Protiviti

Updated December 16, 2014
3.6

Protiviti President and CEO Joseph A. Tarantino
Joseph A. Tarantino

Pros
  • Good work / life balance (40-45 hours / week is normal; lots of vacation days) (in 88 reviews)

• It's both a great place to start your career and a great place to stay (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Recruiting promises not kept (work-life balance, limited travel if needed) (in 35 reviews)

• The company has a focus on consulting, but does alot of internal audit work (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Good variability in work

I have been working at Protiviti

Pros

Large focus on consulting with travel dependent on the project.

Cons

The travel requirements can be exhausting.

Continue to focus on employee career advancement.

Great people, empty promises, boring work.

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-People
    -Work life balance is solid.

Cons

-Compensation is low compared to the brutally boring nature of the work.

-Perks are becoming less and less (i.e. In-flight wifi perk is gone, etc.)

-The work is unbelievably BORING in the internal audit practice. New consultants (internal auditors) are misinformed at the Consultant Challenge in that they work on a mock project with a management consulting objective (i.e. turnaround a company with declining sales which is very interesting). Want to know what I really do? I pick up a red pencil and test SOX controls the same as last year. Absolutely horrid and DYING. Companies are beginning to build up in-house internal audit groups.

-No motivation to work hard. Despite being given a 'Distinguished' rating on a performance review, I was held back from promotion because I was 3 months shy of the 2 year unwritten minimum. What's my incentive to work hard when i'm going to just be held back in order to be promoted the same time as my peers who don't work nearly as hard? I also was not given any constructive criticism to explain why I was held back.

-I voiced my opinion numerous times about my interest in moving into a specific practice, but that request was not honored. I got lost in the weeds so to speak. Why? Because there is a constant battle among management for resources since numbers are dwindling. What happens is if you tell your career and executive advisors you'd like experience in a specific area, they are reluctant to give you what you want since they won't be able to use you on their projects. It's a farce and in turn, people leave.

-My advice is to silo your practices. Do not recruit people for the Internal Audit & Financial Advisory practice and label them as "Consultants" because they aren't. They are internal auditors. By using the term consultant, you attract a specific type of person. You attract the A-type personalities who have watched too many episodes of House of Lies. Then after a while they hate ticking and tying and leave. Then the MDs are left wondering why. Everyone in the firm knows the Risk & Compliance practice is the bread winner. They get paid more and work on more interesting projects, but that comes at a cost: nearly 100% travel and getting pigeonholed on one long-term project.

-The Big 4 model works. Advisory practice = consultants. Audit practice = staff/associate. Be transparent up front in explaining the work you do and you will see those turnover numbers decrease.

-Stop stifling the wishes of your younger employees. Protiviti is growing, but because of this they are attracting go-getters and A-types. Don't be naive in thinking these individuals are stupid, because they aren't. They can understand when something is the truth and when it is plain BS. And when they are being fed BS disguised as truth, they get upset and leave.

Great Internship Experience!!

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Protiviti

Pros

The Protiviti Summer Internship was truly a worthwhile and fulfilling experience. I learned a ton being an intern, had great professional development opportunities and met a lot of great co-workers! Protiviti also did a great job making the Summer Internship very fun with numerous events and activities.

Cons

Other the course of my 8 week internship I did not have any cons. Protiviti really provided us with the resources and tools to be successful.

Protiviti Response

Dec 12, 2014U.S. Campus Recruiting Lead

Thank you for your feedback! I am glad to hear that you had a meaningful internship experience. We work hard to provide our interns with a true "peek" into life at Protiviti so that you can learn ... More

Not what I expected.

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-The only truly good reason to work here is the people. Most of the people here are really nice and helpful.
    -Do not work much overtime.

Cons

-Work is extremely boring and repetitive.
    -Work is easy and non-challenging.
    -You do not learn anything from this job.
    -No skills will be learned that will be useful in another job, unless wanting to be in internal audit.
    -Incentive programs are not very good, bonuses are low.
    -Most work relating to SOX Testing.
    -You may have little influence as to what/ where your assignments may be.
    -Most people select their jobs based on the people, but this is an exception. No matter how great the people here are the work will make you miserable because it is so slow and boring.

Protiviti Response

Dec 12, 2014Texas Campus Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you are enjoying the people you are working with and that you find Protiviti’s work/life blend to be positive. In regards to your project work, I would ... More

A perfect example of how not to handle transition

Former Employee - Consultant II in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Former Employee - Consultant II in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I worked at Protiviti full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Learning Opportunities
    Client Interaction and Networking

Cons

After the takeover from the US management, focus has shifted more on people movement and there seems to be a power struggle atleast in the middle management.
    The decisions taken by the company are unilateral without taking into consideration the future of the employees.

More transparency is required in the decisions taken. Consider more rewarding HR policies and salary that justifies the work done at Consultant Incharge level and below.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Flexible
    - Drive own career
    - Variety
    - Great people

Cons

- Work can be mundane and not challenging

- Keep up the great work!
    - Get a bigger office in Chicago so I can have a permanent seat.

Great place to start your career

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Protiviti is a great place to start for an entry level Finance, Accounting, or MIS major. The people around you are those who have lives and yet are skilled workers. You usually work a normal 8-5, unless deadlines are approaching. You definitely don't work the crazy hours that external auditors do (9 AM to 1 AM).

Cons

The work you do is based off of whatever need clients have. You can be working a fun project, or a really boring one. You may also deal with clients who are cooperative or those who are making your life difficult. Also, schedules are dependent upon the client. Lastly, changeability is the ability to stay booked on clients. This can affect your bonus if you are not working for clients for a significant amount of time. You still get paid salary, but you become an expense to the company, so try to stay active and let your managers know that you'll be available if the time comes.

Try to make schedules as flexible as possible (specifically Fridays) and fix bonuses to not be based off of changeability.

Bad Management

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have worked in the Technology solutions department. Its a stable job

Cons

No trainings provided. technology on which we work is very old. No new challenges. Long working hours

Protiviti's Work Exprience, ME practise

I have been working at Protiviti

Pros

Great place to start your career if you are fortunate to have a good understanding manager.
    Great Projects and hence alot of work and many clients which is good experience.
    Good amounts of training.

Cons

1. Poor salaries. Often they underpay their employees whereas the MDs mints a lot of money.
    2. Work life balance is completely ruined. They expect you to work on a 24 * 7 basis and pay you peanuts for the same. They expect you to work on holidays and as well after working hours.
    3. They have a screwed up set of HR team who don't know what they are doing or why they exist
    4. Some level of the management treats employees as dogs.
    5. They expect you to complete all projects 2 weeks before time in order to increase their profitability. However the same is NEVER reflected in bonus and appraisals

1. Please treat employees as assets.
    2. Please award employees fairly. Punish those who falter and praise those who do good work (Please reflect the same in Salary too as your praises mean nothing if not reflected monetary) Don't paint everyone with single brush.
    3. Please consider people who low income for appraisals as well. Here the rich is getting richer and the poor is getting poorer.

Overall great company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is great; approximately 45 hours on average. This is exceptional compared to the big consulting firms or public accounting. Part of your bonus is based on your billable hours. The more you work, the bigger your bonus us. Due to its size, the firm still has a personal touch. Management shows genuine interest in you and is open to feedback. CEO and SVPs attend training sessions and make an effort to get to know you. Recruiting does a great job in hiring the right people. There's no one in my office I wouldn't grab lunch with or a beer after work.4 weeks of vacation which increases based on time with the company.

Cons

Although it is a consulting firm, most of the work I've been doing is very much centered around internal audits and SOX 404 compliance. Only few "real" consulting projects where you can actually add value to the client but I know this is based on the region you're working in. Benefits are okay but not great. I expected a better benefits package especially after management decided to revamp benefits and provide more options. 401(k) matching is only average and price of health care is still too high compared to top firms in the industry.

Keep doing what you're doing and make sure to maintain the small firm feel despite the continued growth we've been experiencing.