Providence Health & Services

Providence Health & Services Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014

Rodney F. Hochman

Pros
  • decent work life balance if you can manage it (in 6 reviews)

• The mission and core values with great opportunities for career growth (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little flexibility which hinders any kind work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management has too much power to exercise retaliatory acts against employees (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great team, good compensation and hard work...

Current Employee - Manager  in  Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation is competitive, good PTO, and I feel there are some legitimate people in senior leadership here. Providence is growing slowly and there seems to be some potential to branch out to other places.

Cons

Promotion potential is limited, they hire a lot of leadership from the outside rather than from within, Mission and Values isn't as much of a focus for some departments. In general the healthcare industry has been hit hard by the ACA and changes across the industry. Not the same resilient industry it once was. For the first time in a long time I've looked at going out into a different industry.

Benchmarking doesn't always relate to every department across the system. Take a deep dive into the numbers, but also look at the individual needs of the department. Also, if you're comparing departments to other similar departments in the system make sure you look at every aspect of these departments. Some do more with less.

Providence has done a good job in looking inviting to the new comer..

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Renton, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

The community of co-workers is a great environment with the opportunity to grow into different departments. I love the mission and what Providence does for the community, along with the different training's it provides to it's employees.

Cons

Upper management tends to not be transparent in the decisions they are going to make, this makes for hard transitions between new team members and new leadership.Compensation tends to be a big issue as many are promised the ability to move up in their department, but it doesn't happen.

Fallow through with promises to direct team members, and make sure that each supervisor/department head/manager is doing the same with their team. Transparency to changes good or bad will help in creating a better working environment.

The organization has a fantastic mission and a lot of great people working for it.

Former Employee - Service Desk Analyst  in  Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Service Desk Analyst in Renton, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

They truly seem to care about the employees, or did when the sisters where running it. They have decent medical and always seem to have employee activities going on and support a work life balance.

I was there six months, excelled, rose to the top of the technical support team, receiving glowing accolades from managers, supervisors, and customers.

By the forth month I was supporting all regions and being requested for rollouts and overtime. They really like to see people excel, or most do.

Cons

They only give lip service to their culture and values statements. A full day of cultural orientation and ethics training, but they won't apply it to current supervisors or middle managers. I felt like an alter boy trying to get someone's attention and being told shut up and go away.

If you are a contractor and point out a real and glaring problem that is causing harm in the department even in a blind/confidential review, expect to be called on the carpet and removed by a vindictive supervisor, no matter how good or well liked you are. Private and Confidential does not mean private and confidential.

Middle management won't lift a finger either, and they will squash any third party investigation (That is mandated by their own HR department) , it doesn't happen.

Since I left I have met with three others who had worked as long-term fulltime employees in IT, and all of them had issues with the same supervisor. The venders have also had problems working with this supervisor.

I would never be a contractor for their IT ServiceDesk again for any reason as long as it remains under the same leadership.

Just because someone has been there for a while, does not mean they are a good supervisor. Even if you are a new manger to the position, the supervisors you manage might be causing more harm than good.

You must do what is right, not what is expedient.

Besides the problems with IT ServiceDesk supervisors, the IT networking department needs new leadership and a total overhaul of IT procedures and policies. This was ongoing when I left, but I am not sure it is happening fast enough.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A values based organization where people and patients are important.

Pros

The work life balance and benefits are exceptional. The people are lovely to work with and care about each other. Lots of opportunity to grow and make an impact. There is a strong sense of community and social responsibility to others, Providence gives back in BIG ways. It is a highly collaborative culture.

Cons

A bit slow to change and to stay current with solutions and technology.

Please implement a formal recognition program. Caregivers (employees) need a way to celebrate success and understand how their behavior and performance align with achieving results and delivering exceptional patient care.

Providence is a mission driven organization with great healthcare professionals

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The mission is what makes Providence stand apart from other healthcare companies. The staff are dedicated to their patients and the common commitment to core values and the quality of people who work here makes all the difference. Providence continues to serve our communities and those in need. We have been humble about what we do as an organization. The focus on innovation has brought a positive spotlight to the organization.

Cons

The organization is growing faster than it's infrastructure. With 73,000+ employees the organization is complex and seems slow to respond. This can make some of the leaders feel distant and disconnected from day to day operations. I have the opportunity to work with some great leaders. The systems and tools that need to be in place to support an organization of this size are slow to be implemented.

Maintain a focus on the mission and core values. Don't lose site of what makes Providence a great place to work.

A decent place to work

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Organization is VERY structured. They're very focused on proper training of new employees, and constantly educating current employees. They are very mission driven, which is good. Employees seem very much like family if that makes sense. A great sense of camaraderie that are focused on patient care.

Cons

I think they need to rethink their benefits to employees. It's not a terrible package by all means, but the major problem that I had with this company is PTO verses sick time. If you happened to be an employee who has children and your children are sick, then you're having to take PTO. This can be problematic. I would like to see this organization divide the "banks" so you have an option to save your PTO and use "sick" time for this. Additionally, the organization needs give an opportunity for the employee to take an un-paid day off verses being forced to take PTO. Management seems VERY stretched thin. Organization is top-heavy. Hourly employees are pressured to maintain a "5 occurrences in a calendar year rule" which is not realistic, at all. Especially for employees who have children.

Streamline processes a bit more to lighten the load of management. Avoid the employee feedback survey and talk to employees (you'll a find a way) face-to-face as this will really benefit you in the long run-you're actually listening to the employees and their concerns. Iron out the kinks in EPIC so coding/billing and scheduling (especially imaging scheduling) is smoother. Get rid of the 5 occurrences rule as this is not realistic- simply go case-by-case with employees who seem to take advantage. Avoid going to a phone tree- especially in primary care as this reduces our ability to offer excellent patient care. Patients need to be able to talk to a live person right away verses pushing several prompts to get to someone.

not so good benefits

Current Employee - Counselor  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Counselor in Portland, OR

Pros

tries to follow mission. Tries to follow diversity standars.

Cons

The culture is that they need more diversity classes. The pay is not good as they are tending more to the Providence Park.

need to apply for more classes.

Would like to return to them.

Former Employee - Physical Therapist Assistant  in  Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Physical Therapist Assistant in Issaquah, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services part-time for less than a year

Pros

They care about their employees. Their pay is excellent.

Cons

They appear to hold very short term employment against a returning candidate

If a person worked a short time in a PRN position and then took a full time permanent position elsewhere don't hold that against them. PRN does not guarantee over thirty hours a week and sometimes a person can feel uncertain about this.

Great teamwork, caring staff.

I worked at Providence Health & Services

Pros

Staff genuinely cares for patients and for each other. The mission and values are lived out. Catholic organization, and fully accepting of persons of all faiths.

Cons

Really, none in my opinion.

Prov Everett Invasive cardiac and vascular imaging (Cath lab)

I have been working at Providence Health & Services

Pros

New procedures, new equipment, very good suppory, challenging with plenty of moral and profession support. Very attentive and effective management. Biggest plus, specially for this part of Washington (near Seattle), FREE PARKING.

Cons

It is in a rather impoverished section of town

Streamline the hiring process. 60-90 days is way too long. Your prospects will find emoyment elsewhere much quicker.

Worked for Providence Health & Services? Contribute to the Community!