Providence Health & Services

Providence Health & Services Reviews in Portland, OR

Updated October 13, 2014
Updated October 13, 2014

Rodney F. Hochman

Pros
  • Compared to other places, work-life balance in my area is exceptionally good (in 13 reviews)

• The core values of Providence are amazing (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little flexibility which hinders any kind work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management has too much power to exercise retaliatory acts against employees (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

54 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I wish the nuns still controlled the company

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company's stated mission and core values are noble; your job makes a difference in the lives of real people. The culture in most areas of the company is refreshingly different than the corporate for-profit world. Generally speaking most folks are very kind and professional with one another. The flexible work hours are nice benefit.

Cons

Compensation seems to always be lagging whereas the executives don't seem to have a problem getting raises, even during layoffs and pay freezes for the rest of the company, this didn't happen when the nuns (the Sisters) ran the Board of Directors. The executives seem to ignore the core values when it suits them. Every year they take a little more away from the benefits.

Stop being so greedy, invest in your workforce, be more open and honest, and increase compensation.

Regional manager of sales with a focus on ancillary service.

Former Employee - Regional Director in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Regional Director in Portland, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Providence is a non profit health care system with a strong community focus

Cons

Very large hospital system with poor communication.

Share more about the new vision.

Steady decline in management behavior leading to extensive turnover

Former Employee - Administrative Support in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Administrative Support in Portland, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, fair pay, good work environment (physical), good coworkers.

Cons

I worked for Providence Health System for many years with no complaints. After I transferred to the Portland, OR Health Plans division, things started changing. It started well, but over the years I saw unqualified people being promoted to management and even director positions. The managers were untrained and employee morale began declining. I left after a few years, realizing that it was going to continue to get worse. And it did...employees have either left or been fired in droves. We have begun calling this the "Providence way". They do not practice their core values of compassion and respect. It really is not an indicator of your value to be "fired" by Providence, just an indicator of their value as an employer, which is very low.

Promote based on quality of work, training, capabilities and give all a fair chance to advance.

What Providence thinks about its employees & their families.

Current Employee - Staff RN in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great co-workers! Providence couldn't keep their doors open if it weren't for the fabulous staff that Providence consistently treats poorly.

Cons

Providence to bargaining unit when negotiating insurance benefits: "We would rather your families be seen by other providers than incur the cost of insuring them."
    Providence has their own insurance company, its moving money from one pot to another, not paying out to another source. Providence doesn't care about their employees.

Read the mission statement and apply it equally to all people including your employees.

Disappointing experience after initial high hopes

Former Employee - HIM in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - HIM in Portland, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, educational opportunities, decent pay, adequate training and equipment, some very nice people.

Cons

Inconsistency in quality of managers, ranging from the Good, to the Bad, to the Ugly. Middle managers are rarely scrutinized by higher management and get away with a lot. Despite the general kindness displayed by most employees, there is an air of fear that permeates the company. The work load is oppressive and most employees slack off on emails to compensate, making the response time on questions extremely slow. The dedication to the mission statement is followed by many, but completely ignored by some key employees, including managers. This is a blow to the general morale because most workers view this as the worst kind of hypocrisy. There is a lot of lip service to high quality of work, but the reality is that the company is merely above average in this despite great energy expended toward improvement. There is a dearth of joy or fun working there. One must learn and understand the politics of this company if they want to survive.

The IT people were the only ones who seemed to have their act together. They work together as a team, are very productive and have excellent morale. I would use their process as a template to run the rest of the company.

not so good benefits

Current Employee - Counselor in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Counselor in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

tries to follow mission. Tries to follow diversity standars.

Cons

The culture is that they need more diversity classes. The pay is not good as they are tending more to the Providence Park.

need to apply for more classes.

Good

Current Employee - Mental Health Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Mental Health Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I feel like a valuable part of the team while working. My boss is very supportive of new ideas and helps put them into action.

Cons

Sometimes the culture among the nursing staff is to "make as much money as possible", therefore working doubles all the time, which causes burnout, and therefore not always a fun environment.

Terrible management, brain dead employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Could goof off easily due to management's complete lack of interest

Cons

Terrible management, idiotic coworkers, low pay, surprisingly LAME benefits despite many people thinking they are great...did I mention TERRIBLE MANAGEMENT?

Providence was the most ponderous job I've ever had. Luckily I secured a decent job recently and was able to get out of this horrible mess that was my department. Coworkers are bottom barrel dopes who stick around because Providence is too lazy to fire them. Providence's major downfall is their willingness to hire complete dolts as managers. Intellect makes no difference, it's only about how you kiss up and follow orders. There was NO respect given to the team I was on, and taking orders from managers who have IQ's in the double digits gets old quickly. If you're considering a job in the HIM department, RUN AWAY. This department is an insulting joke run by managers who are INSANE. It's truly astounding how Providence promotes hiring from within, regardless of how dumb you are. Just shocking business practices, especially considering this is in the health care field.

Volunteer

Current Employee - Volunteer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Volunteer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services (less than an year)

Pros

The staff is wonderful. They are very nice and considerate. The best group of people I have ever worked with. I get a natural high just working at Portland Providence! I'm treated extremely well. I love the benefits as a volunteer and I can't wait to become an official employee; I have applied for employment here.

Cons

Nothing really. So far, so good!

Keep up the excellent work!

Wonderful for two years, bad for one, horrible for one.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good experience for interns to 'learn the field.' Benefits were diminished when I was there, are not as good as they were.

Cons

To only pay for 5 holidays a year is one of the lowest in town. Why would a supposed Christian organization not consider Easter a holiday? Work-Life balance was nearly impossible in the department I worked in, as you were expected to do whatever it took to get the work done if the census went up. (In other words, work several hours a week off the clock). To use the word 'leadership' to describe the management in my old department is overstating it. They were bullies, quite comfortable with yelling at employees, doing illegal and unethical things to either fire someone or to 'convince' them to quit. The idea was 'All of you people are expendable; you are SO lucky to be working at an organization as wonderful as Providence, so you had BETTER do what we say at all times, even when we contradict ourselves. AND you'd better smile and LIKE it.'

Actually be connected enough to your 'leadership' to know what they are ACTUALLY doing. Don't believe everything they are telling you. Actually take care of your employees like your wonderful PR would have people believe you are doing. Help employees with prevention of and healing from burnout, which would save you money in the long run, as sustainability should apply to employees, too.

Providence Health & Services Photos