Protiviti

Updated December 16, 2014
3.7

Protiviti President and CEO Joseph A. Tarantino
Joseph A. Tarantino

Pros
  • Good work / life balance (40-45 hours / week is normal; lots of vacation days) (in 88 reviews)

• It's both a great place to start your career and a great place to stay (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Recruiting promises not kept (work-life balance, limited travel if needed) (in 35 reviews)

• The company has a focus on consulting, but does alot of internal audit work (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Exceptional Employee Development

Current Employee - Experienced Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Experienced Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Protiviti full-time

Pros

1. Extensive Training
    2. Experience in Multiple Industries
    3. Access to Management
    4. Competitive Pay and a Generous Bonus Plan
    5. Opportunity for Advancements
    6. Hard work is recognized and commended by management.

Cons

1. Benefits Plans including 401(k) match are sufficient, but they could be improved by providing more options and plans with reduced deductibles and co-pays.
    2. New Equipment (lap tops) takes too long to be distributed.

1. Continue to reward employees for their loyalty and hard work through awards and monetary compensation.
    2. Review benefits plans - Health Benefits are limited and deductibles are high. Consider providing options with lower deductibles. Additionally, the 401(k) match at year-end is not beneficial to the employees because they do not get to earn the interest on the money during the year.

Good Company- for those who like auditing

Current Employee - Technology Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Technology Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Protiviti as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly people, large company growth, competitive pay, intensive training throughout your career, ability to travel if desired. Lots of opportunity to interact with upper level management.

Cons

Lots of unplanned travel, more auditing than consulting. heavy reliance on certifications, less work life balance than advertised.

Be more clear that you are hiring auditors, not consultants.

This is a career; not just a job

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have spent a substantial part of my working life at Protiviti and it is a very rewarding place to work. I enjoy working with my teammates and I enjoy working with our clients. We really have a great opportunity to make a difference at our clients and in our respective offices and work environments on a daily basis.

Cons

No organization in perfect, and neither is Protiviti. But they hard to make things better and do a good job of listening to their people and making changes proactively.

Stay focused on the culture of the firm as it grows. We are growing fast right now and the firm has a great opportunity to take the next step. Our open-door people centric culture has brought us to this step, we need to continue to stay focused on our people, especially integrating succesfully our newer consultants.

Interesting

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work environment, helpful supervisors and collegues.

Cons

Admins are taken advantage of.

Allow for lower ranks to have higher growth opportunities available to them.

Great place for climbing the ladder

Current Employee - Senior Consultant II in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant II in Boston, MA

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Managers are genuinely interested in the advancement of their personnel. Protiviti gives plenty of opportunities to better yourself, including certifications and attending conferences.

Cons

Salary not as high as the Big 4, but there is a reason. There is a good work life balance.

Keep up the good work.

Technology Consultant Interview

Current Employee - Technology Risk Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Technology Risk Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Protiviti as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Leadership:
    Protiviti is great because of the people. The culture is super inviting and friendly. People truly care about you and are generally laid back. As a former intern and now a full-time employee, I have full confidence in the management. The upper management, Managing Directors, are great.

Compensation:
    As an intern, I was able to make more money than a full time because of the possibility of overtime.
    As someone who received an offer, I was offered more than my classmates who took Big 4 accounting jobs.

Experience:
    There is no other experience like the Protiviti internship. The Internship Challenge is great and presents an opportunity to meet the company's executive leadership team. I did the exact same work as the entry-level employees and actually got to serve in a role with a Manager and MDI worked with high-profile clients and got to travel as an intern. My friends at Big 4 firms were errand boys. The company is relationship-oriented, so developed great, personal relaitonships with Managing Directors and Managers- something that doesn't happen elsewhere.

Hours:
    Hours as an intern are just fine. 40-50 hours a week, though you want to get staffed more (as with any paid-internship) because of the possibility of overtime. Ultimately, the leadership really cars about you and will take care of you.

Future:
    The company is growing rapidly and is here to stay. The size of Protiviti makes it flexible enough to tailor-make solutions to clients. This situation allows the firm to naturally cultivate an entrepreneurial spirit. Also, the internal landscape is not set, so it feels like there is more ownership on the lower levels. There are opportunities to be visible and advance quickly. Other, more established firms don't have as much of an incentive to advance you. Also, the company is not short on resources (especially since it is owned by Robert-Half) so you don't run into any sort of the problems that boutique firms run into. Huge career development opportunities.

Cons

The compensation is better than Big 4, but there are firms that pay more (as a full time). The company has a focus on consulting, but does alot of internal audit work. As an intern, you may not get to stick around long enough to see the upside to internal audit (it's easy to get lost in the weeds). Not everything is straight consulting, so understand that. Internal audit is fine, but can be boring.

Promote the benefits of Protiviti's internal audit practice and explain the growth strategy. Highlight the growth in cthe client base and name-drop. Put the firm's good people in the spotlight, while at the same time convincing recruits that they won't sacrifice compensation for working with "cool people". Introduce recruits to managers and managing directors and highlight the fact that they are accessible. Show people the entrepreneurial side of the company. In sum, show people the weakness of Big 4s and the attractiveness of Protiviti.

Vibrant and collegial professionals helping clients solve their business problems

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great colleagues! Protiviti is small enough that you know your colleagues from many other offices (both in the US and Globally) but large enough to have recognition in the marketplace after just 12 years in business. From my knowledge, I believe our professionals are provided meaningful rewards and recognition, including but not limited to compensation (base and incentive comp/bonus), benefits (health, life, etc), and public recognition for contributions to the organization. I also like how the entire organization (including upper management) gives back to the local and global community through our iCare events and activities.

Cons

I really can't think of any con's to share.

Continue to focus on the Promises to our People and Clients. If we continue to deliver on these promises, I believe we will continue to grow and improve our performance.

Nice place to work if you interested in consulting, in the right career field or a college graduate.

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the leaders in the organization are very approachable and some are NOT.

Cons

The travel is definitely a challenge, especially if you have a family.

Internship Experience

Current Employee - Consultant in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working in teams can be challenging sometimes specially as an intern. At Protiviti, every team member will be willing to help you out from the first year consultants to the Managing Director. Work is challenging but very interesting, and it changes on a daily basis so it does not become redundant. You will be paired with a peer advisor, a career advisor, and an executive advisor, all who are more than willing to provide great advice to succeed in this career path. The company culture is extremely welcoming. I had a great experience and I accepted a full time position at the conclusion of the internship.

Cons

If you are unwilling to travel this can be an issue as many of the engagements require travel.

Understanding

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you are facing any personal problems, the people at Protiviti definitely understand. I was just recently hired and I had a personal and legal problem that I was facing, and they were very open about talking to me about this issue. They were discrete as well as empathetic to my circumstances and have supported me through the process.

Cons

I am not sure what to write.

Protiviti Response

Aug 5, 2014VP-People & Culture

Thank you for sharing your experience. We strive to support our people across the whole spectrum of their lives, not just work. I'm glad you were able to tap into our culture of openness and get the ... More