Provident Credit Union Reviews

Wayne Bunker

1. High Marks

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Provident Credit Union (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits and stable company.

Cons

Limited opportunity for growth and mediocre workplace culture.

Provident...Not the best place to work

I worked at Provident Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Provident has great health benefits. And they'll occasionally give you free lunch.

Cons

Provident is definitely trending in the wrong direction. For an organization that prides themselves in making $2 billion in assets last year, they don't care much about the employees which are the ones that made it possible. Upper management increases the sales goal every year because they know the branches can produce. But the employees that work at the branch level never gets a pay raise because of the "great incentive program". The incentive plan is a joke. Sure, we get the occasional free lunch but that doesn't help with the cost of living. Its actually kind of unfair since people that work at corporate get raises and yearly bonuses.

Advice to Management

Senior management should get together and figure out why the organization has so many open positions.

3. The team that I worked with is awesome

Former Employee - Msr in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Msr in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Provident Credit Union

Pros

Fair pay, easy incentives and the staff is great!

Cons

Provide expensive health benefits to part-timers.

Advice to Management

Management team is very supportive.

Good company but unfortunately there isn't much room to grow your career.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Provident Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health Beneifits for the employee are 100% covered by employer. Company offers discretionary profit sharing 2x per year. They have 2 condos for employees to use that are based on seniority. Upper management is very approachable!

Cons

The company doesn't offer any type of career planning services. When it comes time for the annual performance review, management caps the merit increase at such a low number that there isn't any incentive to want to grow within the company or take on additional roles.

Advice to Management

The merit increases shouldn't be so static that I can calculate how much I will make after my performance review before I even receive it.

Overwhelming, Not enough support.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Provident Credit Union

Pros

Provident is a great employer. The company provides great benefits. We do monthly meetings for the whole staff, corporate and branches involvement. Branches via live webinar, and we get a free lunch. Headquarters staffing are helpful. I would work for Provident all over again under a different management Team.

Cons

At this particulat branch since it is isolated, there was not enough time for proper training. Not enough staffing, so when calling in sick, need to get off early or requesting for pto, you know its going to be either getting guilt trips or causing a burden. This place needs a clean up and more staffing. I would refer my friends to other branches Or HQ.

Advice to Management

Stop the micro management. When you hire someone new, properly train them and actually do it. Have more staffing! Having only two tellers, one full and one part time, is not enough. Rather than having the "personal account officer" go on the teller line, rather than catching up on followup calls or loan packets, just push to hire another part time teller if you cant afford a full time. Why is the Personal Account Officer titled that if really it should be"Universal Associate"? Management needs to stop being lazy and actually take in some responsibilities rather then pushing it off to their employees. Treat your employees like they actually belong their. We want to feel valued for our hard work, not just a replacement tag. Talk to us like we are adults, not your kids still in high school. We deserve respect, not just someone you can talk down to and when confronted about it, your in complete denial. What a joke.

"Great Company to Work At"

Current Employee - Personal Account Advisor in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Personal Account Advisor in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Provident Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

"Awesome loan rates and benefits, also includes many incentives that drive you to boost your knowledge to assist members with clarity. Training was great and gave you a good taste of exactly what to expect and guided on the best route to take to assist members in the most beneficial way possible."

Cons

"Difficult to manage work/life balance. PTO and hours are not the most flexible. Fear of calling in if you are sick due to the fact that it effects your overall evaluation significantly."

GREAT OPPORTUNITIES!

Current Employee - Personal Account Advisor in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Personal Account Advisor in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Provident Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working for Provident because they are very supportive of what your interests are. Also, they give individuals like me a chance to grow and experience new things that I've never done before. The hours are great & I love the support that I get from management. Benefits are amazing!

Cons

The only thing that I would say would be a CON is how PTO works.

Advice to Management

The only advice I would give to management is have contest for SALES REFERRALS to encourage agents to do more sales referrals.

They will milk you for every ounce of production and never give you a raise.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Provident Credit Union full-time

Pros

Good medical and vision benefits for the employee, but not dependents. I was fortunate to hire and work with great employees, but management and above is a complete joke.

Cons

Provident Credit Union does not have the credit union mentality at all! They do not appreciate their employees and do not do much to support their communities. Upper management openly states their philosophy that any employee is replaceable but then is angry at the high rate of turnover. No matter how well you do, you are always under the microscope and the company will always demand MORE MORE MORE. They will carry as few staff as possible and demand an unreasonable amount of sales production from each employee - the sales goals go up every year and the compensation goes down. Many of the sales goals contradict each other so it is virtually impossible to meet all your goals, making it impossible to avoid scrutiny from upper management. Salaried employees are expected to work 10 hours a day and sometimes 6 days a week. Good luck actually being able to use your PTO. Also, they do not give annual raises. The only way to get a raise is to get promoted (an extremely difficult feat since they do not promote within), and if you do manage to get a promotion, you will likely regret taking it.

Advice to Management

Learn how to value your employees. Say what you mean and mean what you say. Stop managing by fear.

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Lending Department in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Lending Department in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Provident Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Provident has great overall benefits. The team that I work with are hardworking and quality-service oriented. My supervisor encourages and mentors my professional growth.

Cons

Provident needs to become more family friendly by offering dependent care health coverage. They could also explore more flexible work hour schedules and telecommuting.

Advice to Management

We would really like to see and hear from you more often. Our CEO is amazing, but we seldom see him anymore. He always inspires us to do our best, but we also know that he really cares about us.

Possibly the best employer I've worked for

I have been working at Provident Credit Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people in my department, we have had many of the same people since I started with Provident. PCU is definitely the employer I've worked for the longest in my life.

Cons

Upper management has their heads in the clouds much of if not all of the time. As petty as it sounds, they stopped having an annual awards banquet a few years ago and the cohesiveness within the company hasn't been the same since.

Advice to Management

Perhaps treat the branch staff a little better, there is more churn with our branch staff than Kraft Foods has at their butter factory.

RSS Feed </> Embed