Provide Commerce

Updated October 19, 2014
3.9

Provide Commerce CEO Chris L Shimojima
Chris L Shimojima

Pros
  • Very flexible 24/7 schedule (for PT customer service agents) (in 6 reviews)

• The company does their best to make the work environment as uplifiting and up beat as it can during stressful times (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance is off for a lot of folks (in 3 reviews)

• Senior Management makes it difficult to respect them (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work for temporary customer service employment.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Provide Commerce as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The company is very great to it's employees. They take into consideration the stressfulness of the customer service phone lines during peaks of holiday seasons. The company does their best to make the work environment as uplifiting and up beat as it can during stressful times. They provide meals at peak times. Also provide help for difficult calls. Training is paid and extensive.

Cons

The temporary employement can be very short (sometimes only a week or two). Hard to use as a reference for furture interviews and resumes because the customer service department is so large and you do not have a real supervisor that knows you.

Awesome Company Work At!

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Provide Commerce as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Company takes really good care of their seasonal employees (Ex. breakfast, lunch, and dinner catering during peak season, 10 minutes professional massages at end). They go above and beyond to create an extremely supportive/involved work environment to keep employees happy and enthusiastic.

Cons

Didn't receive confirmation of end of seasonal assignment date (Realized it when I didn't receive the next weeks schedule). Some days can be a bit monotonous, though rare.

The environment at Provide is amazing with amazing people to work with. The only strong suggestion I have is to give seasonal employees forewarning when their assignment ends to better prepare them for the transition into their next job (until the next season, of course!)

Great People!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Provide Commerce as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Folks will pull together to get things done. Very supportive, just ask a coworker and the support is there if it can be given.

Cons

Different companies within the group have various cultures. Need to regard that more. All sites are not alike!

Don't just tolerate diversity--actively seek it out, bring it to the table as a voice in generating decisions and reap the benefits.

For the last six years I've worked in the Merchandising department.

Current Employee - Merchandising in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandising in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Provide Commerce full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Casual and friendly culture, good relationships, nice gym, large desks, two monitors, large kitchen, good people, hard work ethics.

Cons

Heavy politics, not enough growth opportunities, privileges and perks removed, heavy workload.

Consider assessing where politics are heaviest and better manage these contributing individuals and attitudes. Train young and new managers to support direct hires by creating growth opportunities.

Provide Commerce goes above and beyond to satisfy their customer and they comfortably accommodate their employees.

Former Employee - Call Center Agent - Seasonal in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Call Center Agent - Seasonal in San Diego, CA

I worked at Provide Commerce part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Monthly incentives, free products, continuous training, very nice work environment and aesthetics.

Cons

Being QA'd by someone who doesn't fit the requirements of the position or who isn't aware of cultural differences in communication.

Takes good care of their employees.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Provide Commerce part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work environment, work-life balance, benefits, catered meals on seasonal basis.

Cons

Training could be a bit longer, more hires from seasonal positions.

More organization and communication.

Small Business Expectations at a Large Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Provide Commerce full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, visionary leadership, growth opportunities

Cons

Patriarchal
    Lack of ownership
    Lack of support

Fun and Busy!!

Former Employee - Customer Service in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in San Diego, CA

I worked at Provide Commerce as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Very Flexible hours! Great Second job! during holidays they feed you like crazy! what job serves breakfast, lunch and dinner to all employees for the whole week? Provide Commerce does!

Cons

It's Seasonal! In order to be kept you have to work ridiculous hours like 3:00am-4:00am you must be available to work when every they need you! Not good for your health! the body needs propewr rest!

If your QA scores are over 90% and employee gets great Kudos constanly from customers be worth keeping? Give more opportunities to remain employed and not make it a inside secret!

Mostly Positive Experience

I have been working at Provide Commerce full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company really cares about it's people. Flexible work schedules.

Cons

Lack of department leadership, communication and understanding of how to get things done.

Good if you need fast cash for a temporary period of time

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Provide Commerce part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Upbeat, professional employees.
    Very flexible 24/7 schedule (for PT customer service agents).
    Each assignment is 3-4 wks, so if you don't like it for whatever reason, it will soon come to an end.
    Very professional but relaxed interview with 'If... then... what would you do?' or 'Give me an example of...' type questions.
    Easy access to/from facility via several highways. Massive outdoor parking is plentiful & there's a security guard patrolling all day.
    Kitchen is accessible to all employees, with free coffee, cocoa, tea & milk/sugar; microwave; fridge; multiple vending machines offering better snacks like cereal/milk or apples.

Cons

Low pay. Schedule is flexible, but you can be assigned to work a night, followed by a day shift, then that same evening. It can be too taxing for some, so narrow your available accordingly.

2 full training days (or it can be broken up PT over 3-4 days) is at breakneck speed, no coddling of any kind, you sink or swim. My classroom had 90 students & 2 female instructors, so sometimes hearing them was impossible when they were at the opposite end of the giant training room & assistance was thin, which made it taxing to keep up. Also, in my class, multiple chairs, phones & computers were broken, but the 5 affected students were left on their own to figure it out (including crawling on the floor to fix jacks, chair wheels or fidget with phone wires, etc), so they fell behind by 10-20 min in this super intensive training.

You are absolutely THROWN onto the phones, with 2-day's training. It's terrifying. Major mistakes were made by a few in my class, floor mngrs had their hands full trying to assist 40 newbies at a time & tension was high all around. Several potential customers called in with specials & floor mngrs said it wasn't an option... turned out it was as I head the special offer on the radio on my way home from training. You must raise your hand & put customers on hold if you need help... because we flooded the floor with newbies, I had 2 people hang up on me while waiting too long.

Class training should last at least another full day. Many of us still had questions at the end of class & scant time to finish lessons because the giant class as a whole kept falling behind. Although all of us were working at breakneck speed, it just wasn't enough time to finish each module before we were supposed to be onto the next. Most of us came in 1-1/2 to 2-hrs early the following day (sans pay) & cut lunch in half both days, just to get caught up. Who designed that awful time frame for training? It wasn't the best training I've ever had... due to time constraints, not the instructors, who were great, in fact. Also, the instructors should ensure their training room is in optimal working order. I felt bad for the 5 people who had broken equipment. Further, 2 of them were on either side of me so as they were frantic & nervous, noisily turning chairs upside down to fix them or crawling underneath the table to fidget with cables & mumbling to themselves about their issues, they made many of us nearby fall behind as we couldn't hear the instructors for 20-min... it was VERY disruptive & EASILY fixable on the company's part.

The best part of the training was the time we spent on the phone, wired in with an experienced agent. Add an entire day of that to the training schedule. However, it was only 20-30 min at most, because the class was behind in computer lessons. Our agent got only problem calls which she handled with ease & grace. What great calls for us newbies to hear. I've had call center training in the past & being wired in with an experienced agent was far longer than 30-min! I realize they're PT/temp jobs, but the grim faces of the newbies after training wasn't encouraging & may reflect why some choose not to return for future temp assignments... it's too fast.

Pay $15/hr. In fact, I went through the training, passed my final tests with great scores, then told the instructor I'd changed my mind & wouldn't accept the position, because I just didn't feel I had enough training time & the stress wasn't worth it for $7/hr take home pay. I hope this feedback is helpful in some way.