Providence Health & Services

27 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Almost 9 years, time to go

Manager (Former Employee)
    Renton, WA

ProsOpportunities, benefits, culture.... In all, I liked working here. I gained amazing experience, and met some of the most amazing people.

ConsAs providence grows, their culture is changing. Although they still tout the mission and core values, It doesn't feel like they believe in them within their employee base like they did when I started. When I started, there was a focus on work-life balance, and on treating all employees with as much love, care, and compassion as we do to the patients. However, as Providence has grown and moved further and further from the founding Sisters, they are losing that compassion for their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know that an organization of 64,000 (Including Swedish) can't be perfect for everyone, but if you could go back to valuing your employees, it would bring back the culture of caring.

EPIC Credentialed Trainer for Multiple Go-Lives

Epic Credentialed Trainer Clin Docs (Current Employee)
    Renton, WA

ProsCompassion and ethical behavior are practiced by most on a day to day basis. My direct manager was great. Caring, principled and smart.

ConsLack of planning and forward thinking by management consistently ends up in major disruption to the lives of the trainers who have been on the road teach EPIC for 2.5 years.

Upper management lied to us on a couple of occasions. During the interview I was offered full travel expenses. After being hired I was told I would not get meals reimbursed. ( I had specifically asked about this during the interview.) They had to change this after HR pointed out that we were hourly employees and certain laws applied to us.... but it took a couple of months. They offered us the opportunity to apply full time positions, giving a salary range. Then after we apply, and are interviewed they tell us that we will come in at the bottom of the range. That felt like a bait and switch. I was not the only one who subsequently turned down the offer even though I was offered a promotion with it.

Advice to Senior ManagementApply some good project management principles to your planning going forward.

Executive Assistant

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)
    Renton, WA

ProsCatholic Healthcare Organization with strong mission to help the poor and vulnerable. Great value system and decent benefits.

ConsNo opportunity for advancement, compensation is not comparable to similar organizations

Advice to Senior ManagementDo away with Employee Engagement Survey

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's been an average experience

Program Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Renton, WA

ProsKindness compassion flexible work schedule depending on your department and manager

ConsLimited PTO. 2 weeks vacation/sick combination. A challenge if you have young children.

Highly political, good ol' boys club

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Renton, WA

ProsNo lack of work here

ConsIS Project managers should be allowed to be advocates for their business customers but because they report up through IS they are expected to cover up issues and wait for them to work themselves out. It's seen to be more palatable that a project manager be run over by the bus then an application analyst or system engineer as an example. It's been demonstrated that management tolerates disrepectful behavior towards project managers (i.e. cursing, hanging up on). Project managers are the scape goats at this company. Also, the good ol' boys club exists here and the female leadership demonstrate the Queen Bee syndrome. I was once told by a female leader that to be respected and valued I needed to say as little as possible to convey my message because that is how men communicate.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove the IS project management office out from under IS and into Supply Chain like they did with IS legal. Only then will there be fairness and transparency. IS legal doesn't have to filter. Project managers should not have to filter either. We are all just trying to get things done so IS management - show some ownership and acknowledge when things are not right.

There are opportunities to grow here.

Program Manager (Current Employee)
    Renton, WA

ProsIf you can put up with the politics there are opportunities for advancement. The Company now spans over 5 states.

ConsThe salaries are lower than average.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe boys club really needs to be abolished.

It was a great experience.

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Renton, WA

Prosgot to manage some really highly visible projects.

Consthere is not real career track.

Good Place to work ...

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsNice People around , managers are very transparent

ConsFrequent changes to the structure

Advice to Senior ManagementProper Planning on the hierarchy

The Information services division is in disaarry

Information Technology (Current Employee)
    Renton, WA

ProsThe people of Providence are hard working good people.
    There is good cameraderie amongst the staff within departments.
    The CEO has a vision.

ConsThe Information Services management leaves a lot to be desired. There is so much turmoil that working here is just depressing. Hopefully the new CIO will lift moral that is at an all time low.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpecific to Information Services.
    Get rid of cronism that has crept up into senior management. How do you expect the rank and file to respect directors that obviously were promoted because they are buddies of each other? The new CIO should clean up house. Most of the directors are not suited for their jobs. Have each and everyone of them reapply for their jobs. And we desperatley need a true CTO. Hopefully someone from outside of the organization. Most of the directors are remnants of the former CIO. They do not make the cut.

piranha office environment - top down is toxic right now

Senior Level (Current Employee)
    Renton, WA

Prosnone right now due to imploding env.

ConsGlassdoor - the CEO has changed and I would bet his rating is MUCH worse. The ongoing transformation taking place is toxic and will not only change the values of PHS but will change the industry as a whole.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe changes you are putting into place now will take 5 years or more to become the norm. Until then top end staff are being recruited away and leaving gladly. Stop the back end conversations and walk the talk.

Worked for Providence Health & Services? Contribute to the Community!

Providence Health & Services Videos

Providence Health & Services – Why Work for Us?

As the sixth-largest faith-based health system in the United States, Providence Health & Services offers careers with meaning. Inspired by the spirit of our founders, we share a deep personal calling to achieve the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Providence Health & Services reviews and ratings in Renton, WA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Providence Health & Services CEO Rodney F. Hochman. All 27 reviews posted anonymously by Providence Health & Services employees.