Protiviti

Updated August 22, 2014

3.7

Protiviti President and CEO Joseph A. Tarantino
Joseph A. Tarantino

Pros
  • Good work / life balance (40-45 hours / week is normal; lots of vacation days) (in 75 reviews)

• Great place to start a career or grow (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Recruiting promises not kept (work-life balance, limited travel if needed) (in 32 reviews)

• Pay is lower than Big 4 accounting firms, however you typically work 40-50 hours a week, much less than (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

53 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Working at Protiviti has increased my exposure to and knowledge of technologies and various business areas in IT.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Protiviti full-time

Pros

The Chicago office culture is great. Most individuals are in the office on Fridays allowing for good face time.
    Working at a consulting company of this size allows you to have visibility and interactions with all levels of management.
    Some roles will require you to travel quite a bit (if you like travelling).

Cons

Some roles will require you to travel quite a bit (if you dislike travelling).

Great experience for an intern looking to go into tech

Current Employee - Risk Technology Solutions  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Risk Technology Solutions in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Protiviti as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Culture is great, you get a chance to really discover yourself in the company, people are great. I enjoyed the clarity on the management ladder. You can really talk to the CEO and other people in the C-suite as an intern and I found that to be really powerful. Protiviti is a growing company and will undoubtedly continue for a while as they find niches in practices and gain more clients.

Cons

Sometimes, there isn't work to do. That may good for you to pick up on certification training but it comes with the industry so it is anticipated regardless of where you go to intern.

Try to promote the various practices during your challenges. From a tech intern standpoint, I found a lot of work to be geared towards internal audit interns. It helped me get the concepts but I hoped to get some more knowledge of what I was going to do, individually, for the company.

Impressive, Growing IT, Risk and Internal Audit Services Company

Current Employee - Senior Consultant I  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant I in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Protiviti full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been at Protiviti for half a year now, and I can tell you it is a great place to work. I joined as an experienced hire, and it was exactly what I was looking for when made my transition. It has this neat culture and feel where its a large company, with large company resources, yet it has a small company feel. You are very much empowered to find your own way, explore topics that interest you, and constantly be learning. To get the most out of it though, you need to dedicate yourself to two lines of work. Internal work you do for you office to better the company, and Client work.
    For Client work you will see a variety of projects, some will be out side the line of service you belong to, this may upset some, but I think its a great opportunity to learn. Managers and Directors with years of experience in the field are available to support you, and will go out of their way to ensure you can do the job. You will have to do an audit at some point, it is the core of the business. Travel amount varies per person and skill set, some are road warriors, some never leave the office, or get a client a block away.
    For internal work, you need to do it this is how you can get noticed and get ahead. Step up and spend sometime improving the company or office, and you get to the chance interact with top management. Is there a loose 'old boys' network? Sure, but its open to anyone to join. You just have to earn you way in.
    The office environment is great, and there are constant activities to partake in such as sport teams, runs, happy hours, golf outings, social causes, volunteer work, etc. Usually subsidized in part or all by the company.
    Work life balance is great, weekends are truly days off.

Cons

Its has matrix structure, so you'll never have a single defined boss. Instead there are influencers who have positions higher than you, that you need to report to or impressed. As well projects goals and deliverables can be vague and it comes down to you to impose structure and figure out how to complete the project and what the end result looks like.
    If you are looking some place where you do the same thing every day, or looking for a place that gives a lot of direction or structure, this isn't it. This is place is a learn as you go, figure it out during the project, learn while delivering place. And they back you up with all the resources you need to learn and complete the project. You just have to figure it out and ask for the tools.

Keep it up! You've done a great job until now.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice place to work if you interested in consulting, in the right career field or a college graduate.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Protiviti full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most of the leaders in the organization are very approachable and some are NOT.

Cons

The travel is definitely a challenge, especially if you have a family.

Great Training Opportunities for New Hires

I have been working at Protiviti full-time for less than a year

Pros

During the first few weeks of employment staff from all over the country come in to train all the new hires. You get a great opportunity to meet peers and higher-ups before you even start your first work engagement. In addition, right off the bat they put you in challenging situations to help your grow and learn.

Cons

There is a lot of knowledge that comes at your quickly and it can be difficult to get a full grasp on them in a short period of time.

Excellent place to start a career

I have been working at Protiviti full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, nice people, don't work as much as other consulting companies

Cons

Compensation is not as high as other big for consulting companies, normal consulting issues that people complain about but we all choose this lifestyle so no room for complaints

It is a good company to work for.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant II  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant II in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Protiviti full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart people. Good work life balance. Has a good structure in place for employee reviews.

Cons

Can definitely improve upon the benefits the company offers.

Keep up what you are doing.

Good for those starting out in their career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Protiviti full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Compensation is great for the business unit I've worked in.

Cons

Can be limited options as you try to move up the ladder.

Great place to work out of school

I have been working at Protiviti full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedules unless you have a lot of client work
    Relaxed work from home policy
    Great atmosphere, everyone is friendly and cool
    Good benefits and time off
    Good promotions

Cons

Sometimes long hours or weekends, but that is consulting. Even so management appreciates hard work and rewards employees
    There may be long periods of time where you are not on a project or you are on the same project for a while, but again that comes with the industry

Great people.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant II  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant II in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Protiviti full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People, work-life balance, senior management cares about each individual, not just a number.

Cons

Small firm with limited brand in the marketplace, IA focus

Consider moving towards a true consulting business strategy rather than loan staffed IA engagements

Worked for Protiviti? Contribute to the Community!