Protiviti

Updated August 14, 2014

3.6

Protiviti President and CEO Joseph A. Tarantino
Joseph A. Tarantino

Pros
  • Good work / life balance (40-45 hours / week is normal; lots of vacation days) (in 75 reviews)

• Great place to start a career or grow (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Recruiting promises not kept (work-life balance, limited travel if needed) (in 32 reviews)

• Pay is lower than Big 4 accounting firms, however you typically work 40-50 hours a week, much less than (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

This is a career; not just a job

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

Pros

I have spent a substantial part of my working life at Protiviti and it is a very rewarding place to work. I enjoy working with my teammates and I enjoy working with our clients. We really have a great opportunity to make a difference at our clients and in our respective offices and work environments on a daily basis.

Cons

No organization in perfect, and neither is Protiviti. But they hard to make things better and do a good job of listening to their people and making changes proactively.

Stay focused on the culture of the firm as it grows. We are growing fast right now and the firm has a great opportunity to take the next step. Our open-door people centric culture has brought us to this step, we need to continue to stay focused on our people, especially integrating succesfully our newer consultants.

Able To Make An Impact

Current Employee - U S Campus Recruiting Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - U S Campus Recruiting Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

I have worked for two companies during my professional career, and have found myself extremely happy at Protiviti for the past seven years. When I graduated from school, I wanted a career that would support my professional and personal goals in life.

Professionally, I wanted to continue to progress, learn, be provided diverse opportunities, understand experiences that were provided to me, and be able to make an impact on the organization.

Personally, I wanted to work for a company who was committed to community service, work/life blend, and engaging their employees on multiple levels.

I believe Protiviti has assisted in helping me meet these various goals, along with many others. Each year I have had meetings with my career advisors for official development points and many unofficial mentoring relationships have grown with individuals who work in all aspects of our firms.

The accessibility of our leadership is something that I think sets our firm apart from all other organizations. I regularly am on calls with our Executive Vice President, have had multiple conversations with our CEO, and continue to get to know many geography, industry, and upcoming leaders in our firm. I appreciate that these individuals are not too busy to get to know me personally.

Cons

No organization in perfect and neither is Protiviti. I would say that our Leadership is not adverse to change, being that we have a long history as an organization, but that we have only been in existence since 2002, we are still developing the best approach to everything similar to a start-up. Protiviti addresses issues head-on, which I appreciate. If you have an idea, people at all levels are willing to listen, research and figure out if it fits within the desires and goals we are attempting to achieve as an organization.

Continue staying engaged with your employees and their needs.

Great experience for an intern looking to go into tech

Current Employee - Risk Technology Solutions  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Risk Technology Solutions in Chicago, IL

Pros

Culture is great, you get a chance to really discover yourself in the company, people are great. I enjoyed the clarity on the management ladder. You can really talk to the CEO and other people in the C-suite as an intern and I found that to be really powerful. Protiviti is a growing company and will undoubtedly continue for a while as they find niches in practices and gain more clients.

Cons

Sometimes, there isn't work to do. That may good for you to pick up on certification training but it comes with the industry so it is anticipated regardless of where you go to intern.

Try to promote the various practices during your challenges. From a tech intern standpoint, I found a lot of work to be geared towards internal audit interns. It helped me get the concepts but I hoped to get some more knowledge of what I was going to do, individually, for the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This is a People business

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Protiviti understands that management consulting is a People business and focuses on building relationships. There are also many opportunities to work at interesting clients across varied industries and project types. Working at Protiviti has given me the flexibility to pursue true life/work balance in a way that was not possible within the big 4.

Cons

Management consulting is a calling and not suited to everyone. If you do not enjoy working at Protiviti then chances are that you will not be happy at a different consulting firm either.

The Best Technology Risk Consulting Internship in the Block

Current Employee - Technology Risk Consulting  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technology Risk Consulting in New York, NY

Pros

As an Intern, I was given responsibilities comparable to those of full time new-hires. I was never given photocopies to make or papers to shred -- I was performing real internal audit work, and prepared deliverables for our clients. I was able to sit in on meetings with the client and participate in process mapping inquiries. My thoughts and propositions were always considered, and my ideas on opportunities for business process improvement were always taken Into consideration. I was a member of the team, not just an intern.

But perhaps what made me enjoy this internship the most were the people I met. Interns got very close together, and the culture and environment Is very positive, team-based and without a cut-throat mentality. The amount of after-work events provides you with many opportunities to create lasting bonds with these people. They're not just your co-workers, they're your teams, fellow interns, mentors, and select few almost become family. Further, Protiviti hires the best people, as evidenced by interns meeting up on the weekends in their own time to spend time together.

Overall, Protiviti features a very goal-based, yet team-oriented, mentality, shared by employees across the different offices, both the larger ones like New York, and smaller ones like Orlando. Their focus on the Best People and Culture cornerstone Is very apparent, and their loyalty to clients will ensure company success for years to come.

Cons

The company seems to have several of its lower-level employees leave before their 5-year anniversary. While this can be attributed to a variety of reasons, the main recurring cause seems to be that Consultants or Senior Consultants receive higher-paying offers from some of our clients. (Arguably a positive, seeing our clients like our work and people enough to try and hire them for themselves.) However, the company is working on this by providing employees with workshops to help them gain the most out of Protiviti's financial rewards, and it should be noted that getting promoted In Protiviti is not as challenging of a task as it is in larger firms.

Protiviti Response

Aug 13, 2014Director of Recruiting

Thank you for your feedback! We are very proud of our internship program and are so glad that you had a great experience with us this summer. We are laser focused on your points regarding retention ... More

Senior Manager

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Internal Audit
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Internal Audit

Pros

- Pay is consistent
    - Incentive Comp Plan

Cons

- Health plan options
    - No healthy rewards strategy
    - Lack of flexibility to work remotely

- Be more transparent about pay for younger members of firm. They had a presentation that went into additional things that are supposed to be pro's, but is currently less than what their competitors are providing. They feel competitors are the big 4, so they need to make sure they are doing enough to keep up with the benefits that the Big4 are providing.

- Made sure to say do not use Robert Half survey to determine what your pay should be, and we are a Sub of Robert Half

Great place for climbing the ladder

Current Employee - Senior Consultant II  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant II in Boston, MA

Pros

Managers are genuinely interested in the advancement of their personnel. Protiviti gives plenty of opportunities to better yourself, including certifications and attending conferences.

Cons

Salary not as high as the Big 4, but there is a reason. There is a good work life balance.

Keep up the good work.

Impressive, Growing IT, Risk and Internal Audit Services Company

Current Employee - Senior Consultant I  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant I in Chicago, IL

Pros

I've been at Protiviti for half a year now, and I can tell you it is a great place to work. I joined as an experienced hire, and it was exactly what I was looking for when made my transition. It has this neat culture and feel where its a large company, with large company resources, yet it has a small company feel. You are very much empowered to find your own way, explore topics that interest you, and constantly be learning. To get the most out of it though, you need to dedicate yourself to two lines of work. Internal work you do for you office to better the company, and Client work.
    For Client work you will see a variety of projects, some will be out side the line of service you belong to, this may upset some, but I think its a great opportunity to learn. Managers and Directors with years of experience in the field are available to support you, and will go out of their way to ensure you can do the job. You will have to do an audit at some point, it is the core of the business. Travel amount varies per person and skill set, some are road warriors, some never leave the office, or get a client a block away.
    For internal work, you need to do it this is how you can get noticed and get ahead. Step up and spend sometime improving the company or office, and you get to the chance interact with top management. Is there a loose 'old boys' network? Sure, but its open to anyone to join. You just have to earn you way in.
    The office environment is great, and there are constant activities to partake in such as sport teams, runs, happy hours, golf outings, social causes, volunteer work, etc. Usually subsidized in part or all by the company.
    Work life balance is great, weekends are truly days off.

Cons

Its has matrix structure, so you'll never have a single defined boss. Instead there are influencers who have positions higher than you, that you need to report to or impressed. As well projects goals and deliverables can be vague and it comes down to you to impose structure and figure out how to complete the project and what the end result looks like.
    If you are looking some place where you do the same thing every day, or looking for a place that gives a lot of direction or structure, this isn't it. This is place is a learn as you go, figure it out during the project, learn while delivering place. And they back you up with all the resources you need to learn and complete the project. You just have to figure it out and ask for the tools.

Keep it up! You've done a great job until now.

Exceptional Employee Development

Current Employee - Experienced Consultant  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Experienced Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

1. Extensive Training
    2. Experience in Multiple Industries
    3. Access to Management
    4. Competitive Pay and a Generous Bonus Plan
    5. Opportunity for Advancements
    6. Hard work is recognized and commended by management.

Cons

1. Benefits Plans including 401(k) match are sufficient, but they could be improved by providing more options and plans with reduced deductibles and co-pays.
    2. New Equipment (lap tops) takes too long to be distributed.

1. Continue to reward employees for their loyalty and hard work through awards and monetary compensation.
    2. Review benefits plans - Health Benefits are limited and deductibles are high. Consider providing options with lower deductibles. Additionally, the 401(k) match at year-end is not beneficial to the employees because they do not get to earn the interest on the money during the year.

Good Company- for those who like auditing

Current Employee - Technology Intern  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Technology Intern in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Friendly people, large company growth, competitive pay, intensive training throughout your career, ability to travel if desired. Lots of opportunity to interact with upper level management.

Cons

Lots of unplanned travel, more auditing than consulting. heavy reliance on certifications, less work life balance than advertised.

Be more clear that you are hiring auditors, not consultants.

Worked for Protiviti? Contribute to the Community!