Protiviti

Updated December 9, 2014
3.6

Protiviti President and CEO Joseph A. Tarantino
Joseph A. Tarantino

Pros
  • Good work / life balance (40-45 hours / week is normal; lots of vacation days) (in 88 reviews)

• It's both a great place to start your career and a great place to stay (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Recruiting promises not kept (work-life balance, limited travel if needed) (in 35 reviews)

• The company has a focus on consulting, but does alot of internal audit work (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

31 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to start your career

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Protiviti is a great place to start for an entry level Finance, Accounting, or MIS major. The people around you are those who have lives and yet are skilled workers. You usually work a normal 8-5, unless deadlines are approaching. You definitely don't work the crazy hours that external auditors do (9 AM to 1 AM).

Cons

The work you do is based off of whatever need clients have. You can be working a fun project, or a really boring one. You may also deal with clients who are cooperative or those who are making your life difficult. Also, schedules are dependent upon the client. Lastly, changeability is the ability to stay booked on clients. This can affect your bonus if you are not working for clients for a significant amount of time. You still get paid salary, but you become an expense to the company, so try to stay active and let your managers know that you'll be available if the time comes.

Try to make schedules as flexible as possible (specifically Fridays) and fix bonuses to not be based off of changeability.

Not what I expected.

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-The only truly good reason to work here is the people. Most of the people here are really nice and helpful.
    -Do not work much overtime.

Cons

-Work is extremely boring and repetitive.
    -Work is easy and non-challenging.
    -You do not learn anything from this job.
    -No skills will be learned that will be useful in another job, unless wanting to be in internal audit.
    -Incentive programs are not very good, bonuses are low.
    -Most work relating to SOX Testing.
    -You may have little influence as to what/ where your assignments may be.
    -Most people select their jobs based on the people, but this is an exception. No matter how great the people here are the work will make you miserable because it is so slow and boring.

Protiviti Response

Dec 12, 2014Texas Campus Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you are enjoying the people you are working with and that you find Protiviti’s work/life blend to be positive. In regards to your project work, I would ... More

Management / Operations Consulting - great!

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

people, culture, variety of work

Cons

change in job (not a steady location since you're always at a client-site)

Keep doing what you're doing!

Low level, uninformed consultants, no experience. Insight, or creativity

Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is the place to work if you have no pride and simply want to collect a paycheck. Unsupervised consultants with very little pressure, and a management team filled will no nothings

Cons

You will learn nothing from your supervisors grow very little on your job and the compensation is not at all what you could get at a better firm. Very little real supply chain work and what's worse you will probably be teamed with some RHI temp person that knows even less

Pay better, get better people, stop using RHI zeros and perhaps get a management team that can spell Supply Chain

Able To Make An Impact

Current Employee - U S Campus Recruiting Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - U S Campus Recruiting Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for two companies during my professional career, and have found myself extremely happy at Protiviti for the past seven years. When I graduated from school, I wanted a career that would support my professional and personal goals in life.

Professionally, I wanted to continue to progress, learn, be provided diverse opportunities, understand experiences that were provided to me, and be able to make an impact on the organization.

Personally, I wanted to work for a company who was committed to community service, work/life blend, and engaging their employees on multiple levels.

I believe Protiviti has assisted in helping me meet these various goals, along with many others. Each year I have had meetings with my career advisors for official development points and many unofficial mentoring relationships have grown with individuals who work in all aspects of our firms.

The accessibility of our leadership is something that I think sets our firm apart from all other organizations. I regularly am on calls with our Executive Vice President, have had multiple conversations with our CEO, and continue to get to know many geography, industry, and upcoming leaders in our firm. I appreciate that these individuals are not too busy to get to know me personally.

Cons

No organization in perfect and neither is Protiviti. I would say that our Leadership is not adverse to change, being that we have a long history as an organization, but that we have only been in existence since 2002, we are still developing the best approach to everything similar to a start-up. Protiviti addresses issues head-on, which I appreciate. If you have an idea, people at all levels are willing to listen, research and figure out if it fits within the desires and goals we are attempting to achieve as an organization.

Continue staying engaged with your employees and their needs.

Internship experience

Current Employee - Intern in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at Protiviti as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great work life balance. Fantastic culture with great people to work with! Lots of floating holidays

Cons

As an intern I am yet to experience any part of the company that I didn't like.

Keep up the good work.

Protiviti Response

Jul 24, 2014Texas Campus Recruiter

Thank you for taking some time to share your opinions on your internship experience. We are glad to hear that you are enjoying yourself and hope that your last few weeks continue to be as positive!

Good place to start your career

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Good work / life balance (40-45 hours / week is normal; lots of vacation days)
    - Work travel can be extensive
    - Good culture but it can be hard to reconnect with people when you never go to the office
    - Young vibe

Cons

- It's very easy to get stuck on the same project for a long period of time
    - Work travel can be extensive
    - Salary is competitive with Big Four but not with most mid-size to large / top consulting firms
    - It can be tough to convince Management to send personnel to specific trainings applicable to client work
    - The bulk of our firm's work is Internal Audit; it's very easy to get stuck on IA / SOX projects

Be more encouraging of applicable training and self-study / professional degrees and programs. Also, think outside of the SOX / IA box! Real consulting work is so much more fun. Finally, encourage personnel to be in the office on Fridays. If I wanted to work for my client full-time on-site, I would just do that instead of being a consultant / contractor. Being able to reconnect with people in our own company once a week or once every other week helps keep us loyal to our own firm.

Technology Consultant

Current Employee - Technology Risk Consultant I in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Technology Risk Consultant I in Houston, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have thoroughly enjoyed working as a Technology Consultant for a year and being a previous intern. At Protiviti, you are given the opportunity to work in any industry or solution that fits you. You can choose from Social Engineering to SOX Compliance.

The mentoring program is great having a "buddy" at the consultant level, "advisor" at manager level and "executive advisor" at director level. My mentors always worked to meet my needs and staffed me on projects that I was interested in. They took interest in me personally beyond work and felt more like friends.

The culture is young and welcoming. Majority of employees are 22-35 and there are always social events to attend outside of work. I have made life long friends and deep client relationships (great networking).

Protiviti has extensive training at each level in the company and really invest in their employees knowledge and growth. You attend a "Challenge" school each time you get promoted. I attended The Intern Challenge and The Consultant Challenge. Both schools have been the highlight of my career providing me great training and the most fun weeks of my life.

Work-life balance is a big deal in the company. I have never worked over 40 hours/week. There is a chance you could work over time but it is very rare (i.e. meeting a deadline) and they find a way to give that time back to you like leaving work early on Friday or coming in late the next morning. It is also very rare to work on weekends, even though some people do work on the weekend by choice.

Cons

Starting salary may not be high but you are promoted quickly which in turn increases pay at a fast rate. Turnover is higher as you become Manager-level and above due to people leaving to an industry job (this is a personal preference though).

More competitive salary

Awesome place to work and build a career!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have awesome coworkers, and we do a lot together outside of work.
    I find my job to be challenging and enjoyable!
    There is definitely an opportunity to advance with their fast track to management for those that work hard.
    There are a lot of opportunities to get involved in different community activities.

Cons

The benefits and parking costs are expensive.

Great people

Current Employee - Consultant II in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant II in Houston, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time

Pros

Protiviti recruits team members who are bright and friendly. Everyone I interacted with was sharp and many of us became friends. Their strategy shows. Gaps are generally filled by promoting form within.

Cons

Depending on your team, if you do not like to travel frequently, you may want to look elsewhere. My team traveled between 50 and 75% of weeks over the course of a year, but it was rarely more than 4 days per week and rarely more than 3 weeks in a row.