Pros

none. since coming to P1 I've had very little training, they force gm's to attempt to reach ridiculous standards with a bare bones operation.

Cons

lack of training, poor processes, poor culture, overall not a place I would recommend working for. the disconnect between operations and sales is ridiculous.

its very clear this operation is being run on a budget designed to maximize profits to ultimately raise the price on the sale of the company. invest more time and resources into training your people and you'll have a higher quality operation.

Door to door alarm sales.

Former Employee - Commercial Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Commercial Sales Representative

I worked at Protection One as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

When sales are good and the market is right things are awesome. If you get into a neighborhood that hasn't been hit by other sales people in a while it's good. The pay is great and all commission. The support staff is good and the installers are good as well. The company reimburses your rent if you hit a certain quota.

Cons

long hot days of walking and getting doors slammed in your face and nowhere to use the restroom or eat. No medical benefits and it's hard and discouraging not being able to have your team around you all day. If you get into an area that has been hit a lot lately with other people selling things or even alarms from another company, it's rough, everyone had heard some variation of your pitch and don't want to listen to you.

I don't know the incentive programs are good and the contests, I think the company takes pretty good care of you except maybe if you are in an area that is not working don't commit and stay there the whole summer find somewhere else where people can actually make some good sales.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Field customer rep.

Former Employee - FCR
    Former Employee - FCR

I worked at Protection One full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Use to be a great place to work before it was sold.

Cons

Horrible managment. The company is in competition with its own self. Telephone operators are out bidding the sells rep.

Sell the company already and move on.

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN...THINGS ARE NOT WHAT YOU THINK THEY ARE! THE WORST! RUN FAST, RUN FAR!

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Protection One full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They have nice marketing material.

Cons

No direction, no leadership, no support, no universal pricing, insufficient staff in the branches, no regard for the customers or the employees, no communication, morale is extremely low unless you are in upper management. Unreasonable quotas, no leads, no raise in car allowance the entire time I have been here. Impossible to get paid what is owed to you....they find a loophole to withhold your commissions. Managers know little about the industry...they hire guys to read the p&l. Lets see...they fired almost all the IT department, good luck getting IT support. They tell you to send an e mail to IT for help if you need it...wait, I cant...my computer doesn't work...that's why I need IT support !They don't carry inventory in the local branches...hey, that cost to much money! No ink for printers...hey, that cost too much! Can't use Fed Ex...must use USPS to save money! Getting a stamp from them is a long and torturous process. Work environment is unhealthy, hostile and uncooperative. There are no clear processes in place resulting in a constant state of confusion and blatant inefficiency. I could on...

Stop spending so much time patting yourself on the back and open your eyes to what the actual condition of the company, the employees and the customers is. The employees hate this company. Guess what, I can't afford to participate in your charity and community service projects because I am too busy trying to hold my family together since my income has been cut in half since new management took over! And your healthy employee programs? The stress of the last few years has resulted in me developing high blood pressure and also needing anxiety and depression medication. Thanks...at least I have an awful insurance plan to pay nothing towards the medication.

Info technology leadership knows how put the FUN in dysFUNctional.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at Protection One full-time for more than a year

Pros

[This review is focused on the IT department]
    The purpose of supporting LIFE SAFETY is an extremely compelling prospect. It's a shame that such a worthy goal is typically overshadowed by the grind of account management, contracts and sales commissions. I don't want to fault the business for needing to run like a business, after all I rarely heard a call to a higher standard.
    Many of the individual contributors provide EXCEPTIONAL RESULTS, contributing Herculean efforts without suitable resources, perpetually changing priorities and across teams that appear diametrically opposed.
    The incredibly high level of LOYALTY for those who have served longest is almost indescribable, in spite of how poorly so many are treated.

Cons

Where to begin? Strongly count the cost if you're a SQL Server DBA. There's been 6-7 of them pass through in the last 4 years. Two have left in the April 2014.
    After two significant reduction in forces over the past 4 years, it appears the staff is SHELL-SHOCKED This may explain a level of insecurity that appears to drive management seems so convincingly to work against one another. There is perpetually a concern for being sold, which common place across the industry, and leads to additional cutbacks. Such is the risk for taking SOMETHING DESERVING VALOR and trying to sell it like a commodity.
    I suspect some number of those who remain will likely be making a way toward a door, soon. Whether staying within the industry or moving onto new endeavors each will likely find an organization more appreciative of their talents, readily able to recognize and REWARD THEM.
    I suspect those in the role of a decision maker are sufficiently insulated from the DISCORD THAT IS PREVALENT and because there is such attention given to accounts, contractors and sales. I partnered with two guys in NJ work tirelessly for 12, 14, 16 hour days during the 2 weeks of hurricane Sandy. While I was safe in my city, they had to deal with the aftermath of their homes. These are the HEROES of P1, not the top salesman for Q3.

Really pay attention to what's going on. The complacency demonstrated is showing you to be complicit.
    There's enough respect and knowledge within the industry to REALLY make a go of this. Try generating some good will:
    1. Have a sincere discussion with those within IT to find out what's working and what's not working.
    2. Offer up more than a combined 2-3% raise and bonus, with an investment toward training that demonstrates real commitment,.

Lies to get you in the door, rampant cronyism

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wichita, KS

I worked at Protection One full-time for more than a year

Pros

None I can think of. Such a terrible experience that it pushed me to go back to school to finish teaching degree. Realized in that place hard work means nothing,

Cons

Took a pay cut to come to the company, promised with my experience as long as stats were good I would move up in 90 days. 6 months perfect stats and doing extra work I asked over and over about moving up, told no positions available and then hear two people were moving up, one was best friends with hiring manager, other one had a wife in office of CEO, both had less education, experience, and quality of work than mine.

Promote based on objective factors, not who knows who. Don't lie to employees. Were you just mad that I was smarter than you? Seriously, my IQ is genius level, hard to work for idiot managers, was my intelligence threatening to you?

Awful workplace, worst management I've experienced!

Current Employee - Sales  in  Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Sales in Orem, UT

I have been working at Protection One full-time for more than a year

Pros

None. I've tried to be a sport about the switch from Pinnacle to P1 but it's been nothing but bad decisions, over promising and under delivering. I'm only still here while I search for something worth my time. This place will never be. Most employees around me and in my department agree.

Cons

Poor workplace, management is terrible, company direction is dismal, and pay is pathetic. They claim awesomeness but fail at every turn. They ruined what was once good at Pinnacle Security in the same building a year ago.

If your customers and employees are unhappy, you are wrong. Underpaying and under-delivering will sink your ship.

Upper management

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Protection One full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Decent benefits, decent work schedule

Cons

Bad atmosphere, upper management, a lot of unhappy employees. Let a lot of long time employees go. Company will be for sale soon so a lot of deals they are taking are just for the books. Horrible place to work, everyday is depressing listening to customers yelling at how horrible the service is now and they want to cancel

stop writing fake reviews saying how great this place is. Out of all employees I work with not one can say anything good

Protection One has renewed my faith in large companies being able to feel like family!

Current Employee - Marketing Director  in  Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Orem, UT

I have been working at Protection One full-time for less than a year

Pros

Protection One offers a wide variety of career opportunities, treats every employee at all career levels as an important member of the company and strives to deliver a "Perfect Day" to both external and internal customers.

Cons

There is a high level of importance on delivering for the customer and excelling in each job role, which can make work/life balance challenging. Each individual needs to also make this a priority as it will only help to enhance their abilities across the board.

Continue what you're doing, I love my job, those I work with and the opportunities that lay ahead.

Worked for Protection One? Contribute to the Community!