Providence College

CEO

IT Help Desk Work Study

Former Employee - Helpdesk Consultant in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Helpdesk Consultant in Providence, RI

I worked at Providence College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best work study job on campus! You learn very practical computer skills and get to try out the newest gadgets that come in the department. The supervisor is great, very understanding and sociable. Fantastic work hours and good pay for the amount of work you have to do. Bosses are very good to their employees and appreciate their help with the petty problems you solve for them. You can make friends while working and once you get good at your duties people will think you are a computer wiz.

Cons

Work scheduling is base on how long you have been there. Some work hours are very late and you may get bored. At times peers and management maybe very unprofessional. Some calls are just stupid. Your friends will ask you to fix their computer which may get annoying.

Have some REAL training for the employees.

Graduate Assistant

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Providence, RI

I have been working at Providence College part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not overwhelmed with amount of work, got to study and do hw most days, laid back, pays for tuition and $700/month stipend.

Cons

Not many cons other than low pay but thats already expected

PC is a decent place to work.

I worked at Providence College

Pros

Small community. Dedicated staff.

Cons

Strict policies. Low diversity

Diversify

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Providence, RI

I have been working at Providence College full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

PC is a good place to be. It is a great environment with many cultural activities going on. The grounds and buildings are beautiful. It is always enriching to be in the company of students who want to learn and professors who want to teach. It offers many workshops to keep one up-to-date in the newest technology.

Cons

A common complaint is lack of faculty and staff parking on campus. Although it has gotten better if you don't need in/out access during the course of the workday.

Supportive environment committed to transforming self and society.

Current Employee - Yoga Instructor in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Yoga Instructor in Providence, RI

I have been working at Providence College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Supportive staff and management committed to supporting student's interests. Friendly environment that values creative thinking.

Cons

No real cons that I can think of as long as student worker maintains a positive and hardworking attitude.

Just like any other on-campus student job.

I worked at Providence College

Pros

On-campus jobs are great for beer money.

Cons

Pay does not reflect your skills

My experience has been mixed. Some good, and some bad.

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Providence, RI

I have been working at Providence College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The lifestyle is balanced. There are reasonable tenure expectations. Colleagues are very nice and supportive.

Cons

The pay is below average for the position. The school is underdeveloped and underfunded.

Need to align with other schools of business in terms of pay, benefits, etc. if you want to "play with the big boys."

student work study job, limited hours but committed staff

I have been working at Providence College part-time

Pros

Great personalities and management. Very flexible schedule and low pressure for getting hours done. Basically your own responsibility to seek hours to fulfill work study amount. Very knowledgeable staff and financial aid office.

Cons

Nothing really negative from my job experience. You must be the one to take full responsibility of the hiring process as many student jobs have been fulfilled so it is essential to meet with hiring managers.

So much potential here, and so disappointing to see it wasted

Current Employee - Professor in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Professor in Providence, RI

I have been working at Providence College full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

1. Nice campus
    2. Small classes
    3. A genuinely friendly
    4. Caring, and close-knit faculty
    5. Reasonable workload.

Cons

1. Low pay - taught there for 10 years and still cannot afford a house, never mind to save enough for retirement.
    2. Administration doesn't care - Provost and President seem not to care at all about faculty well-being; they ignore faculty concerns; talk down to their employees.
    3. No room for advancement - no matter how hard you work or how smart you are, there is no structure for advancement into administration, not feedback system to let you know how to improve in order to get there. In many ways, it feels like a dead end.
    4. Hypocrisy - the administration professes one set of values and then acts on another (and then they feign shock and offense when you point this out).
    5. Deceptive practices - administrative officers will mislead and lie about all sorts of issues to get faculty to shut up and go away.
    6. Weak reputation in academia - once you are in Providence College it is hard to leave.
    7. Poor benefits - they've been paring back benefits over the years; no matching funds for retirement account, no merit pay, very limited health and dental coverage.
    8. No union - so basically our rights get redefined whenever the administration wants.

Be responsive to faculty concerns; treat employees with respect; care whether we can feed our families on the salaries you pay; give us a system of advancement; live up to your values.

Work Study

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I worked at Providence College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Convenient to work on campus, meet new people. Extra spending money is great to have. I had an overall positive experience as a student worker.

Cons

I wish as I became a veteran employee, I made more than minimum wage. We also were sometimes unsure who we answered to. Management needs to be more clear and communicate more.