Protiviti

Protiviti Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Protiviti President and CEO Joseph A. Tarantino

Joseph A. Tarantino

Pros
  • Good work / life balance (40-45 hours / week is normal; lots of vacation days)(in 75 reviews)

• Great place to start a career or grow(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Recruiting promises not kept (work-life balance, limited travel if needed)(in 32 reviews)

• Pay is lower than Big 4 accounting firms, however you typically work 40-50 hours a week, much less than(in 21 reviews)

Vibrant and collegial professionals helping clients solve their business problems

ProsGreat colleagues! Protiviti is small enough that you know your colleagues from many other offices (both in the US and Globally) but large enough to have recognition in the marketplace after just 12 years in business. From my knowledge, I believe our professionals are provided meaningful rewards and recognition, including but not limited to compensation (base and incentive comp/bonus), benefits (health, life, etc), and public recognition for contributions to the organization. I also like how the entire organization (including upper management) gives back to the local and global community through our iCare events and activities.

ConsI really can't think of any con's to share.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on the Promises to our People and Clients. If we continue to deliver on these promises, I believe we will continue to grow and improve our performance.

Technology Consultant Interview

Technology Risk Consultant (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsLeadership:
    Protiviti is great because of the people. The culture is super inviting and friendly. People truly care about you and are generally laid back. As a former intern and now a full-time employee, I have full confidence in the management. The upper management, Managing Directors, are great.

Compensation:
    As an intern, I was able to make more money than a full time because of the possibility of overtime.
    As someone who received an offer, I was offered more than my classmates who took Big 4 accounting jobs.

Experience:
    There is no other experience like the Protiviti internship. The Internship Challenge is great and presents an opportunity to meet the company's executive leadership team. I did the exact same work as the entry-level employees and actually got to serve in a role with a Manager and MDI worked with high-profile clients and got to travel as an intern. My friends at Big 4 firms were errand boys. The company is relationship-oriented, so developed great, personal relaitonships with Managing Directors and Managers- something that doesn't happen elsewhere.

Hours:
    Hours as an intern are just fine. 40-50 hours a week, though you want to get staffed more (as with any paid-internship) because of the possibility of overtime. Ultimately, the leadership really cars about you and will take care of you.

Future:
    The company is growing rapidly and is here to stay. The size of Protiviti makes it flexible enough to tailor-make solutions to clients. This situation allows the firm to naturally cultivate an entrepreneurial spirit. Also, the internal landscape is not set, so it feels like there is more ownership on the lower levels. There are opportunities to be visible and advance quickly. Other, more established firms don't have as much of an incentive to advance you. Also, the company is not short on resources (especially since it is owned by Robert-Half) so you don't run into any sort of the problems that boutique firms run into. Huge career development opportunities.

ConsThe compensation is better than Big 4, but there are firms that pay more (as a full time). The company has a focus on consulting, but does alot of internal audit work. As an intern, you may not get to stick around long enough to see the upside to internal audit (it's easy to get lost in the weeds). Not everything is straight consulting, so understand that. Internal audit is fine, but can be boring.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote the benefits of Protiviti's internal audit practice and explain the growth strategy. Highlight the growth in cthe client base and name-drop. Put the firm's good people in the spotlight, while at the same time convincing recruits that they won't sacrifice compensation for working with "cool people". Introduce recruits to managers and managing directors and highlight the fact that they are accessible. Show people the entrepreneurial side of the company. In sum, show people the weakness of Big 4s and the attractiveness of Protiviti.

Nice place to work if you interested in consulting, in the right career field or a college graduate.

Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMost of the leaders in the organization are very approachable and some are NOT.

ConsThe travel is definitely a challenge, especially if you have a family.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Internship Experience

Consultant (Current Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsWorking in teams can be challenging sometimes specially as an intern. At Protiviti, every team member will be willing to help you out from the first year consultants to the Managing Director. Work is challenging but very interesting, and it changes on a daily basis so it does not become redundant. You will be paired with a peer advisor, a career advisor, and an executive advisor, all who are more than willing to provide great advice to succeed in this career path. The company culture is extremely welcoming. I had a great experience and I accepted a full time position at the conclusion of the internship.

ConsIf you are unwilling to travel this can be an issue as many of the engagements require travel.

Understanding

Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsIf you are facing any personal problems, the people at Protiviti definitely understand. I was just recently hired and I had a personal and legal problem that I was facing, and they were very open about talking to me about this issue. They were discrete as well as empathetic to my circumstances and have supported me through the process.

ConsI am not sure what to write.

IT Consultant II

Internal Audit Consultant (IT) (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThis is an awesome place to work. Everybody is very nice and willing to help you success in your projects.

ConsStill awesome...I don't have anything bad yet... and I'm not sure if I will have it...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you doing ?

Excellent place to start a career

Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood benefits, nice people, don't work as much as other consulting companies

ConsCompensation is not as high as other big for consulting companies, normal consulting issues that people complain about but we all choose this lifestyle so no room for complaints

Good impression for new hires

Internal Audit Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsOverall a great impression so far. The NY campus recruiters conducted a smooth and quick operation, so much that it played a deciding factor on choosing Protiviti while considering other offers. The company has created a great experience for us new hires so far at the consultant challenge in Chicago.

ConsNothing negative to say at this moment.

Protiviti Director of Recruiting responded to this review

Jul 27, 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback! I am so glad that you had a great recruiting and onboarding experience with us. Good luck on your upcoming projects and we look forward to teaming with you to ... More

Great Training Opportunities for New Hires

Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsDuring the first few weeks of employment staff from all over the country come in to train all the new hires. You get a great opportunity to meet peers and higher-ups before you even start your first work engagement. In addition, right off the bat they put you in challenging situations to help your grow and learn.

ConsThere is a lot of knowledge that comes at your quickly and it can be difficult to get a full grasp on them in a short period of time.

Great experience here so far.

Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe facilitators and mentors are very welcoming and accommodating. I feel as if I'm appreciated and can bring something to the team.

ConsA lot of travel, but reasonable expectations thereafter. The atmosphere borderlines on fratty, but many of the consultants don't buy in.

Worked for Protiviti? Contribute to the Community!