Protiviti Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Great place to learn Consulting, even if your long term goal is not to be a full time consultant forever.

Current Employee - Associate Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Protiviti (More than 8 years)

Pros

Let's face it, we all do "consulting" in various aspects of our lives from time to time. Protiviti is a great place to learn or hone this important skill. There is a good variety of clients, projects and co-workers, each of which offers different learning experiences. There is good management support. Just about the time you think you've really messed something up, management can and does help to figure out creative ways to solve the problem. Protiviti has excellent advancement opportunities for those who want to step up. Can be a little slow at the very beginning, but stars are quickly recognized and encouraged to shine. In fact, especially for campus hires, the stars are identified long before hire, via our recruiting process. Entrepreneurial environment - If you have a new idea, whether is but an extension to an existing line of business, a process improvement, a tool to make everyone's job easier - it is likely to be supported. Teamwork - varied people and skills are available throughout the firm to fill in gaps in knowledge or capacity - just have to communicate the need, and help is usually found. Continuous improvement - "good enough" isn't good enough for Protiviti - we are constantly striving to improve!

Cons

There are really no major cons that I have experienced. I have a personal requirement to look around at least every two years to make sure I'm still happy - I've done that four times now and the answer keeps coming up the same - YES!

Advice to Management

Keep doing the same things. Recent initiatives toward "Getting to Exceptional" are really making an impact!

2. Great place for professional growth

Current Employee - Experience Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Experience Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Protiviti (More than a year)

Pros

1. Opportunity to work in various industries. 2. Flexible work schedule 3. Good health benefits, Average base salary, Excellent Bonus Structure 4. The culture/people are great and 99% of people are easy to work with and will help you with your career.

Cons

1. Promotions are not consistent across locations - Some locations are more restrictive in promoting individuals 2. 401(k) is not matched until year end. 3. Some individuals get stuck on one engagement and do not get the opportunity to experience the diverse client base.

Advice to Management

Continue to seek feedback and make adjustments as necessary. Match employee 401(k) contributions each pay period.

Protiviti Response

Jun 19, 2015 – VP-People & Culture

Thank you for your feedback! We recently announced to US employees that we are looking at the 401(k), so stay tuned! On consistency across locations, our RMDs and HR Leaders review ... More

senior consultant

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Miami, FL

I have been working at Protiviti

Pros

Great People, clients, and opportunities!

Cons

Busy and lots of travel

Just Keeps Getting Better

Current Employee - Senior IT Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior IT Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at Protiviti are the best part of working here - there will always be a couple bad apples / outliers in any organization but the overwhelming majority of employees genuinely care about their clients, their people, the quality of their work, etc. There are a ton of passionate, intelligent people who are as fun to kick it with outside of work as it is working on an engagement together. Fast paced environment sometimes proves challenging for formalized training but a multi-tiered mentoring system, considerable employee training funding and direct on the job training provides more than enough growth potential for those that take advantage. Incredible growth provides tons of opportunities for those that are willing to earn them. Firm has its roots in Internal Audit / Sox Audit but uses those service lines as stepping stones for the many other specialized solution offerings currently offered. Firm has had 4 years + of quarterly growth and doesn't seem to be slowing down - recruiting is always a top priority for management. Firm is in great position to continue expanding and based on positioning & strength of core offerings doesn't experience too much direct competition from any other specific firms. Many options to focus on a specialization once 1-2 years of service is under your belt. Travel preference is respected when possible... sometimes there are months without any significant traveling, other times months on end out of town/state.

Cons

First year consultants often find themselves staffed on Sox audits - varies by office location. Sox isn't the most challenging/engaging work and many consultants find it a far cry from what they expected starting at a consulting firm. The word "Audit" has a negative connotation to some. Sox audits and other internal audit engagements provide sound consulting fundamentals within the consultants domain (Business Process / Tech / Risk & Compliance) and those that embrace the work their are assigned can quickly move out of Sox into higher demand solutions. Starting compensation isn't amazing, 401k match amounts to 2% of annual salary MAX, new hires from college only get a half year bonus during first full year of employment (Jan - Dec) due to inflexible enrollment windows into bonus plan. Hours can add up at times to a significant weekly total (55+) Firm has such a need for additional resources to meet growth that some individuals with less than stellar performance / attitude / work ethic can get away with performing below expectations without repercussion. Seems VERY difficult to get fired - you have really suck at your job for a prolong period of time.

Advice to Management

You're doing a great job! Keep executing on the strategic plans that have put the firm in the position it is currently. As growth continues and earnings steadily increase continue to share with the firm's greatest asset - it's people.... PAY US MORE!!!!

Great company

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is very laid back and enjoyable. It is clear the company cares to invest in there employees

Cons

Protiviti is a smaller company so it doesn't have the marketplace recognition of some its large competitors.

Advice to Management

Management should focus on steady growth and increased brand recognition while maintaining the great culture.

Respected International Consulting Firm

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You are not just a number - do well and you will stand out and be highlighted for your positive contributions.

Cons

It is consulting, so if you don't like travel, may not be a good fit.

Advice to Management

Keep pressing forward and striving for stretch goals - its worked in the past in that Protiviti has achieved record growth for multiple years.

Decent alternative to Big 4

Current Employee - Senior Consultant II in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant II in New York, NY

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Strong company culture - Good work-life-balance (depending on project)

Cons

- Middle management lacks leadership skills. - Limited training programs (attend training once per level) - Salaries lower than Big 4 - Benefits severely worse than industry - Limited true "consulting engagements" (most work is internal audit based, even within the Risk & Compliance Practice)

Advice to Management

Reward your employees for their hard work, especially in times of significant growth and incredible financial results.

Senior Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The People (I know it's cliche). The people at Protiviti are amazing. Folks are not only intelligent and hard working, but also personable and always down to have a good time. I have worked in a couple of other firms and funds and have never met so many genuinely awesome people who I actually like seeing after work or on the weekends. I think it's rare to be at a firm, meet 100's of people and not find one that you dislike. - Career Growth. Protiviti is a growing firm so there is a lot of room for mobility so long as you work hard, don't complain too much and put in your time. Flexibility is a two-way street. - Senior Management is accessible and it is easy to develop lasting relationships with individuals significantly higher up. - It's just a generally fun place to be. I look forward to going to the office when I get a chance because, well, it's a nice office and love meeting the people there. It's a friendly place. - We love that senior management gets us involved with new initiatives and gives us a chance to work on some strategic service lines.

Cons

- Salary.With recent wins, Protiviti is moving into a new league. The pay should be commensurate with Big 4 Advisory groups and not Big 4 Audit. Our talent will continue the migration to Big 4 for the larger salaries if Protiviti does not at least try to address this issue. We get that giving everyone a raise to Big 4 advisory levels is not reasonable. Please at least address the issue however. HR stating that the salary is competitive to the market is meaningless when the market is hiring our talent for 20 to 30K more. - Protiviti should decide if it really wants to be a consulting firm or a contracting firm. We know that the body shop projects keep on the lights, but if the firm is to attract and retain top talent, then more consideration needs to be paid to what types of engagements these individuals are sent to. - Our 401k is somewhat of a joke in the industry With that said-- for anyone reading this review-- please do consider that even with the cons, most of us sincerely enjoy our time at Protiviti.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Keep fostering a culture of entrepreneurship and camaraderie. Keep being accessible. It really is a pleasure to work at Protiviti. The wins we receive as a firm and in our inbox consistently make us proud to work here. I have not met anyone at this firm who does not love the people. Please do address the concerns we have about salary and benefits. Other than that... it really is an amazing place to work.

Protiviti Response

Jun 26, 2015 – HR Leader

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Protiviti. I agree with all your comments related to our people and the culture that Protiviti has worked so hard to build and is so ... More

Great Company Culture

Current Employee - Revenue Recognition Analyst in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Revenue Recognition Analyst in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Protiviti (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very transparent management, very upbeat and casual work culture

Cons

Limited possibilities for advancement, limited contact with upper management

Advice to Management

Give opportunities to employees to work on new material, advertise opportunities for advancement, hire a more pro-active HR department

Good culture, but rough entry.

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Protiviti

Pros

Vacation time seems to be significantly above average for US employers. Excellent communication between management and consultants. Work culture is excellent.

Cons

Salary for entry-level employees is below market rate.

RSS Feed </> Embed