Providence Health & Services

Updated July 30, 2014
Updated July 30, 2014
3.1

Rodney F. Hochman

Pros
  • Compared to other places, work-life balance in my area is exceptionally good (in 16 reviews)

• The company's stated mission and core values are noble; your job makes a difference in the lives of real people (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little flexibility which hinders any kind work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management has too much power to exercise retaliatory acts against employees (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Review in change

Former Employee - Manager in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Burbank, CA

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent Clinical care, many of the clinical and business folks are very capable. Nursing and Physicians are good to work with for the most part.

Cons

Lack of inclusive thought and very superficial demonstration of values, (leadership feels they are above the values in actions)

Listen to the folks who have true experience and success, and trust them and the staff. It is not beneficial to remove folks with disparate opinions and helps to listen and collaborate with opposing views. That is true discernment.

No Transparency. Lack of leadership at the senior level. No vision and direction.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Burbank, CA

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work schedule compensation is not bad

Cons

Disrespectful executive leaders. Lead by threat not by vision. Back stabbing. Employees are always looking to jump the ship. More than 40% turn over of management in less than a year. More to come.

Choose the right leaders. Learn how to make decisions timely. Be transparent. The organization has lost the understanding of its core values.

total BS

Current Employee - RN Emergency in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - RN Emergency in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

coworkers who believe in the mission

Cons

there is no mission. Politics are brutal no regard for frontline staff work load unmanageable

learn to be hones

Meh - Very Average Overall; Just Another Stepping Stone for Me

Current Employee - Clinical Database Analyst in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Database Analyst in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are super, great to work with. The company has "core values" which I believe were embraced by staff at all levels and not just used as filler material in employee handouts. The cafeteria food was pretty good imo though I am more forgiving than most. There were fun things like swag at training sessions, get-togethers after meetings, etc. Staff was always on board for initiatives and very team oriented and supportive so you could do your job. Training was good as far as I was concerned.

Cons

Communication was at times nonexistent. To say that is was "pee poor" would even be an erroneous statement and being a very detailed person I don't want to be off base here. Salary was sub standard also though to be fair the other benefits such as insurance and retirement contributions were above average. To give you an idea I walked out the door and gave myself over a 30% increase in income and that's not counting another job that I didn't get but interviewed for that was even more. You may also have to move up north to work with the technology you desire. There was a lot of personnel change that impacted others much more than me. There is favoritism and bias that can work against you if you are on the wrong side of it.

Overall I would say this company is "OK". I placed 2 stars overall which equates to "Dissatisfied" which isn't quite accurate but I think it between 2-3 stars. This is a "decent" place where you can stay for awhile as a stepping stone, use it for what's it's worth. The way I see it is I work for myself and I only care about my perspective. After all it's all about MEEEEE! My advice to management is provide better communication to employees.

Vision and actions are misaligned with management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services

Pros

I receive my paycheck in a timely manner.

Cons

Corporate management is so out of touch with what is happening at each ministry. Five states each with their own laws and regs. You can't have one size fits all policy.

HR and corporate are so afraid of a lawsuit that they can not effectively remove bad employees. So much time is wasted on managing bad employees. It causes a significant drop in morale that are at toxic levels.

Providence Health & Services Photos