Providence Health & Services

Updated September 28, 2014
Updated September 28, 2014
3.1

Rodney F. Hochman

Pros
  • depending on which department, there can be good work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

• The core values of Providence are amazing (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little flexibility which hinders any kind work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management has too much power to exercise retaliatory acts against employees (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Not willing to back their employee's.

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Can't think of any. Was good place to work when Health Services was a part of Providence.

Cons

Don't think of working here. Bad place to work..

Wonderful for two years, bad for one, horrible for one.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good experience for interns to 'learn the field.' Benefits were diminished when I was there, are not as good as they were.

Cons

To only pay for 5 holidays a year is one of the lowest in town. Why would a supposed Christian organization not consider Easter a holiday? Work-Life balance was nearly impossible in the department I worked in, as you were expected to do whatever it took to get the work done if the census went up. (In other words, work several hours a week off the clock). To use the word 'leadership' to describe the management in my old department is overstating it. They were bullies, quite comfortable with yelling at employees, doing illegal and unethical things to either fire someone or to 'convince' them to quit. The idea was 'All of you people are expendable; you are SO lucky to be working at an organization as wonderful as Providence, so you had BETTER do what we say at all times, even when we contradict ourselves. AND you'd better smile and LIKE it.'

Actually be connected enough to your 'leadership' to know what they are ACTUALLY doing. Don't believe everything they are telling you. Actually take care of your employees like your wonderful PR would have people believe you are doing. Help employees with prevention of and healing from burnout, which would save you money in the long run, as sustainability should apply to employees, too.

Culture is going downhill

I have been working at Providence Health & Services as a contractor

Pros

Still a fan of the mission but not sure the company is still devoted to its own values.

Cons

Used to be very mission driven and dedicated to helping all people. Now seems like it is all about the bottom line and politics.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent Benefits Bad Pay

Former Employee - Office Services Clerk  in  Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Office Services Clerk in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Providence is a great company if you're a customer. They take care of their customers well, and will have company BBQ's once in a blue moon to give people time to socialize.

Cons

Leadership/Management is disappointing. They all say that they are open to input, but then they bury their heads in the sand, and ignore problems that can lead to incredible failure. No true room for advancement without switching departments. Pay is incredibly low and not market rate.

At cost of living raises of less than 1%, and pay below market rate, you're employees are underpaid, fed up and leaving. Make efforts to increase moral and set the pay at a reasonable rate.

Very closed work community.

Former Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Portland, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Knowing exactly who your patient load will consist of when you walk through the door (also a con). Knowing everyone you will work with.

Cons

Senior employees given precedence...even when they have terrible ideas. Resistant to change. Prone to gossip over professionalism.

Embrace change.

Company not bad, but Rehab department not in good health

Former Employee - Physical Therapy/Rehab Aide  in  Medford, OR
    Former Employee - Physical Therapy/Rehab Aide in Medford, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benifits, nothing else really is too great.

Cons

Management, pay is horrible, movement of locations, not stable.

Look at the people not the numbers. Come see us work for a day then sit behind your desks and judge how were doing by inaccurate graphs.

Providence has provided me with a wide variety of nursing experiences to learn many new skills in 28 years.

Current Employee - STaff Registered Nurse  in  Everett, WA
    Current Employee - STaff Registered Nurse in Everett, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They have always paid fair salaries. And if you are smart and take advantage of opportunities to save your own money they will match a percentage of it. When I retired for the first time I walked away with almost half a million dollars.

Cons

I have seen poor managers just moved around, not outright fired. It could be said that is good to give a person a second chance, But when it is the third and fourth time it is seen then these people need to be encouraged to see opportunities to work else where.

Now a days it is virtuously impossible to get into a management position without a post graduate degree. What happened to spotting a remarkable younger person and grooming them to come up the ranks. You might have found the hardest & smartest working person on your team that way.

Good

Former Employee - Volunteer  in  San Pedro, CA
    Former Employee - Volunteer in San Pedro, CA

I worked at Providence Health & Services part-time for less than a year

Pros

Professional work environment and opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Sometimes an unfriendly work environment.

None

No Transparency. Lack of leadership at the senior level. No vision and direction.

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Burbank, CA

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work schedule compensation is not bad

Cons

Disrespectful executive leaders. Lead by threat not by vision. Back stabbing. Employees are always looking to jump the ship. More than 40% turn over of management in less than a year. More to come.

Choose the right leaders. Learn how to make decisions timely. Be transparent. The organization has lost the understanding of its core values.

I worked at Providence Health & Services

Pros

There have been great staff to work for tg at are dedicated to excellence in patient care.

Cons

The focus of executive leadership has shifted from the mission of the sisters to the financial bottom line. Providence niw only gives lip service with regard to valuing employees when in the past they truly honored and respected employees.

Take a very hard look in the mirror and ask yourself if Mother Joseph would make the same decisions that you are now.

Providence Health & Services Photos

Worked for Providence Health & Services? Contribute to the Community!