Protiviti

Updated March 2, 2015
3.8

Protiviti President and CEO Joseph A. Tarantino
Joseph A. Tarantino

Pros
  • Good work / life balance (40-45 hours / week is normal; lots of vacation days) (in 88 reviews)

• It's both a great place to start your career and a great place to stay (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Recruiting promises not kept (work-life balance, limited travel if needed) (in 35 reviews)

• The company has a focus on consulting, but does alot of internal audit work (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to grow in your career.

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is great. Very supportive environment all the way from the MDs to the consultant.

Cons

Salary isn't comparable to other consulting companies.

Like family

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Protiviti (more than a year)

Pros

Protiviti is still a small place, kind of like 'Cheers,' where everybody knows your name. I have enjoyed unparalleled support from across all levels of professional, accompanied by an active interest in me and my development (both professional and personal).

Cons

Onboarding is weak, because the company is so tight. Mentor selection is critical, and haphazard. Assimilating can be difficult. Newcomers must be patient with development of relationships and expectations. Protiviti is actively addressing this issue by revamping onboarding for experienced hires and those who join off-cycle.

Protiviti Response

Mar 2, 2015VP-People & Culture

Thank you for sharing your experience at Protiviti. What you are experiencing is a fantastic and practical benefit of working in an organization where people know and respect each other.

Let me
    ... More

Always Growing at Protiviti

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Love to travel, meet customers at all levels in an organization, challenged daily on the job, exceeds expectations, great team chemistry

Cons

Travel is a pro and con. Never home for some of things needed to do during the week, yet you learn to appreciate time so much more.

Find out what people want and help them achieve it. Continue to have passion about what we do and if people make a difference, then make a difference for the people.

The difference between Protiviti and other firms.

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work life balance - I have worked for other firms and the difference at Protiviti is clearly the work life balance. The company values the fact that employees have a life outside of work, therefore there is no busy season as you would typically find in an accounting firm that would require 60+ hours. A typical work week at Protiviti is 40-45 hours.

Cons

Fortunately, I can't say that I have come across anything negative. Protiviti is truly a great place to start your career with a variety of different opportunities. The amount of travel will depend on which office you are based out of since some offices have a strong Internal Audit / IT Audit base.

Satisfying and energetic work environment with great people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Protiviti full-time

Pros

The people that you encounter and work with on a daily basis is the biggest pro. Management has a vision, is transparent, and supports the growth and development of people under them. The consultants and seniors are energetic, intelligent, and friendly. The team atmosphere of "let's figure this out and design a valuable solution" is the norm.

Cons

The largest challenge is related to the fast growth environment. Long hours and multiple competing priorities can stretch the employees thin. Also, there is no dedicated back-office support for things like marketing, sales, or accounting.

The local MDs are very transparent, but the greater regional, national, and global leads could improve. The upgrade to a new accounting system can't come soon enough.

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant II
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant II

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Variety in assignments, at least for me.
    Good support from local and global resources.
    Good compensation and secondary benefits.
    Travel.

Cons

Travel.
    SOx testing can become exhausting. :-)

Great team approach, intelligent self-motivated people with a focus on exceptional client service

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Surrounded by intelligent people who want to deliver the highest quality service possible. Aggressively building deeper expertise in all areas. At the same time, there is a focus on work/life balance. Less stressful than the Big 4. Team oriented firm.

Cons

Tons of new clients/projects means demanding schedule but aggressively hiring to relieve the stress. Company's focus on work/life balance intends to help there.

Continue to improve communications to help consultants who spend so much time on the road stay connected and in tune with corporate culture/initiatives.

Great energy, very people oriented, plenty of growth opportunity

Current Employee - Associate Director
    Current Employee - Associate Director

I have been working at Protiviti full-time

Pros

They've been named one of the top companies to work for, which is a testament to leadership, colleagues, and culture. Leadership preaches work-life balance and ensures their folks are engaged both professionally and socially. Lots of growth opportunity both in terms of expansion and movement up the ladder. At times feels very entrepeneurial - much different than a larger consulting organization and you really see the fruits of your labor day in and day out.

Cons

Still trying to build structure around some processes, but they understand that and acknowledge the need to put more structure in place where applicable.

Don't lose identity as the company grows - remember the reasons why Protiviti was ranked highly by your resources.

Rapid growth; Strong management

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Growing rapidly, investing aggressively in growth. Financial services practice is expanding in depth and breadth of offerings. Bringing on strong talent from both industry and consulting. Management shares wins, losses, state of the practice, compensation, etc openly. Strongest collaboration within and across practice areas I have ever encountered. They truly set you up for success. Management has an open door policy - and means it. Integration with Robert Half has provided access to an enterprise sales team and some great connections. So far, work life balance seems strong and there is flexibility in working locations when not on an engagement.

Cons

The only 'cons' I can talk to are benefits and the integration of Protiviti into RHI's benefits. Benefits are extremely costly when compared to my previous employers. The integration into Robert Half's benefits programs has been messy -- enrollment records not making it over to vendors. Paid time off and number of company holidays is slightly less than the competition. The 401k match is one of the lowest I've seen. Finally, I would hope that there would be more line of sight to the CEO... practice leadership is visible, but Joe has not been.

Press recruiting departments to hire the best talent - faster!

Protiviti Response

Feb 20, 2015Director, Rewards and Recognition

Thank you for all of the positive feedback and we certainly are pressing those recruiters as hard as we can (and hiring more recruiters as well)! We are proud of our culture and so grateful you ... More

Great Consulting Firm to Work For

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Protiviti

Pros

The firm strives to promote personal growth by encouraging employees to come up with creative ideas and enabling them to think in a manner that creates a positive experience with the clients.

Unlike Big -4 consulting firms, the management is very engaged with employees at all levels and strives to create a great experience for its employees.

Cons

If you do not want to travel then this company is not for you - in that case -- none of the consulting firms are.

Keep on promoting a very community oriented culture that the management has already started working on.