Protiviti

Updated August 27, 2014

3.7

Protiviti President and CEO Joseph A. Tarantino
Joseph A. Tarantino

Pros
  • Good work / life balance (40-45 hours / week is normal; lots of vacation days) (in 75 reviews)

• Great place to start a career or grow (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Recruiting promises not kept (work-life balance, limited travel if needed) (in 32 reviews)

• Pay is lower than Big 4 accounting firms, however you typically work 40-50 hours a week, much less than (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

The Best Technology Risk Consulting Internship in the Block

Current Employee - Technology Risk Consulting  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technology Risk Consulting in New York, NY

I have been working at Protiviti as an intern for more than a year

Pros

As an Intern, I was given responsibilities comparable to those of full time new-hires. I was never given photocopies to make or papers to shred -- I was performing real internal audit work, and prepared deliverables for our clients. I was able to sit in on meetings with the client and participate in process mapping inquiries. My thoughts and propositions were always considered, and my ideas on opportunities for business process improvement were always taken Into consideration. I was a member of the team, not just an intern.

But perhaps what made me enjoy this internship the most were the people I met. Interns got very close together, and the culture and environment Is very positive, team-based and without a cut-throat mentality. The amount of after-work events provides you with many opportunities to create lasting bonds with these people. They're not just your co-workers, they're your teams, fellow interns, mentors, and select few almost become family. Further, Protiviti hires the best people, as evidenced by interns meeting up on the weekends in their own time to spend time together.

Overall, Protiviti features a very goal-based, yet team-oriented, mentality, shared by employees across the different offices, both the larger ones like New York, and smaller ones like Orlando. Their focus on the Best People and Culture cornerstone Is very apparent, and their loyalty to clients will ensure company success for years to come.

Cons

The company seems to have several of its lower-level employees leave before their 5-year anniversary. While this can be attributed to a variety of reasons, the main recurring cause seems to be that Consultants or Senior Consultants receive higher-paying offers from some of our clients. (Arguably a positive, seeing our clients like our work and people enough to try and hire them for themselves.) However, the company is working on this by providing employees with workshops to help them gain the most out of Protiviti's financial rewards, and it should be noted that getting promoted In Protiviti is not as challenging of a task as it is in larger firms.

Protiviti Response

Aug 13, 2014Director of Recruiting

Thank you for your feedback! We are very proud of our internship program and are so glad that you had a great experience with us this summer. We are laser focused on your points regarding retention ... More

Senior Manager

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Internal Audit
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Internal Audit

I have been working at Protiviti full-time

Pros

- Pay is consistent
    - Incentive Comp Plan

Cons

- Health plan options
    - No healthy rewards strategy
    - Lack of flexibility to work remotely

- Be more transparent about pay for younger members of firm. They had a presentation that went into additional things that are supposed to be pro's, but is currently less than what their competitors are providing. They feel competitors are the big 4, so they need to make sure they are doing enough to keep up with the benefits that the Big4 are providing.

- Made sure to say do not use Robert Half survey to determine what your pay should be, and we are a Sub of Robert Half

Exceptional Employee Development

Current Employee - Experienced Consultant  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Experienced Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Protiviti full-time

Pros

1. Extensive Training
    2. Experience in Multiple Industries
    3. Access to Management
    4. Competitive Pay and a Generous Bonus Plan
    5. Opportunity for Advancements
    6. Hard work is recognized and commended by management.

Cons

1. Benefits Plans including 401(k) match are sufficient, but they could be improved by providing more options and plans with reduced deductibles and co-pays.
    2. New Equipment (lap tops) takes too long to be distributed.

1. Continue to reward employees for their loyalty and hard work through awards and monetary compensation.
    2. Review benefits plans - Health Benefits are limited and deductibles are high. Consider providing options with lower deductibles. Additionally, the 401(k) match at year-end is not beneficial to the employees because they do not get to earn the interest on the money during the year.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company- for those who like auditing

Current Employee - Technology Intern  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Technology Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Protiviti as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Friendly people, large company growth, competitive pay, intensive training throughout your career, ability to travel if desired. Lots of opportunity to interact with upper level management.

Cons

Lots of unplanned travel, more auditing than consulting. heavy reliance on certifications, less work life balance than advertised.

Be more clear that you are hiring auditors, not consultants.

Interesting

Current Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Protiviti full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work environment, helpful supervisors and collegues.

Cons

Admins are taken advantage of.

Allow for lower ranks to have higher growth opportunities available to them.

This is a career; not just a job

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Protiviti full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have spent a substantial part of my working life at Protiviti and it is a very rewarding place to work. I enjoy working with my teammates and I enjoy working with our clients. We really have a great opportunity to make a difference at our clients and in our respective offices and work environments on a daily basis.

Cons

No organization in perfect, and neither is Protiviti. But they hard to make things better and do a good job of listening to their people and making changes proactively.

Stay focused on the culture of the firm as it grows. We are growing fast right now and the firm has a great opportunity to take the next step. Our open-door people centric culture has brought us to this step, we need to continue to stay focused on our people, especially integrating succesfully our newer consultants.

Great place for climbing the ladder

Current Employee - Senior Consultant II  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant II in Boston, MA

I have been working at Protiviti full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Managers are genuinely interested in the advancement of their personnel. Protiviti gives plenty of opportunities to better yourself, including certifications and attending conferences.

Cons

Salary not as high as the Big 4, but there is a reason. There is a good work life balance.

Keep up the good work.

Vibrant and collegial professionals helping clients solve their business problems

I have been working at Protiviti full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great colleagues! Protiviti is small enough that you know your colleagues from many other offices (both in the US and Globally) but large enough to have recognition in the marketplace after just 12 years in business. From my knowledge, I believe our professionals are provided meaningful rewards and recognition, including but not limited to compensation (base and incentive comp/bonus), benefits (health, life, etc), and public recognition for contributions to the organization. I also like how the entire organization (including upper management) gives back to the local and global community through our iCare events and activities.

Cons

I really can't think of any con's to share.

Continue to focus on the Promises to our People and Clients. If we continue to deliver on these promises, I believe we will continue to grow and improve our performance.

Nice place to work if you interested in consulting, in the right career field or a college graduate.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Protiviti full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most of the leaders in the organization are very approachable and some are NOT.

Cons

The travel is definitely a challenge, especially if you have a family.

Technology Consultant Interview

Current Employee - Technology Risk Consultant  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Technology Risk Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Protiviti as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Leadership:
    Protiviti is great because of the people. The culture is super inviting and friendly. People truly care about you and are generally laid back. As a former intern and now a full-time employee, I have full confidence in the management. The upper management, Managing Directors, are great.

Compensation:
    As an intern, I was able to make more money than a full time because of the possibility of overtime.
    As someone who received an offer, I was offered more than my classmates who took Big 4 accounting jobs.

Experience:
    There is no other experience like the Protiviti internship. The Internship Challenge is great and presents an opportunity to meet the company's executive leadership team. I did the exact same work as the entry-level employees and actually got to serve in a role with a Manager and MDI worked with high-profile clients and got to travel as an intern. My friends at Big 4 firms were errand boys. The company is relationship-oriented, so developed great, personal relaitonships with Managing Directors and Managers- something that doesn't happen elsewhere.

Hours:
    Hours as an intern are just fine. 40-50 hours a week, though you want to get staffed more (as with any paid-internship) because of the possibility of overtime. Ultimately, the leadership really cars about you and will take care of you.

Future:
    The company is growing rapidly and is here to stay. The size of Protiviti makes it flexible enough to tailor-make solutions to clients. This situation allows the firm to naturally cultivate an entrepreneurial spirit. Also, the internal landscape is not set, so it feels like there is more ownership on the lower levels. There are opportunities to be visible and advance quickly. Other, more established firms don't have as much of an incentive to advance you. Also, the company is not short on resources (especially since it is owned by Robert-Half) so you don't run into any sort of the problems that boutique firms run into. Huge career development opportunities.

Cons

The compensation is better than Big 4, but there are firms that pay more (as a full time). The company has a focus on consulting, but does alot of internal audit work. As an intern, you may not get to stick around long enough to see the upside to internal audit (it's easy to get lost in the weeds). Not everything is straight consulting, so understand that. Internal audit is fine, but can be boring.

Promote the benefits of Protiviti's internal audit practice and explain the growth strategy. Highlight the growth in cthe client base and name-drop. Put the firm's good people in the spotlight, while at the same time convincing recruits that they won't sacrifice compensation for working with "cool people". Introduce recruits to managers and managing directors and highlight the fact that they are accessible. Show people the entrepreneurial side of the company. In sum, show people the weakness of Big 4s and the attractiveness of Protiviti.

Worked for Protiviti? Contribute to the Community!