Protiviti

Updated February 27, 2015
3.8

Protiviti President and CEO Joseph A. Tarantino
Joseph A. Tarantino

Pros
  • Good work / life balance (40-45 hours / week is normal; lots of vacation days) (in 88 reviews)

• It's both a great place to start your career and a great place to stay (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Recruiting promises not kept (work-life balance, limited travel if needed) (in 35 reviews)

• The company has a focus on consulting, but does alot of internal audit work (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Rapid growth; Strong management

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Growing rapidly, investing aggressively in growth. Financial services practice is expanding in depth and breadth of offerings. Bringing on strong talent from both industry and consulting. Management shares wins, losses, state of the practice, compensation, etc openly. Strongest collaboration within and across practice areas I have ever encountered. They truly set you up for success. Management has an open door policy - and means it. Integration with Robert Half has provided access to an enterprise sales team and some great connections. So far, work life balance seems strong and there is flexibility in working locations when not on an engagement.

Cons

The only 'cons' I can talk to are benefits and the integration of Protiviti into RHI's benefits. Benefits are extremely costly when compared to my previous employers. The integration into Robert Half's benefits programs has been messy -- enrollment records not making it over to vendors. Paid time off and number of company holidays is slightly less than the competition. The 401k match is one of the lowest I've seen. Finally, I would hope that there would be more line of sight to the CEO... practice leadership is visible, but Joe has not been.

Press recruiting departments to hire the best talent - faster!

Protiviti Response

Feb 20, 2015Director, Rewards and Recognition

Thank you for all of the positive feedback and we certainly are pressing those recruiters as hard as we can (and hiring more recruiters as well)! We are proud of our culture and so grateful you ... More

Satisfying and energetic work environment with great people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Protiviti full-time

Pros

The people that you encounter and work with on a daily basis is the biggest pro. Management has a vision, is transparent, and supports the growth and development of people under them. The consultants and seniors are energetic, intelligent, and friendly. The team atmosphere of "let's figure this out and design a valuable solution" is the norm.

Cons

The largest challenge is related to the fast growth environment. Long hours and multiple competing priorities can stretch the employees thin. Also, there is no dedicated back-office support for things like marketing, sales, or accounting.

The local MDs are very transparent, but the greater regional, national, and global leads could improve. The upgrade to a new accounting system can't come soon enough.

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant II in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant II in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Protiviti

Pros

The culture is excellent, Protiviti is full of kind people.

Cons

If you have a niche skill you might only get to work on those types of engagements.

More communication with less senior consultants.

I have been working at this company for a number of years now.

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company culture is great, everyone knows each and socializes frequently. My supervisors are great people to work for.

It is very clear on how get a promotion and/or earn a significant bonus.

There is a great deal of flexibility on how to spend your time.

Cons

There is no transparency on how one's base pay is calculated.

The type of work is specific to various geographical areas. So if you want to work on something that the company does, then you have to live in the city where that type of work is being sold or become part of a national team that is almost always traveling.

Consider emphasizing more to clients the concept of allowing the team to work remotely. Improve how resources for projects are found. Allow for work to be posted so that consultants can try to get on projects themselves.

Protiviti exceptionally professional

Current Employee - SAP Controls in New York, NY
    Current Employee - SAP Controls in New York, NY

I have been working at Protiviti

Pros

I have found Protiviti to be exceptionally professional in establishing a relationship based on mutual needs and in making sure the client I am serving on their behalf receives the best possible support.

Cons

I have had limited exposure to Protiviti internal culture, as my contract opportunity has been as a direct loan staff.

Great work life balance- known by name, not by number.

I worked at Protiviti

Pros

Great culture across all offices.

Cons

Depending on practice solution too much or too little travel.

Great energy, very people oriented, plenty of growth opportunity

Current Employee - Associate Director
    Current Employee - Associate Director

I have been working at Protiviti full-time

Pros

They've been named one of the top companies to work for, which is a testament to leadership, colleagues, and culture. Leadership preaches work-life balance and ensures their folks are engaged both professionally and socially. Lots of growth opportunity both in terms of expansion and movement up the ladder. At times feels very entrepeneurial - much different than a larger consulting organization and you really see the fruits of your labor day in and day out.

Cons

Still trying to build structure around some processes, but they understand that and acknowledge the need to put more structure in place where applicable.

Don't lose identity as the company grows - remember the reasons why Protiviti was ranked highly by your resources.

Great team approach, intelligent self-motivated people with a focus on exceptional client service

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Surrounded by intelligent people who want to deliver the highest quality service possible. Aggressively building deeper expertise in all areas. At the same time, there is a focus on work/life balance. Less stressful than the Big 4. Team oriented firm.

Cons

Tons of new clients/projects means demanding schedule but aggressively hiring to relieve the stress. Company's focus on work/life balance intends to help there.

Continue to improve communications to help consultants who spend so much time on the road stay connected and in tune with corporate culture/initiatives.

Great place for personal and professional growth

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Upper Management is more open, accessible and interactive with all levels of staff than most other consulting firms;
    - Company's reputation and market share continue to grow at high rate;
    - Most colleagues are great to work with and have a high level of competency, without much office politics;
    - Teams are not silo'd but engagements often integrate members from different solutions, fostering knowledge sharing and learning

Cons

- finding a good balance between satisfying larger client needs and staff's individual growth

Great place to start your career

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing access to upper level management, ability to own your career, great people who have turned into life long friends - even after some have left, tons of opportunity for internal involvement, top notch mentor/advising program, flexibility with schedule when not traveling, steady raises and bonuses if you work hard and align yourself w/ the right people, transparent view into how to get promoted, positive culture

Cons

Type of work/projects aren't always super interesting, sometimes accept work that is not rewarding to Protiviti's people in order to work w/ certain types of clients, travel can get tough depending on your client/manager, must be willing to travel to do well here