Protiviti

Updated December 16, 2014
3.6

Protiviti President and CEO Joseph A. Tarantino
Joseph A. Tarantino

Pros
  • Good work / life balance (40-45 hours / week is normal; lots of vacation days) (in 88 reviews)

• It's both a great place to start your career and a great place to stay (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Recruiting promises not kept (work-life balance, limited travel if needed) (in 35 reviews)

• The company has a focus on consulting, but does alot of internal audit work (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Internship Experience!!

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Protiviti

Pros

The Protiviti Summer Internship was truly a worthwhile and fulfilling experience. I learned a ton being an intern, had great professional development opportunities and met a lot of great co-workers! Protiviti also did a great job making the Summer Internship very fun with numerous events and activities.

Cons

Other the course of my 8 week internship I did not have any cons. Protiviti really provided us with the resources and tools to be successful.

Protiviti Response

Dec 12, 2014U.S. Campus Recruiting Lead

Thank you for your feedback! I am glad to hear that you had a meaningful internship experience. We work hard to provide our interns with a true "peek" into life at Protiviti so that you can learn ... More

Overall great company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is great; approximately 45 hours on average. This is exceptional compared to the big consulting firms or public accounting. Part of your bonus is based on your billable hours. The more you work, the bigger your bonus us. Due to its size, the firm still has a personal touch. Management shows genuine interest in you and is open to feedback. CEO and SVPs attend training sessions and make an effort to get to know you. Recruiting does a great job in hiring the right people. There's no one in my office I wouldn't grab lunch with or a beer after work.4 weeks of vacation which increases based on time with the company.

Cons

Although it is a consulting firm, most of the work I've been doing is very much centered around internal audits and SOX 404 compliance. Only few "real" consulting projects where you can actually add value to the client but I know this is based on the region you're working in. Benefits are okay but not great. I expected a better benefits package especially after management decided to revamp benefits and provide more options. 401(k) matching is only average and price of health care is still too high compared to top firms in the industry.

Keep doing what you're doing and make sure to maintain the small firm feel despite the continued growth we've been experiencing.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Flexible
    - Drive own career
    - Variety
    - Great people

Cons

- Work can be mundane and not challenging

- Keep up the great work!
    - Get a bigger office in Chicago so I can have a permanent seat.

Great place to start your career

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Protiviti is a great place to start for an entry level Finance, Accounting, or MIS major. The people around you are those who have lives and yet are skilled workers. You usually work a normal 8-5, unless deadlines are approaching. You definitely don't work the crazy hours that external auditors do (9 AM to 1 AM).

Cons

The work you do is based off of whatever need clients have. You can be working a fun project, or a really boring one. You may also deal with clients who are cooperative or those who are making your life difficult. Also, schedules are dependent upon the client. Lastly, changeability is the ability to stay booked on clients. This can affect your bonus if you are not working for clients for a significant amount of time. You still get paid salary, but you become an expense to the company, so try to stay active and let your managers know that you'll be available if the time comes.

Try to make schedules as flexible as possible (specifically Fridays) and fix bonuses to not be based off of changeability.

Great people, empty promises, boring work.

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-People
    -Work life balance is solid.

Cons

-Compensation is low compared to the brutally boring nature of the work.

-Perks are becoming less and less (i.e. In-flight wifi perk is gone, etc.)

-The work is unbelievably BORING in the internal audit practice. New consultants (internal auditors) are misinformed at the Consultant Challenge in that they work on a mock project with a management consulting objective (i.e. turnaround a company with declining sales which is very interesting). Want to know what I really do? I pick up a red pencil and test SOX controls the same as last year. Absolutely horrid and DYING. Companies are beginning to build up in-house internal audit groups.

-No motivation to work hard. Despite being given a 'Distinguished' rating on a performance review, I was held back from promotion because I was 3 months shy of the 2 year unwritten minimum. What's my incentive to work hard when i'm going to just be held back in order to be promoted the same time as my peers who don't work nearly as hard? I also was not given any constructive criticism to explain why I was held back.

-I voiced my opinion numerous times about my interest in moving into a specific practice, but that request was not honored. I got lost in the weeds so to speak. Why? Because there is a constant battle among management for resources since numbers are dwindling. What happens is if you tell your career and executive advisors you'd like experience in a specific area, they are reluctant to give you what you want since they won't be able to use you on their projects. It's a farce and in turn, people leave.

-My advice is to silo your practices. Do not recruit people for the Internal Audit & Financial Advisory practice and label them as "Consultants" because they aren't. They are internal auditors. By using the term consultant, you attract a specific type of person. You attract the A-type personalities who have watched too many episodes of House of Lies. Then after a while they hate ticking and tying and leave. Then the MDs are left wondering why. Everyone in the firm knows the Risk & Compliance practice is the bread winner. They get paid more and work on more interesting projects, but that comes at a cost: nearly 100% travel and getting pigeonholed on one long-term project.

-The Big 4 model works. Advisory practice = consultants. Audit practice = staff/associate. Be transparent up front in explaining the work you do and you will see those turnover numbers decrease.

-Stop stifling the wishes of your younger employees. Protiviti is growing, but because of this they are attracting go-getters and A-types. Don't be naive in thinking these individuals are stupid, because they aren't. They can understand when something is the truth and when it is plain BS. And when they are being fed BS disguised as truth, they get upset and leave.

great culture, great leadership, strong growth

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Protiviti full-time

Pros

The people are what make Protiviti great. The culture of professionals they have developed directly correlates to the success of the business. There are plenty of opportunities to experiences a variety of industries and projects.

Cons

You may have little influence as to what/ where your assignments may be. Travel can become extensive.

Continue developing the culture in the same manner and I am sure it will lead to continued growth and success

I joined Protiviti from the Big 4, and I do not regret my decision whatsoever.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant II in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant II in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance is amazing.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons.

Work doesn't deliver on promise during interviews

Current Employee - Consultant II in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant II in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Most of the Managers and below are great people and really enjoyable to work with
    -There is a lot of work to go around, so once you get busy you stay busy
    -Lots of opportunity to take charge and get responsibilities on projects that might be over your specific level

Cons

-Pay is low
    -Benefits aren't great
    -Computers and overall tech is average, at best.
    -Biggest issue is Management is focused on taking any work they can win. There is no discerning of what kind of work is 'good work' vs 'bad work' or work that we should be declining. We are hiring like crazy to handle all the work we are winning but we are winning terrible work that is beneath the skill set of many people here. We could be helping clients with much tougher problems than we are.
    -Promotions are very hierarchical and tied up with corporate politics. It is largely who you know and who likes you when it comes to promotions, not how well you perform. Much easier to be hired into a level than get promoted internally so if you are coming from industry, get the highest title you possibly can when you come in!

Stop focusing so much on the $$$ of work. All work is not created equal and it would be worth it to turn down some of the most menial work sometimes to enhance our brand and focus ourselves. We are hiring like mad to keep up with the work we are getting, but it is not work that the new people are excited about doing and it creates a culture of discontent and disappointment amongst the lower ranks since they see none of the money that comes from taking on the work (senior managers and above get sales credit).

Slow down, maybe don't hire so much and focus on getting work that will grow your employees skill sets and make them not hate 80% of the projects they get staffed on.

Manager

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to start a career. I've been here for 7 years and really enjoy the people I work with. The compensation is good and the work/life balance is good.

Cons

As with any consulting company, your put in new positions and required to adapt very quickly. This is an existing part of the job and I really enjoy it.

Great culture, fast growing

Former Employee - Consultant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Consultant in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Protiviti full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Protiviti has created an amazing culture and has maintained it despite how fast they are growing. They really spoil their employees with opportunities, perks and involvement. The people that work at Protiviti are down to earth and intelligent. I never felt mislead about the opportunities that were promised me.

Cons

Because they are fast growing the work gets stressful and time consuming. There is a lot of traveling involved but for some that is not a con but rather a pro.

Keep on making consultants feel like they are allowed to give input! That is one of the greatest things about this company.