Providence Health & Services

Providence Health & Services Reviews

Updated October 24, 2014
Updated October 24, 2014

Rodney F. Hochman

Pros
  • Compared to other places, work-life balance in my area is exceptionally good (in 14 reviews)

• The core values of Providence are amazing (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little flexibility which hinders any kind work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management has too much power to exercise retaliatory acts against employees (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Fine

I have been working at Providence Health & Services

Pros

It's a job, decent pay.

Cons

Can be high stress at times

None

Great place to work and have a meaningful career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At the top level, Providence makes a valiant effort to keep the mission, core values and vision at the core of why they do what they do, and still remain competitive. How that translates throughout the organization varies, but my experience has been outstanding. The people I work with are smart, forward thinking, diverse, and make it easy to come to work every day. I believe my managers are committed to my professional development. Compared to other places, work-life balance in my area is exceptionally good. They've hired some impressive executive leadership in Renton. It's too early to tell what kind of impact they will have, but so far, I've been impressed with their strategic plans and high expectations.

Cons

The culture and expectations aren't consistent throughout the organization. There are some areas that are really very good and others that aren't. Centralizing operational management to Renton is upsetting some people's old local habits.

Create more opportunities for people who are lower on the totem pole to be heard by their leaders, and their leader's leaders. Be sure managers across the system receive the same cultural training consistently. Keep up the unique and fun activities from mission-inspired work to sports rallies.

Steady decline in management behavior leading to extensive turnover

Former Employee - Administrative Support in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Administrative Support in Portland, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, fair pay, good work environment (physical), good coworkers.

Cons

I worked for Providence Health System for many years with no complaints. After I transferred to the Portland, OR Health Plans division, things started changing. It started well, but over the years I saw unqualified people being promoted to management and even director positions. The managers were untrained and employee morale began declining. I left after a few years, realizing that it was going to continue to get worse. And it did...employees have either left or been fired in droves. We have begun calling this the "Providence way". They do not practice their core values of compassion and respect. It really is not an indicator of your value to be "fired" by Providence, just an indicator of their value as an employer, which is very low.

Promote based on quality of work, training, capabilities and give all a fair chance to advance.

Project Manger II, IT

Current Employee - PM II in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - PM II in Everett, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good People working here, the local mission is outstanding. Very focused on the mission.

Cons

Renton "Corporate" is 1000% disconnected from the art of healing. We are just numbers and stats.

Focus on the mission and core values and money. We are in the black and a non-profit why keep cutting people and jobs and benefits?

Great team, good compensation and hard work...

Current Employee - Manager in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is competitive, good PTO, and I feel there are some legitimate people in senior leadership here. Providence is growing slowly and there seems to be some potential to branch out to other places.

Cons

Promotion potential is limited, they hire a lot of leadership from the outside rather than from within, Mission and Values isn't as much of a focus for some departments. In general the healthcare industry has been hit hard by the ACA and changes across the industry. Not the same resilient industry it once was. For the first time in a long time I've looked at going out into a different industry.

Benchmarking doesn't always relate to every department across the system. Take a deep dive into the numbers, but also look at the individual needs of the department. Also, if you're comparing departments to other similar departments in the system make sure you look at every aspect of these departments. Some do more with less.

Program Manager

Former Employee - Senior Program Management Consultant in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Management Consultant in Renton, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good processes, good cultural values.

Cons

Needs management to be better coordinated on ultimate strategy and goals.

Coordinate and communicate more.

The organization has a fantastic mission and a lot of great people working for it.

Former Employee - Service Desk Analyst in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Service Desk Analyst in Renton, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They truly seem to care about the employees, or did when the sisters where running it. They have decent medical and always seem to have employee activities going on and support a work life balance.

I was there six months, excelled, rose to the top of the technical support team, receiving glowing accolades from managers, supervisors, and customers.

By the forth month I was supporting all regions and being requested for rollouts and overtime. They really like to see people excel, or most do.

Cons

They only give lip service to their culture and values statements. A full day of cultural orientation and ethics training, but they won't apply it to current supervisors or middle managers. I felt like an alter boy trying to get someone's attention and being told shut up and go away.

If you are a contractor and point out a real and glaring problem that is causing harm in the department even in a blind/confidential review, expect to be called on the carpet and removed by a vindictive supervisor, no matter how good or well liked you are. Private and Confidential does not mean private and confidential.

Middle management won't lift a finger either, and they will squash any third party investigation (That is mandated by their own HR department) , it doesn't happen.

Since I left I have met with three others who had worked as long-term fulltime employees in IT, and all of them had issues with the same supervisor. The venders have also had problems working with this supervisor.

I would never be a contractor for their IT ServiceDesk again for any reason as long as it remains under the same leadership.

Just because someone has been there for a while, does not mean they are a good supervisor. Even if you are a new manger to the position, the supervisors you manage might be causing more harm than good.

You must do what is right, not what is expedient.

Besides the problems with IT ServiceDesk supervisors, the IT networking department needs new leadership and a total overhaul of IT procedures and policies. This was ongoing when I left, but I am not sure it is happening fast enough.

Providence has done a good job in looking inviting to the new comer..

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Renton, WA

Pros

The community of co-workers is a great environment with the opportunity to grow into different departments. I love the mission and what Providence does for the community, along with the different training's it provides to it's employees.

Cons

Upper management tends to not be transparent in the decisions they are going to make, this makes for hard transitions between new team members and new leadership.Compensation tends to be a big issue as many are promised the ability to move up in their department, but it doesn't happen.

Fallow through with promises to direct team members, and make sure that each supervisor/department head/manager is doing the same with their team. Transparency to changes good or bad will help in creating a better working environment.

A values based organization where people and patients are important.

Pros

The work life balance and benefits are exceptional. The people are lovely to work with and care about each other. Lots of opportunity to grow and make an impact. There is a strong sense of community and social responsibility to others, Providence gives back in BIG ways. It is a highly collaborative culture.

Cons

A bit slow to change and to stay current with solutions and technology.

Please implement a formal recognition program. Caregivers (employees) need a way to celebrate success and understand how their behavior and performance align with achieving results and delivering exceptional patient care.

Providence is a mission driven organization with great healthcare professionals

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The mission is what makes Providence stand apart from other healthcare companies. The staff are dedicated to their patients and the common commitment to core values and the quality of people who work here makes all the difference. Providence continues to serve our communities and those in need. We have been humble about what we do as an organization. The focus on innovation has brought a positive spotlight to the organization.

Cons

The organization is growing faster than it's infrastructure. With 73,000+ employees the organization is complex and seems slow to respond. This can make some of the leaders feel distant and disconnected from day to day operations. I have the opportunity to work with some great leaders. The systems and tools that need to be in place to support an organization of this size are slow to be implemented.

Maintain a focus on the mission and core values. Don't lose site of what makes Providence a great place to work.

Providence Health & Services Photos