Protiviti

Updated November 24, 2014
3.8

Protiviti President and CEO Joseph A. Tarantino
Joseph A. Tarantino

Pros
  • Good work / life balance (40-45 hours / week is normal; lots of vacation days) (in 85 reviews)

• It's both a great place to start your career and a great place to stay (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Recruiting promises not kept (work-life balance, limited travel if needed) (in 35 reviews)

• The company has a focus on consulting, but does alot of internal audit work (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall great company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is great; approximately 45 hours on average. This is exceptional compared to the big consulting firms or public accounting. Part of your bonus is based on your billable hours. The more you work, the bigger your bonus us. Due to its size, the firm still has a personal touch. Management shows genuine interest in you and is open to feedback. CEO and SVPs attend training sessions and make an effort to get to know you. Recruiting does a great job in hiring the right people. There's no one in my office I wouldn't grab lunch with or a beer after work.4 weeks of vacation which increases based on time with the company.

Cons

Although it is a consulting firm, most of the work I've been doing is very much centered around internal audits and SOX 404 compliance. Only few "real" consulting projects where you can actually add value to the client but I know this is based on the region you're working in. Benefits are okay but not great. I expected a better benefits package especially after management decided to revamp benefits and provide more options. 401(k) matching is only average and price of health care is still too high compared to top firms in the industry.

Keep doing what you're doing and make sure to maintain the small firm feel despite the continued growth we've been experiencing.

great culture, great leadership, strong growth

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Protiviti full-time

Pros

The people are what make Protiviti great. The culture of professionals they have developed directly correlates to the success of the business. There are plenty of opportunities to experiences a variety of industries and projects.

Cons

You may have little influence as to what/ where your assignments may be. Travel can become extensive.

Continue developing the culture in the same manner and I am sure it will lead to continued growth and success

Manager

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to start a career. I've been here for 7 years and really enjoy the people I work with. The compensation is good and the work/life balance is good.

Cons

As with any consulting company, your put in new positions and required to adapt very quickly. This is an existing part of the job and I really enjoy it.

Work doesn't deliver on promise during interviews

Current Employee - Consultant II in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant II in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Most of the Managers and below are great people and really enjoyable to work with
    -There is a lot of work to go around, so once you get busy you stay busy
    -Lots of opportunity to take charge and get responsibilities on projects that might be over your specific level

Cons

-Pay is low
    -Benefits aren't great
    -Computers and overall tech is average, at best.
    -Biggest issue is Management is focused on taking any work they can win. There is no discerning of what kind of work is 'good work' vs 'bad work' or work that we should be declining. We are hiring like crazy to handle all the work we are winning but we are winning terrible work that is beneath the skill set of many people here. We could be helping clients with much tougher problems than we are.
    -Promotions are very hierarchical and tied up with corporate politics. It is largely who you know and who likes you when it comes to promotions, not how well you perform. Much easier to be hired into a level than get promoted internally so if you are coming from industry, get the highest title you possibly can when you come in!

Stop focusing so much on the $$$ of work. All work is not created equal and it would be worth it to turn down some of the most menial work sometimes to enhance our brand and focus ourselves. We are hiring like mad to keep up with the work we are getting, but it is not work that the new people are excited about doing and it creates a culture of discontent and disappointment amongst the lower ranks since they see none of the money that comes from taking on the work (senior managers and above get sales credit).

Slow down, maybe don't hire so much and focus on getting work that will grow your employees skill sets and make them not hate 80% of the projects they get staffed on.

Job Title (what you're told): Consultant; Job Description (What you actually do): Auditor

Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Protiviti full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Relocation opportunities, cool people that you work with.

Cons

Don't pay high enough for the work you do. You have to drive A LOT, prepare to be in traffic sometimes 4 hours a day because the clients aren't in San Francisco.

You aren't a consultant, you most likely are just going to work on SOX Audits

Be more transparent with the work people are going to have to do.

I joined Protiviti from the Big 4, and I do not regret my decision whatsoever.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant II in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant II in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance is amazing.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons.

You define your own career path

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Office Culture - Protiviti hires really great, diverse, energetic people

Cons

Travel is a minimum of 50% and compensation/401k benefits are not that great.

Great culture, fast growing

Former Employee - Consultant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Consultant in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Protiviti full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Protiviti has created an amazing culture and has maintained it despite how fast they are growing. They really spoil their employees with opportunities, perks and involvement. The people that work at Protiviti are down to earth and intelligent. I never felt mislead about the opportunities that were promised me.

Cons

Because they are fast growing the work gets stressful and time consuming. There is a lot of traveling involved but for some that is not a con but rather a pro.

Keep on making consultants feel like they are allowed to give input! That is one of the greatest things about this company.

Great company that lives their values and solid leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The leadership is visible and personable and really value employees. The work-life balance has gotten better from when I first started as a program was recently rolled out to accommodate employee family responsibilities. There is also always opportunities for happy hours, golf outings, community service, additional training/certifications and ways to get involved outside of your normal day. You get what you put in.

Cons

There aren't many options for medical benefits; however, I hear this is changing in 2015.

The management in our office are very positive and makes it easy to want to work for them. My suggestion is to continue to try to make yourselves available and involved in the day to day culture.

It has been a great experience with Protiviti. This has been my best job.

I have been working at Protiviti

Pros

work culture, amazing people, work-life balance, activities. Overall Fun place to work

Cons

I dont have any cons to say.

Protiviti Response

Oct 24, 2014Global Talent Management Lead

Wonderful! We are so glad it has been such a great experience for you and thank you for sharing your feedback!