Provident Credit Union

Updated September 25, 2014
Updated September 25, 2014
4.0

Wayne Bunker

"Great Company to Work At"

Current Employee - Personal Account Advisor in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Personal Account Advisor in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Provident Credit Union full-time (less than an year)

Pros

"Awesome loan rates and benefits, also includes many incentives that drive you to boost your knowledge to assist members with clarity. Training was great and gave you a good taste of exactly what to expect and guided on the best route to take to assist members in the most beneficial way possible."

Cons

"Difficult to manage work/life balance. PTO and hours are not the most flexible. Fear of calling in if you are sick due to the fact that it effects your overall evaluation significantly."

GREAT OPPORTUNITIES!

Current Employee - Personal Account Advisor in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Provident Credit Union full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love working for Provident because they are very supportive of what your interests are. Also, they give individuals like me a chance to grow and experience new things that I've never done before. The hours are great & I love the support that I get from management. Benefits are amazing!

Cons

The only thing that I would say would be a CON is how PTO works.

The only advice I would give to management is have contest for SALES REFERRALS to encourage agents to do more sales referrals.

They will milk you for every ounce of production and never give you a raise.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Provident Credit Union full-time

Pros

Good medical and vision benefits for the employee, but not dependents. I was fortunate to hire and work with great employees, but management and above is a complete joke.

Cons

Provident Credit Union does not have the credit union mentality at all! They do not appreciate their employees and do not do much to support their communities. Upper management openly states their philosophy that any employee is replaceable but then is angry at the high rate of turnover. No matter how well you do, you are always under the microscope and the company will always demand MORE MORE MORE. They will carry as few staff as possible and demand an unreasonable amount of sales production from each employee - the sales goals go up every year and the compensation goes down. Many of the sales goals contradict each other so it is virtually impossible to meet all your goals, making it impossible to avoid scrutiny from upper management. Salaried employees are expected to work 10 hours a day and sometimes 6 days a week. Good luck actually being able to use your PTO. Also, they do not give annual raises. The only way to get a raise is to get promoted (an extremely difficult feat since they do not promote within), and if you do manage to get a promotion, you will likely regret taking it.

Learn how to value your employees. Say what you mean and mean what you say. Stop managing by fear.

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Lending Department in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Lending Department in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Provident Credit Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Provident has great overall benefits. The team that I work with are hardworking and quality-service oriented. My supervisor encourages and mentors my professional growth.

Cons

Provident needs to become more family friendly by offering dependent care health coverage. They could also explore more flexible work hour schedules and telecommuting.

We would really like to see and hear from you more often. Our CEO is amazing, but we seldom see him anymore. He always inspires us to do our best, but we also know that he really cares about us.

Possibly the best employer I've worked for

I have been working at Provident Credit Union full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people in my department, we have had many of the same people since I started with Provident. PCU is definitely the employer I've worked for the longest in my life.

Cons

Upper management has their heads in the clouds much of if not all of the time.
    As petty as it sounds, they stopped having an annual awards banquet a few years ago and the cohesiveness within the company hasn't been the same since.

Perhaps treat the branch staff a little better, there is more churn with our branch staff than Kraft Foods has at their butter factory.

Good Place to work

Current Employee - Personal Account Advisor in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Provident Credit Union full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, decent profit sharing and work hours.

Cons

unflexible vacation schedule, does not promote from with in.

Work Hard or Get Out.

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Provident Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent sales incentive payout plan, corporate condo available for employee use and never boring. If you are a motivated sales person you can make decent payouts.

Cons

No work/life balance, fear management tactics, unflexible PTO and time off schedules, slim branch staffing for amount of sales and business development that is expected.

Senior Management should investigate further why branch turn over is so high... they'll be shocked to see what they find. Lots of retaliation happening from Middle Managers downward.

I can't really complain...

Current Employee - Provident Cheerleader in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Provident Cheerleader in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Provident Credit Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Obviously some other reviewers haven't taken full-advantage, but I know I have.

** Best possible mortgage rates and payment plan available for employees (even my rental property got an amazing rate; that alone would keep me here)
    ** Best possible car note rate and payment schedule - you will be living in an easy situation here.
    ** Full coverage medical/dental/vision (kaiser medical) for FT employees, and you only pay a very small amount for Blue Cross.
    ** College Tuition Reimbursement: $5k total each year if your degree is to benefit your career path at PCU. I used this and it really REALLY helped me financially.
    ** Profit Sharing for those who are hourly (I am pretty sure all commission folks are exempt, but when I worked hourly, this was basically an extra pay check twice a year... a huge bonus!)
    ** Free lunch twice a year (I personally hate the caterer in the building so it's actually a CON for me, but... it's free food and many people love it so who am I to complain? :))
    ** There is a preschool/daycare center within HQ and it's cheaper than almost any daycare out there and it's top rated (discounts for PCU employees). It's open from 7am-7pm so it'll fit anyone's schedule.
    ** There's a cafe/caterer on site so you don't have to leave to eat; but if you walk a short distance it's centrally located to other restaurants/eateries.
    ** There is a definite sense of clique's here - but in my personal opinion, I like that. Everyone here is pretty much on the same level: get more members, make better numbers, do better business. If you don't fit in, it's probably because you're lazy or assume things will be handed to you. (sorry for the bluntness).
    ** Honest people who support one another: if you are within the "clique" and you run a tight ship and you do your best with regard to effort, everyone helps you, everyone supports you, and you'll be the happiest employee here.

Cons

** For Benefits: For your dependants it's better to purchase your own plan, PCU doesn't cover it at all nor is it competitive.
    ** For Benefits: They purposefully keep people at less than full-time to avoid giving benefits and the pay rate to purchase benefits is more than you make at times, so it's very difficult for PT-ers (I personally would never work here for PT, but that's just me)
    ** The Management Staff is bombarded with info 24/7, so much so that the branches are at a complete disconnect with the HQ at times.
    ** Turnover is VERY bad in the branches. It's sad but it relates to miscommunications, laziness, and quite frankly, HR - they need to start hiring more ambitious, outgoing, sales people. Not introverts... no one wants to see a shy Sally in a branch... PCU is going through a learning curve type transition at the moment, and I have faith that soon HR will begin to hire more adequate folks and attempt to keep them longer.
    ** No Company Wide events. They do a bulletin event that they try to pass off as fun - it's not... lol. But it is informative. They used to have a big ball each year, they cut that saying it was budget - it wasn't, we're doing just fine. Hoping they bring back events to boost morale as many people here are disgruntled lately.

Push for team building events. Hire outgoing sales-oriented folks (worry less about credit and background... we don't pay enough to be that picky!). Keep staff longer than 1-2 years, that's barely enough time to be fully trained - we have a lot of products and services and we need knowledgable employees. And lastly, keep in your mind that a happy employee is the best possible sales person and PR you can have for PCU. (Like me!)

Unethical

I worked at Provident Credit Union full-time

Pros

Good credit and financial services benefits as well as healthcare

Cons

Compnay tries to act like they are a fortune 500 company and can't understand why they can't compete with the BofA's Chase and other similar companies. From the top down, management manages by fear, they never support you (regardless if you perform your fiduciary responsiblities in the best interest of your staff and the organization as a whole). Seems like HR and executives are blind to what happens within their branches or turn a blind eye. Huge turn over rate at the branch level and when you ask your direct manager for help it is sometimes look at as a challenge tot them or they question you back - because they don't know the answer themselves. Career opportunities for advancement do not exist.

Wake up!

Supportive management and excellent work environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Provident Credit Union

Pros

Easy to do business with. Voted b est credit union to work for every year.

Cons

Compensation could be more competitive

Thanks for the continued support and guidance!