Providence Health & Services

Providence Health & Services Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
Updated October 18, 2014

Rodney F. Hochman

Pros
  • Compared to other places, work-life balance in my area is exceptionally good (in 13 reviews)

• The core values of Providence are amazing (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little flexibility which hinders any kind work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management has too much power to exercise retaliatory acts against employees (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work.

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with,
    Great work/life balance
    Company that actually lives their mission.

Cons

PTO is horrible
    Holidays come out of your PTO time
    Salary is ok but could be better
    Not much opportunities for advancement

Listen to your people and take care of them like you take care of the community that you server.

I have been working at Providence Health & Services

Pros

Has strong employee base who believes and bases everyday business decisions on the company mission. Employees and the work environment make it a great place to work. Management is open to fresh and innovative ideas for strategic changes, creating an open minded environment filled opportunities.

Cons

Business process and strategies in a number of areas are outdated. Due to the massive growth in the health care sector that is highly dictated by the government to make health care affordable, standardization of medical records and creating healthier populations is creating stressed and overworked employees.

Overall it's a good place

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time

Pros

Co-workers are wonderful, alot like a family. Treated well by management. Medical benefits are wonderful and inexpensive.

Cons

Pay raises don't really exist, hardly the cost of living each year. Don't feel that the company cares about the employee outside of work, and the quality of life we need outside of work. Raises aren't based on performance and what the raises are based on seems to keep the raises quite low since most don't fit the highest standards they have set for the 'best' raise which isn't that great.

Company values inside of the workplace are excellent, as well as looking out seen by the public. Lower management supervisors and managers don't seem to be chosen well or very knowledgeable but are friendly.

I wish the nuns still controlled the company

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company's stated mission and core values are noble; your job makes a difference in the lives of real people. The culture in most areas of the company is refreshingly different than the corporate for-profit world. Generally speaking most folks are very kind and professional with one another. The flexible work hours are nice benefit.

Cons

Compensation seems to always be lagging whereas the executives don't seem to have a problem getting raises, even during layoffs and pay freezes for the rest of the company, this didn't happen when the nuns (the Sisters) ran the Board of Directors. The executives seem to ignore the core values when it suits them. Every year they take a little more away from the benefits.

Stop being so greedy, invest in your workforce, be more open and honest, and increase compensation.

Regional manager of sales with a focus on ancillary service.

Former Employee - Regional Director in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Regional Director in Portland, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Providence is a non profit health care system with a strong community focus

Cons

Very large hospital system with poor communication.

Share more about the new vision.

Great organization to work for!

Former Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent, thorough orientation experience and company values.

Cons

Sometimes too many meetings which were not relevant to my position.

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Everett, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Knowledgeable, skilled staff who are great to work with. Great compensation plan and benefits. The morals and company plan are very positive and rewarding.

Cons

The hospital is big and sprawling with both a new and old section. It's very easy to get lost. Management is not very understanding when it comes to family emergencies. They are extremely rigid and don't give second chances.

Become closer to your employees. Management is distant and hard to get ahold of at times.

Steady as she goes

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance and compensation with potential to move up if you know the right people or don't make waves.

Cons

To move up you have to know the right people and not make waves. If you are really wanting to change something in healthcare go work for the local hospitals not the system office

Start making decisions and stop trying to make everyone happy.

Fine

I have been working at Providence Health & Services

Pros

It's a job, decent pay.

Cons

Can be high stress at times

None

Great place to work and have a meaningful career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

Pros

At the top level, Providence makes a valiant effort to keep the mission, core values and vision at the core of why they do what they do, and still remain competitive. How that translates throughout the organization varies, but my experience has been outstanding. The people I work with are smart, forward thinking, diverse, and make it easy to come to work every day. I believe my managers are committed to my professional development. Compared to other places, work-life balance in my area is exceptionally good. They've hired some impressive executive leadership in Renton. It's too early to tell what kind of impact they will have, but so far, I've been impressed with their strategic plans and high expectations.

Cons

The culture and expectations aren't consistent throughout the organization. There are some areas that are really very good and others that aren't. Centralizing operational management to Renton is upsetting some people's old local habits.

Create more opportunities for people who are lower on the totem pole to be heard by their leaders, and their leader's leaders. Be sure managers across the system receive the same cultural training consistently. Keep up the unique and fun activities from mission-inspired work to sports rallies.

Providence Health & Services Photos