Providence College

Be The First To
Add Photos

Graduate Assistant

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) Providence, RI

ProsNot overwhelmed with amount of work, got to study and do hw most days, laid back, pays for tuition and $700/month stipend.

ConsNot many cons other than low pay but thats already expected

PC is a decent place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmall community. Dedicated staff.

ConsStrict policies. Low diversity

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversify

Great place to work.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Providence, RI

ProsPC is a good place to be. It is a great environment with many cultural activities going on. The grounds and buildings are beautiful. It is always enriching to be in the company of students who want to learn and professors who want to teach. It offers many workshops to keep one up-to-date in the newest technology.

ConsA common complaint is lack of faculty and staff parking on campus. Although it has gotten better if you don't need in/out access during the course of the workday.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Supportive environment committed to transforming self and society.

Yoga Instructor (Current Employee) Providence, RI

ProsSupportive staff and management committed to supporting student's interests. Friendly environment that values creative thinking.

ConsNo real cons that I can think of as long as student worker maintains a positive and hardworking attitude.

Just like any other on-campus student job.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOn-campus jobs are great for beer money.

ConsPay does not reflect your skills

My experience has been mixed. Some good, and some bad.

Assistant Professor (Current Employee) Providence, RI

ProsThe lifestyle is balanced. There are reasonable tenure expectations. Colleagues are very nice and supportive.

ConsThe pay is below average for the position. The school is underdeveloped and underfunded.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to align with other schools of business in terms of pay, benefits, etc. if you want to "play with the big boys."

student work study job, limited hours but committed staff

ProsGreat personalities and management. Very flexible schedule and low pressure for getting hours done. Basically your own responsibility to seek hours to fulfill work study amount. Very knowledgeable staff and financial aid office.

ConsNothing really negative from my job experience. You must be the one to take full responsibility of the hiring process as many student jobs have been fulfilled so it is essential to meet with hiring managers.

So much potential here, and so disappointing to see it wasted

Professor (Current Employee) Providence, RI

Pros1. Nice campus
    2. Small classes
    3. A genuinely friendly
    4. Caring, and close-knit faculty
    5. Reasonable workload.

Cons1. Low pay - taught there for 10 years and still cannot afford a house, never mind to save enough for retirement.
    2. Administration doesn't care - Provost and President seem not to care at all about faculty well-being; they ignore faculty concerns; talk down to their employees.
    3. No room for advancement - no matter how hard you work or how smart you are, there is no structure for advancement into administration, not feedback system to let you know how to improve in order to get there. In many ways, it feels like a dead end.
    4. Hypocrisy - the administration professes one set of values and then acts on another (and then they feign shock and offense when you point this out).
    5. Deceptive practices - administrative officers will mislead and lie about all sorts of issues to get faculty to shut up and go away.
    6. Weak reputation in academia - once you are in Providence College it is hard to leave.
    7. Poor benefits - they've been paring back benefits over the years; no matching funds for retirement account, no merit pay, very limited health and dental coverage.
    8. No union - so basically our rights get redefined whenever the administration wants.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe responsive to faculty concerns; treat employees with respect; care whether we can feed our families on the salaries you pay; give us a system of advancement; live up to your values.

Work Study

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Providence, RI

ProsConvenient to work on campus, meet new people. Extra spending money is great to have. I had an overall positive experience as a student worker.

ConsI wish as I became a veteran employee, I made more than minimum wage. We also were sometimes unsure who we answered to. Management needs to be more clear and communicate more.

Great experience in academic environement

Giving Officer (Current Employee) Providence, RI

ProsGreat work environment, with wonderful people. Tremendous opportunity for growth and learning.

ConsNo Commission and high turnover. Although the business suffers from this problem universally, Providence has the potential to retain top talent, and lets it get away for a couple grand more a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommission for gifts

Worked for Providence College? Contribute to the Community!