Providence Health & Services

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014
3.1

Rodney F. Hochman

Pros
  • Compared to other places, work-life balance in my area is exceptionally good (in 16 reviews)

• The company's stated mission and core values are noble; your job makes a difference in the lives of real people (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little flexibility which hinders any kind work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management has too much power to exercise retaliatory acts against employees (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Regional manager of sales with a focus on ancillary service.

Former Employee - Regional Director in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Regional Director in Portland, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Providence is a non profit health care system with a strong community focus

Cons

Very large hospital system with poor communication.

Share more about the new vision.

Steady as she goes

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance and compensation with potential to move up if you know the right people or don't make waves.

Cons

To move up you have to know the right people and not make waves. If you are really wanting to change something in healthcare go work for the local hospitals not the system office

Start making decisions and stop trying to make everyone happy.

Project Manger II, IT

Current Employee - PM II in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - PM II in Everett, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good People working here, the local mission is outstanding. Very focused on the mission.

Cons

Renton "Corporate" is 1000% disconnected from the art of healing. We are just numbers and stats.

Focus on the mission and core values and money. We are in the black and a non-profit why keep cutting people and jobs and benefits?

Fine

I have been working at Providence Health & Services

Pros

It's a job, decent pay.

Cons

Can be high stress at times

None

Great team, good compensation and hard work...

Current Employee - Manager in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Spokane, WA

Pros

Compensation is competitive, good PTO, and I feel there are some legitimate people in senior leadership here. Providence is growing slowly and there seems to be some potential to branch out to other places.

Cons

Promotion potential is limited, they hire a lot of leadership from the outside rather than from within, Mission and Values isn't as much of a focus for some departments. In general the healthcare industry has been hit hard by the ACA and changes across the industry. Not the same resilient industry it once was. For the first time in a long time I've looked at going out into a different industry.

Benchmarking doesn't always relate to every department across the system. Take a deep dive into the numbers, but also look at the individual needs of the department. Also, if you're comparing departments to other similar departments in the system make sure you look at every aspect of these departments. Some do more with less.

A values based organization where people and patients are important.

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work life balance and benefits are exceptional. The people are lovely to work with and care about each other. Lots of opportunity to grow and make an impact. There is a strong sense of community and social responsibility to others, Providence gives back in BIG ways. It is a highly collaborative culture.

Cons

A bit slow to change and to stay current with solutions and technology.

Please implement a formal recognition program. Caregivers (employees) need a way to celebrate success and understand how their behavior and performance align with achieving results and delivering exceptional patient care.

Providence is a mission driven organization with great healthcare professionals

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The mission is what makes Providence stand apart from other healthcare companies. The staff are dedicated to their patients and the common commitment to core values and the quality of people who work here makes all the difference. Providence continues to serve our communities and those in need. We have been humble about what we do as an organization. The focus on innovation has brought a positive spotlight to the organization.

Cons

The organization is growing faster than it's infrastructure. With 73,000+ employees the organization is complex and seems slow to respond. This can make some of the leaders feel distant and disconnected from day to day operations. I have the opportunity to work with some great leaders. The systems and tools that need to be in place to support an organization of this size are slow to be implemented.

Maintain a focus on the mission and core values. Don't lose site of what makes Providence a great place to work.

Providence does not extend their mission statement to their employees.

Former Employee - Insurance A/R in Liberty Lake, WA
    Former Employee - Insurance A/R in Liberty Lake, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The only time in my 14 year experience working for Providence that the employees were treated well, was when the department was outsourced and run by companies other than Providence.

Cons

They do not treat their employees equally. They fire long time employees making more money, and keep employees making less, even if they are not meeting standard requirements to keep their jobs. They give too much power to leads, and management is not consistent with their employees. You are treated as a number, and work loads are manipulated to make it impossible to reach goals in order to keep your job. You don't know those that work around you, as you are unable to socialize in any capacity, even if you are asking work related questions.

The absolute worst management in Liberty Lake, Wa Providence building. Has little to do with employees, therefore she doesn't have a understanding on how employees feel, or she just doesn't care. The highest rate of turnover coming from one department, that I've ever witnessed in my 14 miserable years working for Providence. If you think that I'm exaggerating, talk to any current, or past employee, you'll not find a happy one.

Will not work with you.

Pros

Areas outside the main hospital might be ok to work at.

Cons

They do not pay you for the amount of work you do. They pile more and more work on people and give nothing in return. They do not appreciate their employees. They make promises they do not keep. Constantly changes your hours and days of work. Will not work with you. Has people doing jobs and tasks outside their scope of practice and/or license. Fires people for no reason except that they disagree with management. If they have no valid reason do get rid of you, they make it hell so you will quit.

Listen to your employees, stop hiring incompetent managers and staff. Read the reviews we do annually on management and do something about it. Money isn't everything, good quality people are. Pay attention to the turn over rate, there is a reason and usually it's management or the pay.

What Providence thinks about its employees & their families.

Current Employee - Staff RN in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great co-workers! Providence couldn't keep their doors open if it weren't for the fabulous staff that Providence consistently treats poorly.

Cons

Providence to bargaining unit when negotiating insurance benefits: "We would rather your families be seen by other providers than incur the cost of insuring them."
    Providence has their own insurance company, its moving money from one pot to another, not paying out to another source. Providence doesn't care about their employees.

Read the mission statement and apply it equally to all people including your employees.

Providence Health & Services Photos