Protiviti

Updated December 11, 2014
3.6

Protiviti President and CEO Joseph A. Tarantino
Joseph A. Tarantino

Pros
  • Good work / life balance (40-45 hours / week is normal; lots of vacation days) (in 88 reviews)

• It's both a great place to start your career and a great place to stay (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Recruiting promises not kept (work-life balance, limited travel if needed) (in 35 reviews)

• The company has a focus on consulting, but does alot of internal audit work (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

42 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Internship Experience!!

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Protiviti

Pros

The Protiviti Summer Internship was truly a worthwhile and fulfilling experience. I learned a ton being an intern, had great professional development opportunities and met a lot of great co-workers! Protiviti also did a great job making the Summer Internship very fun with numerous events and activities.

Cons

Other the course of my 8 week internship I did not have any cons. Protiviti really provided us with the resources and tools to be successful.

Dec 12, 2014U.S. Campus Recruiting Lead

Thank you for your feedback! I am glad to hear that you had a meaningful internship experience. We work hard to provide our interns with a true "peek" into life at Protiviti so that you can learn ... More

Protiviti is a great place to launch your career

Current Employee - Senior Consultant II in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant II in New York, NY

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Overall, Protiviti has really great people and a strong work environment.
    A focus on training and mentoring makes this a great place to start your career.
    If you are proactive and hardworking you can advance quickly.
    Senior management is approachable and understanding.
    The job offers opportunities to take leadership roles early in your career and strong on the job learning.
    Good work life balance depending on the project.

Cons

The salary is average at best compared to the industry.
    The salary/bonus advancement between Senior Consultant and Manager is incredibly low compared to industry.
    Since it is a consulting firm, your experience differs depending on the clients/types you have. If you aren't happy/challenge on a client you are on, you could be stuck on that client for an extended period of time.

Need to recognize and compensate managers and above accordingly in order to maintain top talent.

Oct 23, 2014HR Leader

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Protiviti. I encourage you to participate in one of our webinars about our Promises to our People where we discuss our approach to ... More

great if you're young & single - experiences will HIGHLY vary.

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Protiviti full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- for entry-level consultants, work-life balance is wonderful, almost never worked more than 40 hours. Often took 1.5-2 hour lunch breaks. Rarely stressed. Life was leisurely.
    - projects are low stress, lets just say it isn't rocket-science, a lot of mind-less paper (email) pushing.
    - traveling is fun, as long as your project manager and travel city is also good. lots of airline miles, fancy dinners, mostly great hotels. (if you're young and single, this can be a lot of fun - if not, this can get old quickly)
    - young and fun people, large percentage of females for a financial services firm, which creates favorable inter-office dating scene for males. very social.
    - everyone is super friendly, down to earth, nobody takes themselves too seriously. everyone realizes this is just a job
    - lots of drinking, especially if you're traveling on the road. (this can be a pro or con depending on age) I drank and partied more at this job than at college.
    - at junior levels, pay is slightly lower than big-4 (5-10%), but lifestyle and stress are way way lower, so I consider this a pro!

Cons

- everyone gets pigeon-holed into one speciality, not much variation in projects.
    - taking on extra initiative, working harder...will not get you faster promotions or higher pay. doing the bare minimum while be friendly and amicable is the best strategy here.
    - your happiness will be dependent on your project & project manager - if these aren't good, essentially all the "pro's" don't apply or won't matter. you will be miserable. changing projects can be impossible or take forever.
    - company is very REACTIVE, they chase short-term money & projects.
    - company will always be the "budget" option in comparison to big-4, we'll always be tier-2.
    - if you travel, maintaining friends/significant other at home can be REALLY difficult, most turnover is due to this or money, see next bullet...
    - pay gap between Big-4 becomes very dramatic as you move up ranks, manager & higher.
    - travel, air miles, fancy dinners, drinking every night...it can get really old and exhausting after about 2 years.
    - benefits are not that great, 401k, healthcare, dental plans are simply adequate, nothing wonderful.
    - Protiviti does a horrible job at integrating experienced hires, they often try to match salaries from people who come from industry, this results in people more junior than you earning far higher salaries...yet these new hires still require significant training before than can "get it" and understand how consulting works. this causes a lot of frustration for dedicated long-timers.
    - racial diversity in senior leadership/MDs is almost non-existent, basically all white males, with a few exceptions.

If you want employee retention, you need to start allowing junior staff to explore different specialties and areas of interest. Not everyone knows what they want to do at age of 2. This new generation of young professionals are motivated far differently than you were 30-40 years ago....you need to adapt or see your best talent leave for money or new opportunities.

Best of times, worst of times.

Former Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY

I worked at Protiviti full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A limited number of professionals with market standing reside in the firm. For junior folks, utilization is probably equal to big 4, but on a lower base. You will have more of a life here than there, but turnover was significant.

Cons

The rest are Arthur Andersen. It's a club reserved for Andersonites. Very few stars (just baby consultants with no hands on operational expertise, limiting moral authority in the marketplace), deliverables are average at best, which tend to be churned to juice final client bills. Projects are generally average, with interesting projects landing in larger firms. Remember...this is an internal audit based firm, meaning lower bill rates (reflective of low grade body shop "consulting" firms) than consulting/advisory work, of which there is little. Not sure where the pay scale resides, probably average, but the bonus structure is just awful (you can see it on the Ladders currently under regulatory consulting firm) and tends to evaporate to near 0 if you are not in the club, and that is done by whim (so think about the potential for long hours, weekends, and red eyes: is this really worth it?). MD comp packages are quite large, everybody else is limited and dedicated to perhaps out of market MD packages.

Maybe this is just "consulting," but better models (projects, quality of colleagues, remuneration, progression, etc.) exist than this one.

Can't give advice to the Andersen crowd. Blood is thicker than water.

Wonderful place to kick-off your career

Current Employee - Consultant I in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant I in New York, NY

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Incredibly accessible management (chance to spend time in a social setting with Managing Directors).
    Interesting and diverse work opportunities.
    High growth within firm, leading to greater advancement opportunities.
    AMAZING culture.

Cons

Often, it is difficult to get onto a first project when you start, but it gets easier after the first waiting period.

Staffing to projects should be done in a more organized manner.

The Best Technology Risk Consulting Internship in the Block

Current Employee - Technology Risk Consulting in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technology Risk Consulting in New York, NY

I have been working at Protiviti as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

As an Intern, I was given responsibilities comparable to those of full time new-hires. I was never given photocopies to make or papers to shred -- I was performing real internal audit work, and prepared deliverables for our clients. I was able to sit in on meetings with the client and participate in process mapping inquiries. My thoughts and propositions were always considered, and my ideas on opportunities for business process improvement were always taken Into consideration. I was a member of the team, not just an intern.

But perhaps what made me enjoy this internship the most were the people I met. Interns got very close together, and the culture and environment Is very positive, team-based and without a cut-throat mentality. The amount of after-work events provides you with many opportunities to create lasting bonds with these people. They're not just your co-workers, they're your teams, fellow interns, mentors, and select few almost become family. Further, Protiviti hires the best people, as evidenced by interns meeting up on the weekends in their own time to spend time together.

Overall, Protiviti features a very goal-based, yet team-oriented, mentality, shared by employees across the different offices, both the larger ones like New York, and smaller ones like Orlando. Their focus on the Best People and Culture cornerstone Is very apparent, and their loyalty to clients will ensure company success for years to come.

Cons

The company seems to have several of its lower-level employees leave before their 5-year anniversary. While this can be attributed to a variety of reasons, the main recurring cause seems to be that Consultants or Senior Consultants receive higher-paying offers from some of our clients. (Arguably a positive, seeing our clients like our work and people enough to try and hire them for themselves.) However, the company is working on this by providing employees with workshops to help them gain the most out of Protiviti's financial rewards, and it should be noted that getting promoted In Protiviti is not as challenging of a task as it is in larger firms.

Aug 13, 2014Director of Recruiting

Thank you for your feedback! We are very proud of our internship program and are so glad that you had a great experience with us this summer. We are laser focused on your points regarding retention ... More

Good impression for new hires

Current Employee - Internal Audit Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Internal Audit Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Overall a great impression so far. The NY campus recruiters conducted a smooth and quick operation, so much that it played a deciding factor on choosing Protiviti while considering other offers. The company has created a great experience for us new hires so far at the consultant challenge in Chicago.

Cons

Nothing negative to say at this moment.

Jul 27, 2014Director of Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your feedback! I am so glad that you had a great recruiting and onboarding experience with us. Good luck on your upcoming projects and we look forward to teaming with you to ... More

Great experience here so far.

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The facilitators and mentors are very welcoming and accommodating. I feel as if I'm appreciated and can bring something to the team.

Cons

A lot of travel, but reasonable expectations thereafter. The atmosphere borderlines on fratty, but many of the consultants don't buy in.

Experience that I would like to completely forget

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Choosing to work at Protiviti was probably the worst decision I've ever made. I think it has more to do with my complete disinterest in auditing but I don't think Protiviti handles things the correct way either.

First, they really lie to you during the interview process. You CANNOT choose how often and where you travel. You CANNOT choose your projects/clients based on your interests. You CANNOT even choose what solution you are grouped into.

I selected Protiviti over advisory groups at the Big 4 because I thought, being a smaller company, they would be more sensitive to their employees wants/needs. They also seemed somewhat cooler, more creative and definitely more "consulting" focused.

On my first day of work I learned, because of my accounting background, I was automatically placed (they did not ask me at all) in the internal audit group. I knew people with engineering and computer science degrees being placed in IT Audit. Why would you waste such talent and potential by throwing someone into an audit group when they literally know nothing about audit at all? It's actually quite insulting. They have people who can code and build software and instead they're ticking and tying out work papers and checking employee access for clients. By the way- most of their projects are audit based- not consulting. Don't be fooled.

I understand as a company, it's first come first serve and they need to add staff where most needed. In fact, this is how it works for projects too. You live in NJ? Well we need someone for an LI project and you're available- spend 4 hours a day commuting or live in a hotel for 4 months. That's how Protiviti approaches staffing. Literally no consideration of geographical preferences, family obligations, work life balance. In my almost 1.5 years spent working there, I had a grand total of about 4 weeks working in NYC. Be prepared to get very cozy with NJ Transit, LI Expressway, the Whitestone Bridge and the Metro North. Get used to spending 2+ hours commuting every day.

Once you're placed into a group, you are completely stuck there unless by some miracle, a a senior manager+ intervenes on your behalf or you leave the firm. You are pigeonholed from day one. I was very lucky (kidding) to have a SOX client first, so guess who all my subsequent clients were? I couldn't even get on a straight internal audit project let alone do some real consulting, I was bounced around from SOX engagement to SOX engagement. I felt like my brain was literally atrophying from the lack of thought provoking or creative work. You don't even get to work on a variety of clients. Once a client likes you, you're stuck on that project every year. My 2nd year at Protiviti was looking identical to my first. How is that good for employees to do the same thing every day, every year. I wasn't learning or feeling productive or fulfilled. It was just awful.

I attempted to find interesting clients/projects/teams/groups to work with. I emailed MDs in other solutions asking for work, talked to my seniors, managers, senior managers, advisors, etc about switching groups. What I found out is that nobody really cares. No one cares about you being interested in your work, being happy at your job, having a decent commute, etc. All Protiviti cares about is their clients. I think that is the biggest mistake they can make, although they certainly aren't the only company doing it.

I think it's telling that all the managers who interviewed me, had quit in the short time I worked at Protiviti. Every single consultant I started with resented Protiviti after a few months and fantasized about the day they left. I didn't know anyone who actually liked working there. People got anxiety from the place. People are sad to be working there. People quit left and right. What a terribly unproductive environment.

To add salt to the wound, when I started looking for a new job, not one person knew what Protiviti was when they looked at my resume. If you want to work in audit for the rest of your life, working at Protiviti is fine. If you don't, do yourself a favor and at least work at the Big 4 to get a recognizable and impressive name on your resume.

Cons

See above for general comments but here's a pros/cons list:

Pros:
    Good starting salary- for coming right out of college, starting with 58k was really great. People always complain but I truly believe that for an entry level position, that is very generous and fair. Also, its on par with Big 4 (actually 1k more but that's pretty insignificant)

Generous vacation time- starts at 20 days off. I also appreciated how easy it was to take that time. No hoops to jump through, no approval process. You just took time as you needed it, no questions really asked.

Option for a sabbatical- this is a recent addition (and pretty progressive if you ask me). You can take a month or 2 off in Q1 if you want to travel, study for an exam, or search for a new job ha ha.

Training: The Consultant Challenge was actually a ton of fun and they did a good job teaching you useful skills. You get pretty close to all the people you start with which is really nice.

Cons:
    The people: So obviously there are a few gems, some genuinely nice or intelligent people. Mostly, I really disliked everyone. Everyone was pretty bland- your typical party hard, boozy brunch girl or sport obsessed, bar hopping guy. I really had no desire to hang out with any of these people during or after work. The managers are okay but mostly really really bland or they think they're gods gift to the world, swanning around the office in their suit acting like they're running a multi-billion dollar company.

Travel: Like I said before, it doesn't matter who you are or where you live, get used to filling out tax forms for 4+ states every year.

Hours: Hours start at 45 hours a week. Whatever happened to the good ol' 40 hour work week? If you work 45 hours a week, consider yourself lucky. Busier times on projects will easily net you 50-65 hour workweeks. Don't forget about that 1+ hour commute too! Work-life balance is a farce here. Sure its better than a bank or external audit at a Big 4 but it's still crap and no way to live life. Expect to work weekends, holidays too if your client gets really busy. Forgot about working from home too- I didn't have the ability to do that at all when I worked for Protiviti.

Lack of flexibility: No option to switch groups, clients, gain new skills, work with new people. Promotional ladder is very rigid and almost completely dependent on amount of time worked.

The whole structure of the firm: I just get bad vibes from the whole thing. The CEO is so dull and uninspiring. HR is very unhelpful, uncaring and curt. Like I said, it's all about the client and not about the employees being happy. They pretend to care by organizing stupid community service or after work events that are just so contrived and forced. There is also an insane amount of politics, back stabbing, red tape, gossiping, in-fighting and hurt feelings that go on behind the scenes. Very unprofessional and pretty ridiculous and the employees just get caught up in all of it. Also the whole buddy system, advisor, mentor, goal setting, review process is such a waste of time and no one really benefits from it.

Use your size and relative newness as an advantage. Stop acting like the little sibling to the Big 4, mimicking everything they do. You are small and young and more nimble- enact innovative policies in the office. Stop being so corporate and stuffy- its unappealing to clients and to employees. Pretend that you're a tech company. Maybe have a looser dress code, allow telecommuting, cap hours at 50 per week, show compassion, hire different types of people with unique skills, offer increased vacation days, continue and expand sabbatical program, ask new hires where they want to be placed and their interests before assigning them a group, be sensitive, encourage creativity, be unique, foster happiness, do away with the all the time-wasting and narrow goal setting/buddy/mentor/advisor processes, compensate for travel time, stop treating consultants as cattle by using them and shifting them around as you please. The most impactful and realistic suggestion I have though is to offer a rotational program. Let new consultants try new things, learn as much as possible and see what they like best. Then give them the power to choose their group. You will get the most informed, happiest and productive employees that way. Forget about building out your services and adding new half-assed solutions. Focus on your employees first and they will take care of the rest and make Protiviti an innovative and profitable consulting firm. You will be completely distinguished from all other firms and will attract top talent. What you invest now will be returned 10-fold. One more thing, BE a consulting firm, don't just SAY you're a consulting firm.

Aug 28, 2014HR Leader

Thank you for this valuable feedback. We have shared your feedback with our New York staffing and HR team, as well as our Managing Directors, and are using it, along with other employee feedback to ... More

Worked here for almost 2 years.

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people at Protiviti are Great to work with. When it comes to work/life balance I found that Protiviti was very flexible with that.

Cons

There isn'tmuch to say except that depending on what project you are staffed on in the beginning, you may remain there for a very long time with little chance for change.

Allow for more flexibility with different clients and jobs would greatly help morale of employees.