Protiviti

Updated August 27, 2014
3.6

Protiviti President and CEO Joseph A. Tarantino
Joseph A. Tarantino

Pros
  • Good work / life balance (40-45 hours / week is normal; lots of vacation days) (in 88 reviews)

• It's both a great place to start your career and a great place to stay (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Recruiting promises not kept (work-life balance, limited travel if needed) (in 35 reviews)

• The company has a focus on consulting, but does alot of internal audit work (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Relatively new here but have found that this is a unique place to work.

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time

Pros

At Protiviti, one will find that they often have the opportunity to work with upper management, whereas, that is unheard of at other companies.

The employees are invested in and encouraged to continue learning with is excellent for a person's career. Many of the people within the company have vast knowledge of the industry that they gained from working here or from other companies that they came from. Upper management is pretty open and support of their team. They want to see you grow as it is good for you, the team, and the business.

Consulting is busy and sometimes requires long hours, but that is the nature of the business. We, by no means, work the same hours as Big 4 does. Work life blend is important and is encouraged.

With it being consulting, many of us don't get to interact with each other on a regular basis, so there are many activities that are set up for all of us to get together which usually involves volunteer days, dinner, lunch, coffee, etc.

There are plenty of opportunities to get on various project but you have to make sure to speak up to request those to get on it. Which means, don't expect everything to fall in your lap. But, that applies to life, as well.

Cons

As it is heavily in the IT Audit market, we are known but are working to get more well known.

Continue to grow the topics for each practice at training. This will help with people new to working full-time and consulting.

Continue to invest in the employees and you will find that they will invest in the company.

Protiviti Response

Sep 9, 2014HR Leader

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased to hear that you enjoy the various activities planned to bring our people together. It is an important part of our culture. Another important part of our ... More

Technology Consultant Interview

Current Employee - Technology Risk Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Technology Risk Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Protiviti as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Leadership:
    Protiviti is great because of the people. The culture is super inviting and friendly. People truly care about you and are generally laid back. As a former intern and now a full-time employee, I have full confidence in the management. The upper management, Managing Directors, are great.

Compensation:
    As an intern, I was able to make more money than a full time because of the possibility of overtime.
    As someone who received an offer, I was offered more than my classmates who took Big 4 accounting jobs.

Experience:
    There is no other experience like the Protiviti internship. The Internship Challenge is great and presents an opportunity to meet the company's executive leadership team. I did the exact same work as the entry-level employees and actually got to serve in a role with a Manager and MDI worked with high-profile clients and got to travel as an intern. My friends at Big 4 firms were errand boys. The company is relationship-oriented, so developed great, personal relaitonships with Managing Directors and Managers- something that doesn't happen elsewhere.

Hours:
    Hours as an intern are just fine. 40-50 hours a week, though you want to get staffed more (as with any paid-internship) because of the possibility of overtime. Ultimately, the leadership really cars about you and will take care of you.

Future:
    The company is growing rapidly and is here to stay. The size of Protiviti makes it flexible enough to tailor-make solutions to clients. This situation allows the firm to naturally cultivate an entrepreneurial spirit. Also, the internal landscape is not set, so it feels like there is more ownership on the lower levels. There are opportunities to be visible and advance quickly. Other, more established firms don't have as much of an incentive to advance you. Also, the company is not short on resources (especially since it is owned by Robert-Half) so you don't run into any sort of the problems that boutique firms run into. Huge career development opportunities.

Cons

The compensation is better than Big 4, but there are firms that pay more (as a full time). The company has a focus on consulting, but does alot of internal audit work. As an intern, you may not get to stick around long enough to see the upside to internal audit (it's easy to get lost in the weeds). Not everything is straight consulting, so understand that. Internal audit is fine, but can be boring.

Promote the benefits of Protiviti's internal audit practice and explain the growth strategy. Highlight the growth in cthe client base and name-drop. Put the firm's good people in the spotlight, while at the same time convincing recruits that they won't sacrifice compensation for working with "cool people". Introduce recruits to managers and managing directors and highlight the fact that they are accessible. Show people the entrepreneurial side of the company. In sum, show people the weakness of Big 4s and the attractiveness of Protiviti.

Consultant

Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Just beginning my career here, but the benefits and vacation days seem very ample and promising. The training reflects real world scenarios and seems to be good preparation for the job.

Cons

I don't yet feel prepared to work in the IT specific fields. The training is highly focused on consulting with clients, so I don't know what to expect when I have to do IT related functions at the client site.

Protiviti Response

Jul 24, 2014Texas Campus Recruiter

Thank you for taking some time to provide current feedback on Protiviti. We are glad that you are pleased with our benefits package and our hands on approach to training. Regarding your concerns on ... More

Audit Firm Masked As A Consultancy

Current Employee - Business Risk Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Business Risk Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-This is great if you like to audit. You'll get plenty of opportunities to do so.
    -Work life balance is easily maintained here.
    -There are 1-2 excellent colleagues out of your class of 30-40
    -The pay is more competitive than Big 4, but it's quite low compared to most other places AND you do not get the Big 4 brand name on your resume. I'm not recommending Big 4's assurance or advisory divisions--I don't think they're worth it at all if you're putting in their hours (you might as well pursue IB or true Management Consulting).

Cons

-They tell you they do consulting--they really don't.
    -No one ever gets fired unless they're mentally ill; thus, you have some really unthinkably dumb superiors. UNTHINKABLY. This results in the mediocrity increasing over time as the excellent people all leave to pursue better opportunities and other future excellent people not wanting to come in due to the fact that Protiviti is getting dumber and dumber.

Implement a 20/70/10 model like GE and others to fire bad people and reward your best people. It's not rocket science. You'll see your brand and product quality increase significantly over a few years.

Great place to learn & grow

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

PEOPLE!! I work with great people daily. I learn a ton from them and then have the chance to turn around and teach others on my team too. Great culture with forward thinking strategy goals.

Cons

Variable levels of leadership. Really important to get on a team with a great leader and then learn and then the sky is the limit.

Leadership & Coaching for all levels, continue open door policy and great culture

Good place to work to get a variety of experiences.

Former Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Protiviti full-time

Pros

Great place to work in a variety of industries on various projects. Work with smart people who have different backgrounds and expertise. Invests in training and learning opportunities. Set career progression.

Cons

Travel and long hours at times. Can be slow if not staffed on a project. I did not always feel challenged on my projects.

Up and coming company with great culture; however, the work is very boring.

Former Employee - Consultant II in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant II in Dallas, TX

I worked at Protiviti full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- People are genuinely nice
    - Young employees
    - Managing Directors are very accessible
    - The company is growing very fast and it is an exciting time to be there

Cons

- For a consulting firm, they don't do much consulting
    - Internal Audit work is very dry, repetitive, and arduous
    - Leadership suggests that you be open about your work preferences, but they do not appreciate it when you do this
    - Review process needs to be fixed

Be more open with recruits, your company does not have much consulting work in some regions, let them know this before they sign on full time.

IT Security

Current Employee - Consultant I in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant I in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (less than an year)

Pros

people, pay, type of work

Cons

the city, the brand recognition

Good first job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Protiviti full-time

Pros

work/life balance, work culture (very young and fun), training (one of the best training programs), mentor program, opportunity for a lot of responsibility on projects, professional growth

Cons

management visibility (open door policy, but you have to seek them out), type of work (audit can get somewhat tedious and boring)

Try to interact with co-workers of all levels both in and outside of work. Also, be more aggressive on the types of projects to get (seems to be heavily audit-focused)

Good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent work life balance
    great people
    sometimes challenging assignements

Cons

repetitive SOX work
    low pay compared to average
    lack of raises and incentive comp last few years

Take care of your people and pay more