Proteus Technologies

Updated July 31, 2014
Updated July 31, 2014

2.8

Teresa M. Taylor

Good pay, highly talented employees, but very cost conscious

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company employs some of the smartest people in the industry.
    The pay and benefits are generally very good.
    Most of the work is very interesting and important.
    The senior executives are generally very approachable and do what they can to look out for employees.
    Hours worked per week are generally restricted by contract, so excessive hours are extraordinary rare.
    Hours are flexible.

Cons

It is a relatively small company that is almost exclusively involved in government contracting, so billable hours are paramount. If the government closes (due to weather, the ineptitude of Congress, etc.), expect to have it counted against your vacation time (or, if you've run out of that, leave without pay).
    Although the company touts its professional development benefits, it is sometimes difficult/impossible to get approval to go to conferences, especially in times of government uncertainty.
    Be ready to get yanked around between contracts on the whims of the business development staff, with little say other than the general type of work you'll be doing.
    Most work takes place at government facilities or facilities owned by other contractors, so you may have only limited contract with fellow employees.
    Many contracts involve maintaining obsolete and poorly designed software unopened by other contractors.

A more serious effort toward promoting development of skills (rather than just pursuing things that look good on a resume attached to a contract proposal) should be made. This could be coupled with an effort to promote new technologies among customer.
    Offloading all risk associated with work site closures onto employees may keep overhead costs down, but it severely impacts morale.

Life is so much better!

I worked at Proteus Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Looking back now -- no pros to working there compared to the company I work for now!

Cons

CEO - Female -- just in place to get woman owned government contracts
    President -- still a horse's behind
    CFO - will do whatever CEO and/or President say regardless if it's ethical or not
    Salaries for upper management (from Controller up to CEO) are over inflated and are the great majority of the top heaviness of the companies financials

Sell the company to someone who really gives a crap about their employees!

Selfish/demanding owner pushing his company down hill fast!

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent health, dental, vision, and vacation benefits.

Cons

Very poor management, Senior Leadership team has their hands tied because the owner will not allow them to do their jobs. He runs the company on his crazy whims and every changing demands with no consistency or concern for the negative impact he is causing. Benefits are being cut...they advertise $14k in tuition reimbursement but VERY rarely ever approve reimbursement requests, supplies are always out of stock, and IT goes around 'stealing' from one office or another because they are not allowed to purchase what is needed. Employees are treated as expendable and easily replaced. If you are a team lead or program manager, expect to work 70+ hours a week. The owner pro-ports that his company is work/life balance friendly, but if he wants something on a weekend, your vacation day, or 10pm....you better provide it ASAP. You always feel like you have to look behind your back because nothing is transparent and there is always an undercurrent of problems behind the scenes. I was 'asked' to switch from a successful project that I loved to one I had no interested in or desire to be on.....the request was not really a 'request' but an informational meeting telling me of the change. No viable reason was given for the change. Their two prime contracts were won at such a low rate, they are having trouble staffing them with qualified people. They used to hire the best and brightest, now it's the most affordable. Totally negative atmosphere. It is very difficult to watch competent and caring team leads and program managers pushed to the point of breaking and shunned when they attempt to stand up for their staff.

The only appropriate advice to improve this company is for the owner to back out and let his excellent Sr. Leadership Team run the company for him.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK, if you have no interaction with the owner.

I worked at Proteus Technologies

Pros

Overall, the employees and senior leadership team are great people to work with. Benefits are great. Contracts have interesting mission work. I enjoyed the contract I was on!

Cons

The owner is a micro manager who doesn't know what he wants and changes his mind on a dime. He creates an atmosphere of fear and thinks he's just pushing people to do better. You never know what you are going to get with him from day to day. If you don't do exactly what he wants, he'll find a way to get back at you. His wife is the co-owner, but she has no real say in the company. The positive reviews you see are from people who do not need to have interaction with the owner. Anyone on the project he leads, a PM, or corporate staff...beware!

Pray that the company gets sold. It would have so much potential if the owner were out of the picture.

Smart people but at the end their bottom line is paramount.

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff  in  Annapolis Junction, MD
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD

I worked at Proteus Technologies full-time

Pros

Proteus hired some of the top talent in the industry. You could be pretty confident that others in the company are smart and bright. They offer a very handsome compensation and benefits package. The onsite gym and cafe is a plus as well.

Cons

At the end of the day their bottom line is paramount. If you are on the bench or cannot find a project in a short amount of time you can pretty much say bye bye. This is typical of most smallish consulting firms. They really don't have a bench policy so to say. Maybe they would have a bench policy had they not had three full time recruiters for such a small company in addition to the high overhead of the office space they currently occupy.

Also, transparency is totally non-existent. If someone is fired, terminated, or leaves there is not a word about it. This is particularly disappointing considering the fact that it is such a small company. I think its worse to hear that someone was let go or left through the grapevine than to have an announcement about it.

Lastly, since it is a small company you will not really get to work with your bright co-workers because most likely you'll be placed on a project where you are the only Proteus employee.

Please be more transparent. Institute some type of bench policy. Get rid of sick leave and lump it into regular leave.

Great company to work for

I worked at Proteus Technologies

Pros

Cutting edge technology and working in very important assignments vital to defense and the Nation.

Cons

Very few negatives, other than their contracts and rates are dependent on the Government and associated cutbacks.

A great company

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Jessup, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Jessup, MD

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

The managers are very honest, the company as a whole is interested in their employees' well-being, the company is stable financially, and open communication is encouraged and achieved through regular all-hands meetings and easy access to managers and directors. I like the small-company feel, even though they are a mid-size company; I feel like I can access everyone from peers to the CEO.

Cons

Nothing blatant comes to mind. They are not a massive company, so they do not have some of the benefits found at big companies (like elaborate parties or renting out a movie theater).

I like our informal events, like game night and cookouts.

Short-timer, but so far, so good. Great opportunities, lots of contracts and positions, and lots of training available.

Current Employee - Junior Member of Technical Staff  in  Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Junior Member of Technical Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Only been at the company for 6 months, but received training as soon as I started. The employees seem to have a great bond with one another, especially ones that have been there awhile; it is an encouraging environment with many talented engineers. The management has engaged with us in "Town Hall" meetings, which are held quarterly, they just started a mentorship pilot program for the employees, and we just recently won a prime contract. The All Hands at the end of last year was very informative (a little lengthy), but management really communicated where we are as a company and how we are doing financially, and the business opportunities we are chasing.

Cons

It is difficult to connect with other employees at Proteus when we are placed on a contract by ourselves. Some of the contracts only have 1 or 2 Proteus employees working on them, so that is disappointing since I am in that position right now.

Just keep the lines of communication open and help us to win more prime contracts.

Not Nearly As Bad As Other Reviews Make It Seem

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff  in  Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The people (other engineers and front office staff)
    - Medical/Dental benefits
    - $14k for training and college
    - On site, high quality gym (not talking a couple of machines and a treadmill here)
    - Flex hours, pays for overtime hours (contract permitting)
    - Plenty of company events/gatherings
    - Fantastic process for keeping employees off the bench and on site during contract changes

Cons

- Woefully inadequate communication to employees from upper management (historically)
    - Will not pay you as much as a company that's running out of someone's garage

One of the issues with anonymous sites like this is disgruntled former employees can take their frustrations out on a company; while current, happy employees have little-to-no incentive to post feedback. I've been with Proteus for about two years now, and while there have been some serious hiccups in it's recent history it's a small enough company to be able to implement changes and fix issues quickly - and this is exactly what they have been doing for some time now. Some of the issues that have been pointed out here WERE valid, some are serious exaggerations; but many of them have been addressed. An example of this is the company is getting significantly better at communicating and listening to it's technical staff (quarterly town halls and drastically more informative all-hands meetings), and it's really leaning on the employee advocacy group for ideas on how to improve, and acting on them.

I personally believe it's obvious that Proteus is trying to listen to our feedback and improve things, even though it's very easy to be overly negative. We have, as far as I can tell, industry leading benefits. I realize this is of little benefit if you're looking to squeeze every last dollar you can out of your time, but it's an important consideration for some people. Realistically, we're all billed at about the same rate on these contracts, so it's just a matter of finding what balance of benefits/pay is right for you. I like the balance here... you may see it has bloated overhead (in which case this is not the company for you).

I will say we hire high quality engineers and the core group we have here is great. There are plenty of social events to bond with your colleagues (soccer team, happy hours, Run for Your Lives) and I consider many of the people I work with good friends. All things considered, this is a company that is doing the absolute best it can to maintain it's identity in an industry that is extremely competitive and starved for talent/numbers (if you work in this industry, you know exactly what I mean).

That said, I do want to address one particularly ridiculous claim that was made below - "Not an ideal place for females wanting to advance in their career." This could not be further from the truth, and I have no idea where this accusation could even be coming from. The owner of the company is a female, and the primary manager overseeing all of Proteus' IC contracts is a female who started off as an engineer and has worked her way up. I will say that this company is an equally unideal place to "advance your career" for both males and females, depending on what your definition of career advancement is I suppose. By that I mean, if you're looking to chase titles you won't find it here - it's a relatively flat company structure; but if you want to become a better engineer by surrounding yourselves with other fantastic engineers, this is a perfect environment to do that.

Great atmosphere for technical career development and some of the best benefits in the industry

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Best Medical benefits I have seen in industry
    -Best Career Development benefits I have seen in industry ($14K college/training almost always approved within a few days, $200 book allowance, Monthly Tech Talks, Outstanding Mentor-Protege Program, User Group Sponsorship, easy lateral project movement via employee friendly staffing board)
    -Great team atmosphere with a variety of company events to suit all situations
    -Some of the best engineers in the industry
    -Top-of-the line gym
    -Flex hours
    -Technical staff performs the interviews, choosing people they want to work with
    -Employee advocacy group
    I also want to refute the claim(s) against female advancement. I am a female in the company and I have been given a lot of opportunities with the company to grow my skills and advance.

Cons

-If you are not willing to invest time into your career development, the company takes a hard stance on that. The company favors those who invest time into their own development (seriously, you can't beat the career development benefits so why not invest in your own self), versus those who want something for nothing. There are a few engineers that recently left who wanted to make big bucks without making a personal investment.
    -Even though it's a relatively flat organization, sometimes there is a lack of communication downward (though it's getting better)

-Continue to improve communication
    -Take more risks. Invest earlier and get out of bad investments earlier. If you have a good leadership staff, most will investments will pan out and some won't.

Worked for Proteus Technologies? Contribute to the Community!