Provo Canyon School

Bill Parkes
1 Rating

Current employee perspective

I have been working at Provo Canyon School

Pros

I have enjoyed working for Provo Canyon School now for many years and feel very blessed in working with amazing, compassionate, competent, and caring individuals who are dedicated to helping children and youth heal. I am a better person for working at provo canyon school and feel fortunate I been able to work with the youth and children. I have seen many students lives changed for the positive and the healing process take place in their lives. Provo canyon school has given me opportunities for promotion, as well as increase my skills and abilities.

Cons

While I have had some trying/growing experiences there, it has been an opportunity for my own individual personal growth.

Appreciate all the support, dedication & leadership they offer to employees.

Not willing to make changes

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor

I worked at Provo Canyon School full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Provo Canyon accepts extremely high-risk kids. The kids' risk levels were definitely lowered while they were in our care. It was great being able to build relationships with kids from all over the country and world. Your problems in life always seem less when you are looking at some of these kids and the lives they have led. The company is full of people who genuinely care, and want the best for the kids. I loved working there for the kids, and the relationships you build with your co-workers. You had to rely on each other, because you were often being put in potentially dangerous situations.

You eat free meals with the kids while you are on shift, so it appeals to the college crowd. The benefits package is the best one I've ever had, sometimes I still miss my benefits from PCS! This is a product of the company being owned by the much larger Universal Health Services. The schedule works well for students going to school during the day (7-3, 3-11, 11-7) and the shorter shifts on the weekends were nice.

Cons

You will not have a Saturday/Sunday weekend. It will either be Monday/Tuesday or Thursday/Friday.

The company is full of "lifers" who have worked there for decades. The problem with this is that what we understand about psychology, mental illness, and behavioral problems has changed so much in the past 40 years. The company took its sweet time adjusting things to the current research-based standard. Now that it has begun to do that, it's playing catch up. They are quietly getting rid of the lifers, but often without cause.

You will deal with a lot of disrespect. You will be asked to write reports that nudge the truth into justifiable language. You will be involved in take downs (which they will not call that, as it sounds off-putting) and you will watch nurses inject kids with sedatives when they get out of control. If you can handle watching and participating in that, the benefits package is great.

You will be asked to work overtime, to work doubles, and even triples. Be prepared for that, as there will also be flakes you work with, and someone has to watch the kids. (unless you can have that on your conscience)

Do not be afraid to change things up, try something new. Get rid of the old timers who shoot down every idea for improvement. Hold focus groups with an anonymous bunch of line staff. You will be surprised at the advice and ideas they give you. Listen to your people, they are what keep you in business. You have gone through 3 different CEOs recently. Make this one stick by listening to the people who have seen the others come and go.

Get rid of the condescension, the people who believe themselves above these kids. Listen to the kids when they write grievances. Some of them are spot on.

Nepotism, highly judgemental and apathetic attitudes need to stay out from working with youths.

Former Employee - Team Coach in Provo, UT

I worked at Provo Canyon School full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Love the fact that I was able to connect and meet young lives from all across the country that really need a compassionate spirit and person to help them achieve their goals. Learned a few good things from the Psychologists and Directors of the campuses. They do try to honor their worker's as best as they can.

Cons

Watching kids be overly medicated was awful. The pay wasnt that great for 10 buck an hour and I worked a ton of overtime cause staff constantly flaked, called out sick or quit. The food was subpar, please do something about that for these poor kids. Some of the staff members had really harsh attitudes towards the girls of color, particularly of Black/African American descent. The staff's lack of diversity at the female cottage is probably the main reason why the girls of color have it so hard, no one to really identify them at a deeper level. I understand that it is a Behavioral cottage / school, but there could really be better and creative ways to change these girls lives for better rather than the constant restraining, isolation and medicating.

There needs to be rigorous reviews of all your staff members on a regular basis. Increase the pay to be relevant with the cost of living for goodness sake and please monitor your campuses better with the mission and intent to heal versus countering that with these condescending staff members that defeat that purpose in more ways than 1.

Corrupt Company

I worked at Provo Canyon School

Pros

Fun co-workers
    Free food on the job

Cons

Company only cares about making a profit, not employees

Its a great learning experience, and a great way to learn about behavioral issues with early adolescence.

Current Employee - Team Coach in Springville, UT
    Current Employee - Team Coach in Springville, UT

I have been working at Provo Canyon School full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great personal benefits, great team work, great environment.

Cons

not enough staff patient ratio.

Provide more privileges for responsible patients. Allow more staff to work on the swing shifts.

Difference between higher-level and lower-level management

I have been working at Provo Canyon School part-time

Pros

- The lower-level management takes care of their people - adequate training, support, etc.
    - Working with therapists and the kids to help them make positive life changes can be very rewarding

Cons

- Upper-level management cuts on hours and staff without regard to the quality of their product - the care of the patients that they admit.
    - Patients can be very aggressive and manipulative - you need to stay on top of both your emotions and the situations you are in charge of.

Even if you lose a little money, keep up the number of staff. Going under profit by a little bit while still insuring a high-quality product (enough staff to help the patients stay under control and make positive lifestyle changes) is much better than saving a little profit and causing conditions in the school to be chaos.

No interview

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Provo, UT

I have been working at Provo Canyon School

Pros

Showed up and they gave me an interview packet to fill out. Never asked me any questions just had me fill out paperwork

Cons

Company was bought by larger company which is eroding pay and benfits. No upward movement at within company for medical staff

Try to realize that employees are valuable assests to the company dont fire without cause which happens a lot here

good for college student, not for long term

I worked at Provo Canyon School

Pros

free food, no "real" work besides babysitting teenage *ssholes

Cons

schedule (nights, holidays, weekends). you'll find yourself being around other peoples kids instead of your own.

have flexibility when people want to take some time off. know that the guys work year in and year out, often times during holidays.

A decent place to work, but not my ideal long-term position

I worked at Provo Canyon School

Pros

In my position, I had a very flexible schedule. But overall, the biggest pro would have to be the opportunity for rewarding experiences working with youth.

Cons

The youth can be very belligerent, rude, and even aggressive. You have to be able to not take things personally, because you will at some point be personally (usually just verbally) attacked.
    I felt like there was animosity between different departments at times. Rather than working as a cohesive team of service providers, the various departments (and employees within those departments) seemed to butt heads a lot and were not willing to share resources.

Ask for and respect the feedback you receive from employees. They are the ones dealing with the students and the program structure on a daily basis and could give very useful and constructive feedback about how to better serve the students.

Provo canyon school

Former Employee - Staff in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Staff in Provo, UT

I worked at Provo Canyon School

Pros

helping troubled youth that got sent there from state or school district

Cons

little respect from management to staff

care about the employees more