Providence Health & Services

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
3.1

Rodney F. Hochman

Pros
  • Compared to other places, work-life balance in my area is exceptionally good (in 16 reviews)

• The company's stated mission and core values are noble; your job makes a difference in the lives of real people (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little flexibility which hinders any kind work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management has too much power to exercise retaliatory acts against employees (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

60 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Account specialist-sales

Current Employee - Account Specialist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Account Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm still very new to company less than a couple of weeks. Great people so far.

Cons

Could be more competitive with pay

Employee for the past four years

Current Employee - Intake Specialist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Intake Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A large company, working with a lot of great coworkers, close to home, a steady paycheck, mostly fair compensation and benefits.

Cons

A large company, lots of bureaucracy, takes a long time to make even the simplest changes, high turnover due to unsatisfied employees and very low morale, management not forthcoming with policy changes and then penalizes workers (sometimes by name for the entire department to see) who do things incorrectly because of lack of training or policy changes. Very complicated policies, creates a bureaucratic hassle for patients instead of "easing their way" as the company claims. Sets their employees up for failure. Our managers have no accountability, employees have no higher ups to plead with. No where to move on to without being certified in something, no in-house training.

Listen to your employees who have tried to help improve the processes and work environment. You are always asking us for ways to make things better. You wonder why turnover is so high. We have told you, multiple times, and yet you still look at us with blank faces and glazed eyes, and act like you have no idea what we're talking about.

Great company!!

Former Employee - A/R Specialist in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - A/R Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Love working here! Amazing benefits! Good training on software and policies. Very inexpensive medical and pharmacy benefits.

Cons

Super strict attendance policy. Since the company is growing so fast, the parking is limited. that is the only "con" i can think of.

certified pharmacy tech

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good benefits, good atmosphere and good coworkers

Cons

raises are small and need to be moresee below

need to promote with in moreasee below

It was a stressful job. I would not go back.

Former Employee - Certified Medical Assistant in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Certified Medical Assistant in Portland, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Health benefits were pretty good. Overall benefits are pretty good!

Cons

Pay raises are rare, you are not valued and can easily be replaced. Management is ridiculous!

Listen to your employee's.

Great people but western medicine hospitals are going down hill

Former Employee - Biomedical in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Biomedical in Portland, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

For the most part I'd say Providence is staffed with wonderfully loving and helpful folks who really believe that what they're doing makes a difference in lives.

Cons

Overrun by politics and governmental bureaucracy...as most hospitals probably are these days.

Bean counters aren't what makes a good hospital, albeit they might be necessary, but you're taking the heart out of caring for the ill.

I wish the nuns still controlled the company

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company's stated mission and core values are noble; your job makes a difference in the lives of real people. The culture in most areas of the company is refreshingly different than the corporate for-profit world. Generally speaking most folks are very kind and professional with one another. The flexible work hours are nice benefit.

Cons

Compensation seems to always be lagging whereas the executives don't seem to have a problem getting raises, even during layoffs and pay freezes for the rest of the company, this didn't happen when the nuns (the Sisters) ran the Board of Directors. The executives seem to ignore the core values when it suits them. Every year they take a little more away from the benefits.

Stop being so greedy, invest in your workforce, be more open and honest, and increase compensation.

Steady decline in management behavior leading to extensive turnover

Former Employee - Administrative Support in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Administrative Support in Portland, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, fair pay, good work environment (physical), good coworkers.

Cons

I worked for Providence Health System for many years with no complaints. After I transferred to the Portland, OR Health Plans division, things started changing. It started well, but over the years I saw unqualified people being promoted to management and even director positions. The managers were untrained and employee morale began declining. I left after a few years, realizing that it was going to continue to get worse. And it did...employees have either left or been fired in droves. We have begun calling this the "Providence way". They do not practice their core values of compassion and respect. It really is not an indicator of your value to be "fired" by Providence, just an indicator of their value as an employer, which is very low.

Promote based on quality of work, training, capabilities and give all a fair chance to advance.

Regional manager of sales with a focus on ancillary service.

Former Employee - Regional Director in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Regional Director in Portland, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Providence is a non profit health care system with a strong community focus

Cons

Very large hospital system with poor communication.

Share more about the new vision.

What Providence thinks about its employees & their families.

Current Employee - Staff RN in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great co-workers! Providence couldn't keep their doors open if it weren't for the fabulous staff that Providence consistently treats poorly.

Cons

Providence to bargaining unit when negotiating insurance benefits: "We would rather your families be seen by other providers than incur the cost of insuring them."
    Providence has their own insurance company, its moving money from one pot to another, not paying out to another source. Providence doesn't care about their employees.

Read the mission statement and apply it equally to all people including your employees.

Providence Health & Services Photos