Protiviti

Updated August 27, 2014

3.7

Protiviti President and CEO Joseph A. Tarantino
Joseph A. Tarantino

Pros
  • Good work / life balance (40-45 hours / week is normal; lots of vacation days) (in 75 reviews)

• Great place to start a career or grow (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Recruiting promises not kept (work-life balance, limited travel if needed) (in 32 reviews)

• Pay is lower than Big 4 accounting firms, however you typically work 40-50 hours a week, much less than (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Protiviti is a premier consulting firm dedicated to exceeding client expectations and committed to it's employees.

I have been working at Protiviti full-time

Pros

Protiviti offers a challenging work environment with a wide range of clients from large Fortune 500 companies to smaller regional organizations. There is a diverse blend of industries and solution areas with which individuals can focus. Leadership at Protiviti is highly supportive of employee growth, both personally and professionally, and takes an active interest in individuals at all levels.

Cons

Protiviti is a young and fast-growing firm when compared to many of it's much larger competitors that have existed for decades. Therefore, certain aspects of infrastructure are currently being built out or do not exist. However, senior management appears to recognize this and has future plans to make improvements.

Relatively new here but have found that this is a unique place to work.

Current Employee - IT Consultant  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time

Pros

At Protiviti, one will find that they often have the opportunity to work with upper management, whereas, that is unheard of at other companies.

The employees are invested in and encouraged to continue learning with is excellent for a person's career. Many of the people within the company have vast knowledge of the industry that they gained from working here or from other companies that they came from. Upper management is pretty open and support of their team. They want to see you grow as it is good for you, the team, and the business.

Consulting is busy and sometimes requires long hours, but that is the nature of the business. We, by no means, work the same hours as Big 4 does. Work life blend is important and is encouraged.

With it being consulting, many of us don't get to interact with each other on a regular basis, so there are many activities that are set up for all of us to get together which usually involves volunteer days, dinner, lunch, coffee, etc.

There are plenty of opportunities to get on various project but you have to make sure to speak up to request those to get on it. Which means, don't expect everything to fall in your lap. But, that applies to life, as well.

Cons

As it is heavily in the IT Audit market, we are known but are working to get more well known.

Continue to grow the topics for each practice at training. This will help with people new to working full-time and consulting.

Continue to invest in the employees and you will find that they will invest in the company.

A Top Tier Internship/Career Launch

Former Employee - Intern  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Protiviti as an intern for less than a year

Pros

-A very well executed internship experience; exceeded expectations.
    -Real Work for interns; you will get placed on jobs that an entry level employee would be placed on.
    -Diversity in Jobs: you may not like each job you are on, but there is a very wide variety of jobs to.
    -You are treated with respect, the company leaders genuinely do care about their employees and want to see them thrive, and ultimately their firm thrive.
    -Focus on work/life balance, actually having weekends off, etc. This is extremely important to me, no one wants to work 7/6 days a week with long hours every week, which many other firms will make you do.
    -Significant freedom to shape career and see different industries.
    -Travel (if you like it)
    -Very cool, intelligent, friendly faces. Majority of the people who work here are easy to get along with, and are either young or young-spirited.

Cons

-Hours are long sometimes, it really depends on the client.
    -Tasks not always well defined; a lot of improvisation on the job will have to be done.
    -Travel can get very isolated and tiring, waking up at 3/4 AM for a flight and working a full day really takes its toll on you.
    -Not Well known (yet, I think Protiviti will be known and is growing very rapidly. I would put money on the fact that in a short amount of time a lot more people will know who Protiviti is because they are pretty unique).
    -Commute time can be really bad in LA, can be very draining.
    -A lot of expenses will be incurred. Most of the time they are paid for (namely travel expenses) but there are times you will pay things out of pocket.
    -A lot of administrative work has to be done (keeping track of hours, expenses, etc.) It will force you to be organized and timely.

Overall, for the most part, these cons are part of the consulting/IA/IT Audit industry rather than specifically Protiviti.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company for a stable career

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Protiviti full-time for less than a year

Pros

They have great policies regarding Travel, Time off, Mentoring and Inceptive pay transparency. The Managers and MDs are mostly fair, open and will work with you. Work pressure is ok and manageable and work-life balance is good. They have a great reputation in certain niche segments where they dominate.

Cons

They have a ok reputation in the market and not very know beyond certain niche segments. So getting new and exciting projects particularly in IT Consulting space is tough. Pay is less compared to big 5 but then work-life balance has to be considered.

Consider buying a company which focuses on IT consulting.

Working at Protiviti has increased my exposure to and knowledge of technologies and various business areas in IT.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Protiviti full-time

Pros

The Chicago office culture is great. Most individuals are in the office on Fridays allowing for good face time.
    Working at a consulting company of this size allows you to have visibility and interactions with all levels of management.
    Some roles will require you to travel quite a bit (if you like travelling).

Cons

Some roles will require you to travel quite a bit (if you dislike travelling).

Great Company & People, BEST training, Must like Auditing, Misleading Title

Current Employee - IAFA Technology Consultant  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - IAFA Technology Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Protiviti as an intern for less than a year

Pros

In my short time here, I've absolutely met some of the best people, which goes to the extent of saying that it may over power of the cons below. No one tried to up-sell the full-time position and gave some of the best feedback. The culture is great--if you don't like sports, you'll eventually start to like them. Everything is team based so if you enjoy working in teams this is a great opportunity. You'll get to go to an extremely well-designed consultant curriculum in Florida that may be THE most rewarding internship you'll get to go to. (Full time employees also get to go on these trainings for one-two weeks which is great in terms of professional development). It is a rapidly growing firm so job security seems very likely, 20 days vacation time (which is basically a month because of weekends). I had a great time with the company, but the cons weigh pretty heavily too (atleast for me).

Cons

Job Title Misleading. Being brought on as a tech consultant, I would have expected to work on designing solutions for clients and possibly implementing them based on clients, but all I did was perform risk assessments and other internal audit activities. Although you're constantly changing clients (ranging form a week to weeks to months), and exposure is great, I'm still figuring out if this is something I want to do full-time. Salary for a consultant is a bit on the low end too.

Change the Job Title. Increase the Full-Time Compensation. You're doing a great job with the company, and you've built a great company. Keep it up!

Able To Make An Impact

Current Employee - U S Campus Recruiting Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - U S Campus Recruiting Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have worked for two companies during my professional career, and have found myself extremely happy at Protiviti for the past seven years. When I graduated from school, I wanted a career that would support my professional and personal goals in life.

Professionally, I wanted to continue to progress, learn, be provided diverse opportunities, understand experiences that were provided to me, and be able to make an impact on the organization.

Personally, I wanted to work for a company who was committed to community service, work/life blend, and engaging their employees on multiple levels.

I believe Protiviti has assisted in helping me meet these various goals, along with many others. Each year I have had meetings with my career advisors for official development points and many unofficial mentoring relationships have grown with individuals who work in all aspects of our firms.

The accessibility of our leadership is something that I think sets our firm apart from all other organizations. I regularly am on calls with our Executive Vice President, have had multiple conversations with our CEO, and continue to get to know many geography, industry, and upcoming leaders in our firm. I appreciate that these individuals are not too busy to get to know me personally.

Cons

No organization in perfect and neither is Protiviti. I would say that our Leadership is not adverse to change, being that we have a long history as an organization, but that we have only been in existence since 2002, we are still developing the best approach to everything similar to a start-up. Protiviti addresses issues head-on, which I appreciate. If you have an idea, people at all levels are willing to listen, research and figure out if it fits within the desires and goals we are attempting to achieve as an organization.

Continue staying engaged with your employees and their needs.

Great experience for an intern looking to go into tech

Current Employee - Risk Technology Solutions  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Risk Technology Solutions in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Protiviti as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Culture is great, you get a chance to really discover yourself in the company, people are great. I enjoyed the clarity on the management ladder. You can really talk to the CEO and other people in the C-suite as an intern and I found that to be really powerful. Protiviti is a growing company and will undoubtedly continue for a while as they find niches in practices and gain more clients.

Cons

Sometimes, there isn't work to do. That may good for you to pick up on certification training but it comes with the industry so it is anticipated regardless of where you go to intern.

Try to promote the various practices during your challenges. From a tech intern standpoint, I found a lot of work to be geared towards internal audit interns. It helped me get the concepts but I hoped to get some more knowledge of what I was going to do, individually, for the company.

This is a People business

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Protiviti full-time for less than a year

Pros

Protiviti understands that management consulting is a People business and focuses on building relationships. There are also many opportunities to work at interesting clients across varied industries and project types. Working at Protiviti has given me the flexibility to pursue true life/work balance in a way that was not possible within the big 4.

Cons

Management consulting is a calling and not suited to everyone. If you do not enjoy working at Protiviti then chances are that you will not be happy at a different consulting firm either.

The Best Technology Risk Consulting Internship in the Block

Current Employee - Technology Risk Consulting  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technology Risk Consulting in New York, NY

I have been working at Protiviti as an intern for more than a year

Pros

As an Intern, I was given responsibilities comparable to those of full time new-hires. I was never given photocopies to make or papers to shred -- I was performing real internal audit work, and prepared deliverables for our clients. I was able to sit in on meetings with the client and participate in process mapping inquiries. My thoughts and propositions were always considered, and my ideas on opportunities for business process improvement were always taken Into consideration. I was a member of the team, not just an intern.

But perhaps what made me enjoy this internship the most were the people I met. Interns got very close together, and the culture and environment Is very positive, team-based and without a cut-throat mentality. The amount of after-work events provides you with many opportunities to create lasting bonds with these people. They're not just your co-workers, they're your teams, fellow interns, mentors, and select few almost become family. Further, Protiviti hires the best people, as evidenced by interns meeting up on the weekends in their own time to spend time together.

Overall, Protiviti features a very goal-based, yet team-oriented, mentality, shared by employees across the different offices, both the larger ones like New York, and smaller ones like Orlando. Their focus on the Best People and Culture cornerstone Is very apparent, and their loyalty to clients will ensure company success for years to come.

Cons

The company seems to have several of its lower-level employees leave before their 5-year anniversary. While this can be attributed to a variety of reasons, the main recurring cause seems to be that Consultants or Senior Consultants receive higher-paying offers from some of our clients. (Arguably a positive, seeing our clients like our work and people enough to try and hire them for themselves.) However, the company is working on this by providing employees with workshops to help them gain the most out of Protiviti's financial rewards, and it should be noted that getting promoted In Protiviti is not as challenging of a task as it is in larger firms.

Protiviti Response

Aug 13, 2014Director of Recruiting

Thank you for your feedback! We are very proud of our internship program and are so glad that you had a great experience with us this summer. We are laser focused on your points regarding retention ... More

Worked for Protiviti? Contribute to the Community!