Provident Funding Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Not too difficult to move around in the company, however managers were treated disrespectfully.

Former Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Provident Funding full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The salary was not bad.

Cons

Upper management yelled at managers when standards were not met. Too much emphasis was placed on numbers and working overtime.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect and provide work-life balance. Provide a matching 401k.

2. PF is a great starting company

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Provident Funding full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great compensation
    Work is always available if one division is slow, so they do not fire people when things are slow.

Cons

Advancement is tough
    Make promises they don't keep
    High stress throughout the office
    They do not consider you a good employee unless you work OT every day its available
    Benefits are weak

Advice to Management

Make better efforts to tell employees how it is instead of offering positions and not providing

3. You are treated like a machine in a factory

I have been working at Provident Funding full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary with steady raises each year (base salary was pretty high compared to other jobs in mortgage and you get bonuses when work is flowing), knowledgeable leads are very willing to help you learn the industry

Cons

Monotonous job-be expected to perform the same tasks/make the same calls all day, everyday.

Advice to Management

Provide more cross-training opportunities to employees who really want them- don't just move employees into departments without knowing if that's what they want

5. Get what you give

I have been working at Provident Funding full-time (More than a year)

Pros

•Upper management-We have conference calls once a month where members of upper management talk to us about the past month, future goals and what is going on in the mortgage world. I’ve never gotten off a conference call not feeling confident about the company’s future. Upper management really seems to have it together.
    •In periods where companies in the mortgage industry are laying off employees in droves, Provident Funding seems committed to making the best of the situation by either cross-training employees or restructuring to take advantage of other opportunities in the sector.
    •Little micromanaging- Many branches don’t even have management at the branch. When management is in the branch, they sit in the bullpen with the rest of the employees and make themselves easily available and approachable.
    •Career opportunities- If you make an effort, they’ll make an effort. This is a fairly small company so every employee has the opportunity to be recognized. In the time I’ve been with the company, I’ve been given so many opportunities-some without me even having to ask. If you do a good job, you’ll be rewarded.
    •Great work environment- They recruit people based on the obvious grades, extracurricular, etc., but they also take into account the other employees at the branch and how a candidate would fit in with current employees.
    Way more pros than cons to this company, this is a really great company to work for and those complaining probably didn't realize what they had/have

Cons

•They could be a little more flexible when it comes to the 8-5 work day. I’m sure some employee abused a more flexible work day and ruined it for the rest of us, but it would be nice if we could a schedule doctor’s appointment over our lunch break and not break out in a cold sweat trying to get back to the office within the hour.
    •They don’t provide a 401K match.

Advice to Management

Keep Summer Fridays, be a little more flexible, and consider a 401K match after an employee has been with the company an X amt. of time

6. So so

I have been working at Provident Funding full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Helping people save money/afford their houses
    -You can create your own work outside of pure production if you have good ideas and management's approval
    -commission income when business is good
    -Ability to learn personal finance
    -Like-minded, helpful and compatible coworkers
    -Annual raise after OK starting pay
    -relatively flat org structure
    -Good training program
    -Understanding and communication with manager

Cons

-It took too long to be cross-trained from closing to underwriting
    -commission structure needs to be updated to new regional model
    -Small office setting with 6 people doesn't suit me
    -You hit the ceiling quickly (very few promotions)
    -Work can get repetitive, especially if you don't have authorization to perform different tasks
    -Looking for work when business is slow

Advice to Management

-Correct the commission structure
    -Give employees more responsibility
    -Match 401k contributions
    -Give more PTO
    -Allow more flexible schedule, like summer Friday

7. Company executes well, room for employees to take ownership

I have been working at Provident Funding full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flat structure, little micromanaging, breadth and variety of job duties, compensation, overtime often available, stable company, doesn't implement fads or gimmicks but builds momentum through consistent execution of the basics, leading to continuity in work expectations and environment.

Cons

"Soft" employee perks such as fringe benefits package and scheduling flexibility

Advice to Management

Opportunities for increasing scheduling flexibility without detrimentally affecting production exist and can be taken advantage of to increase worker satisfaction

8. Underwriter

Current Employee - Underwriter

I have been working at Provident Funding full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Training is available and you can get a job right out if college with no experience. Raises were always generous

Cons

Management often moves employees around without first discussing with the employee if that's something they even want to do.

Advice to Management

Provide a 401k match. Sick time/vacation days are minimal. Earning only one day a month for sick/vacation time doesn't allot for people to make dr appts, go on vacation and get sick in a year.

9. A perspective from a previous employee.

Current Employee - Underwriter

I have been working at Provident Funding full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good opportunity for overtime, good opportunity to earn small monthly bonuses and maybe a christmas bonus. Good opportunity to learn some corporate culture. Sometimes you have great co-workers and awesome branch leads. I was fortunate to have both. Good out of college job.

Cons

Here is where the cons really stack up. Provident Funding being my first job, in which they only target college graduates, I guess you could say I was naive. Having been at my employer for a few months, I can honestly say Provident Funding was one of the worst companies I have worked for.

1) No freedom over your time. Be in at 8am, take one hour lunch during a specified time because you will be answering phone calls all day and you need someone to pick up the phone. Leave at 5pm. I guess this is just an hourly thing, however, you were definitely not in charge of your time.
    2) Benefits are very lean. Little PTO, no sick which is fine but then you need to provide more PTO. Health plan is very lean and you pay a lot for it.
    3) Work is not creative at all. You look at the exact same thing day in day out. Sure you get opportunities to look at other things but the company is run like a factory.
    4) CEO states it's great to switch roles and be put into different roles. Most professionals would laugh and walk if they were told this, but being naive, I ate it up. You were basically made to be a jack of all trades, but the work again is very monotonous, it wasn't like being able to do some creative work.

I'm very happy to be where I am. For those that need a couple years to make some money and pay off student loans, this isn't a bad job, but this shouldn't be your "career".

Advice to Management

None, I had no problems with management.

10. Unfulfilled. Monotonous.

I have been working at Provident Funding

Pros

If you have leverage, you can argue for a pretty decent salary and have pretty good access to the higher ups.

Cons

You'll be unfulfilled and won't enjoy your job. If you aren't in the inner circle, your salary will suck and you will not be happy.

Advice to Management

Don't hire if there is nothing to do. There are many intelligent people there would would like to do more, but there simply isn't enough decent work to do.

Worst Job I've Ever Had

Former Employee - Audit Department in Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Audit Department in Burlingame, CA

I worked at Provident Funding full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Probably the only thing that this company has going for it, in terms of employment, is that it's a job. The CEO does know what he's doing but that's about it.

Cons

Provident is run by one family, husband and wife, brother, father, and a family friend. They have absolutely NO idea about hanging onto good employees and the place is run exactly like a factory. Come into work at 8 am, work work work until 5 pm, go home and repeat the next day. Sometimes they expect you to come in on weekends. I worked in the Audit department and when I was there they told me to do one thing before the audits went out and then another thing when the audits were disputed. Almost all major audits were disputed and removed so what's the point of even having an audit department? They expected you to literally do the work of two people and to be happy doing it. They'd have company-wide conference calls every once in a while and talk the talk about how much they value their employees and unless things have radically changed since I left in 2010, don't believe a word of it. If you quit, don't even bother asking for any recommendations, they do the bare minimum in terms of verifying your job with your new employer - it's like they're vindictive but in a childish way. The mid-levels have a huge chip on their shoulder because they're given a little responsibility. Five holidays per year, you work the day after thanksgiving. The day before thanksgiving and Christmas Eve, expect to stay until 5 pm, they won't let you out early. I ended up quitting and going back to school to do something different - completely soured my outlook on working in Finance.

Advice to Management

Restructure, get rid of the mid-levels and hire good people. Do what you can to make them feel valued and appreciated.

RSS Feed </> Embed