Proteus Technologies

Updated Jan 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Teresa M. Taylor

Good pay, highly talented employees, but very cost conscious

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe company employs some of the smartest people in the industry.
The pay and benefits are generally very good.
Most of the work is very interesting and important.
The senior executives are generally very approachable and do what they can to look out for employees.
Hours worked per week are generally restricted by contract, so excessive hours are extraordinary rare.
Hours are flexible.

ConsIt is a relatively small company that is almost exclusively involved in government contracting, so billable hours are paramount. If the government closes (due to weather, the ineptitude of Congress, etc.), expect to have it counted against your vacation time (or, if you've run out of that, leave without pay).
Although the company touts its professional development benefits, it is sometimes difficult/impossible to get approval to go to conferences, especially in times of government uncertainty.
Be ready to get yanked around between contracts on the whims of the business development staff, with little say other than the general type of work you'll be doing.
Most work takes place at government facilities or facilities owned by other contractors, so you may have only limited contract with fellow employees.
Many contracts involve maintaining obsolete and poorly designed software unopened by other contractors.

Advice to Senior ManagementA more serious effort toward promoting development of skills (rather than just pursuing things that look good on a resume attached to a contract proposal) should be made. This could be coupled with an effort to promote new technologies among customer.
Offloading all risk associated with work site closures onto employees may keep overhead costs down, but it severely impacts morale.

Great company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Proteus Technologies

ProsCutting edge technology and working in very important assignments vital to defense and the Nation.

ConsVery few negatives, other than their contracts and rates are dependent on the Government and associated cutbacks.

Smart people but at the end their bottom line is paramount.

Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee)

I worked at Proteus Technologies full-time

ProsProteus hired some of the top talent in the industry. You could be pretty confident that others in the company are smart and bright. They offer a very handsome compensation and benefits package. The onsite gym and cafe is a plus as well.

ConsAt the end of the day their bottom line is paramount. If you are on the bench or cannot find a project in a short amount of time you can pretty much say bye bye. This is typical of most smallish consulting firms. They really don't have a bench policy so to say. Maybe they would have a bench policy had they not had three full time recruiters for such a small company in addition to the high overhead of the office space they currently occupy.

Also, transparency is totally non-existent. If someone is fired, terminated, or leaves there is not a word about it. This is particularly disappointing considering the fact that it is such a small company. I think its worse to hear that someone was let go or left through the grapevine than to have an announcement about it.

Lastly, since it is a small company you will not really get to work with your bright co-workers because most likely you'll be placed on a project where you are the only Proteus employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be more transparent. Institute some type of bench policy. Get rid of sick leave and lump it into regular leave.

A great company

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Jessup, MD

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time for more than a year

ProsThe managers are very honest, the company as a whole is interested in their employees' well-being, the company is stable financially, and open communication is encouraged and achieved through regular all-hands meetings and easy access to managers and directors. I like the small-company feel, even though they are a mid-size company; I feel like I can access everyone from peers to the CEO.

ConsNothing blatant comes to mind. They are not a massive company, so they do not have some of the benefits found at big companies (like elaborate parties or renting out a movie theater).

Advice to Senior ManagementI like our informal events, like game night and cookouts.

Short-timer, but so far, so good. Great opportunities, lots of contracts and positions, and lots of training available.

Junior Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)
Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time for less than a year

ProsOnly been at the company for 6 months, but received training as soon as I started. The employees seem to have a great bond with one another, especially ones that have been there awhile; it is an encouraging environment with many talented engineers. The management has engaged with us in "Town Hall" meetings, which are held quarterly, they just started a mentorship pilot program for the employees, and we just recently won a prime contract. The All Hands at the end of last year was very informative (a little lengthy), but management really communicated where we are as a company and how we are doing financially, and the business opportunities we are chasing.

ConsIt is difficult to connect with other employees at Proteus when we are placed on a contract by ourselves. Some of the contracts only have 1 or 2 Proteus employees working on them, so that is disappointing since I am in that position right now.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust keep the lines of communication open and help us to win more prime contracts.

Not Nearly As Bad As Other Reviews Make It Seem

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros- The people (other engineers and front office staff)
- Medical/Dental benefits
- $14k for training and college
- On site, high quality gym (not talking a couple of machines and a treadmill here)
- Flex hours, pays for overtime hours (contract permitting)
- Plenty of company events/gatherings
- Fantastic process for keeping employees off the bench and on site during contract changes

Cons- Woefully inadequate communication to employees from upper management (historically)
- Will not pay you as much as a company that's running out of someone's garage

Advice to Senior ManagementOne of the issues with anonymous sites like this is disgruntled former employees can take their frustrations out on a company; while current, happy employees have little-to-no incentive to post feedback. I've been with Proteus for about two years now, and while there have been some serious hiccups in it's recent history it's a small enough company to be able to implement changes and fix issues quickly - and this is exactly what they have been doing for some time now. Some of the issues that have been pointed out here WERE valid, some are serious exaggerations; but many of them have been addressed. An example of this is the company is getting significantly better at communicating and listening to it's technical staff (quarterly town halls and drastically more informative all-hands meetings), and it's really leaning on the employee advocacy group for ideas on how to improve, and acting on them.

I personally believe it's obvious that Proteus is trying to listen to our feedback and improve things, even though it's very easy to be overly negative. We have, as far as I can tell, industry leading benefits. I realize this is of little benefit if you're looking to squeeze every last dollar you can out of your time, but it's an important consideration for some people. Realistically, we're all billed at about the same rate on these contracts, so it's just a matter of finding what balance of benefits/pay is right for you. I like the balance here... you may see it has bloated overhead (in which case this is not the company for you).

I will say we hire high quality engineers and the core group we have here is great. There are plenty of social events to bond with your colleagues (soccer team, happy hours, Run for Your Lives) and I consider many of the people I work with good friends. All things considered, this is a company that is doing the absolute best it can to maintain it's identity in an industry that is extremely competitive and starved for talent/numbers (if you work in this industry, you know exactly what I mean).

That said, I do want to address one particularly ridiculous claim that was made below - "Not an ideal place for females wanting to advance in their career." This could not be further from the truth, and I have no idea where this accusation could even be coming from. The owner of the company is a female, and the primary manager overseeing all of Proteus' IC contracts is a female who started off as an engineer and has worked her way up. I will say that this company is an equally unideal place to "advance your career" for both males and females, depending on what your definition of career advancement is I suppose. By that I mean, if you're looking to chase titles you won't find it here - it's a relatively flat company structure; but if you want to become a better engineer by surrounding yourselves with other fantastic engineers, this is a perfect environment to do that.

Great atmosphere for technical career development and some of the best benefits in the industry

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Best Medical benefits I have seen in industry
-Best Career Development benefits I have seen in industry ($14K college/training almost always approved within a few days, $200 book allowance, Monthly Tech Talks, Outstanding Mentor-Protege Program, User Group Sponsorship, easy lateral project movement via employee friendly staffing board)
-Great team atmosphere with a variety of company events to suit all situations
-Some of the best engineers in the industry
-Top-of-the line gym
-Flex hours
-Technical staff performs the interviews, choosing people they want to work with
-Employee advocacy group
I also want to refute the claim(s) against female advancement. I am a female in the company and I have been given a lot of opportunities with the company to grow my skills and advance.

Cons-If you are not willing to invest time into your career development, the company takes a hard stance on that. The company favors those who invest time into their own development (seriously, you can't beat the career development benefits so why not invest in your own self), versus those who want something for nothing. There are a few engineers that recently left who wanted to make big bucks without making a personal investment.
-Even though it's a relatively flat organization, sometimes there is a lack of communication downward (though it's getting better)

Advice to Senior Management-Continue to improve communication
-Take more risks. Invest earlier and get out of bad investments earlier. If you have a good leadership staff, most will investments will pan out and some won't.

A Frank Woof's Eye View of Proteus

Senior Member Tech Staff (Current Employee)

ProsSincere leadership
Hardworking Backroom support obtaining new contract positions
Immediate support via phone or email for offsite employees
Trust in their employees to succeed with their customers independently of direct management
Good pay and benefits and a support staff improving these when ever possible
A continual process of improvement supporting employees including paid training, certification, education
Sustained support of customer needs recognized by upper management
A real open door access to all levels of management, and there is real interest in what you have to say, because their interests also lay where the employees interests are.

ConsOnly 4% 401k match. Some garage shoppes pay up to 20%, but of course, there is a cost... lack of new work when your contract runs out because there is no 'overhead' in the back room supporting the employee.
Most work is 'on site' at a customer location. I prefer offsite myself, but some employees feel isolated when not in the same building as their leadership but this is a major portion of the business model of this company. I feel this is a matter of maturity on the part of newer employees that need some 'introduction' to how the real world outside the college lab really works. In many, many ways, what some express as a 'con' in this regard, I see as the greatest 'pro' for the individual that you can obtain in the world 'for free'.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have found management engaging with all employees from the newest hire to the most senior. I suggest this continue, and continue the culture of openness. Communication, direct, and clear is a strong point with this company, and it grows, it must continue with everyone (I certainly try to do my part as does my direct management line). When employees do not express their feelings, concerns or fears, the natural human tendency is to commit to fight or flight. Individuals always have their own expectations for any employment, any compensation for that employment, and what they are to contribute. Age of an employee is not a factor but the drive of the employee is. Maturity is not a matter of age, but a matter of that drive to be successful. Money alone is not always a measure of success as much as what an employee accomplishes for themselves. Management that leads and trusts the employee to grow is a synergy of the two, and I see that in this company in the areas I work. Employees have a strong drive to succeed in meeting the mission that this company's customer has, and it is demanding, it is hard work, it is very important and when you go home at night, the final evaluation will often reveal that the individual made an actual difference to the nation.

Encouragement to have that kind of success in an employees life and career will continue with this company as it grows, else like other companies it will fade. Management is very aware of this, as they came up this hard progressive line of working hard and often long hours to be personally successful in establishing this company. As new leadership moves up the line, I should like to continue to see this philosophy be instilled in that growth as well. And I see in the coming work and contracts that are on the immediate horizon just those opportunities.

A companies best employees do not often start out that way... they become that way though leadership and opportunity to learn and excel.

Thank you for your time reading.... and watch TOP GEAR when ever possible :-)

An Honest Review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Proteus Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMade a couple good friends

ConsWhere to begin:
1. Upper Management (Too top heavy, Dictatorship mgmt, Zero communication, Seems as though no one has an interest in helping you to broaden or improve your career path: every man for himself, Blatant favoritism (in action, salary, work load), Lots of secrets. It is probably just easier to say that upper management has nothing going on for it with the exception of all of its underlings that make the company "go".
2. Work/Life balance (Owner belief is that you should have the exact same investment in his company's success as he does...at any cost. Expect to work on weekends, major holidays, after hours, whenever you are told you must)
3. Advancement: If you aren't best friends with the owner, don't plan on going anywhere. Pretty much the only people seeing market rate increases in salary and title were friends with "C Level" employees. If you aren't ready to bleed Proteus, at any expense, you need not apply. That goes for admin and technical positions.
4. Serious Lack of Female Leadership: There are already a few reviews addressing this. The dead honest truth is that, as a former female employee, there is not one female to follow after or emulate at this company. The one female in high standing is merely a figure head, helping the company to gain "woman-owned" status. Females who have taken on leadership roles haven't lasted long, as this is your typical "boys club". Women there get hired to look pretty and make copies. It would have been nice to have female leadership guidance while working there.
5. Salary: You don't get what you deserve for the amount of work you are expected to churn out (this is based on several conversations with both admin and technical employees), nor what the market is offering. You get what is left over after the company has paid for it's (company owned) plane, beach house, cars, and cafe.
6. Lack of professionalism: Expect to be berated regularly by the very top of management, no matter how hard you try at your job. Also, comments to female employees are grossly inappropriate. Most people here are afraid of ownership and that's exactly how ownership likes it. If you don't want to be anxious going to work everyday, not knowing what kind of mood ownership may be in, pass on applying.
7. Duty to the Job: Have you ever worked at a company that MAKES you attend social events and gatherings? Attending work functions is part of your review process to get a raise at Proteus. No matter how far away you live, how severe the weather is, or whatever else you have going on in your life, you better be at that Holiday party, or no raise for you!
8. Reputation: If you're thinking of applying here, ask around the IC and you will soon find that this is not a place you want to be. After I left, I had peers reaching out to me from major gov't contractors, asking me why I waited so long, asking how I lasted as long as I did, and congratulating me for ridding myself of the "Proteus" name. Even just being associated with the name has proved to be embarrassing on may accounts.
9. Current Status: It is well known in IC that Proteus has taken a recent financial and business tumble. Contracts are scarce, as are employees, money, and morale. Past "perks' I've heard are no longer around, due to the company's poor financial position (summer picnic was held in the company parking lot, as opposed to being a full catered off site event).
10. Last but not least: CT: Someone mentioned that leadership is "despotic'. That is putting it nicely. If you value your work environment, ownership, your sanity, self respect, and have figured out that you can have it all in a job, skip this place at all costs. Personality disorders, anger issues, power trips....are all running rampant here. Skip it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop writing fake reviews to make the company look good.

A company with so much potential, yet falls so short

Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee)

I worked at Proteus Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent benefits that are hard to beat in the IC.
Brilliant engineers

ConsLow salaries for industry.
Too much red tape on executive side and over analysis instead of action.
Not an ideal place for females wanting to advance in their career.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of your own way and stop with the analysis paralysis. You need to take action instead of creating tiger teams that take months to solve anything. Learn to value those who are loyal and really listen to your employees. Employee advocacy groups are only effective when you take their suggestions and make them reality.
Put some innovative and energetic leadership in place who can identify with and inspire your technical talent. What you have now is not working.

Worked for Proteus Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Proteus Technologies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Proteus Technologies CEO Teresa M. Taylor. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Proteus Technologies employees.