Protiviti Reviews

Reset
4.2
Protiviti President and CEO Joseph A. Tarantino
Joseph A. Tarantino

Pros
  • Work/life balance is better than Big 4 (in 88 reviews)

• Nice place to start your career (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is a farce here (in 35 reviews)

• Cannt only keep picking low hanging fruits forever - most work are still associated with SOX/Internal Audit (in 27 reviews)

1. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Protiviti in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Protiviti in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Protiviti

Pros

Great work life balance and plenty of opportunity for advancement

Cons

The work can get tedious at time and travel can get old

Advice to Management

The whole entire company needs to be compensated more in line with the competitors

2. Coming from a Big 4 Consulting Firm, my on-boarding at Protiviti has been a wonderful experience.

Current Employee - Associate Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Protiviti

Pros

The people and culture - Everyone knows you by your name and the MDs and Executive MDs take the time to listen to your ideas, opinions and career aspirations. There is a real sense of being more that just an employee, the firm goes out of it's way to ensure that you are plugged in and on-board with the strategy of the company.

Cons

Expense reports are a manual process. Yes, you heard me correctly. You mail in receipts twice a month.

Advice to Management

Keep on Keeping on!

3. Protiviti is growing rapidly and focuses on rewarding and developing its people while adding value to their clients.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant I in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant I in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the client facing nature of the work. Protiviti offers a variety of services to small and large companies in a multitude of industries. This has allowed me to continue to learn new processes, techniques, and businesses as I progress in my career. The leadership team is very involved in the training and development of their employees at both the office level and national level with executives.

Cons

Benefits related to 401K matching is the biggest Con I have found. Scheduling and flexibility can be challenges with Protiviti because they are at the mercy of their clients schedules and plans it can be frustrating not knowing what your next project will be until last minute.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the entrepreneurial spirit that has allowed for recent aggressive growth. Also keep the personal and small company feel that makes it feel more like a family than a cold profit focused corporation.

5. Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant II in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant II in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Protiviti

Pros

The culture is excellent, Protiviti is full of kind people.

Cons

If you have a niche skill you might only get to work on those types of engagements.

Advice to Management

More communication with less senior consultants.

Mar 2, 2015VP-People & Culture

Thanks for taking the time to comment. On your point around skills driving your work assignments ... while that *is* the reality, let me also mention the importance of completing a skills profile and ... More

6. Relatively new here but have found that this is a unique place to work.

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time

Pros

At Protiviti, one will find that they often have the opportunity to work with upper management, whereas, that is unheard of at other companies.

The employees are invested in and encouraged to continue learning with is excellent for a person's career. Many of the people within the company have vast knowledge of the industry that they gained from working here or from other companies that they came from. Upper management is pretty open and support of their team. They want to see you grow as it is good for you, the team, and the business.

Consulting is busy and sometimes requires long hours, but that is the nature of the business. We, by no means, work the same hours as Big 4 does. Work life blend is important and is encouraged.

With it being consulting, many of us don't get to interact with each other on a regular basis, so there are many activities that are set up for all of us to get together which usually involves volunteer days, dinner, lunch, coffee, etc.

There are plenty of opportunities to get on various project but you have to make sure to speak up to request those to get on it. Which means, don't expect everything to fall in your lap. But, that applies to life, as well.

Cons

As it is heavily in the IT Audit market, we are known but are working to get more well known.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow the topics for each practice at training. This will help with people new to working full-time and consulting.

Continue to invest in the employees and you will find that they will invest in the company.

Sep 9, 2014HR Leader

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased to hear that you enjoy the various activities planned to bring our people together. It is an important part of our culture. Another important part of our ... More

Technology Consultant Interview

Current Intern - Technology Risk Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Intern - Technology Risk Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Protiviti as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Leadership:
    Protiviti is great because of the people. The culture is super inviting and friendly. People truly care about you and are generally laid back. As a former intern and now a full-time employee, I have full confidence in the management. The upper management, Managing Directors, are great.

Compensation:
    As an intern, I was able to make more money than a full time because of the possibility of overtime.
    As someone who received an offer, I was offered more than my classmates who took Big 4 accounting jobs.

Experience:
    There is no other experience like the Protiviti internship. The Internship Challenge is great and presents an opportunity to meet the company's executive leadership team. I did the exact same work as the entry-level employees and actually got to serve in a role with a Manager and MDI worked with high-profile clients and got to travel as an intern. My friends at Big 4 firms were errand boys. The company is relationship-oriented, so developed great, personal relaitonships with Managing Directors and Managers- something that doesn't happen elsewhere.

Hours:
    Hours as an intern are just fine. 40-50 hours a week, though you want to get staffed more (as with any paid-internship) because of the possibility of overtime. Ultimately, the leadership really cars about you and will take care of you.

Future:
    The company is growing rapidly and is here to stay. The size of Protiviti makes it flexible enough to tailor-make solutions to clients. This situation allows the firm to naturally cultivate an entrepreneurial spirit. Also, the internal landscape is not set, so it feels like there is more ownership on the lower levels. There are opportunities to be visible and advance quickly. Other, more established firms don't have as much of an incentive to advance you. Also, the company is not short on resources (especially since it is owned by Robert-Half) so you don't run into any sort of the problems that boutique firms run into. Huge career development opportunities.

Cons

The compensation is better than Big 4, but there are firms that pay more (as a full time). The company has a focus on consulting, but does alot of internal audit work. As an intern, you may not get to stick around long enough to see the upside to internal audit (it's easy to get lost in the weeds). Not everything is straight consulting, so understand that. Internal audit is fine, but can be boring.

Advice to Management

Promote the benefits of Protiviti's internal audit practice and explain the growth strategy. Highlight the growth in cthe client base and name-drop. Put the firm's good people in the spotlight, while at the same time convincing recruits that they won't sacrifice compensation for working with "cool people". Introduce recruits to managers and managing directors and highlight the fact that they are accessible. Show people the entrepreneurial side of the company. In sum, show people the weakness of Big 4s and the attractiveness of Protiviti.

8. Consultant

Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Just beginning my career here, but the benefits and vacation days seem very ample and promising. The training reflects real world scenarios and seems to be good preparation for the job.

Cons

I don't yet feel prepared to work in the IT specific fields. The training is highly focused on consulting with clients, so I don't know what to expect when I have to do IT related functions at the client site.

Jul 24, 2014Texas Campus Recruiter

Thank you for taking some time to provide current feedback on Protiviti. We are glad that you are pleased with our benefits package and our hands on approach to training. Regarding your concerns on ... More

Audit Firm Masked As A Consultancy

Current Employee - Business Risk Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Business Risk Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-This is great if you like to audit. You'll get plenty of opportunities to do so.
    -Work life balance is easily maintained here.
    -There are 1-2 excellent colleagues out of your class of 30-40
    -The pay is more competitive than Big 4, but it's quite low compared to most other places AND you do not get the Big 4 brand name on your resume. I'm not recommending Big 4's assurance or advisory divisions--I don't think they're worth it at all if you're putting in their hours (you might as well pursue IB or true Management Consulting).

Cons

-They tell you they do consulting--they really don't.
    -No one ever gets fired unless they're mentally ill; thus, you have some really unthinkably dumb superiors. UNTHINKABLY. This results in the mediocrity increasing over time as the excellent people all leave to pursue better opportunities and other future excellent people not wanting to come in due to the fact that Protiviti is getting dumber and dumber.

Advice to Management

Implement a 20/70/10 model like GE and others to fire bad people and reward your best people. It's not rocket science. You'll see your brand and product quality increase significantly over a few years.

10. Great place to learn & grow

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

PEOPLE!! I work with great people daily. I learn a ton from them and then have the chance to turn around and teach others on my team too. Great culture with forward thinking strategy goals.

Cons

Variable levels of leadership. Really important to get on a team with a great leader and then learn and then the sky is the limit.

Advice to Management

Leadership & Coaching for all levels, continue open door policy and great culture

Good place to work to get a variety of experiences.

Former Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Protiviti full-time

Pros

Great place to work in a variety of industries on various projects. Work with smart people who have different backgrounds and expertise. Invests in training and learning opportunities. Set career progression.

Cons

Travel and long hours at times. Can be slow if not staffed on a project. I did not always feel challenged on my projects.

RSS Feed </> Embed