Providence Health & Services

Updated November 18, 2014
Updated November 18, 2014
3.1

Rodney F. Hochman

Pros
  • Compared to other places, work-life balance in my area is exceptionally good (in 16 reviews)

• The company's stated mission and core values are noble; your job makes a difference in the lives of real people (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little flexibility which hinders any kind work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management has too much power to exercise retaliatory acts against employees (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging work, good people

Former Employee - Mecial Technologist in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Mecial Technologist in Spokane, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Worked with a courteous and thoughtful group of people. Good pay and benefits.

Cons

Burned out from fast paced and growing work loads. Manager was available but very busy and close to burning out themselves. Constant changes to workflow as new facilities opened.

Hire more people.

I have been working at Providence Health & Services

Pros

Has strong employee base who believes and bases everyday business decisions on the company mission. Employees and the work environment make it a great place to work. Management is open to fresh and innovative ideas for strategic changes, creating an open minded environment filled opportunities.

Cons

Business process and strategies in a number of areas are outdated. Due to the massive growth in the health care sector that is highly dictated by the government to make health care affordable, standardization of medical records and creating healthier populations is creating stressed and overworked employees.

Love!

I have been working at Providence Health & Services

Pros

Great management team for everything

Cons

Breaks. Make
    Sure you take your breaks!

Listen to your employees

Great people and mission

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone is very patient focused, highly skilled with driven management teams

Cons

Communication during massive reorganization and growth creates frustrations. IT and HR resources stretched very thin.

Maintain mission focus, be flexible, keep caring like you have shown you do.

Overall it's a good place

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time

Pros

Co-workers are wonderful, alot like a family. Treated well by management. Medical benefits are wonderful and inexpensive.

Cons

Pay raises don't really exist, hardly the cost of living each year. Don't feel that the company cares about the employee outside of work, and the quality of life we need outside of work. Raises aren't based on performance and what the raises are based on seems to keep the raises quite low since most don't fit the highest standards they have set for the 'best' raise which isn't that great.

Company values inside of the workplace are excellent, as well as looking out seen by the public. Lower management supervisors and managers don't seem to be chosen well or very knowledgeable but are friendly.

Great organization to work for!

Former Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent, thorough orientation experience and company values.

Cons

Sometimes too many meetings which were not relevant to my position.

Great place to work and have a meaningful career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

Pros

At the top level, Providence makes a valiant effort to keep the mission, core values and vision at the core of why they do what they do, and still remain competitive. How that translates throughout the organization varies, but my experience has been outstanding. The people I work with are smart, forward thinking, diverse, and make it easy to come to work every day. I believe my managers are committed to my professional development. Compared to other places, work-life balance in my area is exceptionally good. They've hired some impressive executive leadership in Renton. It's too early to tell what kind of impact they will have, but so far, I've been impressed with their strategic plans and high expectations.

Cons

The culture and expectations aren't consistent throughout the organization. There are some areas that are really very good and others that aren't. Centralizing operational management to Renton is upsetting some people's old local habits.

Create more opportunities for people who are lower on the totem pole to be heard by their leaders, and their leader's leaders. Be sure managers across the system receive the same cultural training consistently. Keep up the unique and fun activities from mission-inspired work to sports rallies.

The sisters are rolling in their graves

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olympia, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olympia, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good group of co workers, Nice to hear recognition from patients.

Cons

Middle management is secretive, disloyal, possibly over worked and under compensated thus passing their negativity onto employees.

You claim to work under the mission statement and core values...however you take away a free meal away from volunteers, you claim to provide advancement for employees yet it takes over a year to negotiate a union contract for an education fund. The point I'm attempting to make is just to be a man or woman of your word, instead of making up sensational stories to portray a set of core values and or mission statement that are simply out of reach.

I wish the nuns still controlled the company

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company's stated mission and core values are noble; your job makes a difference in the lives of real people. The culture in most areas of the company is refreshingly different than the corporate for-profit world. Generally speaking most folks are very kind and professional with one another. The flexible work hours are nice benefit.

Cons

Compensation seems to always be lagging whereas the executives don't seem to have a problem getting raises, even during layoffs and pay freezes for the rest of the company, this didn't happen when the nuns (the Sisters) ran the Board of Directors. The executives seem to ignore the core values when it suits them. Every year they take a little more away from the benefits.

Stop being so greedy, invest in your workforce, be more open and honest, and increase compensation.

Great people but western medicine hospitals are going down hill

Former Employee - Biomedical in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Biomedical in Portland, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

For the most part I'd say Providence is staffed with wonderfully loving and helpful folks who really believe that what they're doing makes a difference in lives.

Cons

Overrun by politics and governmental bureaucracy...as most hospitals probably are these days.

Bean counters aren't what makes a good hospital, albeit they might be necessary, but you're taking the heart out of caring for the ill.

Providence Health & Services Photos