Providence Health & Services

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
Rodney F. Hochman

Pros
  • They make work-life balance easy by providing great food in the cafeteria for employees at low cost (in 16 reviews)

• Most of the employees truly live the mission statement and core values (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little flexibility which hinders any kind work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management lied to us on a couple of occasions (in 14 reviews)

1. Senior Analyst, Epic Applications

Current Employee - Senior Epic Applications Analyst in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Epic Applications Analyst in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time

Pros

Core Values and Mission are a welcome part of the culture. Leadership is very supportive of Epic team. Many opportunities for cross application collaboration and mentorship. Excellent project managers, implementation managers/directors, clinical informatics and business analysts that contribute to team's success. Excellent change control and governance process for build changes in place. Many opportunities for growth with deployment, new module implementations (Phoenix, Cupid, Welcome) and ongoing optimization work. The variety of work helps to increase analyst skills. Continuing education is a priority with opportunities for Epic certifications and proficiencies. New review process for 2015 included a process for personal and professional development and an outlined plan to achieve those goals. New Career Development Opportunity: They created a new job role this year Epic Principal Analyst.

Cons

There are 3 pillars on the Epic Team: production support, optimization and deployment. Some analysts have complained they don't get an opportunity to move to another pillar frequently enough.

Advice to Management

Continue to support analyst growth and make opportunities for that growth. Continue listening to staff and acting on feedback regarding process improvement. Slow down deployment and optimization waves. Continue to cross training analysts to other applications. Bring back days of learning with the entire Epic team.

2. Business Analyst

I have been working at Providence Health & Services

Pros

This is a great company with many oportunities for growth. They truly care about their employees and follow their core values.

Cons

Providence is a great company to work for.

3. Very Engaging Place to Work

Current Employee - Online Instructional Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Online Instructional Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services

Pros

There really is a focus on supporting and growing the individual. It begins with the language Providence uses- we are not called employees, we are called caregivers.

My manager is extremely supportive, allowing me the freedom to deliver my projects in the way I best see fit and the support when I need it, while holding me accountable for on-time delivery and high quality.

Cons

Some of their technology throughout the system is old (although not mine) and we have to use SharePoint, Outlook, and Lync for communication and data sharing. Having worked within a Google-based system, it has been a hard adjustment to move backwards.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the changes that I've seen in the past year. There's a lot of change in the air, and new people coming in with support from the top to implement it. I've seen a lot of streamlining and alignment to stated strategies.

5. I am proud to work for Providence

I have been working at Providence Health & Services

Pros

I have been an employee with Providence for 6.5 years and have found that the leadership stands behind the Mission and Core Values. The culture of the organization is one that I am proud to be a part of and represent. The care that the caregivers pass onto the patients and family members leads me to bring my family here. I am extremely proud to be a part of this great organization!

Cons

I have nothing negative to share

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing! You share goals that motive and have a vested interest in the outlook of the organization and a true concern for my well-being.

Great organization with occasional hiccups

Current Employee - Dietary Aide in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Dietary Aide in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services

Pros

Providence is a great place to work for. Even as an entry level employee, they generally take good care of you. Plus, they're widespread and in every field in healthcare.

Cons

Bureaucratic BS. I guess this applies to every company, but they seem to move through extra thick molasses sometimes. Leadership shuffles in my department constantly, with some truly horrific managers being placed in charge and taking forever to be removed.

Oh, and completely redoing their dietary department multiple times within the space of a few years. Mass chaos...

Advice to Management

Invest more in your employees. Don't always side with management, because some of them are incompetent. When you develop a new system, stick with it for a while before you completely rewrite the book..again...

7. Epic Analyst

Current Employee - Epic Analyst in Des Moines, WA
    Current Employee - Epic Analyst in Des Moines, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services (Less than a year)

Pros

Most positions have flexible hours. Almost everyone works from home at least one day a week. Transfer eligibility after 6 months. Renton campus is great for commuting.

Cons

Everything takes forever (access, approvals) AKA "Prov time". Affiliations are annoying depending what department you work in.

10 year employee

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services

Pros

strongly held belief in helping people & co-workers are proud of Providence as an organization

Cons

reactive management, need stronger processes and consistency - management doesn't have a prioritized and consistent focus on long term objectives - just get it done is the message

Advice to Management

Think and evaluate before starting a project - it's more effective before starting than finding out when it's too late that this doesn't work and will never work and we have to pay for it anyway

20 years Applications Analyst Information Services

Current Employee - Clinical Analyst in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Clinical Analyst in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Being able to provide service to patients without direct engagement.

Cons

Many new to management and leadership "talk" Core Values. Only applies when they are pushing their agendas

Advice to Management

Find work elsewhere if you think employees are the problem.

Business office is TERRIBLE

Current Employee - AR Specialist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - AR Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work load fairly predictable day in and day out. Steady work schedule.....standard bankers hours.

Cons

There are so many cons I am not sure where to start. Since my time starting at this company I have worked under 5 different supervisors. There are so many changes performed internally that supervisors come and go because they fail to produce the unobtainable numbers expected from each department. My department has an extremely high turn-over rate, as people are either quitting or being fired for minuscule things. I have found incorrect data and untrue filed with my employee reviews. I have never worked for a company that treated their staff like 5 years olds and demean at meetings. If someone makes a complaint about you, it will end up as a warning directed at you instead of viewing actual facts. Worst company I've worked for!!!

Advice to Management

Stop with the internal shuffle. Have some decency and treat your employees better without finger-pointing. Base reviews on FACTS instead of gossip. REWARD THEM when they do a good job and make them feel proud to work for you.

A pretty good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services

Pros

Good health benefits, stable job

Cons

a lot of turn over and management isn't the greatest in some departments

RSS Feed </> Embed