Protective Life

Protective Life Chairman, President, and CEO John D. Johns

John D. Johns

Great Intern Expereince

Summer Intern (Former Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsEngaged the intern with senior management
    Gave a thorough overview of the company
    Great intern bonding time at thebasball games

ConsI wish the pay was a little more competitive and that the interns could get to experience more within the different companies.

This well is poisoned!

Customer Service (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsThey do have a gym and on sight nurse.

ConsBenefits have dwindled. Entrenched management. Two class society. Advancement is based on who you can cover for rather than skill or knowledge. Human resources turns blind eye to obvious abuses. Managers who have no business managing while people with law degrees work the phones waiting for a better job opportunity. Fake.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house!

Great company to work for

Technical Support Analyst II (Current Employee) Calabasas, CA

ProsWorking without supervision. Great manager.

ConsCompany closed office in CA even though there won't be a presence in CA now.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not bad, but people see it as a stepping stone to something else.

ProsPTO is great
    Coworkers are very helpful

ConsVery disorganized
    slow processes
    technology impaired

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiding business problems from employes, it creates anxiety and closed door environment.

Steady and secure

Call Center Representative (Current Employee)

ProsLots of days off, benefits, great individuals - very professional people - dress is casual. awesome managers. can grow in company horizontally & learn learn lots.

ConsNo room for growth vertically

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on Reviews larger than 2% for hard workers.

Good place to work

Annuity Analyst (Former Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsNice office, it has a gym and a cafeteria. My manager was good.

ConsThey keep up with whether you are sitting at your desk or not through the movement of your computer mouse. It feels very big brotherish to know your manager will get an email informing them of the amount of time you were away from your desk.

Contract employment does not lead to permanent as led to believe.

Life Underwriter (Former Employee)

ProsStable, good work environment, people genuinely are nice.

ConsFast-paced, only concerned with quantity rather than quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make promises you can't fulfill.

Great Internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat internship program and learning experience for college students. C-suite level guests spoke as well as other upper level managers. Early end-times on Fridays

ConsPay was not competitive compared to other internships around Birmingham

Great experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople stay there long. Commitment. Great intern program. Have lots of opportunities to talk to C-suite employees.

Consinsurance industry has lots of processes to go

Excellent work environment tailored towards meeting the needs of the individual and openly likes to promotes from within

Staff Accountant (Former Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsEmployee focused and friendly atmosphere with personal training, access to upper management and mentors. Provide opportunities to individuals who show an aptitude and interest in a given area. Career planning advise and help available in an easy to follow path. Allow employees to leave work early every Friday (when I was there). Appreciate people with initiative awarding their hard work and are willing to truly consider new ideas to processes, etc.

ConsNot a lot of flexibility about work hours or leaving for a period when all work is complete even while on salary. When starting a new area with a new skill set the individual can sometimes feel left to their own devices and not be able to readily find help to proceed with task. Location access is just off of Hwy 280, which has intense rush hour traffic.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is great that individuals are given the opportunity to work on new skill sets, therefore advancing their careers, but it would be good to make sure resources are readily available to assist them with the challenges experienced when working expanding their skill set.

Worked for Protective Life? Contribute to the Community!