Protective Life

Be The First To
Add Photos

Protective Life Chairman, President, and CEO John D. Johns

John D. Johns

Many opportunities for career growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsProtective has a family-friendly culture that supports its employees. The benefits and time off policies are competitive in the local market. During my time with the company, I experienced great career growth and also saw many of my peers grow their careers as well.

ConsSome projects and initiatives don't get off the ground due to analysis-paralysis. The company is a little too risk adverse sometimes. (They are an insurance company...)

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile Protective does promote from within, there seems to be a limit. C-Suite placements mostly seem to be outside hires in recent years. Encourage all employees to achieve their best by looking for talent from within.

Seven years and people still speak to you! Amazing.

Analyst (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsFriendly work-life balance, prestigious company now being purchased by Dai-Ichi Life from Japan.

ConsStrong company financially may well be destroyed by outsider purchase who doesn't understand the work culture of Alabamians or Americans in general.

Advice to Senior ManagementReconsider this buy out.

One big family!!

IT (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsGreat benefits, and great corporate values. They have a true servants heart.

ConsSome times it can feel like communication up the chain is almost like a hassle to your boss. kinda feels like your issues are unimportant even though they are the ones that are managing the project.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut in an open door policy so if someone has a quick question they feel a little more open to just stoping by and asking it real quick.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great family work life....unless you know the right people or can play the game don't look for advancement on merit.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsGreat facility, with healthy living amenities, friendly environment.

ConsIts not what you know its who you know. Poor advancement on based on merit or performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote your talent...not your friends..

Good Job

New Business Processor (Former Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsThere's a jogging trail nearby. And a nice gym downstairs.

ConsCo-workers were really catty. It felt like you weren't trusted to get your work done because there were actual monitors that kept track of any down time and if you were away from your computer for 15 minutes your manager would get an email notification.

Advice to Senior ManagementEverybody needs their own printer. The communal printer is a real bummer.

Good enough

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsBenefits are decent, flex time is good, gym on site, people are mostly nice, work from home benefits when needed.

ConsNon technical analysts expect you to keep your head down and "just code" without asking questions or trying to improve the software. Has resulted in a fragile system developed over 15 years without proper upkeep, many talented technical people willing to jump in and make it better but get burned out on fighting non-technical analysts and slow business processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the overhead, non technical analysts are useless and slow down progress - get a proper QA department and trust your technical staff to do what they do best.

Asset Protection Division

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsFriendly people, business casual culture, decent pay & benefits & PTO, short workday on Fridays, good location

ConsNo opportunity for career development and doesn't appear to be room for advancement, don't seem interested in retaining talent, some departments are very understaffed for the relative workload

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing changes if nothing changes and this company seems to be stuck in a rut, clear strategy and decisive leadership needs to come from the top down and not from veeps with personal agendas

I have been very satisfied with my time here!

Institutional Life Account Specialist (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

Pros-If you work hard at your job, this company will take care of you!
    -Management has an open door policy
    -Can get great feedback at your quarterly reviews

Cons-not open to having their employees work remote if in an office position
    -pay in some positions may be lower than the rest of the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at letting more employees work from home on a permanent basis.
    Look at giving a small bump in pay to the rest of the industry

The work itself is easy, monotonous. For the most part, not a highly school educated work force.

ProsCoworkers are kind, there are multiple rounds of checking info entered so if something is incorrect it mostly gets caught and fixed.

ConsBeing expected to know laws and regulations without being taught. Little money, long hours. How long you work there matters more to them than your level of education or intellect.

Short lived, and glad it was

Customer Support Claims Manager (Former Employee) Bannockburn, IL

ProsNo brainer claims work, no exhaustion, few interfaces with outraged claimants required

ConsVery quirky culture, secret-handshake inside relationships for some and not for others...it was all about who you knew. Bully management style, find something "wrong" with your work and pester you incessantly about it; at least until they got tired of that and went on to bother your peer, or they found a contrived way to "invite you to leave” Company threw a full out Christmas party after having complained all year about having to make budgetary cutbacks...scratching head.

Advice to Senior ManagementBoo...keep an eye on those sneaky employees, they may be trying to get away with something.

Worked for Protective Life? Contribute to the Community!