Protiviti

Protiviti Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Protiviti President and CEO Joseph A. Tarantino

Joseph A. Tarantino

Pros
  • Good work / life balance (40-45 hours / week is normal; lots of vacation days)(in 74 reviews)

• Nice place to start your career(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Recruiting promises not kept (work-life balance, limited travel if needed)(in 31 reviews)

• The company has a focus on consulting, but does alot of internal audit work(in 21 reviews)

Great place to grow and gain experience.

Consultant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsCareer progression timeline is approximately 2 years for first four levels. Protiviti is very flexible with your schedule, if you like to travel they will put you on clients that require travel. If you do not like traveling they will keep you on local clients. They try to put you in industries you request.

ConsPay is lower than Big 4 accounting firms, however you typically work 40-50 hours a week, much less than Big 4.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the bonus payments at lower levels.

It is probably like other consulting firms. Whatever project we sell is staffed first come first serve.

IT Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe people are the best part about Protiviti. Senior management seem like people who genuinely want the company to succeed.

ConsBudget for the most basic elements of the job is tight. Many elements of the business runs like a startup-which can be good and bad. The small budget is one of the downsides.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate incentives which are not based on firm performance for example, saving the company time and resources.

Great internship experience

Process Intern (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYoung people, good training, and interns are treated as an actual consultant would be. There are travel opportunities, and some great events planned every week for interns. Management is also very accessible.

ConsVery "frat-like" atmosphere, almost like being at college again. Also the scope of projects tends to be quite narrow, at least for the Risk and Compliance department, and you do a lot more Compliance than strategy work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mostly good

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsMost of the people are great. Very young in general. My department in Philadelphia was difficult to get promoted due to small size, but in general quick advancement was noticed.

ConsLots of travel. Again, varies by department. Rigid report style. No work at home ability when I was there.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick the people to be mentors better.

Good place to work to get a variety of experiences.

Consultant (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat place to work in a variety of industries on various projects. Work with smart people who have different backgrounds and expertise. Invests in training and learning opportunities. Set career progression.

ConsTravel and long hours at times. Can be slow if not staffed on a project. I did not always feel challenged on my projects.

Up and coming company with great culture; however, the work is very boring.

Consultant II (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

Pros- People are genuinely nice
    - Young employees
    - Managing Directors are very accessible
    - The company is growing very fast and it is an exciting time to be there

Cons- For a consulting firm, they don't do much consulting
    - Internal Audit work is very dry, repetitive, and arduous
    - Leadership suggests that you be open about your work preferences, but they do not appreciate it when you do this
    - Review process needs to be fixed

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open with recruits, your company does not have much consulting work in some regions, let them know this before they sign on full time.

Punch in and out 9-5

Consultant Intern (Former Employee)

ProsNice people in the office

Consboring & non-challenging work most of the time

IT Security

Consultant I (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Prospeople, pay, type of work

Consthe city, the brand recognition

Great experience but must be interested in internal auditing, particularly new hires

Consultant I (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsProtiviti offers a great mentorship program and takes their evaluation processes seriously. Employees should expect to receive regular feedback from their supervisors, and upper management appreciates constructive comments during mid-year and annual evaluations. They also encourage their employees to continue developing their technical and professional skills by attending training sessions and pursuing additional certifications.

ConsPlaces most of their new hires, particularly in Houston, in the Internal Audit and Financial Advisory solution. Unless you are keen on pursuing a career in Internal Audit, it is difficult to develop skills outside of the solution and be exposed to different business processes. Most new hires are encouraged to join internal audit professional organizations and pursue certifications specifically related to auditing, such as the CPA, CIA, and CISA.

Some nice people, manipulative management and heavy travel

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsSome offices in California and Arizona have some really nice and smart people. Some of the clients and projects are fulfilling. There can be a good variety of projects, which is great. Projects can be fun and successful when you work with good engagement managing directors. The CEO seems genuine.

ConsI am not fraternity/sorority person and do not live for my alma mater, so that is one strike out for me for a to culture fit. I have had a solid career for 10 years where this was never an issue and find the female human resources management to be more condescending to women than any man I have ever worked with, but very friendly to and favors the young male employees and executive management. Forced vacation at Christmas is a ridiculous way to treat employees who work their fingers to the bone year round and wait to take vacation with my kids and family during the summer.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are not ignorant to the way you treat some people, including woman, very unfairly. It makes them uncomfortable and they are afraid to say anything about it. Many are biding their time until they get their bonus or a better job. remember that Arthur Anderson is gone for a reason. It would be a good time to shake up some of the stale administrative management if you want to keep the good people you have.

Worked for Protiviti? Contribute to the Community!