Proteus Digital Health

Andrew M. Thompson

First four years excellent.....then crap prompted by Intel invasion :(

Former Employee - Engineer in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Hayward, CA

I worked at Proteus Digital Health as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Leading edge technology and excellent CEO and CTO

Cons

Poor mid level management ....Intel takeover that prompted poor work environment .

terminate Terry Jackson! Ben needs a spanking!

Cutting Edge Company to work for, but crazy workload

I have been working at Proteus Digital Health

Pros

Its definitely worth the experience to work for this up and coming medical device company, from the relaxed environment to the fully stocked kitchen, to learning and contributing to such a unique concept of medicine, one cant complain.

Cons

First, upper management has got a bit more learning to do. Second, my department needs to grow asap. The over flowing work load and level of expected responsibility does not at all translate in the salary.

Exciting and special place to work

I have been working at Proteus Digital Health as an intern

Pros

Proteus is a fast-paced company with many creative thinkers. Everybody has been extremely kind and welcoming with any questions I had. Even as an intern, I was able to work alongside seasoned engineers. I was able to acquire more than just engineering skills; seeing how their veteran management staff handles their day-to-day business was incredibly valuable. Everyone there has a passion for what they do and for the greater product because they understand they have a realistic opportunity at changing healthcare.

Cons

I think having two company locations, one in Hayward and the other in Redwood City, sort of divides the company a bit. It doesn't have a negative impact, but for a company that stresses the importance of a close-knit staff, it seems a bit strange.

Try to expand in-house rather than contract so much work out.

Best in class

Former Employee - Senior R&D Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior R&D Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Proteus Digital Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best and the brightest people work here. Whatever creativity you have will be magnified by exposure to the luminaries at this company. Teamwork is the key to everything they do. Still Pre-IPO, and rapidly marching in that direction. Culture is carefully groomed and they hire only those who play as a team. Conflict resolution is baked in.

Cons

Location in Redwood City can be a tough commute location.

Stay the course. This is the best management team I've ever worked for.

Great learning experience, welcoming work environment

I have been working at Proteus Digital Health as an intern

Pros

Proteus is a fast-growing company in a fast-paced industry with an amazing work culture.I haven't worked at a company before where people have been so friendly and welcoming, on top of that incredibly smart.
    I have the impression that a lot is being done to keep employees motivated and everyone is very hard-working and committed to their work. It's an inspirational place to come to work to every day.

A designated internship program exists, in which activities had been planned on a regular basis and the People Team made sure interns are getting to know each other from day one. The whole program was well-rounded from start to finish. Interns came from all over the US and from different countries and connecting with each other was made very easy.
    I feel very appreciated as an intern at Proteus and am granted a lot of independence. I have weekly meetings with my manager during which I can discuss anything that's on my mind.
    Everyone is very supportive and helpful, also outside of work. For instance, I don't have a car and people offer to give me a ride. Its a very friendly place to work.

Meetings with company executives had been scheduled and interns were able to ask questions and get advice from for example the CEO.
    All interns were given a schedule for their time at Proteus with all event dates and interns were also invited to the all company summer party.

Cons

Since the company is growing really fast, there are still a few changes that are being implemented. For instance, I would appreciate the organization of a company shuttle from different locations but I've been told that this is being planned for.

Great technology with lots of potential; odd company culture

I worked at Proteus Digital Health as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Technology is very exciting and poised to break out into a huge market. I was excited to develop numerous small projects with them. Lots of resources, bright people, and enthusiastic workers.

Cons

Company lacks overall vision and is constantly changing from one big initiative to another without properly closing anything down. Has a very ADD feel with "new, exciting project!" being announced but no communication downwards that old project has fizzled. As a result, the only time projects really have good pressure on them is at the beginning stage.

Company culture is also very odd and clique-ish; I haven't seen the "beautiful, popular" crowd since I left high school. People in their own clique are not friendly to others, including smiling in the hallway, chatting at lunch, whatever. Very odd for such a small company with flat heirarchy. Proteus also has a tendency to hire a lot of contract / temp workers, even in engineering, which is confusing and demoralizing. No assurances of long-term security.

Also, due to exponential expansion recently, everyone is doubled or tripled up into cubes. No space at all.

Get a clear vision, with clearly defined dates and milestones, and start executing to it. Get some rigor in the development program. Dates are fuzzy, deadlines are suggestions, and projects are wishes right now. You have so much potential and it hasn't materialized yet.

Fast-pace environment. Mission driven. Challenging and supportive culture.

I have been working at Proteus Digital Health

Pros

Creative, passionate, smart employees.
    Ambitious, high-growth company.
    Opportunities for people who want to contribute directly to the company and make an impact.

Cons

Need to be comfortable with change and uncertainty as a precursor to growth and evolution.

Keep communicating with your employees.

Chaos all the time

Former Employee - Facilities in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Facilities in Hayward, CA

I worked at Proteus Digital Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, Free snacks, soda and water. A recent remodel.

Cons

I worked in facilities which is a full-time job in itself. Management added HR responsibilities, not to mention an office move and remodel on top of that. I was doing the job of three different Departments. I lasted 8 months and buckled under the pressure. My Direct Manager was a bully. The Office was constantly in chaos mode.

HR is called Department of "People." In order to deserve a department title like that, you have to be more in tune with the "people."

They are at the forefront of innovation, and are an incredibly smart, committed team of people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Proteus Digital Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Full of smart, conscientious people

Cons

Being at the forefront of technology, there's a lot of uncertainty which can be demoralizing at times.

Yet to grow up.

I have been working at Proteus Digital Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Super smart people, informal, fun place to work. Cutting edge technology to work with. Senior management is great at raising money.

Cons

The company is yet to grow up. We've been around for 12 years and haven't had a single product in the market or a dollar in revenue. We've lost every partner we've had so far, and that includes some really big names, because we haven't delivered a fully working solution to anybody.

Pick a path and stick to it. Changing direction every 2 months will get us nowhere. Reacting to market forces is one thing, but when the chaos is generated internally by poor managers, it is a different thing. Finding a scapegoat every time something goes wrong will get us nowhere either. Also, think about why I am providing feedback via glassdoor rather than directly to you.

Proteus Digital Health Photos