Proto Labs Reviews

Updated April 4, 2015
9 reviews filtered by
2.9
Victoria Holt

Great environment, smart people, poor opportunity for career growth

I worked at Proto Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Energetic and positive atmosphere. Lots of smart people, lots of young people encouraged to act on ideas. Had great support and budget for new product research and experimentation.

Cons

As the company grew, started to see a lot of inefficiency and narrowing of roles. Not much opportunity for advancement, especially for women.

Sales department needs a new look

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Plain, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Plain, MN

I worked at Proto Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great experience in the design and manufacturing world
    Great opportunity to learn how to create long term customer relationships
    Overtime is paid
    Good resume builder

Cons

Sales quota is unrealistic. All depends on the accounts the managers give to you. One rep could have an account base that has ordered $5 million dollars the previous year and another rep could have an account base that has ordered $1 million dollars in the previous year, however, your quota will be the same.

Commission payout is a joke. You are responsible for a possible of thousands of dollars monthly and possible million dollars annually and they pay the lowest percent of sales ever seen for new customer sales. They don't pay retention and a majority of your sales and work is usually focused on retention customers. Makes no sense. You can sell $1 million in a year and only make maybe $10 thousand dollars in commission. Underpaid for the work expected of you.

Job is only good for 1 year 6 months max until you are done with your full ramp up. Once you hit full ramp numbers, unless you got lucky with your accounts, you will barely hit 60% of your quota, guaranteed. Which means you will be put on a performance plan that also includes unrealistic expectations. two words -- Revolving door

Advice to Management

Start paying better commission to make sales people happy. This should be a $100,000 job if the rep hits their quotas.

Evaluate each sales person's account base and create sales plan quota accordingly. Then, designate commission percentages based on the quantity of dollars being brought in. i.e. rep's accounts purchase $1 million dollars annually then pay 4-6% if the reps accounts purchase $5 million dollars annually then pay 1-3% commission. make it fair for all sales reps

Create better critical feedback to help sales reps grow professionaly

Proto Labs is the best place I have ever worked. They truly live their values of Teamwork, Achievement and Trust.

I have been working at Proto Labs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have had the opportunity to learn, grow and develop during my time at Proto Labs. I am able to part of the direction of the company to support future growth. My work life balance is great. Proto Labs employees live, breath and display their values or Teamwork, Achievement and Trust. Because of this Proto Labs is the best place I have ever worked. The culture is great!

Cons

Proto Labs is growing very quickly. Communication is important and should not be forgotten.

HR breaks protocol/does not know how to utilize talent/does not value an education or drug-free workplace

Former Contractor - Build Technician in Maple Plain, MN
    Former Contractor - Build Technician in Maple Plain, MN

I worked at Proto Labs as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The skills I learned in the machine shop that could be transferable for a do-it-yourselfer. They have been on some "Best Employer to Work For" lists, but I have a feeling once the public catches wind of how they increase profits at the expense of their employees, it will no longer be the case. Also, the repetitive, manual labor will give you a work ethic and remind you how the grass isn't always greener.

Cons

I temped here in the build dept. hoping to backdoor it into a sales position, as my background is in mktg & sales (including people management). I could not even obtain an informational interview w/ HR! I was finally able to reach an HR rep over the phone in regard to a position I was qualified for. She did not seem even remotely interested in learning more about me, only why I had left each previous employer. She broke HR protocol by disclosing to coworkers what my educational background was. Once they found out I had a degree, they moved me to a different dept. for less pay without any reason whatsoever. Prior to this, a coworker was feeling me out on my educational background and said, "a while back they found out a guy working back here had a degree & the next thing you know, he was gone. We thought he had left, but they moved him to a different dept. You know we have other positions here like shipping, etc." Well no kidding sherlock, you think I didn't apply for any other positions while temping? I worked my butt off for this company 12 hour days with 50 minutes of breaks (including lunch)/day & that is how they treat you? Also, a coworker of mine said they do not drug test regularly (except during offer stage), otherwise they wouldn't be able to keep the slave labor going. I am very thankful and fortunate to have gotten out of here when I did. I feel sorry for the people who work extremely hard for peanuts!

Advice to Management

Have a serious discussion with HR on:
    -professionalism
    -response time/communication/transparency
    -being respectful
    -utilizing talent
    -wages/working conditions ($10.50/hour with 50 minutes of break including lunch over a 12 hour shift?!?!, not leaving factory a second before shift is over, no sitting for certain departments, etc.)
    -encouraging continuing ed
    -drug-free workplace

Cool people, boring/unsatisfying job...

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Proto Labs (Less than a year)

Pros

Base salary is fair for the work load
    -Good medical benefits
    -Employee stock option plan
    -The lots of great people to work with
    -In Sales you get paid for overtime.
    -Not micromanaged as much as some inside sales positions.
    -Very, very causal work environment

Cons

Commission structure is horrible, very low incentives.
    -You don’t get paid on retention.
    -You only get paid on new business you bring in and you only get commission off that account for a year.
    -No one on the sales team makes six figures. NO ONE
    - Mgmt. is very deceiving about the total salary you will be making in a sales position.
    -No room to move up in company.
    -Has had horrible turn around in the last year in the sales dept.
    -No sick days, comes out of your paid vacation time.
    -Not a very professional work environment.
    -Mgmt has no idea what they are doing.

Great place to work for those who enjoy challenges

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Plain, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Plain, MN

I have been working at Proto Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Base salary is fair, all employees receive a year end bonus payout based on company growth
    - Advancement opportunities are excellent for most departments, such as manufacturing, operations, and development
    - Medical benefits for employees are better than most companies
    - Corporate culture is laid back and flexible; not micro-managed, management is very accommodating for scheduling time off, dress code is jeans and a t-shirt for most employees, even upper management/execs rarely wear ties
    - Management looks for the strengths of their employees and works to put their employees in a position to excel, rather than focusing on deficiencies
    - Cafe (in HQ building) and vending machines are subsidized by the company and food quality is excellent
    - Always cool stuff: not a month goes by where all employees aren't treated to a lunch, picnic, or free stuff (t-shirts, etc.)

Cons

- Departments are physically & culturally separated; left hand often does not know what the right is doing, stark differences in management style from department to department
    - No sick days, all time off comes out of PTO (but PTO accrues at a higher rate than anywhere else I've worked)
    - Adding family or children to medical benefits is expensive, but no reduction in benefit coverage

Advice to Management

Time in position requirements to advance are bogus! When an employee meets all other requirements to advance, let them.

Not the best company, not the worst company.

Former Employee - Sales in Maple Plain, MN
    Former Employee - Sales in Maple Plain, MN

I worked at Proto Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Decent base salary
    -Good medical benefits
    -Employee stock option plan
    -The lots of great people to work with (below mgmt. level).
    -In Sales you get paid for overtime.
    -Not micromanaged as much as some inside sales positions.
    -Very, very causal work environment.
    -Laid back dress code, you can wear jeans and a sweatshirt every day.

Cons

-Commission structure is horrible, very low incentives.
    -You don’t get paid on retention.
    -No one on the sales team makes six figures.
    -Everyone only gets a 20min paid lunch break.
    -No room to move up in company.
    -Has had horrible turn around in the last year in the sales dept.
    -No sick days, comes out of your paid vacation time.
    -Not a very professional work environment.
    -Mgmt has no idea what they are doing.
    -Executives are very disconnected from employees.

Advice to Management

Mgmt rarely listens to the concerns of its employee’s.

Only money matters

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Telford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Telford, England (UK)

I worked at Proto Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly staff and an interesting environment to work in

Cons

The company cares little about its people and their personal development. They do not promote people or recognise potential

Advice to Management

Take care of the good staff or they will leave like I did

10. Best company I've worked for, by far

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Proto Labs full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As a technical employee, I've had great opportunities for advancement and promotion. This truly is a company full of people who are "smart and get things done." Even when work is challenging, it's almost always fun as well, so even after many years here I still look forward to coming in every day.

Cons

As the company grows, it will likely be difficult to maintain the "coolness" and friendly atmosphere that we currently enjoy. In addition, the company now must focus on keeping shareholders happy.

Advice to Management

Pay employees what they're worth or risk losing them to companies that will -- especially as we continue paying executives more and more.