Providence Health & Services

Updated December 2, 2014
Updated December 2, 2014
3.1

Rodney F. Hochman

Pros
  • Compared to other places, work-life balance in my area is exceptionally good (in 16 reviews)

• The company's stated mission and core values are noble; your job makes a difference in the lives of real people (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little flexibility which hinders any kind work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management has too much power to exercise retaliatory acts against employees (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

37 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work and have a meaningful career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At the top level, Providence makes a valiant effort to keep the mission, core values and vision at the core of why they do what they do, and still remain competitive. How that translates throughout the organization varies, but my experience has been outstanding. The people I work with are smart, forward thinking, diverse, and make it easy to come to work every day. I believe my managers are committed to my professional development. Compared to other places, work-life balance in my area is exceptionally good. They've hired some impressive executive leadership in Renton. It's too early to tell what kind of impact they will have, but so far, I've been impressed with their strategic plans and high expectations.

Cons

The culture and expectations aren't consistent throughout the organization. There are some areas that are really very good and others that aren't. Centralizing operational management to Renton is upsetting some people's old local habits.

Create more opportunities for people who are lower on the totem pole to be heard by their leaders, and their leader's leaders. Be sure managers across the system receive the same cultural training consistently. Keep up the unique and fun activities from mission-inspired work to sports rallies.

Good Company values

Former Employee - Program Manager, Standardization and Utilization in Renton, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good services and the staff is passionate about serving their clients/customers.

Cons

There are pockets in where managers have not bought into the company values. it takes a long time to find these pockets and fix the discrepancies.

Collaboration is great as long as it does not drag on too long to have value.

Too much ambiguity and chaos to contribute /make a difference in Shared Services where management is too slow.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

Pros

Easy place to work in Renton if you are there for job and doesn't matter if you don't make a difference.
    People are generally nice and friendly.

Cons

Covert office environment.
    Ambiguity is okay when caused by change, but not when caused by culture of poor ways of managing and leading that cause ambiguity. too much ambiguity, ie. unclear goals and roles and when asking about that, you can expect a long turn around time to get them answered, which impacts productivity in Shared Services. Turnaround time of information / decisions from management is exceptionally long leaving workers in rework mode when mgmt. finally gets back to them.
    In 2+ years, never was thanked for all the work done except in mass meetings a few times a year.
    In 2+ years, Director was under big stress the entire time and I did not have a good experience with that.
    Organization does not have a development environment for employees as of 2014 for development in shared services. I didn't see very many promotions during my time there. (we were told the strategy was inspire and develop, so if they do follow through, things should change finally to where the org will be focused on development, which it needs in healthcare with ways healthcare industry is changing. No more mediocrity.)
    Shared Service offices - benefits reduced as of 2015.
    Tried to expand in my area of work, and was limited.
    CEO from Swedish has never managed an organization as big as this across 5 states.

Learn to manage -- your industry no longer has reliable profit between your expenses and the insurance reimbursements including medicare.
    Office culture in Shared Services varies widely and there are some really bad areas that need attention and improvement,
    Reducing benefits in SMS in order to increase benefits elsewhere will backfire in SMS. Create a plan for how you are going to deal with that to overcome SMS takeaways.

Steady as she goes

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance and compensation with potential to move up if you know the right people or don't make waves.

Cons

To move up you have to know the right people and not make waves. If you are really wanting to change something in healthcare go work for the local hospitals not the system office

Start making decisions and stop trying to make everyone happy.

Providence is a mission driven organization with great healthcare professionals

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The mission is what makes Providence stand apart from other healthcare companies. The staff are dedicated to their patients and the common commitment to core values and the quality of people who work here makes all the difference. Providence continues to serve our communities and those in need. We have been humble about what we do as an organization. The focus on innovation has brought a positive spotlight to the organization.

Cons

The organization is growing faster than it's infrastructure. With 73,000+ employees the organization is complex and seems slow to respond. This can make some of the leaders feel distant and disconnected from day to day operations. I have the opportunity to work with some great leaders. The systems and tools that need to be in place to support an organization of this size are slow to be implemented.

Maintain a focus on the mission and core values. Don't lose site of what makes Providence a great place to work.

The organization has a fantastic mission and a lot of great people working for it.

Former Employee - Service Desk Analyst in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Service Desk Analyst in Renton, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They truly seem to care about the employees, or did when the sisters where running it. They have decent medical and always seem to have employee activities going on and support a work life balance.

I was there six months, excelled, rose to the top of the technical support team, receiving glowing accolades from managers, supervisors, and customers.

By the forth month I was supporting all regions and being requested for rollouts and overtime. They really like to see people excel, or most do.

Cons

They only give lip service to their culture and values statements. A full day of cultural orientation and ethics training, but they won't apply it to current supervisors or middle managers. I felt like an alter boy trying to get someone's attention and being told shut up and go away.

If you are a contractor and point out a real and glaring problem that is causing harm in the department even in a blind/confidential review, expect to be called on the carpet and removed by a vindictive supervisor, no matter how good or well liked you are. Private and Confidential does not mean private and confidential.

Middle management won't lift a finger either, and they will squash any third party investigation (That is mandated by their own HR department) , it doesn't happen.

Since I left I have met with three others who had worked as long-term fulltime employees in IT, and all of them had issues with the same supervisor. The venders have also had problems working with this supervisor.

I would never be a contractor for their IT ServiceDesk again for any reason as long as it remains under the same leadership.

Just because someone has been there for a while, does not mean they are a good supervisor. Even if you are a new manger to the position, the supervisors you manage might be causing more harm than good.

You must do what is right, not what is expedient.

Besides the problems with IT ServiceDesk supervisors, the IT networking department needs new leadership and a total overhaul of IT procedures and policies. This was ongoing when I left, but I am not sure it is happening fast enough.

Providence has done a good job in looking inviting to the new comer..

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Renton, WA

Pros

The community of co-workers is a great environment with the opportunity to grow into different departments. I love the mission and what Providence does for the community, along with the different training's it provides to it's employees.

Cons

Upper management tends to not be transparent in the decisions they are going to make, this makes for hard transitions between new team members and new leadership.Compensation tends to be a big issue as many are promised the ability to move up in their department, but it doesn't happen.

Fallow through with promises to direct team members, and make sure that each supervisor/department head/manager is doing the same with their team. Transparency to changes good or bad will help in creating a better working environment.

Executive Compensation drives patient care

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Renton, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Providence is a huge organization and a rich history of care to the community.
    Most of the direct care and middle managers genuinely care about the patients they serve.
    Women still serve in some leadership positions

Cons

Huge amount of churn in the technology group.
    The goal is to maximize billing - especially true since the merger with swedish and their staff have infiltrated the organization. Classic example - new free standing ER's are ordering MRI's for stomach aches even for patients without insurance..
    The executive level salary is very high also
    They hire outside of the organization for new positions and offer very little in upward mobility or training.
    The Catholic orientation prevents patients from receiving high quality patient sensitive end of life care.

Focus on front line employees if you want to be a world class health-care system and move away from your church affiliation.. Healthcare should respect all faiths when you are the only provider in a city.

Great mission and vision, struggling to unify organization

Current Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in Renton, WA

Pros

The mission is powerful and motivating, to provide high-quality care for all, especially the poor and vulnerable. Providence is making great strides to shake up health care and use its size to help improve community health.

Cons

Geographic regions of the company were allowed in the past to act like separate companies -- different polices, software, tons of redundant positions. Management is now trying to unify the shared services, adopt best practices systemwide and leverage economies of scale, but there is much resistance from the old guard. The HR department is a disaster.

You are on the right track; stay the course. Consider hiring temp worker or a contractor to speed standardization of HR systems, files, job descriptions, salaries. The current staff in that department cannot do their day-to-day work and make all the necessary changes.

It's been an average experience

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Renton, WA

Pros

Kindness compassion flexible work schedule depending on your department and manager

Cons

Limited PTO. 2 weeks vacation/sick combination. A challenge if you have young children.

Providence Health & Services Photos