Providence Health & Services

Updated December 19, 2014
Updated December 19, 2014
3.1

Rodney F. Hochman

Pros
  • Compared to other places, work-life balance in my area is exceptionally good (in 16 reviews)

• The company's stated mission and core values are noble; your job makes a difference in the lives of real people (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little flexibility which hinders any kind work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management has too much power to exercise retaliatory acts against employees (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Was five star, now just three.

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many departments provide a flexible schedule and telecommuting. Good people. A free Tri Met transit pass is provided every year. Good core values.

Cons

Ever reducing benefits. Limited ability to grow unless you are willing to sacrifice work/life balance, then it's a gamble. The growth of the organization appears to be affecting the adherence to the core values.

To senior management: Talk less, act more.

Mission Driven Organization

I worked at Providence Health & Services

Pros

All employees seemed to be dedicated to serving the community need and advancing the mission that was founded by the Sisters of Providence

Cons

Culture didn't always support the desired outcomes from the senior leaders, at times it could be very risk averse

My coworkers do a great job and there is a positive atmosphere.

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The coworkers I work with are wonderful. Everyone knows their job and they do it well.

Cons

The way things are done is not always the most efficient and generally the cooperation is not willing to hear better ways for these things to be done.

Be willing to accept I'm put from employees about how things could be done better. Also, make scheduling fair and even.

Employee for the past four years

Current Employee - Intake Specialist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Intake Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A large company, working with a lot of great coworkers, close to home, a steady paycheck, mostly fair compensation and benefits.

Cons

A large company, lots of bureaucracy, takes a long time to make even the simplest changes, high turnover due to unsatisfied employees and very low morale, management not forthcoming with policy changes and then penalizes workers (sometimes by name for the entire department to see) who do things incorrectly because of lack of training or policy changes. Very complicated policies, creates a bureaucratic hassle for patients instead of "easing their way" as the company claims. Sets their employees up for failure. Our managers have no accountability, employees have no higher ups to plead with. No where to move on to without being certified in something, no in-house training.

Listen to your employees who have tried to help improve the processes and work environment. You are always asking us for ways to make things better. You wonder why turnover is so high. We have told you, multiple times, and yet you still look at us with blank faces and glazed eyes, and act like you have no idea what we're talking about.

One of the best places I have ever worked

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Mission Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Mission Hills, CA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Management involves employees, hospital shares same goal, patient care is a priority

Cons

Salary less than other hospitals nearby

Keep benefits competitive

Good Company values

Former Employee - Program Manager, Standardization and Utilization in Renton, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good services and the staff is passionate about serving their clients/customers.

Cons

There are pockets in where managers have not bought into the company values. it takes a long time to find these pockets and fix the discrepancies.

Collaboration is great as long as it does not drag on too long to have value.

Too much ambiguity and chaos to contribute /make a difference in Shared Services where management is too slow.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

Pros

Easy place to work in Renton if you are there for job and doesn't matter if you don't make a difference.
    People are generally nice and friendly.

Cons

Covert office environment.
    Ambiguity is okay when caused by change, but not when caused by culture of poor ways of managing and leading that cause ambiguity. too much ambiguity, ie. unclear goals and roles and when asking about that, you can expect a long turn around time to get them answered, which impacts productivity in Shared Services. Turnaround time of information / decisions from management is exceptionally long leaving workers in rework mode when mgmt. finally gets back to them.
    In 2+ years, never was thanked for all the work done except in mass meetings a few times a year.
    In 2+ years, Director was under big stress the entire time and I did not have a good experience with that.
    Organization does not have a development environment for employees as of 2014 for development in shared services. I didn't see very many promotions during my time there. (we were told the strategy was inspire and develop, so if they do follow through, things should change finally to where the org will be focused on development, which it needs in healthcare with ways healthcare industry is changing. No more mediocrity.)
    Shared Service offices - benefits reduced as of 2015.
    Tried to expand in my area of work, and was limited.
    CEO from Swedish has never managed an organization as big as this across 5 states.

Learn to manage -- your industry no longer has reliable profit between your expenses and the insurance reimbursements including medicare.
    Office culture in Shared Services varies widely and there are some really bad areas that need attention and improvement,
    Reducing benefits in SMS in order to increase benefits elsewhere will backfire in SMS. Create a plan for how you are going to deal with that to overcome SMS takeaways.

I have been working at Providence Health & Services

Pros

I know by working for Providence that I am making a positive impact on the community. That means a lot to me.

Cons

Providence can be slow to adopt change, and that can prove challenging to those of us who are early adopters.

Providence Health and Services

Pros

It's great to work for a company when you agree with their core values and the ways that it gives back to the community. The benefits include opportunities to grow, which include learning opportunities (in house classes for ex. Crucial Conversations) and tuition reimbursement.

Cons

This company is in a period of lots of change within their infrastructure. Change is not always a bad thing but you must exercise patience through this time.

Providence

I have been working at Providence Health & Services

Pros

Providence pays well and it is a great place to work because everyone smiles and is committed to doing a great job. Also, it is a 4x magnet hospital which speaks very highly. They make work-life balance easy by providing great food in the cafeteria for employees at low cost.

Cons

Challenges: there are a lot of changing of protocols in effort to make things more efficient. This company is more concerned with productivity than patient care at times, which can be frustrating.

Providence Health & Services Photos