Providence Health & Services

www.providenceiscalling.jobs

Providence Health & Services Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Rodney F. Hochman

Pros
  • decent work life balance if you can manage it (in 6 reviews)

• The mission and core values with great opportunities for career growth (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little flexibility which hinders any kind work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management has too much power to exercise retaliatory acts against employees (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

"A Positive Movement In the Right Direction"

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Spokane, WA

ProsThe company as a whole has made a HUGE change and it encourages all employees to participate in a team effort. Their purpose has become more relevant to healthcare and has spent money and time to improve its infrastucture and functionality, so that it is a prominent name in healthcare.

ConsManagement still has some things to improve on. The opportunities are still limited and promotional options are lacking. Policies need to be improvised. Some depts. need some help with improving employee satisfaction, which has to do with certain management personnel, who don't have the management skills necessary to perform the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease review management and supervisor positions. If problems are occurring with employees and supervisors, maybe the managers/supervisor are the problem, and not the employees. Since your policy is to make it so that people
    want to work there and enjoy their jobs.

Good

Mental Health Associate (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsI feel like a valuable part of the team while working. My boss is very supportive of new ideas and helps put them into action.

ConsSometimes the culture among the nursing staff is to "make as much money as possible", therefore working doubles all the time, which causes burnout, and therefore not always a fun environment.

seeking to meet the demands of all people in a difficult & changing healthcare environment

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

ProsNever refuse care to patients. Care staff do not have to worry about the insurance status of patients they care for. Good benefits for employees.

Consmany levels of management to work with. Many of the management have not been doing direct patient care for too long. They lose touch with the actual processes & needs of staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more actual time seeing what the problems are & work with staff to fix them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I love working here

Patient Care Coordinator (Current Employee) Spokane, WA

ProsFriendly co workers, pay, benefits, and overall good environment.

ConsA little more training would have been helpful

Volunteer

Volunteer (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsThe staff is wonderful. They are very nice and considerate. The best group of people I have ever worked with. I get a natural high just working at Portland Providence! I'm treated extremely well. I love the benefits as a volunteer and I can't wait to become an official employee; I have applied for employment here.

ConsNothing really. So far, so good!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the excellent work!

Overall, a good place to work.

Medical Technologist (Current Employee) Everett, WA

ProsFlexible hours and satisfactory pay.

ConsBenefits not as good as they used to be. Department management communication could be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication could be better.

Culture is going downhill

ProsStill a fan of the mission but not sure the company is still devoted to its own values.

ConsUsed to be very mission driven and dedicated to helping all people. Now seems like it is all about the bottom line and politics.

The worst place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMost of the people are great to work with.

ConsHr is hard to work with, not willing to work with you if a problem arises. The benefits are not that great. I could go on and on but I will stop here for now.

Lack of support for growth and development

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) West Seattle, WA

ProsGreat clients, some great co-workers, team approach, mission driven. For salaried employees time is flexible and supervisors are very accomodating.

ConsIf you are working in a Providence facility or "ministry" as they call them, it's very hard to get promoted to the regional or corporate offices. In the facilities so many employees stay for so long---which can be good---however many of them are beyond burnt out and it seems the Providence way is that if someone is a problem in one department they just move them to another. Not much mentoring going on and not much building up of collegues.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to the in the trench workers about improvement ideas and take a hard look at how hard it is for someone to get fired which then causes people who should have been let go a long time ago to fester and breed more discontentment.

Nice theoretical concepts of approach to modernizing Health Care, starting to falter in reality.

Archibus Applications Administrator (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsStarting to centralize applications and make them 'Enterprise' standard;
    Writes of a large amount of health care costs each year as Charity Care
    Works to provide health care related services in under-served areas
    Works in five states (AK, CA, MT, OR, WA)

ConsPays below market rate for job duties/title.
    Standardizing applications is challenging as there is frequently no 'One Version Suits All' solution
    benefits packages are decreasing year over year
    Moving Full Time Employee work locations between states, and none to minimal help for relocation of staff under D-level or above

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on being transparent within the departments, less favoritism with eliminating positions, then create a new position for 'certain impacted employees' to be re-employed with a different job title.

Worked for Providence Health & Services? Contribute to the Community!