Proteus Digital Health Reviews

3.5
Proteus Digital Health Co-Founder & CEO Andrew M. Thompson
Andrew M. Thompson

1. Featured Review

Great learning experience, welcoming work environment

I have been working at Proteus Digital Health as an intern

Pros

Proteus is a fast-growing company in a fast-paced industry with an amazing work culture.I haven't worked at a company before where people have been so friendly and welcoming, on top of that incredibly smart.
    I have the impression that a lot is being done to keep employees motivated and everyone is very hard-working and committed to their work. It's an inspirational place to come to work to every day.

A designated internship program exists, in which activities had been planned on a regular basis and the People Team made sure interns are getting to know each other from day one. The whole program was well-rounded from start to finish. Interns came from all over the US and from different countries and connecting with each other was made very easy.
    I feel very appreciated as an intern at Proteus and am granted a lot of independence. I have weekly meetings with my manager during which I can discuss anything that's on my mind.
    Everyone is very supportive and helpful, also outside of work. For instance, I don't have a car and people offer to give me a ride. Its a very friendly place to work.

Meetings with company executives had been scheduled and interns were able to ask questions and get advice from for example the CEO.
    All interns were given a schedule for their time at Proteus with all event dates and interns were also invited to the all company summer party.

Cons

Since the company is growing really fast, there are still a few changes that are being implemented. For instance, I would appreciate the organization of a company shuttle from different locations but I've been told that this is being planned for.

Exciting and special place to work

I have been working at Proteus Digital Health as an intern

Pros

Proteus is a fast-paced company with many creative thinkers. Everybody has been extremely kind and welcoming with any questions I had. Even as an intern, I was able to work alongside seasoned engineers. I was able to acquire more than just engineering skills; seeing how their veteran management staff handles their day-to-day business was incredibly valuable. Everyone there has a passion for what they do and for the greater product because they understand they have a realistic opportunity at changing healthcare.

Cons

I think having two company locations, one in Hayward and the other in Redwood City, sort of divides the company a bit. It doesn't have a negative impact, but for a company that stresses the importance of a close-knit staff, it seems a bit strange.

Try to expand in-house rather than contract so much work out.

Heavy on internal and external campaigning, light on employee appreciation or experienced leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Proteus Digital Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Gregarious, positive CEO. Many ambitious people. Great Redwood City location. Technology is attempting to break new ground in the grey area between pharmaceuticals and biotech.

Cons

Pay is medicore, there is no bonus structure, no 401K matching, ungenerous PTO, paltry raises, long and often stressful hours, and wide-open seating where people must wear headphones or earplugs if they don't want to be distracted by nearby conversations. With such little to offer as tangible incentive, Proteus offers some small stock option grants and boasts they'll be a multi-billion dollar company one day. Meanwhile, they're a long way from being in the black as their ingestible sensor product, or more like product concept, continues to change shape, has little clinical data behind it, is expensive to make, clumsy to use, and is fraught with technical challenges.

Management core is comprised of a close-knit, almost fraternal group of individuals that have been working at Proteus for several years to a decade. Few have any real experience outside of this perpetual startup environment. As the company grows, this shows up in lack of appreciation for outsiders, impersonal people managers, chaotic timelines, fear of change, wasted resources, and junior-level mistakes by high-level individuals.

Internal evangelism and self-promotion is high, almost cultish: large TV screens throughout showing barbara walters style interviews of managers on continuous playback, company-wide emails celebrating the latest recipient of the obligatory weekly award and the ensuing chain of reply-all hoorays, frequent all hands meetings with managers declaring their love for the company or hamming it up on stage to a spectacle of video and dj music, holiday parties that serve more as a formal stage for propaganda speeches than as an enjoyable time for employees to get to know each other, and walls decorated with founder slogans and catch phrases.

While the concept of an ingestible sensor is cutting edge, the manufacturing process is anything but. The sensor is basically just a small microchip. The process to make it is very similar to any other traditional silicon-chip industry of the last 20 years except with the added bureaucracy of FDA regulation.

Another big part of the business focuses on data-trending, patient monitoring software applications for mobile devices. Mildly interesting, but many would rather be programming games, line of business apps, or social media apps. And again, there is the documentation-heavy overhead of FDA regulation.

There are a few good, very capable senior-level executives. They should spend more time looking at the internal details of the business and examining the management structure and less time trying to sell, sell, sell. Choose managers because of their experience, communication skills, and ability to motivate and appreciate others. Do not choose them for their zeal to be a manager, the fact that they have a PhD, or that they've been at the company for 10 years. Realize that this is silicon valley, one of the largest talent pools in the nation, and with many options available to good people. You will not attract talent with a chaotic, bureaucratic business and little to offer except a haughty attitude.

Also, flatten the management hierarchy. There's far too many manager/director/VP types with just a few reports, and not enough key performers in critical areas. The business needs skilled/experienced accountants, engineers, IT support, QA personnel, project managers, and operations leaders.

Not everyone wants to be rich. That carrot of hope dangling at the end of the stick only works for so long, and often attracts the wrong ego-driven individuals. Some just want to enjoy their work, build rapport with coworkers, solve meaningful problems, feel like they've accomplished something at the end of the day, and have a work-life balance.

Fun place to work but typical of biotech and pharma companies

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Proteus Digital Health as a contractor

Pros

Very fun place to work. Cutting-edge technology, fast expansion, poised for success, very optimistic and engaged upper management. Very young culture -- lots of fresh college grads and interns are always around. The company has really matured in the past few years and started focusing on key projects, putting aside research into new ventures and focusing on a well-defined use case.

For an engineering company, the work-life balance and flexibility is great. There's plenty of work to do, so your scope is really limited only by your ambition.

Cons

The company claims to value judgment, integrity, etc. But what a company REALLY values is reflected by who gets promoted, converted, or let go.

Like most bio and pharma companies, workers are considered disposable. Lots of contractors and turnover. Lately (Q4 2014-Q1 2015), a tear of layoffs across engineering and operations. No bonuses, no stock option grants, and minimal raises in 2014. The money appears to be going to office renovations instead. No investment in personal growth. They'll keep younger workers on as "interns" for extended durations rather than convert them to FTEs.

There's a Hayward manufacturing plant that plays second fiddle to the main office. Moreover, departments are very silo'ed and have very little interaction between people, which is frustrating for a technology platform that should be very interdisciplinary.

Recognition is in the form of a weekly "Golden Boot" that mostly goes to visible projects; it's highly political, somewhat meaningless, and it goes between the same few teams (and only at the corporate office) all the time. There is no equivalent at Hayward.

Unfortunately, I don't feel like part of the "family." Fast expansion and high turnover have eroded company culture and sense of job security.

There's no org chart. This is cute for a startup, but Proteus is over a decade old. It's just silly at this point, and it alienates departments from each other. One hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

Proteus hires badly. Very, very badly. This is evidenced by layoffs amidst a hiring spree. Let go long-time employees and then rehire instead of retraining. Define what you need and hire to that. Do you need quality workers or do you need cogs for a machine? Recent patterns suggest the latter.

The company will be very successful as a business as it marches toward IPO. Oddly enough, it speaks a lot about being successful as an organization, as a family, and as a place to work, but it invests very little into its employees and seems to say those things entirely as lip service. Don't just revolutionize medicine - revolutionize the industry and the way it recognizes its workers!

Cutting Edge Company to work for, but crazy workload

I have been working at Proteus Digital Health

Pros

Its definitely worth the experience to work for this up and coming medical device company, from the relaxed environment to the fully stocked kitchen, to learning and contributing to such a unique concept of medicine, one cant complain.

Cons

First, upper management has got a bit more learning to do. Second, my department needs to grow asap. The over flowing work load and level of expected responsibility does not at all translate in the salary.

Best in class

Former Employee - Senior R&D Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior R&D Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Proteus Digital Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best and the brightest people work here. Whatever creativity you have will be magnified by exposure to the luminaries at this company. Teamwork is the key to everything they do. Still Pre-IPO, and rapidly marching in that direction. Culture is carefully groomed and they hire only those who play as a team. Conflict resolution is baked in.

Cons

Location in Redwood City can be a tough commute location.

Stay the course. This is the best management team I've ever worked for.

8. Fast-pace environment. Mission driven. Challenging and supportive culture.

I have been working at Proteus Digital Health

Pros

Creative, passionate, smart employees.
    Ambitious, high-growth company.
    Opportunities for people who want to contribute directly to the company and make an impact.

Cons

Need to be comfortable with change and uncertainty as a precursor to growth and evolution.

Keep communicating with your employees.

Chaos all the time

Former Employee - Facilities in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Facilities in Hayward, CA

I worked at Proteus Digital Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, Free snacks, soda and water. A recent remodel.

Cons

I worked in facilities which is a full-time job in itself. Management added HR responsibilities, not to mention an office move and remodel on top of that. I was doing the job of three different Departments. I lasted 8 months and buckled under the pressure. My Direct Manager was a bully. The Office was constantly in chaos mode.

HR is called Department of "People." In order to deserve a department title like that, you have to be more in tune with the "people."

10. They are at the forefront of innovation, and are an incredibly smart, committed team of people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Proteus Digital Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Full of smart, conscientious people

Cons

Being at the forefront of technology, there's a lot of uncertainty which can be demoralizing at times.

Yet to grow up.

I have been working at Proteus Digital Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Super smart people, informal, fun place to work. Cutting edge technology to work with. Senior management is great at raising money.

Cons

The company is yet to grow up. We've been around for 12 years and haven't had a single product in the market or a dollar in revenue. We've lost every partner we've had so far, and that includes some really big names, because we haven't delivered a fully working solution to anybody.

Pick a path and stick to it. Changing direction every 2 months will get us nowhere. Reacting to market forces is one thing, but when the chaos is generated internally by poor managers, it is a different thing. Finding a scapegoat every time something goes wrong will get us nowhere either. Also, think about why I am providing feedback via glassdoor rather than directly to you.

Proteus Digital Health Photos