Protiviti Reviews

556 reviews filtered by
3.9
Protiviti President and CEO Joseph A. Tarantino
Joseph A. Tarantino

Pros
  • Good work / life balance (40-45 hours / week is normal; lots of vacation days) (in 88 reviews)

• It's both a great place to start your career and a great place to stay (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Recruiting promises not kept (work-life balance, limited travel if needed) (in 35 reviews)

• The company has a focus on consulting, but does alot of internal audit work (in 27 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Left the Big 4 and haven't looked back since joining Protiviti.

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Significantly improved work-life balance. Competitive salary and incentive structure. Company culture is hands down the best I've experienced. A truly collaborative organization filled with smart people who genuinely care about the professional growth of their peers and want to help each other. It almost sounds too good to be true - but in actuality, this firm is peaking. With earnings as high as they've ever been in 2014, and the company making its mark in Fortune 100's Best Companies to Work For list (albeit, #100 is "last place" but let's put into perspective just how young this company is and how quickly it ended up on this prestigious list for the first time since the company's inception).

Cons

Hopefully, this streak of winning will continue for as long as possible. For now, I am enjoying the ride and re-invigorated with a new energy for my career - a certain spark that I felt when I first started out as a Big 4 consultant... only to see it quickly fade away and drown out in a sea of office politics, unclear performance review standards, two-faced management, subpar compensation/incentives, and broken career promises (i.e. "sure we'll try to staff you on XYZ project <or something that better aligns with your interests>... just stick it out with current ABC project <or something that is in demand and needs more bodies ASAP> for another year.") Some of these qualities are inevitable when it comes to consulting firms, and I'd be lying if I said Protiviti was an exception. However, what makes this firm awesome is that these are kept to the bare minimum. The firm continues to make a CLEAR effort to listen to its employees and REACT to the feedback provided, so that working here is a POSITIVE EXPERIENCE.

Keep up the great work, Senior Recruiting Specialists! You guys have an uncanny ability to spot talent and filter out the fakes. My only advice is as the firm continues to gain traction in the media and the pool of applicants grows exponentially, it may be more difficult and even overwhelming to separate the "Yes's" from the "No's"... but please continue to maintain the same standard of quality control used to screen and filter applicants properly. Watch out for sociopath managers who are toxic to any team they join, they will start a domino effect of employee abuse that is irreversible. This will severely taint the unique qualities that make Protiviti's employees phenomenal people to work with.

2. Consulting with balance

I worked at Protiviti full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Balance with work and family

Cons

Travel to client sites is exhausting every week

3. Protiviti will get you to the next level of your career with hard work, long hours, and engagement by senior management

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited opportunities, vast industry knowledge, great people

Cons

You may be staffed on a large project long term, not enough resources

Listen to your people; take action before people say they are leaving rather than using retention bonuses; grow the next set of leaders in the company as you were given that opportunity

5. A Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The Flexibility - I am able to work on projects I enjoy and am trusted to take care of my responsibilities while managing my own schedule.
    The Culture - We collaborate with our internal teams and with our clients. We have fun while we are working. We enjoy each others company.
    The Values - This company stands firm for its values and supports each individual to ensure we consider our values and promises day to day.

Cons

The ebb and flow of the market can result in periods of downtime followed by periods of increased work. This is mostly at the higher levels.

Continue to place a focus on supporting women in the workplace, especially working mothers, as well as parents, in general. It's a changing game, and we need to ensure that we can maintain our top talent, even those that are new parents, struggling to juggle home life and work life. Continue to support the work life blend that we preach.

6. All in all, I love working for Protiviti. Great way to learn a lot and a truly good company to work for.

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Protiviti (less than a year)

Pros

THE PEOPLE!!!! Haven't met one person I haven't liked.

Cons

Don't really tell you everything during recruiting.
    Salary could be more competitive with other consulting firms.

7. Many companies say that people are there number one resource - I know through action that Protiviti means it

Current Employee - Associate Director
    Current Employee - Associate Director

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Prior to coming to Protiviti, I had been with a large manufacturing company for 8 years, and have been with Protiviti for 8 years since. What I liked about Protiviti then is what I love now. Protiviti provides opportunities to develop a diverse set of skills and experiences, assuming you are visionary enough to recognize them and courageous enough to push yourself outside of your comfort zone. I have led projects in our Business Performance Improvement, Risk and Compliance, IT Consulting and Internal Audit & Financial Advisory practices over that time. While I have jumped at the opportunity to constantly learn, I have developed subject matter expertise in particular areas at the same time. Protiviti support structure, regardless your title and level, is outstanding - beyond my own drive, this support structure has been instrumental in my growth and success - while I always feel the pressure to bring my "A" game, I know that I don't know everything and that as I take risks and approach project challenges from different angles, my management team provides support, coaching, mentoring in a professional and honest manner.

Cons

Travel - not everybody likes to travel. Over the past few years, I have traveled almost every week for at least 4 days a week.

8. Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked with Protiviti for over 7 years and loved every minute. The leadership is accessible, down to earth and flexible. You are not overworked unnecessarily so that you have a balance between work and life. There is a conscious effort to help the community through service and charity as well as social events organized to build the culture amungst the employees. Compensation and bonuses are competitive and promotions are given to those that deserve it.

Cons

Travel is expected which may not be ideal for all employees.

N/A

Great Consultants, terrible management

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Other consultant/senior/manager level people are great to work with
    Lots of company sponsored social events (in Chicago office, not as much elsewhere)
    Drinking culture (pro or con based on your personal disposition...)

Cons

The project management level (Senior Managers/Directors) are mostly clueless on how do effectively run a project since most of them come from industry. In addition all the good lower level people leave before they hit that level so only people left are the less competent people who are nervous about getting fired and therefore not helpful in reaching down to the lower ranks and helping you progress.

Pay better so you can retain talent through the SM & Dir levels
    Also get your resource management department in order!!!

10. Amazing opportunities and culture makes work exciting

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My experience with Protiviti has been a very positive experience. I have found the culture amongst all levels and offices to be amazing. The people are truly what separate Protiviti from other firms. I like the aspect that the firm is growing...providing many opportunities across the firm. I have found that Management looks out for its people. Often you find that goal setting, etc. is just an "exercise", I feel Protiviti really works with you and identifies opportunities for you to advance. The advancement opportunities are clear and the path to success is straightforward.

Cons

The consulting world is not for everyone, and often those who do not succeed are not as Self Driven and motivied as others. You need to make/create some of your own opportunities initially to prove yourself. Internal networking is a big part of getting started. The benefits, specifically the 401K match are light from what I have experienced at other firms. Also, you don't have too much control over your scheduling...it is a customer service business and requests can't always be met.

11. Amazing Opportunity

Current Employee - IT Consultant
    Current Employee - IT Consultant

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (less than a year)

Pros

When you put together one of the fastest growing companies who has just hopped into the 100 best companies to work for with only 10 years of existence your bound to hit a good opportunity. Your guaranteed responsibility, a learning experience, and a friendly social culture. Also, the company is expanding very fast, so if you get in your likely to be guaranteed timely promotions.

Cons

Although you receive a lot of responsibility fast, the training program ends after the first two weeks. After that you are at the wit of your manager. Different managers have different training tolerances, some expect you to learn it all and some micromanage. Point is: you have to do a lot of it through simple observation, and many people don't know what they are doing when they start their career.

A lot of the projects are things auditing, SOX, and regulation compliance which can be dry.

Develop a better program to train new hires