Providence Health & Services

Rodney F. Hochman

38 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A/R Specialist

Portland, OR

ProsVery lenient, tattoo acceptance, great benefits, great group of people.

ConsThe leadership is so stacked, sometimes it's difficult to see the bigger picture of what's going on. This is pretty typical of any large corporation, though.

Nice theoretical concepts of approach to modernizing Health Care, starting to falter in reality.

Archibus Applications Administrator (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsStarting to centralize applications and make them 'Enterprise' standard;
    Writes of a large amount of health care costs each year as Charity Care
    Works to provide health care related services in under-served areas
    Works in five states (AK, CA, MT, OR, WA)

ConsPays below market rate for job duties/title.
    Standardizing applications is challenging as there is frequently no 'One Version Suits All' solution
    benefits packages are decreasing year over year
    Moving Full Time Employee work locations between states, and none to minimal help for relocation of staff under D-level or above

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on being transparent within the departments, less favoritism with eliminating positions, then create a new position for 'certain impacted employees' to be re-employed with a different job title.

Decent company, that is going through alot of growing pains.

Portland, OR

Prosgood benefits for loyal employees.

ConsCompany is in flux right now, with alot of constant change.
    Management and above, are not equipped to handle the changes competently.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the quality of your employees work, just not the numbers.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's who you know, not what you know.

Office Assistant (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsBenefits are great, room for growth in some departments, training, good communication with leadership.
    Smooth transitions with internal transfers. Paid time off benefits.

ConsPay, work/life balance, micromanages, working environment (too cold in the offices), small work spaces, no encouragement to build friendships or rapport within a team, expectations of no talking feels like you're in school and not at a career where you are trusted.

Enjoyable company to work for

Technical Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

Prosthe people were excellent. the culture was refreshing. I would love the opportunity to work for them again.

Conssome employees are passive aggressive and difficult to understand.

Advice to Senior Managementwhen you find valuable people keep them in the organization even if it means making a position for them.

A lot of change happening, but overall a positive place to work

Portland, OR

ProsThe organization tries to maintain focus on their mission and vision. In order to do that there are a lot of changes going on throughout the organization to decrease cost savings. Most changes are handled with compassion and care. Leadership cares about their staff and the people of Providence.

ConsThere are many changes which makes it the work environment a bit stressful, but nothing unmanageable. There is no bottoms up management performance review from employees for their leadership.

Providence is great!

Portland, OR

ProsAwesome place to work for!

ConsRecruiters need less attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees and figure things out.

Health Care provider transitioning to new applications.

Systems Analyst III (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsFairly stable environment compared to other industries.

ConsComes off as being a moral company due to it's religious foundation. But in reality it's like any corporation, it's just there to make money.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think there is an attempt by upper management to communicate with lower levels of the staff. But the communication really flows downwards, not upwards.

Job security, great place to hone skill-sets.

Portland, OR

ProsGreat large organization with ample amount of growth opportunity. Employees can promote quickly with hard work and an eagerness to learn new and challenging roles.

ConsLarge organization shifting from regional autonomy to centralized services. Pay is mid-range, the organization loses outstanding talent to other organizations that pay well.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on what we do well. Stay true to founding principles, not just a punch line.

Providence in Portland Area

Patient Relations (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsNot too many pros, started off in 2007 being a wonderful place with good benefits, paid for employees, inexpensive for family. There was caring for the employees.

ConsNot a good place to work after the first year or so. It went from being a fair and good employer in the Portland Area to getting worse and worse. When I left benefits were sub standard. The sisters left and the Misson no longer mattered. Is getting rid of patient service if working in a non clinical roll.

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter the change over to the super program, the management must have been told to get rid of many people because during early 2013 to later 2013 many people were gone.. Some where given the opportunity to leave voluntarily, others who were taking a bit more time to catch on, were let go. If you were sick on leave you were encouraged to leave. Management made up reasons why they let people go. Told they were not fast enough, that they did mistakes that they did not do. Given warnings that some people never got. One day they were there and the next, gone. Given unreachable goals that could never be obtained and out right lied to. I was told that I made a mistake that I never would have or could have done. I knew of around 15-20 people who were let go like this. Who knows how many there were. Some had been with Providence for many years and were getting close to retirement age.

Worked for Providence Health & Services? Contribute to the Community!

Providence Health & Services Videos

Providence Health & Services – Why Work for Us?

As the sixth-largest faith-based health system in the United States, Providence Health & Services offers careers with meaning. Inspired by the spirit of our founders, we share a deep personal calling to achieve the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Providence Health & Services reviews and ratings in Portland, OR — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Providence Health & Services CEO Rodney F. Hochman. All 38 reviews posted anonymously by Providence Health & Services employees.