Providence Health & Services

Updated February 20, 2015
Updated February 20, 2015
3.1

Rodney F. Hochman

Pros
  • Compared to other places, work-life balance in my area is exceptionally good (in 16 reviews)

• The company's stated mission and core values are noble; your job makes a difference in the lives of real people (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little flexibility which hinders any kind work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management has too much power to exercise retaliatory acts against employees (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

67 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Great people, lots of chaos and change

Former Employee - Senior Epic Analyst in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Epic Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Providence as an organization cares about its employees. The people there are wonderful, caring, friendly and involved in the community.

Cons

The Epic project was chaotic, not well organized and moved way to quickly. Wonderful people were overworked and burned out quickly. Providence lost a lot of great employees because of the pace of the project. Also contact reorganizations also laid off good, long term employees.

Make sure that your best talent does not walk out the door.

Overall, a. Good place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent Benefits, co-workers are generally awesome, some opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Some supervisors either are a) Super nice and accommodating or b) condescending and unknowledgable.

Work with employees more.

A great experience

Former Employee - Medical Record Clerk in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Medical Record Clerk in Portland, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Clean, well maintained, and up to date facilities and equipment. Friendly office atmosphere. The company provides a free annual Trimet pass to all employees.

Cons

My department was asked to take on more and more responsibility including the training of other departments, but our pay rate was never updated to reflect the increase in workload and acquired skills.

Mental Health Therapist

Current Employee - Mental Health Therapist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Mental Health Therapist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great colleagues, good time off, dedicated to their mission/values, friendly, pretty supportive of work-life balance

Cons

As a large hospital system it can be bureaucratic and difficult to navigate. Very top down.

Pay could be better.

Good company, in transition.

Former Employee - Real Estate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Real Estate in Portland, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance. Perks and benefits. Work ultimately benefits people in need of medical help in the community. History and mission are well communicated through story telling.

Cons

Very bureaucratic. Reactive in processes. Resistant to change. No professional development program/assistance. Employee's nervous about job stability and future of the organization.

It would advantageous to offer assistance to employees who want to grow.

Variable-they had difficulty keeping the managers, so it depended on which manager was running the unit.

Current Employee - Staff RN in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services

Pros

It is a big organization which can give many opportunities and places to transfer to.

Cons

Providence does a great job of "Ease my way" for their patients but the same isn't true for its employees.
    Managers often have to much power and don't listen to the staff.
    They have had multiple grievances brought against management by ONA that ONA has won or Providence has 'settled'.

Get the facts when things happen. Don't just assume the managers, etc.are right. We have lost many really good experienced nurses because management hasn't bothered to get the 'rest of the story."

A great long-term place to work

Current Employee - Sous Chef in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sous Chef in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Health Benefits, Great people to work with.

Cons

It isn't the same as when the sisters ran it. Internal politics can be a bit much.

The focus is to cut labor costs and services. This can get lost on the average worker.

Employee for the past four years

Current Employee - Intake Specialist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Intake Specialist in Portland, OR

Pros

A large company, working with a lot of great coworkers, close to home, a steady paycheck, mostly fair compensation and benefits.

Cons

A large company, lots of bureaucracy, takes a long time to make even the simplest changes, high turnover due to unsatisfied employees and very low morale, management not forthcoming with policy changes and then penalizes workers (sometimes by name for the entire department to see) who do things incorrectly because of lack of training or policy changes. Very complicated policies, creates a bureaucratic hassle for patients instead of "easing their way" as the company claims. Sets their employees up for failure. Our managers have no accountability, employees have no higher ups to plead with. No where to move on to without being certified in something, no in-house training.

Listen to your employees who have tried to help improve the processes and work environment. You are always asking us for ways to make things better. You wonder why turnover is so high. We have told you, multiple times, and yet you still look at us with blank faces and glazed eyes, and act like you have no idea what we're talking about.

Account specialist-sales

Current Employee - Account Specialist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Account Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I'm still very new to company less than a couple of weeks. Great people so far.

Cons

Could be more competitive with pay

Great company!!

Former Employee - A/R Specialist in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - A/R Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Love working here! Amazing benefits! Good training on software and policies. Very inexpensive medical and pharmacy benefits.

Cons

Super strict attendance policy. Since the company is growing so fast, the parking is limited. that is the only "con" i can think of.

Providence Health & Services Photos