Providence Service Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.1
Fletcher Jay McCusker

It has its definite ups and downs!!

Current Employee - Case Manager in Greenville, TX
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Greenville, TX

Pros

The best reasons to work here would be to gain experience and hours toward licensure. It is also a good job if you enjoy flexibility in your weekly schedule.

Cons

Downsides include poor salaries, uncertain future of company, revolving door of coworkers and very disgruntled clients quite often. If management would be more involved with the success and happiness of their case managers they would experience a lot more success in the future. Case managers have a quota per se of client hours to achieve on a weekly basis and sometimes/often that can require a lot of jockeying around - working weekends, etc.....the paperwork that follows this effort is enormous and hardly worth the salaries given!

Advice to Management

Find out what the problems are in the smaller rural offices - more training and support is desperately needed!

Bad all around

Current Employee - Licensed Professional Counselor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Licensed Professional Counselor in Austin, TX

Pros

They will give anyone a job, even with little or no experience.

Cons

Pretty much everything. Management is constantly changing, high employee turnover, unrealistic expectations. Management is very threatening in nature; definitely not coaching or supportive management. Corporate office is also very inept and will not take responsibility for their mistakes. Pay and vacation and benefits in general are poor!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees well and they will stick with you. Your clients are unhappy because they end up with 2-4 different therapists because they keep quitting due to abusive work situations.

3. No Room for advancement at all

Current Employee - Mental Health Support
    Current Employee - Mental Health Support

I have been working at Providence Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros are pretty much nill, you make you own hours, the experience to work with individuals that have mental health issues, the only training is somewhat helpful but very generic, this company is a for profit company, so perhaps investing in while make you money.

Cons

massive paperwork, little resources, no bonuses, high turnover rate, no room for advancement, every month the CEO sends out a very generic newsletter that is not very newsworthy, pressure to provide assistance to people that may not actually need the services.

Advice to Management

get to know your employees, there is little room for advancement that is offered. please get better health benefits.

5. Dependency Case Manager

Former Employee - Case Manager in Labelle, FL
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Labelle, FL

I worked at Providence Service full-time

Pros

It was job that paid the bills and its benefits were OK.

Cons

Case Managers were too over-whelmed. Attestations needed to be filled out to take a vacation. Cases passed on to case managers were not staffed.

Advice to Management

Treat employees better.

6. I resigned due to lack of hours and inconsistent schedule as well as lack of supervision and support.

Former Employee - Behavioral Health Professional in Bangor, ME
    Former Employee - Behavioral Health Professional in Bangor, ME

I worked at Providence Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This job gave me valuable experience working with children with behavioral issues and their families. If one is looking for more experience in the field of mental health, this would be a good route, but maybe working for a different agency. This position also gave me the opportunity to be creative with activities during shifts such as picking out different treatment-related arts and crafts, etc.

Cons

I was promised $15,000 yearly salary plus incentive of $20 per hour after reaching 30 billable hours per pay period. Due to lack of clients and absurd schedule (plus driving time and trainings which do not count as billable hours), I never met my billable expectation once during the 6 months of my employment with this company. Despite advocating for myself and informing my supervisor of my financial obligations that I was unable to meet, I was not given more clients or more hours in a reasonable amount of time. I do not feel as though I received adequate support in this position, and the methods of communication between BHP staff and clinicians was extremely poor (ie: I learned 15 minutes before my shift with a family that my client had been hospitalized nearly a week before and no one told me!) I was not satisfied with the amount of supervisor feedback regarding my performance, and only met with my supervisor once every month or less. Also, because this agency is NOT a non-profit organization, employees do not qualify for any student loan forgiveness programs.

Advice to Management

Enforce a policy for supervisors to actually check their emails and voicemails, and ensure that BHPs are given adequate support and realistic methods of achieving billable expectations.

7. Expected to do too much work with too little resources

Former Employee - Therapist in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Therapist in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Providence Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company was willing to give me lots of experience and really grow in my abilities in the behavioral health field.

Cons

Providence is a publicly held company that makes a profit from medicaid billing. Profitability seemed to be the bottom line over client care.

8. LMHC

Current Employee - LMHC in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - LMHC in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Providence Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees are very friendly and nice

Cons

Too much paperwork, too much of required billing to make quota

Advice to Management

Management is good, the supervisors. The upper management has no clue what goes on in the field or in the front offic.

9. Too much pressure to make unrealistic profits

I worked at Providence Service full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Leave policy was very generous, if leave time was approved. Opportunities for advancement if you are a hard worker.

Cons

Emphasis is on profits over employees and consumers. Top down driven leadership.Expect to work 12 hour days as the norm.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees and ask for their feedback instead of hiring consultants and laying off people without notice.

10. Providence is a well intentioned community of mental health professionals with operational difficulties.

Former Employee - Child and Family Counselor (BHT) in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Child and Family Counselor (BHT) in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Attitude towards work life balance and time off are very generous. Coworkers are honest, dedicated, and fun to work with.

Cons

Management is disorganized and engages in infighting. Due to management infighting, employees have difficulty working across departments. Leadership does not send clear messages to employees.

Advice to Management

Consider reorganizing mid-level management or providing less ambiguous directives that improve inter-group unity.

11. I've worked with the company a year.

Pros

Laid back work environment. Flexible. No micro-managing.

Cons

Never give raises based upon what long standing employees of company indicate. Lousy healthcare coverage.

Advice to Management

Reward your workers. Get better healthcare for employees and their families.

RSS Feed </> Embed